Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,950 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal (14599 Views)

Why Do People Deny Power Of God? / The Power Of Choice / Eckhart Tolle Spiritual Healing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by malvisguy212: 8:51am On Jan 23, 2016
nynbrada:

Just a point of correction.
Yu said the early christians and apostles never called themselves christians.

Well i actually think that the reverse might be the case. As we can see from the following verse of scripture.

1 Peter 4:16 - Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on his behalf.
KJV

I've been enjoying your post though.

God bless.
1 Peter 4:16, "Yet if any man suffer AS a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify
God on this behalf."

there is something you don't understand here. First, this is the ONLY place in scripture the word "christian" were use by a man of God, Secondly, Peter did not label the followers of Christ a "Christian" The word "AS"means
"like or similar to," but it does not
mean one is that word. For example:

Genesis 49:9, "...he couched AS a lion," does not mean Judah was a lion when he couched!

Exodus 15:5, "...they sank into the bottom as a stone," does not mean they were a stone when they sank.
MuttleyLaff:
Madam I've responded back twice
(i.e. via Nairaland and also directly straight to your mail address)
Shalom
Good morning my friend. Long time
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MuttleyLaff: 9:10am On Jan 23, 2016
malvisguy212:
1 Peter 4:16, "Yet if any man suffer AS a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify
God on this behalf."

there is something you don't understand here.
First, this is the ONLY place in scripture the word "christian" were use by a man of God,
Secondly, Peter did not label the followers of Christ a "Christian"
The word "AS" means "like or similar to," but it does not mean one is that word. For example:

Genesis 49:9, "...he couched AS a lion," does not mean Judah was a lion when he couched!

Exodus 15:5, "...they sank into the bottom as a stone," does not mean they were a stone when they sank.
Word up my brother,
No diggity, no doubt, you hit the nail on the head with the first, second and that pièce de résistance explanation. Thanks!

malvisguy212:
Good morning my friend. Long time
My dear brother, forgive me for not hailing you earlier and/or sooner
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by malvisguy212: 9:16am On Jan 23, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Word up my brother,
No diggity, no doubt, you hit the nail on the head with the first, second and that pièce de résistance explanation. Thanks!

My dear brother, forgive me for not hailing you earlier and/or sooner
it is well, I learn a lot in your post too. Thank you.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 10:16am On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:
Sis, you should listen to The Wise Heart by Jack Kornfield (youtube). smiley kiss I am looking forward to your response. cheesy

MizMyColi, where are you?

Darrrlinggsmiley
I'm herekiss

I didn't see this earliersmiley
I'm looking it up right awaysmileysmiley
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

Darrrlinggsmiley
I'm herekiss

I didn't see this earliersmiley
I'll looking it up right awaysmileysmiley

Enjoy it! kiss
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 11:12am On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

Enjoy it! kiss

Hehehe
My bandwith will bleedgrin
I tried getting the e-book.
No luck per se.
smiley

So I settled with quotes from the book

You hold in your hand an invitation: to remember the transforming power of forgiveness and loving kindness. To remember that no matter where you are and what you face, within your heart peace is possible.

The words above gave me the kind of relaxation I'd sought for in 30 minutes of meditation earlier today.

Thank yousmiley
Back to reading
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 11:30am On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

Hehehe
My bandwith will bleedgrin
I tried getting the e-book.
No luck per se.
smiley

So I settled with quotes from the book

The words above gave me the kind of relaxation I'd sought for in 30 minutes of meditation earlier today.

Thank yousmiley
Back to reading

I call it perfect timing! cheesy

I am sure you will love it if you get it. There is so much YOU in this book. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 12:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

I am sure you will love it if you get it. There is so much YOU in this book. cheesy

interestingsmiley
I can download at the office shagrin

I'd really appreciate if you'll please remind me to do so, come mondaysmiley
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

interestingsmiley
I can download at the office shagrin

I'd really appreciate if you'll please remind me to do so, come mondaysmiley

I will. kiss kiss

I really recommend that you listen to / read the book instead of the quotes because it is more beautiful as a whole and because I know that you will enjoy it a lot and for selfish reasons (of course) so that we have new stuff to talk about my sister. cheesy cheesy

Have a lovely Saturday dear!

[size=3pt]I am going for lunch and then on a shopping spree in a few minutes.[/size]

cheesy
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 1:29pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

I will. kiss kiss

I really recommend that you listen to / read the book instead of the quotes because it is more beautiful as a whole and because I know that you will enjoy it a lot and for selfish reasons (of course) so that we have new stuff to talk about my sister. cheesy cheesy

Have a lovely Saturday dear!

