Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,555 members, 7,837,130 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job (19161 Views)

A Call For Help - Dismissed EFCC Diploma Trainees / Help !! What Is Wrong With My Cv! Why Is The Job Not Coming! / Should I Include Every Job I Hold On My CV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by HapiNna: 5:23pm On Jul 29, 2015
arabianights:

Course of study: electronic engineering
It was my first job.
Stayed with them for 1yr 6mths. Although I yr was as a graduate Trainee.
Sector: manufacturing

First of all,please accept my apology on this unfortunate incidence.Note that its a daily occurence in organizations
I can just imagine the psychological torture you are going through but dont take it too hard> I know quite a number that moved on to better jobs after having their appointments terminated.

you need to give us background information

----What did you study?
----Was that your first job?
---How long did you work for them?
----What offence did u commit to have your appointment terminated ?
----Do u have savings?
-----Do u have dependants?
-----What sector did u work in?
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by MrCork: 5:23pm On Jul 29, 2015
imagodei:
Dear Nairalanders,

I will like seek your counsel on something.

I was recently dismissed from my company.

Some friends have advised that I delete everything about this company from my cv. If I follow their counsel, my cv will almost look bare.

Please advise me on what to do.

Best Regards.

Mods, please help me do the needful.

STEP 1: DO not put yor curent job on yor CV

STEP: 2: Look for any friend/uncle who owns a company

STEP 3: Ask for the MAnager/Director

STEP 4: Tell them what the issue is & ask if u can use them for reference

STEP 5: The Manager/Director will under stand and ones he agrees, offer to pay them a little something & say u don't have muc

STEP 6: Truss me, They will offer to giv u a reference for free coz it can happento any body (we all human

STEP 7: Once they agree..write out your previous JOB describtion and make sure u shoew the manager/Director for appro val.....
BUT, ONE THING U DO NOT WANT TO DO IS MAKE UP LIS WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE (419)...U DO THAT AND TRUSS ME
U WILL REGRET IT

STEP 8: Again, offer to pay the Manager/director and he/swill say NO THANKS

STEP 9: MOST IMPORTANT..IF ANY COMPANY AGREES TO GIV U REFERENCE, MAKE SURE U KEEP IT CONFIDENTIAL...ONE MISTAKE U DONT
WANNA MKE IS TELL YOR FRIEND/COUSIN/BROTHER/SISTER OR ANYONE....TRUSS ME...THEY WILL HOLD U TO RAMSON & USE IT
AGAIST U IN FUTURE....ONLY PERSON U MAY TELL, YOR PARENTS.

STEP 10.... WHEN NEXT U GO FOR AN INTERVIEW, NOTIFY THE MANAGER/DIRECTOR OF THE COMPANY WHO HELPED U JUSS IN CASE
THEY CONTACT HIM FOR REFRENCE

Brov....this iz a gr8 advise and truss me I no......I no becuz I waz in same position... I got a new Job... Only difference now is I hav my 0wn company in London: I own 2 companys!!! (TRUE STORY)
wink

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by HapiNna: 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2015
arabianights:

First of all,please accept my apology on this unfortunate incidence.Note that its a daily occurence in organizations
I can jusYesagine the psychological torture you are going through but dont take it too hard> I know quite a number that moved on to better jobs after having their appointments terminated.

----What did you study?
----Do u have savings?
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by HapiNna: 5:31pm On Jul 29, 2015
TopHand:
All those advising NLander not to delete this misfortune from his CV do you what was his offence? until he tells us we must assume it was bad and of course any new employer is going to contact his old employer especially if he spent up to or more than 5 yrs there if contact cant be establish his application is going nowhere, so best option is for him to find a relative/family friend who owns a company business and get that time period covered.
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by HapiNna: 5:32pm On Jul 29, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Why were you dismissed? This forms the basis for your decision. ..
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by HapiNna: 5:34pm On Jul 29, 2015
bigerboy200:
Why were u dismissed
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by HapiNna: 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Why were you dismissed, Uncle? ?

I see no reason why I/you should delete experience that I/you hustled and suffered to attain in this era that fresh graduates are asked for '5yrs experience'.

