Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal (14610 Views)

Why Do People Deny Power Of God? / The Power Of Choice / Eckhart Tolle Spiritual Healing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 9:23am On Dec 09, 2015
MizMyColi:
I guess this has more to do with years of conditioning
No not conditioning
but more to do with the fruit of the Spirit
which is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control

MizMyColi:
The belief that we are meant to be happy go lucky always and never sad
Am not sure how you came to this conclusion. Note the bolded ''angry'' and ''sad'' in Mark 3:5 below

He looked around at them angrily and was deeply saddened by their hard hearts.
Then he said to the man,
"Hold out your hand." So the man held out his hand, and it was restored!
- Mark 3:5

MizMyColi:
That aside, being a peacemaker by default, it just naturally upsets me when I get angry.
I think of it as something unhealthy, like a virus that should be expelled by any and all means necessary.

I guess I've come to a time in my journey where I must embrace the so called "ugly side"
Make peace with it. Accept it as part and parcel of just being
Anger is part and parcel of man's makeup.
It's an essential or integral component of man. Dont fight it, just learn how to understand it.
What you learn of and/or about it, makes it easy to handle, manage or control
What you learn about it, makes it easy not to abnormally use anger, not to abuse anger

We get angry when we are annoyed,
like when something bothers or disturbs us, in a way that displeases or irritates us

With the above in mind, here are two examples of anger
(e.g. Esau's unrighteous anger and Jesus' righteous anger)

43"Now therefore, my son, obey my voice, and arise, flee to Haran, to my brother Laban!
44"Stay with him a few days, until your brother's fury subsides,
45until your brother's anger against you subsides and he forgets what you did to him.
Then I will send and get you from there
- Genesis 27:43-45

14He found those who were selling cattle, sheep, and pigeons in the temple courtyard. He also found moneychangers sitting there.
15He made a whip from small ropes and threw everyone with their sheep and cattle out of the temple courtyard.
He dumped the moneychangers' coins and knocked over their tables.
16He told those who sold pigeons, "Pick up this stuff, and get it out of here! Stop making my Father's house a marketplace!"
17His disciples remembered that Scripture said, "Devotion for your house will consume me."
John 2:14-17

MizMyColi:
Sometimes, on this journey, progress could mean 3 steps backward
Stepping back could also mean mustering up strength
''Agutan to tadi mehin, lo mu agbara wa ni''
loosely translated means:
''The ram that takes a few steps back, gains extra momentum which leads to more strength or power when head butting''

MizMyColi:
Loolz, @enjoying anger
grin grin grin grin grin

I'll try that
Please enjoy anger, enjoy it the right way.
I enjoy muttering idiot at drivers under my breath, when their cars cut in ahead of me or when they do other bad driving habits
It's releasing, it's therapeutic
Loolz, grin grin grin grin grin

Mindfulness:
What does progress mean in this context?
Progress, ought to mean moving forward
a position emanated from constantly questioning, especially questioning to a void
and continuously learning from answered questions

Mindfulness:
What do you want to achieve?
Debunking myths. Dispelling falsism (i.e. dismiss supposed truths)

MizMyColi:
I was passively taught to think of it as something to be eschewed.
Like it's a sin
Be angry without sinning. Don't go to bed angry
- Ephesians 4:26

What is sin? Sin is missing the mark
Certainly, it was ''passively taught'' that way because it is easy to miss the mark with anger

Rebecca observed Esau is seething with anger, he's ready on sight to kill his brother Jacob
Anger can lead to sin (i.e. lead to missing the mark),
Anger is like a loaded firearm that needs to be carefully and safely handled, else there could be a homicide, repercussions etcetera

Let go of anger, and leave rage behind. Do not be preoccupied. It only leads to evil.
- Psalm 37:8

Psalm 37:8 is an advice on how to manage the frame or state of the mind and the emotion anger

It implies, dont be angry for long.
Without being late, turn from it, before it escalates into a rage (i.e. violent uncontrollable anger)
Keep temper in check, have a fit, have a temper but dont lose the temper.
Don't be angry busy or busy angry, don't let anger eat you up
Don't allow anger, lead you, to cause harm or do evil

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 09, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Keenly waiting to read it
and so here is Isaiah 40:29 for you

He gives strength to those who are tired;
to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy
- Isaiah 40:29

There is nothing left to say since you have said it all. smiley
I love it. cheesy

In a nutshell, anger is normal and natural. We can choose to fight it - which won't help in the long run - or we can learn to manage it; in a way that will serve us. cool

I learned this lesson just a week ago or so and consider it therefore a remarkable "coincidence" that you are discussing the topic just now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 09, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

Progress, ought to mean moving forward
a position emanated from constantly questioning, especially questioning to a void
and continuously learning from answered questions

And don't you just love these states of clarity in which you receive perfect answers?