[size=3pt]I am going for lunch and then on a shopping spree in a few minutes.[/size]

cheesy

cheesy grin grin cheesy
Don't I just love the energy you're exuding right now smiley smiley smiley

[size=3pt]I certainly don't mind tagging along....if I were physically within reach
grin[/size]
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 1:35pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

Meanwhile Sis, is it normal to so miss someone you Love to an extent it kinda hurts....not hurt in a bad negative way o grin
Just that feeling of...something's missing....especially when they're genuinely crazy busy kinda.

I can't help but laugh at myself right now.
I thought I'd gone past the stage of "missing"
grin grin grin grin grin grin

cheesy
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

[font=Georgia] cheesy grin grin cheesy
Don't I just love the energy you're exuding right now smiley smiley smiley

I love it too. cheesy cheesy wink kiss

[size=3pt]We would have a lot of fun. [/size]
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

Meanwhile Sis, is it normal to so miss someone you Love to an extent it kinda hurts....not hurt in a bad negative way o grin
Just that feeling of...something's missing....especially when they're genuinely crazy busy kinda.

I can't help but laugh at myself right now.
I thought I'd gone past the stage of "missing"
grin grin grin grin grin grin

cheesy

Yeah, it is pretty normal. Most people feel like you at some point in their lives.

Is it ok for you to feel like this or do you desire to change it?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 6:20pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

Yeah, it is pretty normal. Most people feel like you at some point in their lives.

Is it ok for you to feel like this or do you desire to change it?

lol
Y'know most times when we overly miss those we love, it's actually actually part of us signalling us to get busy.

My friend would always say that there is neither good nor bad, and that darkness is a lower vibration of light.

I'm not "missing"‎ anymore cheesy

But, I think there's a lesson I'm supposed to learn.
Yeah, everytime we go through unpleasant experience, if we'd be more focused on the positive "why" than‎ the negative "why me"...we'd understand and react better.‎

My spiritual journey has been and is still teaching me what it means to die to self daily, to the ego....
Especially in my close/intimate relationships.

For some reason, most of us, prior to witnessing change in our lives are never true to ourselves when it comes to our intimate relationships.

You're missing your guy/girl, you know you're doing so badly....but for some egotistic reason, no one wants to reach out first...

The thought process be like
"I don't want him to start feeling like I love him/her too much - etc"

Lol

If anything, I learned today that it's human to miss and be missed. I learned it's human to show our vulnerability to those who really care about us.
I learned to "miss" without attaching labels and letting negativity breed.

It's funny though, cos as I write, I'm now the one being "missed"...
I had to take excuse myself to attend to stuff.

Well, there are better days ahead for every true and sincere heart, and I believe that it can only get better for us all.

Ultimately, only winning is allowedsmileysmileysmileysmiley
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 6:25pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

I love it too. cheesy cheesy wink kiss

[size=3pt]We would have a lot of fun. [/size]

grin grin grin grin
Oh wellcheesy

Impossible is nothing.

It'd be nice to take a stroll with the Angel being behind this handle someday.
smiley
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

lol
Y'know most times when we overly miss those we love, it's actually actually part of us signalling us to get busy.

My friend would always say that there is neither good nor bad, and that darkness is a lower vibration of light.

I'm not "missing"‎ anymore cheesy

But, I think there's a lesson I'm supposed to learn.
Yeah, everytime we go through unpleasant experience, if we'd be more focused on the positive "why" than‎ the negative "why me"...we'd understand and react better.‎

My spiritual journey has been and is still teaching me what it means to die to self daily, to the ego....
Especially in my close/intimate relationships.

For some reason, most of us, prior to witnessing change in our lives are never true to ourselves when it comes to our intimate relationships.

You're missing your guy/girl, you know you're doing so badly....but for some egotistic reason, no one wants to reach out first...

The thought process be like
"I don't want him to start feeling like I love him/her too much - etc"

Lol

If anything, I learned today that it's human to miss and be missed. I learned it's human to show our vulnerability to those who really care about us.
I learned to "miss" without attaching labels and letting negativity breed.

It's funny though, cos as I write, I'm now the one being "missed"...
I had to take excuse myself to attend to stuff.

Well, there are better days ahead for every true and sincere heart, and I believe that it can only get better for us all.

Ultimately, only winning is allowedsmileysmileysmileysmiley

You can't love anyone too much, you can only need people too much. wink
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

grin grin grin grin
Oh wellcheesy

Impossible is nothing.