Did you commit fraud? lipsrsealed
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by bodeoni: 5:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
This is a serious one. Let me try to predict the outcomes here

Leaving the Work Experince on your CV
1. Your prospective employer might do a background check which often includes contacting your previous employer.
2. Your prospective employer might be a result-oriented person and not bother to inquire as to why you left as long as you can demonstrate your ability to deliver

Removing The Work Experience from your CV
1. Depending on how long you worked there and how old you are, you might have serious issues getting another job
2. Rather than write a conventional CV, you could make your CV super functional, stating your achievements without explicitly stating the name of the company from which you were fired. This could work in your favour...or not, its all in how you package yourself
3. If you have less than 2 years with the company, you could remove it from your CV and start fresh.

If you have a wealth of experience, one option is to STOP job hunting and start selling solutions. I am sure you must have built a network; reach out to the folks in your network and start solving their problems.

Things you should not do
1. Do NOT lie
2. Do NOT lie

Cheers

1 Like

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 29, 2015
Sorry for not replying on time.
I was fired because of the job done by one of my associates and it resulted to the death (electric shock) of another staff.

In my query, I was said to have poorly supervised a job and working without work permits. Then in the dismissal letter, it was stated I was culpable for serious misconduct.

freemon50:
Why
Why
Why

Jide Imagodei why were you fired??

Lots of Why without a reply from you OP
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by styles2009: 5:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
80% here are asking you to just modify your cv,
Our country has gone to the dogs.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by MRBrownJ: 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
imagodei:

I was fired because of the job done by one of my associates and it resulted to the death (electric shock) of another staff.
In my query, I was said to have poorly supervised a job and working without work permits. Then in the dismissal letter, it was stated I was culpable for serious misconduct.

this one is a tough one but you should NOT remove it from your CV.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by arabianights: 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
refreshrate:

See wahala o.

Dismissal is dismissal leave story or have you heard of good dismissal before?

Boss, even in my former place of work ,i have colleagues that were wrongfully dismissed this led to a series of law suits whilst some were offered their jobs back .My asking him for the reason is to advise him further or do u believe one should just go ahead and give him advise as to beefing up his cv without having an idea as to his background or what necessitated the dismissal?

Have u bothered to even read his response on that? Now tell me if such an unfortunate occurence doesnt need a strategic response

This is a public forum,we learn or educate others

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by kanmi4u: 6:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
Press crtl+delete for d previous CV then create another one
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by refreshrate: 6:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
arabianights:

Boss, even in my former place of work ,i have colleagues that were wrongfully dismissed this led to a series of law suits whilst some were offered their jobs back .My asking him for the reason is to advise him further or do u believe one should just go ahead and give him advise as to beefing up his cv without having an idea as to his background or what necessitated the dismissal?

Have u bothered to even read his response on that? Now tell me if such an unfortunate occurence doesnt need a strategic response

This is a public forum,we learn or educate others

You're watching two or maybe even 3 movies at once.

If he has a court issue or whatever further assumptions you've decided to include to the issue on your own, does this concern the new employer?

OP is not fighting for his job back as painted in your scenario he's looking to move on with his life.

Try and stick to the script please.

So his new employer writes the former and you expect them to do what? begin to explain that he was dismissed wrongly and in fact they are in court but please give him the job till we are found guilty then we will remploy him?
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by refreshrate: 6:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
MRBrownJ:

this one is a tough one but you should NOT remove it from your CV.

Is that right? So you'll employ someone on grounds on such in his former place of employ abi? you know he's the only one submitting cv for the position
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by arabianights: 6:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
refreshrate:

You're watching two or maybe even 3 movies at once.

If he has a court issue or whatever further assumptions you've decided to include to the issue on your own, does this concern the new employer?

OP is not fighting for his job back as painted in your scenario he's looking to move on with his life.

Try and stick to the script please.

So his new employer writes the former and you expect them to do what? begin to explain that he was dismissed wrongly and in fact they are in court but please give him the job till we are found guilty then we will remploy him?

GOSH WHY ARE PEOPLE...........................

CAN YOU PLEASE SAVE YOUR ENERGY AND ASSIST THIS YOUNG MAN WITH A GOOD RESPONSE!!!!
AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR ATTENTION,HE IS!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by arabianights: 6:14pm On Jul 29, 2015
refreshrate:

Is that right? So you'll employ someone on grounds on such in his former place of employ abi? you know he's the only one submitting cv for the position

YOU JUST WOKE UP FROM WHAT EVER SLUMBER YOU WERE IN AND DECIDED TO BE RUDE AND INSULTIVE.SO WHAT HAS THIS MAN DONE TO YOU NOW?