Debunking myths. Dispelling falsism (i.e. dismiss supposed truths)

How do you define truth?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 10:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
Mindfulness:
And don't you just love these states of clarity in which you receive perfect answers?
All I want or need are answers, if perfect its a bonus then
Enquiry minds, tending to seek answers, information, learn or develop etcetera will always question to a void

Mindfulness:
How do you define truth?
Theologically and simplistically put, God's word is truth.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 09, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

Theologically and simplistically put, God's word is truth.

Words are often polysemous, is the truth also open to interpretation?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 11:03pm On Dec 09, 2015
Mindfulness:
Words are often polysemous
God's word(s) isnt polysemous
I think you wrote that ontologically speaking

Mindfulness:
is the truth also open to interpretation?
Of course, it is. Why not

Explain this word of God (i.e. truth) in Genesis 2:17, you may use Proverbs 19:23 for leverage

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it:
for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
- Genesis 2:17

The fear of the LORD leads to life; whoever is satisfied with it will rest, untouched by evil
- Proverbs 19:23
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 09, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
God's word(s) isnt polysemous
I think you wrote that ontologically speaking

I was more like referring to semantics.

Of course, it is. Why not

I am glad you said 'of course' because this open-ness is where the fun is.

Explain this word of God (i.e. truth) in Genesis 2:17, you may use Proverbs 19:23 for leverage

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it:
for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
- Genesis 2:17

What does the tree of knowledge stand for?

The fear of the LORD leads to life; whoever is satisfied with it will rest, untouched by evil
- Proverbs 19:23

These are the Bible passages that make me feel like too many people spoiled the essence of it all.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 3:16am On Dec 10, 2015
This a cool thread. I think some Christians are confusing the their religious idol(yahweh) with the conscious energy which is in everyone of us. We are all made of source energy,which some people call God. The God(source energy) that never judges or interferes in human affairs. It gives no laws,rule and regulations or wants anything from anyone. I am talking about the Eternal energy field that is our essence.

This energy is us split in billions of ways,experiencing itself in different form. The best way to enjoy this energy field is to live in the NOW as the OP has rightly said.

2 Likes

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 8:44am On Dec 10, 2015
Mindfulness:
I was more like referring to semantics
Semantics or no semantics, God's word is truth

Mindfulness:
I am glad you said 'of course' because this open-ness is where the fun is
It is the glory of God to conceal a matter
and the glory of kings to investigate a matter
- Proverbs 25:2

Mindfulness:
What does the tree of knowledge stand for?
Before answering this, lets get the record straight.
Are you agreeing, that God's word about guaranteed death from eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is true?

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil is a trope (i.e. a figure of speech) or metonymy, if you prefer the latter.
The higher the altitude you're standing on, the better the viewpoint with more to see what it stood for
e.g. personification, intimacy, experience, Pandora's box

Mindfulness:
These are the Bible passages that make me feel like too many people spoiled the essence of it all
Please expatiate
Who are the ''too many cooks spoiled the broth''
and what's their impact on the bible passages aforementioned?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 8:44am On Dec 10, 2015
1feness:
This a cool thread
Yeah its a kewl one

1feness:
I think some Christians are confusing the their religious idol (yahweh) with the conscious energy which is in everyone of us
God is not an idol, please do not twist the truth.
God is relationship-centric.
In the beginning God has always been about fellowship, relationship and communion

God has come full circle to relationship.
Now, the only religion God approves now, is found in James 1:27

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father
means caring for orphans and widows in their distress
and refusing to let the world corrupt you
- James 1:27

1feness:
We are all made of source energy, which some people call God
You actually mean, we are made of dust and become animated via God's breath of life

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and man became a living soul
- Genesis 2:7

"The spirit of God fashioned me; and the breath of the Almighty gives me life
- Job 33:4

as long as my breath is still in me and the breath from God remains in my nostrils
- Job 27:3

1feness:
The God (source energy) that never judges or interferes in human affairs
God never interferring with the human will, doesnt mean man will not give account of all his/her affairs, escapades or whatnots

