Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,525 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market (28970 Views)

Does The Job Market Discriminate? Your Voice Is Needed / Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market / My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by deebsman1(m): 4:46pm On Aug 13, 2015
excellent bro
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by ChappyChase: 4:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:
NB: am currently serving
To me, you only get one Chance! And that's to become a physics lab attendant for secondary school!
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Samirana360(m): 4:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
u can do any work, na 9ja u dey
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by prosperng: 4:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
Travel overseas for masters and PhD

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
Teaching only. Wetin you want do before.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
Dokitadotun:
There is a medically related postgraduate course for physicist, I can't readily remember its name. It's in line with radiotherapy or something. Very few hospitals in Nigeria have them. It has a very good prospect. I strongly encouraged a relative who read physicics to pursue it.
Medical physics. They are in high demand in hospitals with xray facilities. The course isn't so popular in Nigeria but it is in the UK.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Taiwo20(m): 4:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:

Whatever class your result is, It would be advantageous to you to study for you M.sc and maybe a PGDE too and go straight into academics due to the nature of your course.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by kenedy175(m): 4:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
The best you can do now is to try further your education like doing your masters and maybe proceed to PhD. I have a brother that finished from physics and now running his masters in nuclear physics. Not in the country sha!
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by gatiano(m): 4:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
You are the market! Make sure your physics majors in mathematics to the fullest as mathematics has no beginning and no ending. You can easily be on your own.
I do not mean you should go and waste time piling up degrees. Make your mathematics within the physics are super force, Then you are just cool. believe me.
seunwen2:
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by qubie(m): 4:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
K
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by miltonchux(m): 4:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:
You have a very bright future in the Job Market. Don't be in a hurry to start Job hunting, you can go to TTC mobile or any other Telecom training institute and apply for there short course on RF engineering or Microwave engineering. You will have a very bright chances in the Telecom sector.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by delors(m): 4:57pm On Aug 13, 2015
Big chances in the teaching profession. Physics Teacher.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 13, 2015
I envy you jãrè.... U must get a very good job.

Add MSc to it, and you are soaring!

Goodluck!!!
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by wuwu2: 4:59pm On Aug 13, 2015
Dokitadotun:
There is a medically related postgraduate course for physicist, I can't readily remember its name. It's in line with radiotherapy or something. Very few hospitals in Nigeria have them. It has a very good prospect. I strongly encouraged a relative who read physicics to pursue it.
medical physicist....yea. good course. high demand
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by wengerjay(m): 5:00pm On Aug 13, 2015
U studied physics, u can become a Physician.
Lobatan!
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Emilokoiyawon: 5:03pm On Aug 13, 2015
cool Apply for Graduate School in America and they will pay you stipend and pay all your school fees to get a Masters or PhD. After which you can get a teaching or Industrial job in the US. cool
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by obaty(f): 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
Dokitadotun:
medical physics?
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by lumeneng22: 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
As a graduate of university in Nigeria you can work anywhere, oil and gas, bank, telecom, power, agriculture, teaching, pastoring, health sector etc etc.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by wmGabriel(m): 5:09pm On Aug 13, 2015
come and work as my power station operator
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Acecube(m): 5:11pm On Aug 13, 2015
wengerjay:
U studied physics, u can become a Physician.
Lobatan!
Physicist not Physician, Physicians are doctors... don't mention

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by MsNas(f): 5:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
Plentiful. My undergraduate major is Pure and Applied Physics. And I had no trouble getting a job in the Oil and Gas industry in Nigeria before I decided to leave and get a graduate degree in IT. I had no problem getting into graduate schools with my degree as well as I had plenty of the prerequisite plus the fact that Physics is considered the foundation of many physical sciences and engineering

My advise to you is not to limit yourself and feel free to diversify. Looking at my former classmates' LinkedIn, I found out that most of them have no problems fitting into the Communications, IT, Energy, Engineering or even Medical fields. Heck, one of them just got a masters in Petroleum Engineering. The opportunity to spread and adapt is limitless. As I said, don't limit yourself. A physics degree opens you to a whole new world.

