Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90574 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by taryour(f): 1:13pm On Jun 06, 2012
Tgirl4real: Ile-Idi, all these? For Naija? shocked shocked

I dey come back

Lol
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 2:12pm On Jun 06, 2012
chamotex: sad sad sad

Chamo!!! U tongue

Missed u buddy.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 10:48pm On Jun 06, 2012
Sup Tbaby kiss kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 3:33am On Jun 08, 2012
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2012
chamotex: Sup Tbaby kiss kiss

I dey o, baby me cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by SunnyChus(m): 11:42am On Jun 11, 2012
Reprimand Bad Behavior: If your neighbors or your child's teachers are complaining about your child for exhibiting rude or harmful behavior towards others, it is better to take control of the situation now than regret later. You must punish them for showing your unhappiness towards such behavior. You can punish them by first having a talk without scolding them to explain that such behavior will not be appreciated. Show them the other side of the picture that they fail to realize. If that doesn't work, you may resort to tactics like having nobody in the family talking to the child until he/she realizes the mistake and promises to be better in future, take away the luxuries that they may have enjoyed till now like watching television, going out to play with other kids or having dessert after dinner. Do not be too harsh that they start to resent you as well.

It is important to help in developing emotional intelligence in children so that you can assure an emotionally healthy and satisfying childhood for them. It will help them protect themselves by acting rationally in difficult situations when you are not around. They develop abilities to reason out and to think logically, which helps them in the later part of life to become successful individuals. It ultimately depends on your parenting as to how to raise emotionally healthy children. Emotional intelligence helps your children to deal with threatening situations, God forbid but say for example, a stranger may have bad intentions towards your children, but your children will pick up the vibe immediately and get out of the situation before any harm is caused to them. They also learn to help others around them, show compassion and respect for other human beings. They will also co-operate with you and build a healthy parent-child relationship.

www.familylifeguide..com

1 Like

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 11, 2012
SunnyChus: Reprimand Bad Behavior: If your neighbors or your child's teachers are complaining about your child for exhibiting rude or harmful behavior towards others, it is better to take control of the situation now than regret later. You must punish them for showing your unhappiness towards such behavior. You can punish them by first having a talk without scolding them to explain that such behavior will not be appreciated. Show them the other side of the picture that they fail to realize. If that doesn't work, you may resort to tactics like having nobody in the family talking to the child until he/she realizes the mistake and promises to be better in future, take away the luxuries that they may have enjoyed till now like watching television, going out to play with other kids or having dessert after dinner. Do not be too harsh that they start to resent you as well.

It is important to help in developing emotional intelligence in children so that you can assure an emotionally healthy and satisfying childhood for them. It will help them protect themselves by acting rationally in difficult situations when you are not around. They develop abilities to reason out and to think logically, which helps them in the later part of life to become successful individuals. It ultimately depends on your parenting as to how to raise emotionally healthy children. Emotional intelligence helps your children to deal with threatening situations, God forbid but say for example, a stranger may have bad intentions towards your children, but your children will pick up the vibe immediately and get out of the situation before any harm is caused to them. They also learn to help others around them, show compassion and respect for other human beings. They will also co-operate with you and build a healthy parent-child relationship.

www.familylifeguide..com

Talk talk talk, lol. I prefer to "cane cane cane" the stubborn child. LMAO!! Joking. You made some excellent points.

I don't understand the bolded part, and at what age do you want to practice that?

My mom usually gives me three chances before she makes her move. One day, I didn't even see the beating coming. chaiiii!!!! I was on her good side from then on.

1 Like

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by smartmom(f): 1:59pm On Jun 12, 2012
I would like to know the take of naija parents on manners of their kids. Would you let your kids have their views expressed no matter what to build their self confidence?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 2:27pm On Jun 15, 2012
smartmom: I would like to know the take of naija parents on manners of their kids. Would you let your kids have their views expressed no matter what to build their self confidence?

Well, to a certain extent. I prefer to train my child up to be bold, but she must also learn when to speak and when not to. So, she can express are views and she should also be ready to be corrected when her views are wrong.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 19, 2012
smartmom: I would like to know the take of naija parents on manners of their kids. Would you let your kids have their views expressed no matter what to build their self confidence?

Yes, a confident child should not be afraid or be intimidated in any way to express himself/herself because that really builds their self esteem and self worth. BUT not in a rude way and thats when a parent comes in , to direct /teach her on how to express her views in any situation without being rude in any way.

2 Likes

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by AjanleKoko: 9:19am On Sep 05, 2012

Things have changed from when our parents raised us. Now, even the schools encourage the kids to speak out and express their views.
My kids are far more articulate and challenging than any of us could have ever been at their age. So, it helps to keep one on one's toes, so you don't get caught by your kid with your foot in it. Also helps to develop a very good rapport with your kids from an early age, something our parents never bothered with. If they needed us to get a particular message, they just yelled it, or beat it, into our consciousness cheesy

I remember driving with my boy recently, and some rap song was playing on the car radio. Liberal use of the F word. Then my son goes 'Daddy why are you listening to that song? It has a bad word!'. Needless to say I changed the dial sharply wink Same goes for TV, now we screen programs that we watch. Anything adult-themed is not watched while the kids are awake.