So man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment
(i.e. to state his/her case and justify all thoughts, actions, deeds etcetera carried out or why not carried out)

1feness:
It gives no laws, rule and regulations or wants anything from anyone. I am talking about the Eternal energy field that is our essence
It is appalling naivety to come to the conclusion God gives no laws, rule and regulations or wants anything from anyone.
Try jumping off a plane in mid air without a parachute, and report back of the absence of any law

1feness:
This energy is us split in billions of ways, experiencing itself in different form. The best way to enjoy this energy field is to live in the NOW as the OP has rightly said
The best way to enjoy life, is to live it to the best of one's ability, live it to the fullest and live in the Now for a good eternal

As the Holy Spirit says, "If you hear God speak today, don't be stubborn
- Hebrews 3:7

For he says, "At the right time I heard you, and on a day of salvation I helped you."
Listen, now is really the "right time"!
Now is the "day of salvation"!
- 2 Corinthians 6:2
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 8:52am On Dec 10, 2015
1feness:
This a cool thread. I think some Christians are confusing the their religious idol(yahweh) with the conscious energy which is in everyone of us. We are all made of source energy,which some people call God. The God(source energy) that never judges or interferes in human affairs. It gives no laws,rule and regulations or wants anything from anyone. I am talking about the Eternal energy field that is our essence.

This energy is us split in billions of ways,experiencing itself in different form. The best way to enjoy this energy field is to live in the NOW as the OP has rightly said.

I quite agree with you in a way.
On the other hand though, I wonder how a person can truly believe that they're made from a source energy which abandons him or her.

I mean, It's like a Father, Son relationship - even when the father has raised the son to a place where he can stand on his own and create life for himself, as long as he (the) father lives, there's no way he'd just hands off the affairs of his son.

There will be challenging times, there will be those times when he needs a father, not necessarily to tell him how to run his life, but to just be there....more like a pillar, of support and of comfort.

Now that's akin to reaching out to this source energy within us when we're at our lowest ebb.
And then we feel raised up or have some Eureka moment.

That's a form of interference, in my opinion.

While this being (God) has given us all we'd ever need to make a successful life, I think He (it) never really leaves us.
We are one with it. For eternity, for all ages to come. It is a consciousness within us. A powerful force field/dimension.

Coming into a full realization of this is when we begin to live as the God beings we truly are.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 9:29am On Dec 10, 2015
Good Morning MuttleyLaff

I however find that there's no way one'd express anger without inherently causing another hurt/pain...whether they realize or not.

Say for example, muttering "Idiot or Dunce" under your breath to someone who skids right infront of your car.

Shouldn't we be blessing others instead of cussing them?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 10, 2015
MizMyColi:

I quite agree with you in a way.
On the other hand though, I wonder how a person can truly believe that they're made from a source energy which abandons him or her.

I mean, It's like a Father, Son relationship - even when the father has raised the son to a place where he can stand on his own and create life for himself, as long as he (the) father lives, there's no way he'd just hands off the affairs of his son.

There will be challenging times, there will be those times when he needs a father, not necessarily to tell him how to run his life, but to just be there....more like a pillar, of support and of comfort.

Now that's akin to reaching out to this source energy within us when we're at our lowest ebb.
And then we feel raised up or have some Eureka moment.

That's a form of interference, in my opinion.

While this being (God) has given us all we'd ever need to make a successful life, I think He (it) never really leaves us.
We are one with it. For eternity, for all ages to come. It is a consciousness within us. A powerful force field/dimension.

Coming into a full realization of this is when we begin to live as the God beings we truly are.

I never said source energy abandons. I meant everything is source energy,not external. Therefore every thing is one experiencing itself as many.

4 Likes

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Yeah its a kewl one

God is not an idol, please do not twist the truth.
God is relationship-centric.
In the beginning God has always been about fellowship, relationship and communion

God has come full circle to relationship.
Now, the only religion God approves now, is found in James 1:27

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father
means caring for orphans and widows in their distress
and refusing to let the world corrupt you
- James 1:27

You actually mean, we are made of dust and become animated via God's breath of life

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and man became a living soul
- Genesis 2:7

"The spirit of God fashioned me; and the breath of the Almighty gives me life
- Job 33:4

as long as my breath is still in me and the breath from God remains in my nostrils
- Job 27:3

God never interferring with the human will, doesnt mean man will not give account of all his/her affairs, escapades or whatnots

