Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court (21484 Views)

JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education / Breaking News: Candidates, Parents Demand Cancellation Of 2016 UTME / JAMB Explains Admission Procedure To Protesting Candidates, Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by vickylois(f): 10:37am On Jul 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by ibkgab001: 10:37am On Jul 24, 2015
Cut off
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by spicy244(f): 10:39am On Jul 24, 2015
shocked 250?
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Idydarling(f): 10:39am On Jul 24, 2015
Thank God for God o, i don pass ds jamb wahala
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Sanfranka(m): 10:41am On Jul 24, 2015
Guys this really getting out of hand..... Prof Dirbu would told us this thing ealier than playing with our future. "does he care, he does'nt" bcus none of his offspring is studying in Nigeria.... God plz grant me admission into Michael okpara uni of agric umudike.... Jamb score 185.... Plz God
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Israel5(m): 10:45am On Jul 24, 2015
Goodluck
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by adedayourt(m): 10:46am On Jul 24, 2015
CuteMaryJ:
Parents and candidates of Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, set to be stopped from sitting the forthcoming post-UTME, University of Lagos, by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, are dragging the board to the court today (Friday).

They will be praying the court to stop further sale of post-UTME form in public universities. Hundreds of UTME candidates had on Wednesday stormed UNILAG toprotest against the decision by the institution to stop them from sitting for the post-UTME.

The candidates alleged that the authorities of the university, in liaison with the JAMB, had rolled out a new admission procedure that prevented them from taking the examination to secure admission into the ivory tower.

UNILAG and JAMB had defended their different involvements in theexercise.While the Head of Public Relations, JAMB, Dr. Benjamin Fabian, said the board did not intentionally exclude any candidate, the Registrar, UNILAG, Dr. Taiwo Ipaye, said the university was only working with the post-UTME screening list sent by JAMB, adding that only candidates whose names were forwarded to UNILAG by JAMB were eligible for the 2015/2016 post-UTME screening.

The President, Association of Tutorial School Operators of Nigeria, Mr. Sodunke Oludotun, who led the Wednesday protest to UNILAG premises, told our correspondent in an interview that the affected parents and students had agreed to seek redress in court on the matter. He said their lawyer would file the suit against JAMB at the Federal High Court in Ikoyi today (Friday). Oludotun said,

“We have decided to go to court. We will be in court on Friday. Mr. Femi Falana is aware. Our lawyer too is going to file the court process on Friday.

On Friday, all the students and their parents are following us to the court in Ikoyi. We are going to protest there. On our way to the court, we are going to block the Third Mainland Bridge before getting to the court. Our lawyer said all the people that heard of the case in the court were very angry when he went there today (Wednesday). It is annoying. That is one step we are going to take.”

He added that the protesters would also involve Falana, a human rights activist and Senior Advocate of Nigeria on the matter. The protesters had on Wednesday alleged that the university raised its cut-off to 250 marks against the recommended 180 marks by JAMB.

JAMB had, on July 14, after its sixth consultative meeting with stakeholders in Abuja, pegged the cut-off mark to 180 for candidates seeking university admission and 150 marks for those seeking places in polytechnics and colleges of education.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/cut-off-mark-candidates-parents-head-for-court/

k
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by blessednamso: 10:46am On Jul 24, 2015
Wow!

Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Captain6(m): 10:47am On Jul 24, 2015
Waste of time and resources, the jambites should either embrace the new policy or try again next year.
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by otokx(m): 10:48am On Jul 24, 2015
Good move, let JAMB go and defend its actions in court.
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by poposki33: 10:49am On Jul 24, 2015
this is stupid policy
why didn't they give those eligible admission straight away!
why didn't they make the process public so people can know they are not being bias!
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by ApexTitan(m): 10:52am On Jul 24, 2015
sexymoma:
They want them to get 250 and above before gaining admission into unversity....as if say Jamb dey mark scripts with mercy
Young pple never begin dey rub for bank ooo dem jos start.... It not only an idle mind that is devil's workshop this days, A Frustrated soul is the worse..... man pikin write jamb, rally round gather money ooo, get 200, only to discover say na 250....
Even Nigeria environment sef shey e dey conducive for person to read sef... Abi dem think say na Uk we dey ni...This country is a joke.

Wait, so you want JAMB to award scores or lower the cut-off points just so people who didn't read hard enough be granted admission?

Is this what the parents are agitating for?
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by tpiadotcom: 10:57am On Jul 24, 2015
baconadoke:
Let d institution bring down their curt-off point 2 180 or 200 dat iz bn approv by JAMB!

Why did jamb lower the cut off point when the universities have limited number of spaces?

I assume the newer (possibly federal) universities might be underserved, but perhaps the cut off points should be lowered for them specifically, rather than across board.

I don't get it sha.
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by IYANGBALI: 10:57am On Jul 24, 2015
Na dis kind news dey sweet eleko1,no admission for you again dis year tongue
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 24, 2015
That post utme na there corruption dey pass.
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by ojnnaco(m): 11:07am On Jul 24, 2015
d educational sector is as confused and short sighted as d political sector of d nation.
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by mcdokwe(m): 11:17am On Jul 24, 2015
Engrish it is hard my brother
blueto:
and what meaningful comment did you conbritue? angry

trying to victimized others while what you are doing is unanimous
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Pope22(m): 11:29am On Jul 24, 2015
They are getting it all wrong. Nigerians won't just understand something very well before they react.

