Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,474 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market (29042 Views)

Does The Job Market Discriminate? Your Voice Is Needed / Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market / My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 13, 2015
This your question is belittling to the Association of Physicists, but lets allow that to slide...lols. Physicist are very intelligent people, who tend to be book/street smart. You can work anywhere_ ranging from oil and gas, education, banking, IT etc.

Physics is the bedrock of so many sciences.

It's all about what you can offer dear. Don't limit yourself, so many entry level jobs don't bother about your course of study _ except if you really wanna venture into your 'field'.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by networkgenuis: 5:33pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:
NB: am currently serving
You will greatly increase your chance of employment by replacing 'am' with 'I'm' or 'I am'.

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by king100(m): 5:33pm On Aug 13, 2015
Jesus, man. Your degree consists of studying the foundations of all scientific and technical knowledge and you're wondering what you can do with that? I believe the correct answer is "Whatever you can imagine."

If you're a good communicator and you manage to strike a balance between theoretical and experimental know-how, then you can basically go do whatever you want, regardless of whether that's finance, engineering, management, entrepreneurship, policy work, plumbing, teaching, design, programming, or anything else that might strike your fancy.---- Michael Woods, Caltech alum, Physicist, Entrepreneur

The advice of I am going to give you is use some of the money you must saved from your NYSC programme, buy a computer or any reading device and stock it with e-books from physics to programming to history to motivational stuffs and start serious and deliberate studies.This singular attitude we keep you sane,while at the same time looking for jobs. It is time to begin rigorous and mind expanding activities like reading, writing, analytical thinking,coding, listening and effective communication which today's world needs. I can tell you that the only thing you have gained in your entire formal education is how to read and write and compute figures without critical thinking. The time of rote learning is over - so called cramming has ended.

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by jessymedugu(f): 5:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
Your chance is as big as YOUR power of imaginations.........for this is the true definition of intelligence.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by bigerboy200: 5:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
oluwatomisin93:

bros chemistry nko
go and work in a road side chemist jare....lol.. Just kidding..plenty opportunity abounds for chemists...oil and gas is a major employer of chemists..Babs Omotowa is d MD of NLNG..he is a graduate of chemistry..I know of a guy working in Total NG who is presently doing his masters in chemistry,dem plenty for chemistry......asides companies like Dangote,Lafarge,NOSDRA,NNPC amongst others employ chemists on regular basis......getting a masters degree will be of help if u can afford it,doing d masters outside d country will b better..look for skuls abroad that waive tuition and offer stipends to PG students..i am sure u'll get one..depends on ur seriousness to get one sha ohh...
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Fynebouy: 5:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
Go to NNRA and start work as a RSA
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
Physics?? Forget it bro. The best you can get is a teaching job with a salary of 30k per month.

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by sirhamilton(m): 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:
oga serve finish first . then you go know the answer to your question
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
Will soon be a physics graduate by God grace still contemplating on doing my msc on medical physics
smiley
getting nice tips from this thread.

Cc: olukenzo

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by readone1(m): 5:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
I am a graduate of physics and i work in a university teaching physics.

if you are truly a graduate of physics, I advice you should think about how to improve your skills in any of the following aspect of physics.

1 Electronics: you must have taken one or several courses in electronics, dust you books, improves yourself , if you need to learn skills from road side electronic repairer please do.
Learn from professionals they will be willing to teach you
circuit design can make you get richer than you think learn and apply your skills , the nation needs home made devices that suit our environment

2. Education: If you have passion for teaching then I advice you take your MSC in physics get a senior academics to groom you, I'm sure you will be happy you did at the end of the day.
Lecturers may not earn so much money but academic will earn you so much respect and prestige I assure you that you won't regret your decision

3 Technology: if you are tech person you can enrol in any of the IT courses Networking, Server or network security, Oracle or Mysql database analysis, web or application programming Java Python c++ c# HTML CSS , etc
you can work for yourself or get the blue chips companies to beg to employ you

4. Energy : you must av taken some courses regarding various kinds of energy wind solar hydro fossils fuels nuclear, you can look at how to develop yourself and generate energy for small businesses for a competitive price
I can only mention a few here

my brother believe in yourself look inward you will find a solution

yours truly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by oluwapsalmy(m): 5:54pm On Aug 13, 2015
You have a lot of chances bro....ma brother graduated as a physics student Funnab, he's a full-staff banker...

