Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,463 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90606 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by pretim(f): 10:21am On Apr 15, 2012
[color=#770077][/color] grin it 2ru o
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by SunnyChus(m): 10:25am On Apr 18, 2012
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 25, 2012
Nneka you have to pray hard,thats solution.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by edenplusRomance: 3:59am On May 01, 2012
Bonding 101

Activities such as sports, going to the movies, eating together or holding regular one to one uninterrupted discussions, can help us connect with our spouses and children in intimate ways.

NB: Use these opportunities to intimately connect with your family while reinforcing strong Christian values such as love, self control, faithfulness etc

Join us at https://www.facebook.com/EdenPlus
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by edenplusRomance: 7:51am On May 02, 2012
From www.facebook.com/EdenPlus

Bonding 101 (Parents and guidance)

"Bonding is defined as the process by which individuals become emotionally attached to one another" (Free online dictionary, 2012). We can not achieve this by chance.

NB: Children's understanding of LOVE = TIME spent with them.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 03, 2012
Tgirl4real: Hello all,

its been quite a while. I hope everyone is ok.

Letz discuss this:

When searching for a care giver or creche, what and what do you put into consideration?

Hey sweetie, got your message. I'm very much glad that you asked this question. A lot of Nigerian parents don't take into consideration what is most important when looking for a child care giver. some don't even care. This question makes me happy smiley
Well, here are the list of questions I'd properly ask if I was looking for a caregiver:

The first most important thing you should consider is the caregiver's background history
==> Years of experience
==> Why did she leave her previous job?
==> What does her previous employee has to say about her?
==>What does other people who know her have to say about her?

Medical History
==> Does she carry any abnormality that might hinder her from properly performing her task?
==> Does she carry any transferable diseases?
==> Is she atleast a bit aware of the general pediatric medical symptoms/ signs ==> high temperature, abdominal pain, headache etc
==> Would she know what to do in case of an emergency?
==> How fast is her reaction?

Stress
==> Can she still provide appropriate are while under stress that is both related and unrelated to her caregiving services?
==> Can she control herself during stress?
==> Can she cope with stress factors? Or how well does she cope with stress factors?

TEMPERAMENT, aggression, etc
==> Understanding that sometimes we all can't control out emotions, but how well can she control hers? Esp when in the presence of little children.
==> Does she easily aggress towards the children in her keep?
==> Can she separate her personal life from her job? ===> IMPORTANT QUESTION IN ANY FIELD==> You don't want a woman who just got cheated on by her boyfriend to take her anger out on your kids o. A woman scorned. . . .

Abuse ==> Both Physical and verbal. This depends on you
==> What can she say in front of your kids?
==> Does she curse? Does she insult them verbally?
==> Does she get physical,in terms of beating, with her wards?
==>Basically, do you want her to beat your kids? The thing about physical punishment is that it cannot be defined. You can't say "oh beat them small" "oh beat them a lot". It's either you allow her to beat your kids or not. And if you give her the get-go, how do you know she won't beat them for the smallest, insignificant reasons? She might beat them for something that could be easily modeled to them (like, showing them how to pour juice, instead of beating them for pouring juice all over the table).

Education
==> The minimum education requirement should be an associate degree. Kids don't learn anything in high school abeg.

The best way to get this question answered is to watch her taking care of your kids for a few days. After that, pay close attention to your children. watch their reaction, talk to them, and make sure they're okay. To make it easier, just put program any kind of digital cameral in every corner of your home.

I'm sure that there are other questions I did not cover, hope others will.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 8:14am On May 04, 2012
Ile-Idi, all these? For Naija? shocked shocked

I dey come back

1 Like

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 4:06pm On May 04, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

The first most important thing you should consider is the caregiver's background history
==> Years of experience
==> Why did she leave her previous job?
==> What does her previous employee has to say about her?
==>What does other people who know her have to say about her?