It'd be nice to take a stroll with the Angel being behind this handle someday.
smiley

All is possible. Be ready. wink

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 6:42pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

You can't love anyone too much, you can only need people too much. wink

Yeah, true that.

Needing people too much is actually a call to a pain or dysfunctionality within that needs to be addressed.

We tend to make it about the person, but usually it's about us.

Mindfulness:

All is possible. Be ready. wink

Okay nagrin
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

Yeah, true that.

Needing people too much is actually a call to a pain or dysfunctionality within that needs to be addressed.

We tend to make it about the person, but usually it's about us.

Okay nagrin

So love them too much and don't need them at all. wink
How? By being full of yourself and by celebrating each moment as if it is your last. kiss
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 7:31pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mindfulness:

So love them too much and don't need them at all. wink
How? By being full of yourself and by celebrating each moment as if it is your last. kiss

True thatsmiley

We won't rule out the human factor though.
I think we need people to survive, and we form a level of attachment to those who reflect most of the love we receive.

Being full of ourselves while loving our partners, without needing them sounds a tad......

smileywink
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 23, 2016
MizMyColi:

True thatsmiley

We won't rule out the human factor though.
I think we need people to survive, and we form a level of attachment to those who reflect most of the love we receive.

Being full of ourselves while loving our partners, without needing them sounds a tad......

smileywink

Do you need romantic relationships to survive?
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 7:24am On Jan 24, 2016
Mindfulness:

Do you need romantic relationships to survive?

Good Morning Sissmiley

Certainly notsmiley
But we do need relationships to survive.

A romantic relationship is one of the many kinds of relationships out therewink

For some, such relationship might be what they need to move on to better stages in their life's journey, among other things.

They aren't totally unconnected.
smiley

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 10:52am On Jan 24, 2016
MizMyColi:

Good Morning Sissmiley

Certainly notsmiley
But we do need relationships to survive.

A romantic relationship is one of the many kinds of relationships out therewink

For some, such relationship might be what they need to move on to better stages in their life's journey, among other things.

They aren't totally unconnected.
smiley

Happy Sunday! kiss

The irony in all of it is that people believe that they need a person / relationship to move on to a better stage in their life but once they have this relationship with this person, they don't feel better sustainably and then they blame the other one for their feeling of dissatisfaction even though they were feeling dissatisfaction long before they even met their significant other. grin

A relationship started from a place of emotional neediness will not and cannot develop into a relationship of emotional abundance.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by lexaydfg(m): 3:01pm On Jan 24, 2016
Just downloaded the book, i will be back to ask questions.

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by lexaydfg(m): 3:12pm On Jan 24, 2016
An inspiring thread, with alot of intelligent post. Just download the ebook, i will be back to ask questions.
Shalom
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 4:50pm On Jan 24, 2016
Mindfulness:

Happy Sunday! kiss

The irony in all of it is that people believe that they need a person / relationship to move on to a better stage in their life but once they have this relationship with this person, they don't feel better sustainably and then they blame the other one for their feeling of dissatisfaction even though they were feeling dissatisfaction long before they even met their significant other. grin

A relationship started from a place of emotional neediness will not and cannot develop into a relationship of emotional abundance.
kisskisskiss

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 7:11pm On Jan 25, 2016
Mindfulness Dear
Good Evening. I trust that your day is/went well?
smiley

I have decided not to frown over my not being able to download the book/audio.

The internet at the office was messy today.

I would prefer getting the ebook.
And I've been looking for how to get it FOC grin No Luck cheesycheesy

For some reason, I'm always told I can't use my debit card to purchase stuff online lately.

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 25, 2016
MizMyColi:
Mindfulness Dear
Good Evening. I trust that your day is/went well?
smiley

It has been wonderful. cheesy

I have decided not to frown over my not being able to download the book/audio.

Very good decision. wink

The internet at the office was messy today.

I would prefer getting the ebook.
And I've been looking for how to get it FOC grin No Luck cheesycheesy

For some reason, I'm always told I can't use my debit card to purchase stuff online lately.

Don't worry, you will soon open a thread on which we will discuss the content of the ebook. cheesy cool smiley wink

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 7:51pm On Jan 25, 2016
Mindfulness:

It has been wonderful. cheesy

Very good decision. wink

Don't worry, you will soon open a thread on which we will discuss the content of the ebook. cheesy cool smiley wink

grin grin grin grin
Looking forward to thatsmiley

1 Like

Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by MizMyColi(f): 7:53pm On Jan 25, 2016
lexaydfg:
An inspiring thread, with alot of intelligent post. Just download the ebook, i will be back to ask questions.
Shalom
smiley smiley smiley
Welcomesmiley
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by nynbrada: 8:00pm On Jan 25, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Yes, I posted that early christians and apostles never called themselves christians
and you ought to have known better not to use 1 Peter 4:16 for shoring your stance

You may think you're right, but you arent
as for this issue, 1 Peter 4:16 doesnt give a leg to stand on

yu are utterly wrong here @ bolded. For the fact that we don't have a copius useage of the term in the bible doesn't mean the early early believers never subscribed to the useage of that name.