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by dammytosh: 5:54pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:

Like seriously? So computer programming is the only way of making it when you've bagged a Physics degree? How shortsighted.

How come all you typed was my short sightedness ?

Why not tell him what he can do ?

Madam Long sightedness.

I should have said he can be a pilot, astronaut, footballer without given him any direction.

I too know will not allow them acquire knowledge.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by lacasera14(m): 5:56pm On Aug 13, 2015
I love threads like this. Following bumper to bumper. btw am a chemistry undergraduate ours is another tough course on it's own
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by lacasera14(m): 5:58pm On Aug 13, 2015
Tydies:
Physics?? Forget it bro. The best you can get is a teaching job with a salary of 30k per month.
Guy maka why?
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by cap28: 6:01pm On Aug 13, 2015
You are the future, I have so much respect for Africans who excel in the sciences, continue to develop yourself in any way you can as Africa needs people like you.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by lacasera14(m): 6:01pm On Aug 13, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
This your question is belittling to the Association of Physicists, but lets allow that to slide...lols. Physicist are very intelligent people, who tend to be book/street smart. You can work anywhere_ ranging from oil and gas, education, banking, IT etc.

Physics is the bedrock of so many sciences.

It's all about what you can offer dear. Don't limit yourself, so many entry level jobs don't bother about your course of study _ except if you really wanna venture into your 'field'.
since he has belittled you guys let him go and start business.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Kagarko(m): 6:05pm On Aug 13, 2015
Its nig where weird things. Your chances are as good as others.
Anyway you are supposed 2 ask that b4 starting the course.
All d best.
Congrats.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by hadura29(m): 6:09pm On Aug 13, 2015
swaggprofessor:
My brother b4 giving advise u should first of all state if u r a nigerian n then if u r actually living in nigeria. 1. there is no established physics lab in the country.2. the only job u can get as a graduate of physics is to teach secondary schools cos all the universities are only recruiting msc holders.3. in nigeria it is paramount for all graduate of physics to hv atleast an m.sc b4 thinking of a mouth watering job except he or shegets a banking job or is able to secure graduate trainee program in an oil firm. I am speaking out of experience cos I am a graduate of physics with a very good grade I hv surfed the Internet well enough to know that this guy am quoting isn't living in nigeria

thanks for the enlightenment, I studied physics electronics, did some engineering courses, laboratory course and so geoligical course. Infact I'm an associate member of istitute of lab tech.. 2.2

Went to my dad's friend for hook ups, The only thing they advised me also is to go and teach.. I just laughed silently.. Nigeria don't appreciate physics graduate at all...
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by MsNas(f): 6:10pm On Aug 13, 2015
dammytosh:

How come all you typed was my short sightedness ?

Why not tell him what he can do ?

Madam Long sightedness.

I should have said he can be a pilot, astronaut, footballer without given him any direction.

I too know will not allow them acquire knowledge.
Lol. Why are you getting mad? I peeped your profile before replying you. Seeing your topic made me understand the response you gave him. There is no need to engage you further

Have a great morning.

2 Likes

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by sonnie10: 6:12pm On Aug 13, 2015
Tydies:

With medical physics degree he would be such of job offers while still in school and a salary of not less than $150k a year if he is employed by certain industries.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 13, 2015
mzteemarh:
Will soon be a physics graduate by God grace still contemplating on doing my msc on medical physics
smiley
getting nice tips from this thread.