So man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment
(i.e. to state his/her case and justify all thoughts, actions, deeds etcetera carried out or why not carried out)

It is appalling naivety to come to the conclusion God gives no laws, rule and regulations or wants anything from anyone.
Try jumping off a plane in mid air without a parachute, and report back of the absence of any law

The best way to enjoy life, is to live it to the best of one's ability, live it to the fullest and live in the Now for a good eternal

As the Holy Spirit says, "If you hear God speak today, don't be stubborn
- Hebrews 3:7

For he says, "At the right time I heard you, and on a day of salvation I helped you."
Listen, now is really the "right time"!
Now is the "day of salvation"!
- 2 Corinthians 6:2

NO! The bible gods were the anunaki who modified the human body. Apart from that everything is "ENERGY FIELD". No father or son relationship. No one is having fellowship,everyone is the one have different life experiences at the same time.

De to the fact that the anunaki genetically altered evolved human, humans started seeing them as gods because they felt they had extreme supernatural abilities.

No one is appointed to die once and face judgment. No one is judging anyone since we are all one energy which split into different forms. Judging is a negative vibe. A person who has evolved spiritually will never judge but love unconditionally

What Salvation meant in the bible is someone who becomes enlighten. Enlightenment starts with acquiring the right knowledge which transforms/enhances/frees the mindset of the individual from low to high vibrations.

And yes there are no laws. Any law that can be broken isn't real law except the 5 laws that cannot be broke. These laws universal laws and principles that are obvious

Lists of the universal laws.

1 You exist. (I AM)
2 Everything is Here/Now.
3 The All is one, and the One is all.
4 What you put out is what you get back.
5 The only constant in the universe is change -
except for the first 4 laws, which never change

Take a look at these laws. Think about breaking them,but you can't.

Let me know which one you can break out of them.

3 Likes

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 10, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Semantics or no semantics, God's word is truth

The point I was trying to make was that words are ambiguous, which means that people understand words differently.
Consequently, God's word can be understood differently and it thus leaves the question of how objective truth can be.

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter
and the glory of kings to investigate a matter
- Proverbs 25:2

Before answering this, lets get the record straight.
Are you agreeing, that God's word about guaranteed death from eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil is true?

I can't agree to something I don't fully comprehend.

The tree of the knowledge of good and evil is a trope (i.e. a figure of speech) or metonymy, if you prefer the latter.
The higher the altitude you're standing on, the better the viewpoint with more to see what it stood for
e.g. personification, intimacy, experience, Pandora's box

I know that it has a figurative meaning and not a literal one and I also think that it stands for different things such as experience that teaches, a piece of writing that informs and so on and so forth but I still don't get which one of them is deadly.

Please expatiate
Who are the ''too many cooks spoiled the broth''
and what's their impact on the bible passages aforementioned?

There are many Bible passages that do not resonate with me at all and I don't believe that everything in the Bible is the word of God. This particular Bible passage is the perfect example. I don't believe that we have to fear God. In fact, God is what makes me fear-less.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 10, 2015
MizMyColi:
Good Morning MuttleyLaff

I however find that there's no way one'd express anger without inherently causing another hurt/pain...whether they realize or not.

If you decide to punch your pillow in anger, how does it hurt anyone?
If you shout out insults in your room that nobody can hear, how do you hurt the person you are calling names when the person can't hear you?

Say for example, muttering "Idiot or Dunce" under your breath to someone who skids right infront of your car.

Does it hurt the person you are calling these names? They can't hear you. So what is wrong with it?

Shouldn't we be blessing others instead of cussing them?

I can bless them once my anger subsides and it can only subside if I allow it first. My primary and most important job is to feel good. If I feel good, I can do a lot of good to and for others. If I don't, I won't even if you or the pope tell me that I should. Bottling up anger in the name of some standards that you or others have imposed on yourself will only make you implode or explode disproportionately and make it worse for you and others around you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 11, 2015
1feness:

I never said source energy abandons. I meant everything is source energy,not external. Therefore every thing is one experiencing itself as many.

I share this view and it pretty much reflects some of the points E. Tolle was trying to pass across.

Once we silence our thoughts and by doing so give up all identifications, we can feel the pure life energy that flows through our physical bodies. This life energy, which is formless, is God. This is why we can never entirely disconnect from God, who is the source of all life energy.

This is why Tolle states that death is an illusion. Life energy never seizes to be. It flows eternally and it takes on different forms. The forms evolve but life energy remains the same as it is eternal.

