|Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,992,116 members, 7,288,188 topics. Date: Friday, 03 February 2023 at 02:02 AM
10 Things A Graduate Should Do While Waiting For A Good Job Offer / How Lil Kesh's Song, "Efejoku" Made Me Lose A Job Offer / 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? (2) (3) (4)
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by pato405(m): 11:19am On Jul 30, 2015|
I was exactly in your shoes about a yr ago, and guess what I did? Ofcourse I came back to naija and took the job. However, I delayed completing the acceptance letter for about 3 months to enable me complete my research work, earn my degree and also explore other alternatives of getting a job in the UK. truth be told, it's NOT easy embarking on that final decision to be back home, particularly when you think of the social amenities you enjoy in first world but comparatively lacking in Naija.
People who encourage you to stay behind and get a job in the US or get your papers always think it's that easy. You could be languishing in abject penury while in UK or US without a job, as a matter of fact, when you observe the high rate of job losses and shrinking economy in developed world, you'll be scared if you can ever get a job as soon as you need it. It could take you so many years of job search before you eventually find one , and even after you find one, high tax rates almost ruin your savings. Not every worker abroad saves more money than home-based workers. In my case, I wasn't even offered that much - NOT up to 250k at all, but I'm coping and I'm sure it'll definitely get better as there numerous opportunities to grow and advance in career. In addition, it's a federal job and the job security side of it was the major encouragement to accept the offer.
In conclusion, if you can finish you PhD first, please do so. Don't throw in the towel 6 months to your completing your studies simply because of a 250k job offer. Remember your pg research degree can always fetch you more offer. If you have completed it, then I will advice you to take up the offer and also explore avenues for better offer either in Naija or US/Uk. Keep your visa open to enable you move at any time.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Anonymous1900: 11:44am On Jul 30, 2015|
Thanks maybe i was not clear enough in my original post and its my fault. The monthly offer after tax is not 250 (that was just a bench mark) but thanks for your input
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by olumyde5(m): 11:45am On Jul 30, 2015|
@OP it seems you've already made your decision, let me just add that it would be better to round up research program since it ends in 6month. It will boost your chances for the future.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by yori: 12:07pm On Jul 30, 2015|
All i can say is...Nigeria is highly unstable at the moment...economically and 'securitically' (hahahhaha)....please hustle it out in the US and get ur residency. At least that is one back up plan....if that company in question cannot wait for you, their loss. There are more companies out there that needs you, have you considered Norway, or Canada or Australia...just google how much ur pay will be and you will see what I am talking about. Please if u want a stable family and love life, forget naija for now, carry ur fiancé go USA and make una hustle am out. Gawd....i wish i was a guy!!
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 12:10pm On Jul 30, 2015|
This is a poor write-up by someone who is seeking advice.
How can you get good advice if you are not providing good information?
You are doing research in what environment? ...........As a PhD student? As a Post-doctoral researcher? Or for a company/foundation/government?
Depending on what it is, the answer would take a direction.
Let me double that and make it 500K since you are not specific or giving a ballpark. That is like $2K or £1K+ considering the recent devaluation of the naira due to the Cretin of Otuoke's mismanagement of the economy.
That does not seem a lot for someone that has an MEng from the States. Or is it not the same United Kingdom of Yankee where an MEng is a postgrad and an avenue to $90K+ jobs?
What is you prior work experience? How many years of experience do you have?
What benefits come with the job? A N2m a year apartment in Lekki Phase 8.9? Plus a Range Rover with driver and a cook? 2% bonus potential or 100%? Kids education in British international school .............................sorted?
How much does the benefits supplement the salary? Without details, how can we judge the value?
So much dearth of valuable information you should have provided, it is shocking.
You want advice on incomplete information?
This is like me asking you if a man in Papau New Guinea should buy a generator or a car? He is 45 years old with four kids? What would your advice be?
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 30, 2015|
jaybee3:my point is .....getting a juicy job is not a child's play anywhere.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by rebranded(m): 12:25pm On Jul 30, 2015|
My observation Op
It doesnt seem like you like the states and worried about job opportunities/securities if you decide to stay there
Heres what i think. N250k is small money especially in lagos, and for someone that has spent couple of years abroad, it will probably not be in enough for you to get the basic things you are used to.
Also getting your residency is very key to moving to Nigeria, just incase things are not like you plan (God forbid, but the company with the off folds up or lay people off in the near future). what do you do?
Since they will not wait any longer i see your dilemma..I would suggest you stay in the US at least till you get your residency (if its certain) then try and get some experience before moving to Nigeria, by then you will be getting offers over N500k and have the security of returning whenever you want
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by yori: 12:28pm On Jul 30, 2015|
jeez mahn....what else do you want the poor guy to say before you can actually give him an advise...he's whole life history?? Be nice and advise him...not condemning his write up....