Cc: olukenzo

Yes, lovely thread. Need I say more? Listen to the lomaguy and msnas.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by simiolu1(m): 6:14pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:
Plentiful. My undergraduate major is Pure and Applied Physics. And I had no trouble getting a job in the Oil and Gas industry in Nigeria before I decided to leave and get a graduate degree in IT. I had no problem getting into graduate schools with my degree as well as I had plenty of the prerequisite plus the fact that Physics is considered the foundation of many physical sciences and engineering

My advise to you is not to limit yourself and feel free to diversify. Looking at my former classmates' LinkedIn, I found out that most of them have no problems fitting into the Communications, IT, Energy, Engineering or even Medical fields. Heck, one of them just got a masters in Petroleum Engineering. The opportunity to spread and adapt is limitless. As I said, don't limit yourself. A physics degree opens you to a whole new world.

You might even decide to get a PhD straight.... If you're intent on becoming a college professor. Plenty of schools here will accept you for a combined Masters/PhD programme in Physics. I know cos I have at least two friends who are doing that.

The key is to research, research and research. Find the right fit and the right career path for yourself and the gates of succes has just been flung open. All the best.
Long time! Greatest Ladokite, you just forget ur people for Physics graduate thread for Nairaland. No be so o...
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by Ajibel(m): 6:15pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:

With Physics, you can dive into Game programming. I was doing it before I unceremoniously left school.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by MsNas(f): 6:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
simiolu1:

Long time! Greatest Ladokite, you just forget ur people for Physics graduate thread for Nairaland. No be so o...
Lol. How did you know I attended Lautech? cheesy
And two, I didn't know there was a Physics graduate thread on here. Can you point me in its direction?
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by simiolu1(m): 6:23pm On Aug 13, 2015
swaggprofessor:
My brother b4 giving advise u should first of all state if u r a nigerian n then if u r actually living in nigeria. 1. there is no established physics lab in the country.2. the only job u can get as a graduate of physics is to teach secondary schools cos all the universities are only recruiting msc holders.3. in nigeria it is paramount for all graduate of physics to hv atleast an m.sc b4 thinking of a mouth watering job except he or shegets a banking job or is able to secure graduate trainee program in an oil firm. I am speaking out of experience cos I am a graduate of physics with a very good grade I hv surfed the Internet well enough to know that this guy am quoting isn't living in nigeria
Bro, don't say what you don't know. I've seen Physics graduates in Nigeria doing well without MSc certificates. Don't make assumptions about all Physics graduates just because of your condition. My IT supervisor in Huawei graduated from Unilag with a Physics/Electronics degree and has over 6years experience in the Telco sector without an MSc degree. In fact, many Microwave engineers I know, have Physics background.
Also in Nigeria, there are lots of Physics graduates in the O&G, IT and financial services sector.
With Physics, the sky is the starting point!
And who told you there are no research labs in Nigeria that employs Physics graduates?
While doing my FYP project, I had problems analysing my ZnO thin films because Research labs were on strike. Almost went as far as Abj for XRD analysis.
Don't say what you don't know!
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by anigbajumo(m): 6:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
seunwen2:

pure physics

Good,am presently study pure nd applied physics in university of science and technology (B tech) bt m'yet to specify d field of study (probably next session)....

According to yer research,pls can u tell me d best aspect of physics dat is highly demand in labour market.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by simiolu1(m): 6:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:

Lol. How did you know I attended Lautech? cheesy
And two, I didn't know there was a Physics graduate thread on here. Can you point me in its direction?
Kindly go to the career section and see. We once talked on a thread before the Tsunami that swept through NL. You and Adedokun were classmates! *tongue out* Please help me with your e-mail address... Want to discuss somethings
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by hadura29(m): 6:28pm On Aug 13, 2015
readone1:
I am a graduate of physics and i work in a university teaching physics.

if you are truly a graduate of physics, I advice you should think about how to improve your skills in any of the following aspect of physics.