The following is one of the few Bible passages that resonate with me and it further supports the notion that God is within ourselves:

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

If God was a person, he would have to be a hermaphrodite and not a fatherly figure sitting on a throne in heaven. grin "He" is neither. We are like God in that we are life energy. Our forms are heterogeneous but beyond them we are the formless life energy of which God is the source.

I love it. smileysmiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by beejaay: 8:25pm On Dec 12, 2015
MizMyColi:

Hiiii
Good Morning.

Hello Mindfulnesssmiley
Good Morning From Nigeria.

Phew! Phew!

How do you get yourself to completely dissociate from anger at certain people?

Okay, this morning, I was angry. The pain body took over. I couldn't get self to dissociate from it.
I tried (STOP TRYING...)
I was uncomfortable with being surrounded with such negative energy early in the morning.(EMBRACE EVERY MOMENT AS IF U WANT IT)

So while in the bus on my way to work.
I made peace. (BE PEACE INSTEAD OF MAKING PEACE//LET THE ENERGY FLOW)
I made peace with my emotions.
I stopped fighting it. (GREAT GREAT)
I admitted that I was angry. I told myself that I know I shouldn't be, but I am. I accepted it, without holding a grudge at myself for doing so.

In that moment, I felt peace.
I could feel an excitement, coursing through my body. I felt it most on my legs.
I felt like reaching out to a partial cause of the anger and saying "Hey, I wish you well, have a nice day"...

I enjoy being self-possesed and relishing in quiet strength.

As I write now, I feel put back together, Lolz.

So...
I mentioned you two so you could just talk with me...
Maybe give tips on how not to ever identify with such emotions anymore...
Maybe tap from your energies tootongue
grin

am sorry i reply late as am just seeing this now.....

one cant stop the emotion from coming every once in a while, stopping it is to stop being human however one can reach a stage where you stopped getting trapped with the negativity because one have become one with it...that stage is always NOW...embracing the NOW is a gradual process of conscious preparation and exercise same as u are doing now...to live in the NOW we have to deal with blocks of negativity we have had to hide subconsciously overtime

to win over the darkside, one need to be the darkside...we must first embrace the darkness in us before we can appreciate the light....behind every light source is a darkness, darkness born from darkness.....

the only thing that have helped in this journey of self enlightenment is my acceptance stand....i have been able to wired my brain to accept any outcomes very fast thereby looking for solution if there are any...maybe you should practice acceptance too....acceptance make me forgive easily and move on very fast even when it comes to the issues of relationships and personal failures...

if you av any thought kindly share it and maybe we could talk about it
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 9:49pm On Dec 12, 2015
beejaay:

am sorry i reply late as am just seeing this now.....

one cant stop the emotion from coming every once in a while, stopping it is to stop being human however one can reach a stage where you stopped getting trapped with the negativity because one have become one with it...that stage is always NOW...embracing the NOW is a gradual process of conscious preparation and exercise same as u are doing now...to live in the NOW we have to deal with blocks of negativity we have had to hide subconsciously overtime

to win over the darkside, one need to be the darkside...we must first embrace the darkness in us before we can appreciate the light....behind every light source is a darkness, darkness born from darkness.....

the only thing that have helped in this journey of self enlightenment is my acceptance stand....i have been able to wired my brain to accept any outcomes very fast thereby looking for solution if there are any...maybe you should practice acceptance too....acceptance make me forgive easily and move on very fast even when it comes to the issues of relationships and personal failures...

if you av any thought kindly share it and maybe we could talk about it

Waow!
Waow.

Thank you for this, all you have said is expository.

Lately, I've been dealing with strange anger.
The kind of anger where one reacts in a certain manner and in a flash you're like "why? Why did I just react this way?"

Even on here, it shows, I guess.
I tend not to take prisoners lately.

Still I find that my deep core isn't upset.
To me, it's like a phase that must happen, and the more I keep fighting it, the more I keep shifting the goal post. It feels like there are lessons I need to learn to help me on my journey.

I have become more self-aware.

I was taught not to let it show, not to let it go. Until lately, I used to think of anger as something bad. Until lately, I never quite understood how much the disease of perfectionism had eaten into me.

I get to realise now that it's okay and human to be flawed, especially character wise.
I've been so focused on making myself better for humanity that I forgot to enjoy the process...it became about the end result. Before now, I couldn't tolerate a dent in my spellings, but these days, I make spelling errors and purposely leave them be.