If you want to know all about this new jamb policy, click on this link:
www.nairaland.com/2474211/all-need-know-new-jamb#36220357
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by CoCoLav(f): 11:31am On Jul 24, 2015
How is it that seemingly educated people do not understand what this policy is all about??
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by CuteTj(m): 11:34am On Jul 24, 2015
free2ryhme:
you hardly see any nigeria university adhering to the 180 cut off mark stipulated by the Jamb...most of them place their cut off marks at 200 but if this case of unilag placing theirs at 250 is true,then that is barbaric and outrageous and they must be stopped and sanctioned

Come to think of it, 180 cut off mark is way too low to gain admission in a well sought after school. During our time, 250 was considered as the threshold but I understand that times have changed and standards have dropped now hence the need to reduce it.

Again, I believe You shouldn't expect candidates who got 180 and those who scored 230, 240 and above to be accorded the same opportunities considering the school infrastructures are well overstretched and they have limited spaces up for admission.

As for me, I believe Jamb has no business setting cut-off marks for candidates. That job should only be undertaken by the school, NUC or Ministry of Education.

1 Like

Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by bikkyorwell: 11:36am On Jul 24, 2015
Am tired of this whole story! Am gonna stop by say F**k jamb sad
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by CuteTj(m): 11:36am On Jul 24, 2015
adedayourt:

k

You had to quote the whole news just to comment with "k"

Na una type go talk say make Jamb reduce cut off to 100 if possible.
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Greatzeus(m): 11:37am On Jul 24, 2015
tunex23:
Nigeria jaga jaga everything scatter scatter!! What do u expect In a country that the President doesn't even have a common SSCE, Governors embezzles recklessly without remorse, senate president use magu magu enter sit, no ministers, everything is just plain rubbish. I don't blame JAMB jareey I blame the system
I Blame your dad for wasting his semen

1 Like

Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Seuncoded(f): 11:39am On Jul 24, 2015
Start Earning From My Blog Get Upto #100 For 30 Topics #200 For 50 comment Ngfolds.com
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by haytripple(m): 11:43am On Jul 24, 2015
The comment I see here makes me to conclude that most aspirants don't get the real drift of jamb new implementation..if most of u here go to court as proposed, definitely aspirants won't win d case. The new implementation sates that 5 to 6 universities have so mant aspirant and most won't get admission thereby they want to move some to less occupied ones..I'm nt saying am in support of this cos they ought to have inform candidate b4 hand, unilag didn't set cut off to 250, infact av seen candidate with 202,210,206 etc that has been cleared..only that I don't knw what criteria they use to transferred candidate..pls understand this things b4 u jump into conclusion. Even though there is sense in their new implementation, they shd have notify candidate b4 like when registering for jamb..they shd just start next year. Their shd be number of slot for each skul when registering nt when is result is out n people have already set their mind on certain school#tripplecares#

1 Like

Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by hadizadeezy(f): 11:46am On Jul 24, 2015
tunex23:
Nigeria jaga jaga everything scatter scatter!! What do u expect In a country that the President doesn't even have a common SSCE, Governors embezzles recklessly without remorse, senate president use magu magu enter sit, no ministers, everything is just plain rubbish. I don't blame JAMB jareey I blame the system
I see you tunex
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 24, 2015
free2ryhme:
you hardly see any nigeria university adhering to the 180 cut off mark stipulated by the Jamb...most of them place their cut off marks at 200 but if this case of unilag placing theirs at 250 is true,then that is barbaric and outrageous and they must be stopped and sanctioned

Thats why I like uniport like mad!

If u like let everybody purchase the post UME form, oya now, come write the exam and prove urself. Na ur money go waste.
Over 15000 candidates for post UME just for medicine alone, how far,
Na only 70 candidate will be selected.
50 will come from basic program organize by the university.
The more they apply for the Post UME, the more money for the university.

1 Like

Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 24, 2015
CuteTj:

Come to think of it, 180 cut off mark is way too low to gain admission in a well sought after school. During our time, 250 was considered as the threshold but I understand that times have changed and standards have dropped now hence the need to reduce it.

Again, I believe You shouldn't expect candidates who got 180 and those who scored 230, 240 and above to be accorded the same opportunities considering the school infrastructures are well overstretched and they have limited spaces up for admission.

As for me, I believe Jamb has no business setting cut-off marks for candidates. That job should only be undertaken by the school, NUC or Ministry of Education.

when was that your time?
There has never been a time JAMB set cut off mark at 250.
You guys should stop this during our time...during our time. When was your time?

There was even when it was 160, the mediocrity projected by JAMB's cut off mark was what brought about PUME. Even then schools still tried a lil to adhere to the cut off mark, but had this way they calculate aggregate scores in such a way that if you didn't do well in JAMB _ you have to do exceptionally well in PUME to gain admission.

It has always been schools setting individual cut off marks, not JAMB.

I repeat, when was your time that JAMB cut 250? Which year biko?

BTW, I propose increase in JAMB's cut off.
The only lapse I see here is lack of adequate information. The aspiring undergraduates should have been notified ahead.

3 Likes

Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Damfostopper(m): 12:00pm On Jul 24, 2015
Yawaaa Don Gasssss ooo::::I Hear Say If U Reprint Ur Jamb Slip Na Anoda University Dem Go Post U Oooooooo::::::::::::nawa o
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 24, 2015
simdam500:

Same story all this year undecided
i like ur username #no homo
Re: Cut-off Mark: Candidates, Parents Head For Court by Aprl: 12:11pm On Jul 24, 2015
Na over population dey cause all these wahala and troubles for 9ja especially the Hausa, Yoruba and Ibos, as they claim to be majority instead of wahala in 9ja

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

20 OOU Students Hospitalized Following A Stampede, Ahead Of A Test / Sanwo-Olu Gives 12 New Cars To Lagos Teachers / Share Your Embarrassing Examination Day Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.