NO ONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FRUSTRATION,FACE IT AND FIX IT
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by MRBrownJ: 6:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
refreshrate:

if it was an accident then why remove it from his CV?
if it was error of judgment from his part, then also, why remove it? everybody CAN make a mistake, and so long as they learn from it, its all good. if the person is remorseful, eager to show that they can move on and improve from that accident, then so be it.

it is the negative character/traits in a prospective new employee that i would certainly run from.
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by refreshrate: 6:31pm On Jul 29, 2015
arabianights:

YOU JUST WOKE UP FROM WHAT EVER SLUMBER YOU WERE IN AND DECIDED TO BE RUDE AND INSULTIVE.SO WHAT HAS THIS MAN DONE TO YOU NOW?

NO ONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FRUSTRATION,FACE IT AND FIX IT

Thanks for your observation on my status

However stick to what the OP asked if not stop hating on the one punching holes in your lame theories. Its not by force to try and sound like you know what youre saying oga

1 Like

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by refreshrate: 6:35pm On Jul 29, 2015
arabianights:

GOSH WHY ARE PEOPLE...........................

CAN YOU PLEASE SAVE YOUR ENERGY AND ASSIST THIS YOUNG MAN WITH A GOOD RESPONSE!!!!
AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR ATTENTION,HE IS!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Done so already

Now preventing him (with instances) from making a mistake reading and being led astray by wrong assumptions like the one you posted earlier, hoping youll learn a couple o' things too.
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 29, 2015
imagodei:

Quite unfortunate.. Competency is a serious issue in some companies esp multinationals, HSE too...

I will say you do not remove the experience from your CV especially if you had many years with them..

During your next job interview;
Say the truth when asked why you left your previous work, tell them how painful and regretful the experience is, emphasise on how you ve improved or learnt from the experience. .
If possible, do a kinda training that's geared towards preventing the kind of mistake you made, this will be a solid back up...

People get fired but they still get jobs..
Your company did what they should have done because no company will leave an employee who caused a death in their company but it may not mean you're entirely bad or incompetent. ...

Generally, package yourself well and be confident... All the best smiley

Rip to your dead colleague sad

Meanyl, learn to wait for work permit before embarking on a job next time, don't cut corners no matter how urgent the job is to avoid accidents like this. And ur boss will deny you if anything happens. ..

5 Likes

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by refreshrate: 6:38pm On Jul 29, 2015
MRBrownJ:

if it was error of judgment from his part, then also, why remove it? everybody CAN make a mistake, and so long as they learn from it, its all good. if the person is remorseful, eager to show that they can move on and improve from that accident, then so be it.

it is the negative character/traits in a prospective new employee that i would certainly run from.

His previous company that had better understanding of the situation dismissed him, so you expect the new company to now be magnanimous on the issue from a distance with the assumption the former company was wrong in their decision?

ok o
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by GOVERNMEMT1(m): 6:42pm On Jul 29, 2015
Brother if ur a wrong man remove it but ur hands are clean no dient on it leave the company name on ur CV is plus to ur creditials. Wish u best of luck
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by refreshrate: 6:46pm On Jul 29, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Quite unfortunate.. Competency is a serious business in some companies esp multinationals, HSE too...

I will say you do not remove the experience from your CV especially if you had many years with them..

During your next job interview;
Say the truth when asked why you left your previous work, tell them how painful and regretful the experience is, emphasise on how you ve improved or learnt from the experience. .
If possible, do a kinda training that's geared towards preventing the kind of mistake you made, this will be a solid back up...

People get fired but they still get jobs..
Your company did what they should have done because no company will leave an employee who caused a death in their company but it may not mean you're entirely bad or incompetent. ...

Generally, package yourself well and be confident... All the best smiley

Rip to your dead colleague sad

Meanyl, learn to wait for work permit before embarking on a job next time, don't cut corners no matter how urgent the job is to avoid accidents like this. And ur boss will deny you if anything happens. ..

Babe no vex o
Abeg one question, if you were to get a maid and got to find out from the previous employer that the maid caused them their baby's life, you would still hire the maid because she packaged herself well and is confident along with all the reasons you stated?