1 Electronics: you must have taken one or several courses in electronics, dust you books, improves yourself , if you need to learn skills from road side electronic repairer please do.
Learn from professionals they will be willing to teach you
circuit design can make you get richer than you think learn and apply your skills , the nation needs home made devices that suit our environment

2. Education: If you have passion for teaching then I advice you take your MSC in physics get a senior academics to groom you, I'm sure you will be happy you did at the end of the day.
Lecturers may not earn so much money but academic will earn you so much respect and prestige I assure you that you won't regret your decision

3 Technology: if you are tech person you can enrol in any of the IT courses Networking, Server or network security, Oracle or Mysql database analysis, web or application programming Java Python c++ c# HTML CSS , etc
you can work for yourself or get the blue chips companies to beg to employ you

4. Energy : you must av taken some courses regarding various kinds of energy wind solar hydro fossils fuels nuclear, you can look at how to develop yourself and generate energy for small businesses for a competitive price
I can only mention a few here

my brother believe in yourself look inward you will find a solution

yours truly

1 & 3 suits me. When I did my IT, I worked as an apprentice to an electrical engineer, I blended in fast. After I graduated I still worked for him. Though I am not a professional in that but I can do a perfect conduit wiring/installations, db mounting.. Etc...

I am planning going the no 3 way so that I can do both 1 und 3 at the same time. How? Learning Autocad for interpretation of drawings. Ccna for networking.. Etc

God help me though,..
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by dammytosh: 6:39pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:

Lol. Why are you getting mad? I peeped your profile before replying you. Seeing your topic made me understand the response you gave him. There is no need to engage you further

Have a great morning.

U have still not contributed anything meaningful or helpful to the poster.

My advice to him was based on the premise that smart physicist excel in programming and good programmers are making it big in this side of town.

2 u that is short sightedness yet u can not mention 1 thing the poster can do.

Have you read the poster's latest comment o. What he will rather do ?

So if you can not point direction on forums like this, just keep quiet if you have nothing to say.
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by noordean(m): 6:41pm On Aug 13, 2015
sonnie10:

Medical Physicist can not work in the hospital as radiographer. That would be a gross violation and the hospital might be liable if a suit is brought against them. The practice of radiography is established and regulated by law, so they are licensed. Medical Physicists have other roles in the radiology department distinct from direct patient care. Mostly, they supervise the technical operations of the department. For instance, the do calibration of equipment, calculation of treatment doses in radiotherapy, troubleshooting and updating of equipment and software, making sure that the department passes safety inspections and quality assurance and control .

For those who are familiar with procedures and work flow in the radiology department, employing a Medical Physicist to assume the role of a radiographer would sound like a recipe for disaster. There are just too many details in patient care, exam positing and radiographic anatomy which are not part of medical physicist training.

Its high time people knew when not to cross their professional boundaries in Nigeria and put a stop to mediocrity.
Thanks for that clarification.

1 Like

Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by MsNas(f): 6:41pm On Aug 13, 2015
dammytosh:

U have still not contributed anything meaningful or helpful to the poster.

My advice to him was based on the premise that smart physicist excel in programming and good programmers are making it big in this side of town.

2 u that is short sightedness yet u can not mention 1 thing the poster can do
Oga, stop it. I suggest you go through my posts and see if u have contributed to him or not. I don't wanna keep going back and forth with you, okay? Bye
Re: What's My Chance As A Physics Graduate In The Job Market by MsNas(f): 6:42pm On Aug 13, 2015
simiolu1:

Kindly go to the career section and see. We once talked on a thread before the Tsunami that swept through NL. You and Adedokun were classmates! *tongue out* Please help me with your e-mail address... Want to discuss somethings
Send me a PM and I will respond

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2020 Police Recruitment: IGP Suspends Entry Requirements For Candidates / Five Things I Would Learn To Do If I Was Jobless / Reno Omokri Compares Kano And Anambra Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.