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 12:38pm On Jul 30, 2015|
You can't give him good advice based on the information he has given.
What do you know about his value?
What do you know about his opportunity cost?
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ttmacoy: 12:40pm On Jul 30, 2015|
I would expect he earns minimum $70k with prospects for a lot mor based on his qualifications. Depending on where he is living i.e. aside the likes of NY or LA, that I worth a lot and can afford him a good start with good disposable income.
On the like for like basis i.e. professional al job to professional job you cannot even compare salaries.
Another point with Nigeria is the man know man issue. I have a friend who got a job at Glo thorough his uncle. He hates the job as he is not learning much and not progressing much, and worse he was transferred to Ghana, but because he cannot ge another job he is now stuck in Ghana in a role he hates.
In the US you get jobs mostly based on your skills and experience and are not tied to any employer. You have freedom.
Also the fact he has 6 months left on a 4 year PhD program and nearly getting his residency I don't think N250k is worth dumping his PhD with 6 months to go and his residency.
I know someone else who earns good pay, not the level of millions a month by good pay yet the stress. She leaves home 5am just to avoid traffic and after work stays at her mother in law till 11pm. What kind of life is that?
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by jaybee3(m): 12:41pm On Jul 30, 2015|
That's no reason to undervalue oneself
He has experience with relevant qualifications so no point making himself desperate
We are talking about engineering not some social science course
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ttmacoy: 1:01pm On Jul 30, 2015|
Even If he plans to settle in Nigeria, the right time still is not now as it makes no sense abandoning his program with 6 months to go and also he may as well get his residency as back up.
You need options in life
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ttmacoy: 1:04pm On Jul 30, 2015|
Many do. And the fact he can get his green card means he had more chances to.
There are lots of Jobs in the UK and the US, the main issue is many thanks the employers ar not willing to sponsor to work permit, but if you already have papers there are jobs.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by yori: 1:06pm On Jul 30, 2015|
uh? wassup with this guy ...na only you go school..?
You sound like dem kind of pple when they ask 1+1....rather than saying the logical answer, you go on and on to write up an equation.
Why do you really want to know his value or opportunity cost before u can render an advice?? Dem other pple here are giving a round up summary of their own advice based on Anonymous 1900's present circumstances....can't you just deduce from that? He also quoted at the beginning of this forum to say...
'I would also try to be as open and forthcoming as possible regarding all information to help you offer any opinions either from personal experience of inferred ideas'....IS THAT NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU??
Oya Mr, Anonnymous 1900...please whats your opportunity cost and your value? This is needed before PROFESSOR SAGAMITE can render his advice..lolllll
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Forward1(m): 1:18pm On Jul 30, 2015|
i understand ur point of view but i provided an alternative in my advice... And for him to have given the offer in Nig a thought means he can do away with the programme.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ttmacoy: 1:21pm On Jul 30, 2015|
Well you are right he has entertained the thought.
I think he has been given different advice here so it's up to the poster to decide which suits him better.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ifewise(m): 1:27pm On Jul 30, 2015|
PLS DON'T COME BACK TO NIGERIA
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 1:34pm On Jul 30, 2015|
He is essentially asking for you to advice him if it would be beneficial for him to move to Nigeria at the price offered.
If you do not know what his value is AND what else he could get with his qualificational, experiential and intellectual assets, then your advice is as meaningless as telling a pregnant stranger that pregnancy is the best thing that could happen to her.
Professor Sagamite of the Sagamu Institute of Technology.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Anonymous1900: 1:36pm On Jul 30, 2015|
Thanks to everyone so far for your candid opinion. cant express how grateful i am that so many people will take the time from their busy schedule to offer advise to a stranger.
To shed a bit more light on the matter, i will try and answer most of the issues raised that her skewing decisions to either come back or stay back.
1. I do not have to be in the USA physically to obtain my residency papers when the time comes.
2. I have had a little experience with offers to people in nigeria from abroad or within: I was offered a position in 1 of the audit companies in Nigeria few years back after just after obtaining my MSc from the UK and the pay was about 150k before Tax. I was also offered a position with an oil servicing firm in Nigeria and the pay was 103k exactly before Tax (I was shocked).
3.Irrespective of any additional benefits to the package, I will not be paying for rent,electricity or any other bills related to such for at least a year or till i decide to get my own place. i will also be staying on the island
4. i do have a car so i wont need to buy a car irrespective of if a vehicle is provided for me or not
5. I do not consider the basic pay or the added benefits a major deciding factor though it does play a role i must admit cos as many of you have right fully pointed out, i CAN obviously get better pay (operative word being CAN which guarantees nothing).
6. There is no doubt that there are multiple opportunities in the USA but i assure you its not as automatic/direct as some of you have painted it to be and comparing the pay abroad to the pay in Nigeria is a little skewed ( companies will most often offer renumeration based on the market forces in their operating country unless they operate as an international entity and structure their pay as such. while that occasionally happens and we all know a few people that fall into that lucky bracket in Nigeria, it is not the norm.)