You might even decide to get a PhD straight.... If you're intent on becoming a college professor. Plenty of schools here will accept you for a combined Masters/PhD programme in Physics. I know cos I have at least two friends who are doing that. It's fully funded with nice stipends and opportunity to publish nice papers

The key is to research, research and research. Find the right fit and the right career path for yourself and the gates of succes has just been flung open. All the best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by dammytosh: 5:19pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:

You will be a teacher.

If you don't want to the go and learn computer programming.

Invest 2 years and after then you will be Employable.

start now and thank me later !
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by mikeapollo: 5:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
If you can afford it, go for a masters in Electrical & Electronics Engineering or Mechatronics at a very good university, e.g. abroad. I understand De Montfort University(DMU) in UK has a very good Mechatronics course at reasonable fee

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by dallyemmy: 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2015
Power Holding
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by anslemkel(m): 5:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
hopeful as a physicist
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by MsNas(f): 5:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
mikeapollo:
If you can afford it, go for a masters in Electrical & Electronics Engineering or Mechatronics at a very good university, e.g. abroad. I understand De Montfort University(DMU) in UK has a very good Mechatronics course at reasonable fee
He doesn't need to go and spend money paying for tuition in the UK when plenty schools in the U.S will admit him with tuition waiver and monthly stipend to boot! Very good programmes too. It depends on it undergraduate CGPA though
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by swaggprofessor(m): 5:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
privatetisa:
As a Physicist, I teach/lecture, carry out scientific, engineering and m;thematical researches in personal lab and with research institutes; write books (fiction and science textbooks); do computer programming; and I'm short of time to be able to do all that my scientific prowess has given me the capability for.
My brother b4 giving advise u should first of all state if u r a nigerian n then if u r actually living in nigeria. 1. there is no established physics lab in the country.2. the only job u can get as a graduate of physics is to teach secondary schools cos all the universities are only recruiting msc holders.3. in nigeria it is paramount for all graduate of physics to hv atleast an m.sc b4 thinking of a mouth watering job except he or shegets a banking job or is able to secure graduate trainee program in an oil firm. I am speaking out of experience cos I am a graduate of physics with a very good grade I hv surfed the Internet well enough to know that this guy am quoting isn't living in nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by sonnie10: 5:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
noordean:
They can work in hospitals as radiographers

Medical Physicist can not work in the hospital as radiographer. That would be a gross violation and the hospital might be liable if a suit is brought against them. The practice of radiography is established and regulated by law, so they are licensed. Medical Physicists have other roles in the radiology department distinct from direct patient care. Mostly, they supervise the technical operations of the department. For instance, the do calibration of equipment, calculation of treatment doses in radiotherapy, troubleshooting and updating of equipment and software, making sure that the department passes safety inspections and quality assurance and control .

For those who are familiar with procedures and work flow in the radiology department, employing a Medical Physicist to assume the role of a radiographer would sound like a recipe for disaster. There are just too many details in patient care, exam positing and radiographic anatomy which are not part of medical physicist training.

Its high time people knew when not to cross their professional boundaries in Nigeria and put a stop to mediocrity.

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by MsNas(f): 5:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
dammytosh:

You will be a teacher.

If you don't want to the go and learn computer programming.

Invest 2 years and after then you will be Employable.

start now and thank me later !

Like seriously? So computer programming is the only way of making it when you've bagged a Physics degree? How shortsighted.

2 Likes

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by oluwatomisin93(m): 5:27pm On Aug 13, 2015
laoma4u:
Physics is a very strong course. If you made a 2.1 your chances are even juicier. You can apply to oil companies especially servicing companies as either a petrophysicist or a geophysicist. You can also further for your masters in geophysics. A lot of scholarship opportuinities there. With a course like physics, your options are unlimited. Provided ypu made a good grade shaa..

bros chemistry nko
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:

I am a physics graduate with 2:1 i was able to work in two oil servicing companies and right now i am head of Logistics in an American University.

All you need is God and believe in yourself.

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by thamarvelz(m): 5:30pm On Aug 13, 2015
Yungwizzzy:
Go learn mechanic

Hehehehehe
Yungwizzzy:
Go learn mechanic

Hehehehehe
Yungwizzzy:
Go learn mechanic

Hehehehehe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Bottling Company Limited Currently Recruiting - 11 July, 2015 / His current MD was in the panel conducting the interview he went for! / Should I Pay Him N500,000 For A Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.