1 Like

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:31am On Sep 06, 2012

yes, so long it is done in a timely and respectful manner.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by DAvIt0(m): 6:47am On Sep 06, 2012
~Sissy~:

yes, so long it is done in a timely and respectful manner.

Wow really? Cool tho
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:37pm On Sep 06, 2012
the most important thing is teaching them how to be an assertive individual
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 3:11pm On Sep 07, 2012
^^^ But being too assertive has its disadvantages Sissy.

Babe, how are u? Glad u still come around. wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 2:16am On Sep 08, 2012
*whistling*
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 4:25am On Sep 08, 2012
Tgirl4real: ^^^ But being too assertive has its disadvantages Sissy.

Babe, how are u? Glad u still come around. wink

i think that sometimes ppl tend to mistake assertiveness as being aggressive and arrogant

My dearest dear, i dey o. how body

[size=2pt]e be like say una wan leave this place dry finish[/size] cry cry

chamotex: *whistling*

na only whistling? when will u start singing out loud kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 4:28am On Sep 08, 2012
~Sissy~:

na only whistling? when will u start singing out loud kiss

You want me to sing for you?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 4:34am On Sep 08, 2012
chamotex:

You want me to sing for you?

make my day wink wink kiss kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 4:38am On Sep 08, 2012
~Sissy~:

make my day wink wink kiss kiss

*singing* Just call my name and I'll be thereeeeeeeeeee

Lol. I cant sing to save my life but manage it smiley kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 4:41am On Sep 08, 2012
BTW Sissy, I've read some of your posts on this thread . . .I want my future wife to be like you smiley
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 4:46am On Sep 08, 2012
chamotex:

*singing* Just call my name and I'll be thereeeeeeeeeee

Lol. I cant sing to save my life but manage it smiley kiss

Lol, damn. i was expecting some soulful soft music with divinely blessed voice sad sad sad

you try small shaa kiss kiss

how far, this one u dey appear once every blue moon angry
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 9:38am On Sep 08, 2012
~Sissy~:

I think that sometimes ppl tend to mistake assertiveness as being aggressive and arrogant

My dearest dear, i dey o. how body

[size=2pt]e be like say una wan leave this place dry finish[/size] cry cry

Yea, my dear. I'm assertive, but some people tend to mention it as one of my weaknesses. As in...she's too assertive...u get!

Me sef dey wonder say dis place don turn dry land. Lol

My baby is 20 months and the questions are less. What I'm bothered with now is finding a school for her. One she can stay till she finishes her primary or at least nursery. I don't want to be changing her up n down. I feel it will be emotionally draining for her even at dat age. What do u think?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 10:19am On Sep 08, 2012
chamotex: BTW Sissy, I've read some of your posts on this thread . . .I want my future wife to be like you smiley

awwww.....no worry she will be better smileykiss kiss kiss
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:14am On Sep 08, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Yea, my dear. I'm assertive, but some people tend to mention it as one of my weaknesses. As in...she's too assertive...u get!

Me sef dey wonder say dis place don turn dry land. Lol

My baby is 20 months and the questions are less. What I'm bothered with now is finding a school for her. One she can stay till she finishes her primary or at least nursery. I don't want to be changing her up n down. I feel it will be emotionally draining for her even at dat age. What do u think?

not surprising especially given our culture and view of women. our culture generally don't encourage assertive communication in girls/women at least the older generation. so when you are that assertive, more than likely it will be misconstrued as being more on the aggressive side esp as a woman.not denying the fact there are certain ppl who can fall on the extreme side of each though.

take your time with the school search. i wouldnt encourage up/down change too unless it is absolutely necessary
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2012
Thanks Sissy.

In dis case it is, may be not now though, but she has to eventually. What I don't want is a situation whereby I will change her now and still end up changing her later. I will probably wait till she is 2.

Thanks.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by DeGenius3(m): 2:52pm On Sep 27, 2012
it's a really nice stuff when you bring a child up and he/she reflects excellence.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2012
Bullying - we all know who they are , especially in our kids schools( no matter how sofisticated it is) and in our communities.

Question- how do we teach our kids about and how to deal with these troubled attention seeking kids called a bully?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 8:11pm On Sep 27, 2012
Hmmm... Thatz something every parent has to deal with one way or the other. I remember my sis saying that she wil train her kids to defend themselves physically. I don't agree cos I don't believe giving violence for violence will solve any thing.

Confidence is the first thing. Once you train your child to be bold and confident, they will not be riidden our by their mates.

Secondly, teach them to be expressive. They should learn to speak up and not allow themselves to be shut out.

Thirdly, they should always report any such act no matter the threat from the bully.

Lastly, parents should learn to take action when such is reported. Ask your kids questions about school. Follow up any report they make to the teachers/caregiver. And such child (bully) should be warned and reported to his/her parents.

Thinking about it now, I think we've addressed dis issue b4. May be Sissy can help dig it out.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / Why Do Women Lose Interest In Sex After Marriage? / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.