7. I also have 6months left from a 24 month program as i dint start from scratch (and not 6 months left from a 4 year program) though that does not really change anything.
8. if the offer was for 1 million/ month and i had a year left, i would still try to do everything i can to find a way to finish or run a distant learning program or something along those lines. (needless to say my first instinct is never to jump ship or abandon what i started)
9. I am also not particularly excited about parking my life into a box and moving thousands of miles
10. A particular selling point about the position (In Nigeria) for me is the fact that its a specialist engineering position and not me cross carpeting (ie an engineer taking a banking position or a pharmacist working in a telecoms company. i am not saying there is anything wrong with that nor am i belittling decisions made by others, just an observation)
11. A particular selling point about staying back in the US is the life i have come accustomed to and the fact most things work the way they should and the future opportunities possible
After all said and done id like to think "Fortune favors the Bold"
thanks again for all your inputs from the depth of my heart and look forward to reading more opinions as i navigate this corner of my future.
P.s (i am a christian for those that asked and i have made it so far only cause of him, so he his always first in all decisions)
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by yori: 1:38pm On Jul 30, 2015|
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Uwaomapaul(m): 1:41pm On Jul 30, 2015|
my dear, i dnt like commenting on people's thread but these your own is a different case, i graduated since 2012 still unemployed due to the situation of this country, right now am not searching for job again even if i see one my mind is not longer here, i will personally advice you, maybe i u said your family is residing over there means u from a weathy or average family. We the naija born strongulars are looking for a means to cross there even if is two weeks Visa. No matter how good you think this economy be be in future u can never compare it with USA, perhaps, there is thousants of opportunity over there. If the company promise you 500k pls dnt listen to them stay there jobs in Nigeria have no security.God help you to make a good decision.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ayandee: 1:41pm On Jul 30, 2015|
Stay put in the US. That salary (250k) is too small compared to the opportunities that await you in the US. The man-no-man syndrome here is a huge problem when it comes to job search. You will get a job in the US in due time. Be patient.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 1:55pm On Jul 30, 2015|
What if his benefits includes:
- A 2 bedroom fully-serviced flat in Ikoyi that is 10 minutes drive from his office OR N6m a year housing allowance (cash equivalent).
- A Toyota Prado with a driver that is all expense paid or annual cash equivalent of N2m.
- Relocation allowance of N6m.
- Full Health insurance and access to top private hospitals.
- 80% bonus potential.
Is the offer still small?
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by jaybee3(m): 1:58pm On Jul 30, 2015|
I see your point even though it's almost impossible for him to get such package when he isn't being employed as an SA to PEJ
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by okoomoge2(m): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2015|
In the present state of the O&G industry, what counts more now is your experience to add value and keep CAPEX below AFE and minimal OPEX for existing assets.
Please new project that are undergoing VARs at gate 2 are throughly scrutinised for definition leading to FID. All MNC are doing engineering in house now to be firm on cost associated with execution (EPIC). This means most MNC are recruiting experienced hands with proven expertise from consulting firm, EPIC contractors.
This is not era for degrees, tough time require tough measures. Most shareholders of super majors, still want dividends despite oil price heading south.
My 2 cents, take the Nigeria job and build your hands-on experience.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 2:03pm On Jul 30, 2015|
If you don't know how pregnancy disrupts her future plans, under what circumstances she got pregnant, who or what calibre of man got her pregnant, what her financial situation is etc, your advice it meaningless.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 2:05pm On Jul 30, 2015|
He does not need to reveal anything, but he needs to give ballpark indicators for one to advice him.
Another approach is to say the financials does not matter and we should advice him based on emotional factors, if that is what he really wants.
The information is way too insufficient for giving him any sensible advice.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by bxcode(m): 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2015|
Op, have you thought of seeking God's direction in this matter at all? The advise you will get here is only based on the prism of what the eyes can see, but you and know that it goes beyond that. Am not trying to sound spiritual but i believe if you just ask God in your heart to show you the right way, he surely will and you will be glad you did at the end. All the best sir.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 2:09pm On Jul 30, 2015|
Another useless Nigerian. smh.
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Anonymous1900: 2:19pm On Jul 30, 2015|
i appreciate your input but i must implore you to please refrain from attacking other contributors verbally or otherwise (that is referred to as cyber bullying) .
I would be very greatful if you don't scare away potential contributors with your harsh rhetorics, everyone is entitled to their opinion just like you and i don't want this thread to be diverted from its main purpose.
Thanks for your understanding
|Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Forward1(m): 2:32pm On Jul 30, 2015|
yeah, only him can decide. If i may ask; if you were in his shoe what would you have done? Be candid.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2023 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 305