God, I really don't know where to start from, but even in the seeming mire, there's so much to be thankful for really.

So speaking about anger, I was in a bus on my way to work one morning when the vehicle swerved, I guess I must have leaned terribly on the lady beside me before the bus gained balance, she complained.

Shebi the normal thing to have said was "sorry"...that's how I started arguing with her o. I thought she was been unaccomodating, I asked her if it was my fault the bus swerved.....
After the episode, I realized that a simple "sorry" would have prevented all that.‎
I learned courtesy (Public Courtesy and Courtesy to strangers) that morning.

I've not been the same in that regard.‎
I behave in certain ways and there's this look on people's face like. shocked

Your speech about the darkness and darkside resonated. Alot.
Thank You.‎

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 12, 2015
MizMyColi:

Waow!
Waow.

Thank you for this, all you have said is expository.

Lately, I've been dealing with strange anger.
The kind of anger where one reacts in a certain manner and in a flash you're like "why? Why did I just react this way?"

Even on here, it shows, I guess.
I tend not to take prisoners lately.

Still I find that my deep core isn't upset.
To me, it's like a phase that must happen, and the more I keep fighting it, the more I keep shifting the goal post. It feels like there are lessons I need to learn to help me on my journey.

I have become more self-aware.

I was taught not to let it show, not to let it go. Until lately, I used to think of anger as something bad. Until lately, I never quite understood how much the disease of perfectionism had eaten into me.

I get to realise now that it's okay and human to be flawed, especially character wise.
I've been so focused on making myself better for humanity that I forgot to enjoy the process...it became about the end result. Before now, I couldn't tolerate a dent in my spellings, but these days, I make spelling errors and purposely leave them be.

God, I really don't know where to start from, but even in the seeming mire, there's so much to be thankful for really.

So speaking about anger, I was in a bus on my way to work one morning when the vehicle swerved, I guess I must have leaned terribly on the lady beside me before the bus gained balance, she complained.

Shebi the normal thing to have said was "sorry"...that's how I started arguing with her o. I thought she was been unaccomodating, I asked her if it was my fault the bus swerved.....
After the episode, I realized that a simple "sorry" would have prevented all that.‎
I learned courtesy (Public Courtesy and Courtesy to strangers) that morning.

I've not been the same in that regard.‎
I behave in certain ways and there's this look on people's face like. shocked

Your speech about the darkness and darkside resonated. Alot.
Thank You.‎

I love what you have shared with us here. Thank you. kiss

It does seem like you have figured out the next step. smileysmiley

Sweetie, don't try to be perfect, you were created in God's image, you are perfect.
To be yourself and to enjoy it is much more interesting than to try to be someone or something else.

I always feel bored around people who try to fit in or try to live up to some standards everyone agrees on. I prefer authentic people who dare to be different by being themselves. smiley I love it when people express themselves. Anything else is dull.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 10:11pm On Dec 12, 2015
Mindfulness:

I love what you have shared with us here. Thank you. kiss

It does seem like you have figured out the next step. smileysmiley

Sweetie, don't try to be perfect, you were created in God's image, you are perfect.
To be yourself and to enjoy it is much more interesting than to try to be someone or something else.

I always feel bored around people who try to fit in or try to live up to some standards everyone agrees on. I prefer authentic people who dare to be different by being themselves. smiley I love it when people express themselves. Anything else is dull.

Hehehehe
cheesy

Unwittingly dedicating my NL days to politics has changed my life for good, and better.

Thanks for acknowledging my story.
smileysmiley

Actually I stopped sharing personal stuff like this about me on here because I noticed some unscrupulous folks literally sleep on my posts and look for just about anything to throw disses at me in a bid to gag me or frustrate me out of the section. It's a really crazy world there.

But lately, on this thread, I have let the world see my vulnerability and actually shared personal stuff.
For me, it's a plus.

It's a pointer that I'm moving on from that place where fear of whatever keeps me from sharing my joys and pains in manners I feel more comfortable and at home with.

Phew!
Well, I'll just keep on with this life journey...
I believe that in the end, end...it'll all be worth it.‎
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 12, 2015
MizMyColi:

Hehehehe
cheesy

Unwittingly dedicating my NL days to politics has changed my life for good, and better.

Thanks for acknowledging my story.
smileysmiley

Actually I stopped sharing personal stuff like this about me on here because I noticed some unscrupulous folks literally sleep on my posts and look for just about anything to throw disses at me in a bid to gag me or frustrate me out of the section. It's a really crazy world there.