The above isn't easy to find out here with thousands of schools flooding everywhere. Well, I was able to ask about No.1 and 2 sha. Then, I finally settled for a school that was recommended by a family friend.

Medical History
==> Does she carry any abnormality that might hinder her from properly performing her task?
==> Does she carry any transferable diseases?
==> Is she atleast a bit aware of the general pediatric medical symptoms/ signs ==> high temperature, abdominal pain, headache etc
==> Would she know what to do in case of an emergency?
==> How fast is her reaction?

You are absolutely right about this area. Actually, wanted a school and not a nanny. If I were to take a nanny, I will certainly consider all these. A friend of mine usually ensures she runs a comprehensive medical check up for anyone she wants to employ. The last one had hepatitis B (Hope I got it right)

Stress
==> Can she still provide appropriate are while under stress that is both related and unrelated to her caregiving services?
==> Can she control herself during stress?
==> Can she cope with stress factors? Or how well does she cope with stress factors?

TEMPERAMENT, aggression, etc
==> Understanding that sometimes we all can't control out emotions, but how well can she control hers? Esp when in the presence of little children.
==> Does she easily aggress towards the children in her keep?
==> Can she separate her personal life from her job? ===> IMPORTANT QUESTION IN ANY FIELD==> You don't want a woman who just got cheated on by her boyfriend to take her anger out on your kids o. A woman scorned. . . .

Abuse ==> Both Physical and verbal. This depends on you
==> What can she say in front of your kids?
==> Does she curse? Does she insult them verbally?
==> Does she get physical,in terms of beating, with her wards?
==>Basically, do you want her to beat your kids? The thing about physical punishment is that it cannot be defined. You can't say "oh beat them small" "oh beat them a lot". It's either you allow her to beat your kids or not. And if you give her the get-go, how do you know she won't beat them for the smallest, insignificant reasons? She might beat them for something that could be easily modeled to them (like, showing them how to pour juice, instead of beating them for pouring juice all over the table).

You won't get to discover all these till you spend time with them o.

Education
==> The minimum education requirement should be an associate degree. Kids don't learn anything in high school abeg.

The best way to get this question answered is to watch her taking care of your kids for a few days. After that, pay close attention to your children. watch their reaction, talk to them, and make sure they're okay. To make it easier, just put program any kind of digital cameral in every corner of your home.

I'm sure that there are other questions I did not cover, hope others will.

Thanks dear, you covered the major grounds. Though the question is meant to be for a baby. All the same, I have learnt a lot. wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 04, 2012
Tgirl4real: Ile-Idi, all these? For Naija? shocked shocked

I dey come back

Yes o, you should never lower standard on your baby's safety.
i'm sure that there are college students looking for extra cash, and baby sitting is a fine option. It pays both ways; you have someone to watch your baby, she learns a lil thing about motherhood.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 04, 2012
^^^ Ohhh you wanted a school?

Sorry, will be back with a better post lol tongue

Usually caregiver= nanny/ babysitter
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 7:12pm On May 04, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Yes o, you should never lower standard on your baby's safety.
i'm sure that there are college students looking for extra cash, and baby sitting is a fine option. It pays both ways; you have someone to watch your baby, she learns a lil thing about motherhood.

Yes. Babysitters are good but u hardly find good ones here in naija as d concept is not totally welcome.

I would love to start such outfit in the future.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 12, 2012
Clear Criminal check

Clear child abuse registry check

Very good recommendations from her references and past employers

Then she is good to go.

Immunize your children to protect them from catching any disease and TRAIN your own kids the habit of proper hand-washing,

I have 3 nannies/babysitters I alternate in case one calls in sick, you're sick, you're not coming near my kids no matter how I adore you.

Like ileke suggested-I also use those universities/high school girls(international students) that are in need of money like crazy, at least I gotta help, makes me feel good and they do everything for you and makes me feel like big big madam with the way they respect you and all grin

I hope this helps.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 12:50am On May 13, 2012
Yes it does. Thanks a lot Jidegirl.