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by refreshrate: 6:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
MRBrownJ:

Causing the loss of an employee is a negative trait last i checked, or what could possibly be heavier than that on the scale of negatives sir?
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by MRBrownJ: 7:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
refreshrate:
His previous company that had better understanding of the situation dismissed him, so you expect the new company to now be magnanimous on the issue from a distance with the assumption the former company was wrong in their decision?

ok o

ps dont misunderstand what i wrote: there is nothing wrong with making a mistake, everybody does at one point in their lives, its the nature of that mistake that matters. when you lie/cheat/steal and get caught, then the problem is not the fact that you got caught, the problem is your CHARACTER, and these issues will happen again and again. but if this was an unfortunate accident, then this might never happen again (unless the employee is very unlucky)

btw, if you will never employ someone that got fired then here is food for thought:
- Steve Jobs was once fired from Apple and only came back to the company 10yrs later, wouldnt you have employed this genius?!
- Walt Disney was fired from his earlier job because he "supposedly" lacked imagination.
- Oprah Winfrey was once fired from her job as a television reporter because she was supposedly "unfit for TV"
- Soichiro Honda was actually turned down from a job as an engineer at Toyota before he created his own company HONDA.
- Harland David Sanders (founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken) was going around every restaurants trying to sell his famous chicken recipe and was turned down 1009 times before one restaurant accepted it.

so just because someone may be unfit to one company, doesnt automatically mean he will be unfit for yours.

refreshrate:

Causing the loss of an employee is a negative trait last i checked, or what could possibly be heavier than that on the scale of negatives sir?

if it was an accident then NO it is not due to that persons character... now if he was drunk on the job then thats a different matter entirely!

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 29, 2015
-What did you study? Electronic Engineering
----Was that your first job?Yes
---How long did you work for them? 1yr 6mths (1 yr as graduate Trainee)
----What offence did u commit to have your appointment terminated ? I have posted it
----Do u have savings? Yes
-----Do u have dependants? Yes
-----What sector did u work in? Manufacturing

arabianights:

I can just imagine the psychological torture you are going through but dont take it too hard> I know quite a number that moved on to better jobs after having their appointments terminated.

----What did you study?
----Do u have savings?
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by refreshrate: 7:21pm On Jul 29, 2015
MRBrownJ:

ps dont misunderstand what i wrote: there is nothing wrong with making a mistake, everybody does at one point in their lives, its the nature of that mistake that matters. when you lie/cheat/steal and get caught, then the problem is not the fact that you got caught, the problem is your CHARACTER, and these issues will happen again and again. but if this was an unfortunate accident, then this might never happen again (unless the employee is very unlucky)

btw, if you will never employ someone that got fired then here is food for thought:
- Steve Jobs was once fired from Apple and only came back to the company 10yrs later, wouldnt you have employed this genius?!
- Walt Disney was fired from his earlier job because he "supposedly" lacked imagination.
- Oprah Winfrey was once fired from her job as a television reporter because she was supposedly "unfit for TV"
- Soichiro Honda was actually turned down from a job as an engineer at Toyota before he created his own company HONDA.
- Harland David Sanders (founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken) was going around every restaurants trying to sell his famous chicken recipe and was turned down 1009 times before one restaurant accepted it.

so just because someone may be unfit to one company, doesnt automatically mean he will be unfit for yours.

All these people you mentioned i cant find a Nigerian in the list thats one

No one in the list got dismissed for anything remotely as serious as what OP is talking about.

These are not even issues enough to be called 'issues'.

No stealing or fraud example or loss of life?

Sorry o but the examples stated are for motivational books not this scenario

By the way Everybody Lies, but then everyone is innocent until proven otherwise. Why would you want to hang youself?

Two cvs in front of you, one with the OPs story another without any such story in fact the other guy is changing jobs because he wants a more challenging role

sincerely, who would you choose?
Re: How Can I Package My Cv After Been Dismissed From A Job by plendil: 7:33pm On Jul 29, 2015
imagodei:

-What did you study? Electronic Engineering
----Was that your first job?Yes
---How long did you work for them? 1yr 6mths (1 yr as graduate Trainee)
----What offence did u commit to have your appointment terminated ? I have posted it
----Do u have savings? Yes
-----Do u have dependants? Yes
-----What sector did u work in? Manufacturing

Wow! I must confess this is a very difficult case. This is your first employment so it will make no sense to remove the experience. On the other hand, keeping the experience my raise difficult questions in a ny proepective interview. Though call. . . sad

All th same, I think I will go with the advice given by @MarvellousGod. Keep in your CV but emphasize on how you've learnt from the mistake. .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Domestic Helper Who Cleans & Runs Errands. Sango Ota. 50k/month / N-power: Update On Device Selection / Help Advice Me; Can It Be Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.