But lately, on this thread, I have let the world see my vulnerability and actually shared personal stuff.
For me, it's a plus.

It's a pointer that I'm moving on from that place where fear of whatever keeps me from sharing my joys and pains in manners I feel more comfortable and at home with.

Phew!
Well, I'll just keep on with this life journey...
I believe that in the end, end...it'll all be worth it.

@bold
It sounds like you need some compensation after death for having lived this life and this sounds pretty much like you are not enjoying yourself.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 10:44pm On Dec 12, 2015
Mindfulness:

@bold
It sounds like you need some compensation after death for having lived this life and this sounds pretty much like you are not enjoying yourself.

Naaaa

I meant that in the context of going through some turmoil, a hard period, a trying one, and then coming out on the other side with this feeling that it was all worth it.
There's no denying that sometimes, we go through painful or uncomfortable moments without realizing the purpose/necessity of such.

On the other hand, I believe that our experiences transcend this realm. It's not about heaven or hell.
Life, to me is a continuum. I believe‎ there's an other side, and our experiences here shape what becomes of us in the next realm/life untill we come full circle.

My motivation has nothing to do with rewardswinkwinkwink

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 12, 2015
MizMyColi:

Naaaa

I meant that in the context of going through some turmoil, a hard period, a trying one, and then coming out on the other side with this feeling that it was all worth it.
There's no denying that sometimes, we go through painful or uncomfortable moments without realizing the purpose/necessity of such.

On the other hand, I believe that our experiences transcend this realm. It's not about heaven or hell.
Life, to me is a continuum. I believe‎ there's an other side, and our experiences here shape what becomes of us in the next realm/life untill we come full circle.

My motivation and nothing to do with rewardswinkwink;

Beautiful. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 13, 2015
@MizMyColi Before embracing Eckhart Tolle's teachings, consider this :

http://www.gotquestions.org/new-earth-Eckhart-Tolle-Oprah.html
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 10:26am On Dec 13, 2015
krusdamax:
@MizMyColi Before embracing Eckhart Tolle's teachings, consider this :

http://www.gotquestions.org/new-earth-Eckhart-Tolle-Oprah.html

MuttleyLaff:

Issorite. Eckhart Tolle, yeah? Eckhart Tolle, another Oprah's favourites, like TD Jakes?

The fact & truth is, Eckhart Tolle is like toying with a loaded arm pointed to the head
In a safe hand, no problem, if the safe hand has sense enough not to pull the trigger whilst arm is pointed to head.

Eckhart Tolle is slick as they come, as he uses all the right words,
and whatever right words he doesnt want to use, he gives the excuse that the word has become ''empty of meaning'' or has been misused.

MizMyColi, to the trained eye, Eckhart Tolle would be an Eve Déjà vu
- sorry for the ''trained eye''-''Eve Déjà'' vu'' pun there,
- couldnt resist not seizing the chance to use it

Nothing personal but at the end of the day, Eckhart Tolle is no better than or different to the average Pastorpreneurs

The pseudo truth in ''The Power of Now?'' is like a few pearls mixed in with a lot of worthless faux pearls.
It has lots of New Age etcetera stuff in it that if you'll be eating it you'll have to be prepared for spitting out the throat prickly bones in it.

By the way, I found the unconsciousness issue raised by mnwankwo very interesting, he even de-toured a bit into bacteria, LOL
(i.e. he said:
... to "define" what consciousnesses is and ascertain if there are gradations of consciousnesses or if consciousnesses is one and the same)
though you ducked definining your ''different level of consciousness'' response was equally interesting

mnwankwo further went on to state:
''Are all consciousnesses eternal or are there gradations of it that began at point? These questions are important if an inference''

Let me ask both of you what your takes are on consciousnesses in the realm of the dead and land of the living
1) What is consciousnesses in the realm of the dead and in land of the living?
2) Is consciousnesses in the realm of the dead and land of the living criss crossed?
3) Are the dead consciousnesses of happenings in the land of the living and vice versa?
4) Are those in the realm of the dead consciousnesses of happenings in there just as those in the land of the living are consciousnesses of happenings in there surroundings?
5) What is the correlation between unconsciousnesses and ''sleeping'' for the dead or those in the realm of the dead?