Moreso, the singular employment of that name by peter to early believers clearly disproves your claim. As that verse of 1 Peter 4 vs 16 is not a simile but a clear statement of fact. I will deal more on this when i reply malvisguy.

Lets take a trip down memory lane,
the word ''Christian'' in Acts 11:26, in 1 Peter 4:16 and in other places, particularly such as in Acts 26:28, is/was not an endearing word
a word given by the Gentile in derision, to the Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers etcetera intended to make them seem of little importance or value

Little poetic licence about going on here,
as I am adding a fictitious detail (i.e. nigger) to 1 Peter 4:16 to make it more interesting
and hoping to make a point, as you give the edited version some serious thought or consideration:

Yet if any man suffer as a nigger, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on his behalf
- 1 Peter 4:16 edited version

Nigger is/was a troublesome word, a slur word, a word used to insult etcetera given to Blacks
Blacks never called themselves niggers,
and on a similar vein, the Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers etcetera never called themselves Christians
It was the people at Antioch, out of bewilderment and slighting
who in a contemptuous ridicule and mockery manner, started and/or first called the Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers etcetera called Christians

The Apostles, disciples of Jesus, early believers etcetera suffered as Christians (e.g. ridiculed, fed to the lions, burned at stakes etcetera)
and Blacks had some form of discrimination too and suffered as niggers during/in the Slavery and/or Racial Segregation era

nynbrada, saying if you suffer as a nigger, or as a Christian, isnt calling oneself or anyone else, a nigger or christian

Peter knew early believers are likely to have or be subjected to bad or unpleasant experience by a section of the society that calls and/or called them Christians (i.e. a derogatory term)
so he in effect penned that 1 Peter 4:16 verse, implying ''take it on the chin'' IF YOU SUFFER AS A CHRISTIAN
(e.g. if maltreated as a nigger christian, take it in stride)

People sufffer as niggers, get badly treated as niggers, but they dont necessarily go around and outrightly calling themselves niggers

My brother, this is clearly a false analogy as yu already have a premeditated conclusion that the word 'christain' is a slur word and therefore derogatory.

The problem i tend to have with some Christians is when they come out and make assertive statements on issues in the bible that they do not have cogent evidence to back up their claims.

And yu are found wanton on this unnecessary malady, as there is no shred of evidence from the scripture that the word/term christian is derogative in nature/application.

As a result it will be very wrong for yu to say with any sense of certitude that the word/term in question is derogative to say the least.
So bruh on this one ooh! The ground yu are standing on is a sinking sand. As yu do not have any evidence from the bible to bolster your claim.

I personally think yu pulled this one up from tradition or from badwagon effect. 'cuz some authority have come up wt such claim and yu graciously inclined to dance along without proper personal study/research on the issue.
Now don't blame Catholics for holding on to doctrine/teachings that has been inspired by spurious traditions of men- but lacking in everyway any scriptural foundation.

Moreover the word Christian on its own is not derogatory in anyway, as the little i know of it simply means - Christ one /follower/immitator of Christ /Christ like /little Christ.

From these afforementioned meaning, i do not see anything derogatory in it.
And i'm sure d early believers were not averse 2 subscribe to such appellation, even when it is possible that the non believing Antioch residents used it to spite them for their lifestyle and conduct which was in non conformity with that of the world.
Nonetheless the meaning of the word on itself is not derogatory.

In a nutshell contemptuosly using the word 'christian' does not in anyway change the fact that it means one who belong/ follow /or immitate the person of christ.
- And if that is the root meaning of it, and however it is being used despitefully, i will gladly love to be called by such name/appellation.
Re: The Power Of Now By Eckhart Tolle - Book Club/Spiritual Journal by lexaydfg(m): 8:25pm On Jan 25, 2016
MizMyColi:
smiley smiley smiley Welcomesmiley
Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Matthew Ashimolowo: Take COVID-19 Vaccine, Don’t Join Conspiracy Theorists / 22 Bible Verses About Love Of God / Group Wants CAN To Investigate Stephanie Otobo And Apostle Suleman's Sex Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.