I wonder how u manage 3 nannies wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:48am On May 19, 2012
@Tforreal?(I hope I got that right) , I don't manage 3 nannies, umm I do I explain this to you.... It's just like being on call for a job and they only get paid when called in to sit, got it? I have 3 of them I can text , email or call anytime I want , yes...Anytime. I wonder what that hidden poster wrote, good job Mods!! now I can come in here and not worried about bullies with un constructive arguments. Good job, like the new look.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 8:32pm On May 20, 2012
jidegirl12: @Tforreal?(I hope I got that right) , I don't manage 3 nannies, umm I do I explain this to you.... It's just like being on call for a job and they only get paid when called in to sit, got it? I have 3 of them I can text , email or call anytime I want , yes...Anytime. I wonder what that hidden poster wrote, good job Mods!! now I can come in here and not worried about bullies with un constructive arguments. Good job, like the new look.

Ok. I get you. I thot u pay dem all sum'n at the end of the month. Even at that, how come the same nannies are always available?

The poster above was advertising his Facebook page. smiley
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 22, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Ok. I get you. I thot u pay dem all sum'n at the end of the month. Even at that, how come the same nannies are always available?

The poster above was advertising his Facebook page. smiley

Ummm... Nope you don't get me, I ll leave it alone, it's just like going in circles explaining to you again, take care, good game last nite ( Lakers/ OKC).
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sweethunibun(m): 12:45am On May 26, 2012
Epi: @poster:

While reading your post, I found these two interesting threads @ the bottom

Diciplining Children

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-71675.0.html

Children raised in Nigeria are better.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-188339.32.html
discipline in western countries here are classified as abuse,assault etc.. and is really pissing me off
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:12am On May 27, 2012
sweet hunibun: discipline in western countries here are classified as abuse,assault etc.. and is really pissing me off

all depends on what you classify as discipline. beating a child to a pulp might be considered as a method of discipline by some
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 4:10pm On May 27, 2012
Sissy, where on earth have u been? Lol
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 7:20pm On May 27, 2012
Hey Tgirl,

my dear i dey o, just that life no gree let me drink and keep cup one place! embarassed embarassed

how body
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 9:00pm On May 27, 2012
~Sissy~:
Hey Tgirl,

my dear i dey o, just that life no gree let me drink and keep cup one place! embarassed embarassed

how body

it is well jare. Its like dat sometimes. U get choked right, left n center.

I am fine, thanks.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:43am On Jun 01, 2012
jidegirl12: Clear Criminal check

Clear child abuse registry check

Very good recommendations from her references and past employers

Then she is good to go.

Immunize your children to protect them from catching any disease and TRAIN your own kids the habit of proper hand-washing,

I have 3 nannies/babysitters I alternate in case one calls in sick, you're sick, you're not coming near my kids no matter how I adore you.

Like ileke suggested-I also use those universities/high school girls(international students) that are in need of money like crazy, at least I gotta help, makes me feel good and they do everything for you and makes me feel like big big madam with the way they respect you and all grin

I hope this helps.

grin wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:43am On Jun 01, 2012
~Sissy~:
Hey Tgirl,

how body

I am invisible abi? embarassed
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:33pm On Jun 01, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I am invisible abi? embarassed

awww my dear ebony kiss kiss kiss. how can i forget thee embarassed embarassed embarassed

abeg, no vex for me jare. na old age dey worry me sad sad sad

how body my dear
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 01, 2012
~Sissy~:

awww my dear ebony kiss kiss kiss. how can i forget thee embarassed embarassed embarassed

abeg, no vex for me jare. na old age dey worry me sad sad sad

how body my dear

Body dey inside cloth. Thanks.

so are you back on this section? smiley
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:54am On Jun 06, 2012
sad embarassedsad
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 12:21pm On Jun 06, 2012
Why d sad/sick face na
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 12:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
sad sad sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story / Why Do Women Lose Interest In Sex After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.