Sorry didnt go into the bacteria unconsciousnesses smiley

Mind you, I've read Eckhart Tolle's ''The Power of Now?'' so am able and willing to address any questions on any of the claims in the book

https://www.nairaland.com/2500091/power-now-eckhart-tolle-book/2#37488335
And consider the earlier above on page 2

MizMyColi, though Mindfulness has stepped in on my behalf to respond to the ''anger'' post you submitted
- thanks Mindfulness, you very nearly spoke my mind and all I was planning to write
I still intend to respond to it asap, happens that I've got a lot going on at the moment, so I am managing time and putting things in the priority queue

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 12:51pm On Dec 13, 2015
@Muttleylaff
Is anything wrong with New Age religion?

There seems to be an apathy for new age in Christian circles.

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2015
MizMyColi:
@Muttleylaff
Is anything wrong with New Age religion?
Put it this way, it's like handing a loaded firearm to a non Health and Safety conscious person that's wrong

Another thing is, just as you've showed in some of your posts, this whole thing is about relationships and not religion
New Age religion or movement however doesnt share your sentiments of this
God, to adherent of this movement, among of things, is impersonal.

What do you know of Eckhart Tolle? Care to share (i.e. the good, the bad and the ugly)

Lastly, you should be familiar of this ''grain and straw'' or '''chicken/fish and bone'' message to Eve:
''You surely will not die!''
Is this message, an absolute truth or a pseudo truth statement?

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
"
- Matthew 10:16

Aint that an interesting coincidence of the actor in Genesis 3:4 and Matthew 10:16

MizMyColi:
There seems to be an apathy for new age in Christian circles
Depends on which side of Christian circles you're refering to
Some are ignorant or oblivious of it
Some are subtly practising it
Some are appalled at it
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 13, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Put it this way, it's like handing a loaded firearm to a non Health and Safety conscious person that's wrong

Another thing is, just as you've showed in some of your posts, this whole thing is about relationships and not religion
New Age religion or movement however doesnt share your sentiments of this
God, to adherent of this movement, among of things, is impersonal.

What do you know of Eckhart Tolle? Care to share (i.e. the good, the bad and the ugly)

Lastly, you should be familiar of this ''grain and straw'' or '''chicken/fish and bone'' message to Eve:
''You surely will not die!''
Is this meesage, an absolute truth or a pseudo truth statement?

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

- Matthew 10:16

Aint that an interesting coincidence of the actor in Genesis 3:4 and Matthew 10:16

Depends on which side of Christian circles you're refering to
Some are ignorant or oblivious of it
Some are subtly practising it
Some are appalled at it

@bold

This is rubbish. I am sorry.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 4:11pm On Dec 13, 2015
Mindfulness:
@bold

This is rubbish. I am sorry
No need to be apologetic over an opinion
The rubbish bit is even worse when it's like innocently, playing Russian Roulette with it,
and worst without knowing which chamber has the fatal bullet in it
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 13, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
No need to be apologetic over an opinion
The rubbish bit is even worse when it's like innocently, playing Russian Roulette with it,
and worst without knowing which chamber has the fatal bullet in it

Yeah, I will soon play Russian Roulette with Eckhart's book by throwing it at someone's head. cheesy

Very dangerous, I tell ya. grin
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 3:23pm On Jan 19, 2016
Meditation helps develop a calm, clear, well-trained, self-observant mind. The Buddha accurately claimed that this is the basis for insightful decision-making and action. Where we differ from the Buddha is in the purposes for which we now use it.

Nowadays we use meditation for relaxation and sleep; for stress, anxiety and health; for thought-control and emotional restraint; for concentration and decision-making; for self-knowledge and body-awareness; for sports performance and achieving goals; for aesthetic pleasure, philosophic understanding and much more. A calm, clear, well-focused mind is useful for virtually anything we do. Most Westerners who meditate even within a Buddhist context are likely to do so for these non-Buddhist reasons.

Buddhism deserves respect as a religion and it has given its meditation practices to the world. Other than that, its moral credentials are average. Its indifference to charitable works makes it less compassionate than Christianity or even Western governments. Its psychology is antagonistic to the individual. Its reliance on karma, reincarnation and a duality of body and mind make it quite unscientific. I am grateful to Buddhism for its meditation practices but I am happy to leave the rest behind.

http://www.perthmeditationcentre.com.au/articles/buddhist.htm
cc: Akathriel cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

61st RCCG Annual Convention Theme: Jesus / We Are All Aborisha / Is It Wise To Split Tithe Between Different Churches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.