Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title (16994 Views)

Caption This Photo Of Osinbajo, Ambode And Ajimobi / Fashola And Ajimobi Beat Drum As They Laugh Hard In Oyo (Photos) / Malika Haqq And Ajimobi's Photo Got People Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by metronaija: 9:40am On Aug 07, 2015

The Governor of the State of Osun, Mr Rauf Aregbesola as well as Oyo State's, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, have both called for an end to the use of 'His Excellency' and 'Executive' to refer to the president, governors and other public office holders in the country.

This was made known at the opening ceremony of the 45th Builders Conference of the Nigerian Institute of Building (NIOB), held at International Conference Centre, University of Ibadan, on Tuesday.

The governors described the 'His Excellency' affixed to names of public office holders, as an unnecessary ego inflater which transfers “unnecessary extraordinary powers to public office holders.”

Aregbesola was the one who first raised the issue. He said that if such a title should be used at all, it should be to deserving public officials, only after their tenure in office. He also added that the use of 'Executive' to refer to governors was not constitutional and not part of the practice in democratic systems in the world.

He said:

"I do not think it is right to refer to those in government, because they hold governorship or presidential position, as ‘His Excellency’. We copied our democratic system from the West and they hardly use such adjectives to qualify their public officers. I have never seen President of America, Barack Obama referred to as His Excellency on any public occasion.

He is just Mr President and this does not diminish his authority. Neither will you hear the Prime Minister of Britain or President of France referred to as His Excellency. I do not know where we copied this from.

I accept that before independence, we had the British monarchy as our head of government. To that extent we respect the monarch with such praise adjectives, like ‘His Majesty,’ but, royalties are not the same as elected officials.

You don’t have to describe a governor as executive governor. There is nowhere in the constitution, as amended, where the governor is expected to be called executive governor.

By virtue of the fact that we do not operate a parliamentary system, once you are a governor, you are an executive governor. Let us just call our governor, Mr Governor; president, Mr President, that is okay.”

Ajimobi also added:

"Just like we have Oriki, in our Igbo and Yoruba culture, where they continue to flatter, patronise us, it has become a culture in Nigeria that we feel spited if these adjectives are not used to describe us. I would like to henceforth say that I should no more be called His Excellency, call me Abiola Ajimobi.”

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/08/governors-of-osun-and-oyo-states-reject.html

3 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by INTROVERT(f): 9:40am On Aug 07, 2015
call me introvert

24 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 07, 2015
AreGBESE go and pay your workers and quit all this nonsense.Just pay the workers who cares whether you answer excellency or not

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Demmocrats(m): 9:43am On Aug 07, 2015
grin so that's the reason the said governor is doing badly, if removing your excellency will improve him as a governor then oya let's boko haram your excellence let that stay paying salary

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 07, 2015
undecided
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Imortal001: 9:44am On Aug 07, 2015
Okay
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by dunkem21(m): 9:44am On Aug 07, 2015
I agree totally with Aregbe on this ..

It is only fools that calls a Fraudster an Excellency grin

37 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by JewelRegi(f): 9:46am On Aug 07, 2015
welcomed development. By the way wht is so excellent abt dat excellence.

On a new development, today is my birthday ooo. So to celibate with me I need 200 likes. Thanks cool

84 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Mogidi: 9:54am On Aug 07, 2015
Rejecting the title will make Aregbese to pay salaries right?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 07, 2015
This News has Not Reached us in KIVUKi land ..Until then .

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Trailblazer1(m): 9:57am On Aug 07, 2015
what's excellent about Aregbesola undecided

17 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by bewla(m): 9:58am On Aug 07, 2015
i concur
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by OVI75(m): 9:59am On Aug 07, 2015
PROPAGANDER,RAUF GO AND PAY YOUR WORKERS THEIR COMPLETE SALARY.

5 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Tallesty1(m): 10:04am On Aug 07, 2015
INTROVERT:
call me introvert
Time to take a lil rest to refresh your brain.

"In buhari's voice" It is virtually empty

4 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by chris4gold(m): 10:13am On Aug 07, 2015
na wash...
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by tobtap: 10:21am On Aug 07, 2015
#CHANGE grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by BrAkingNews: 10:22am On Aug 07, 2015
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by valandy99(m): 10:22am On Aug 07, 2015
Change is here to stay grin
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 07, 2015
Washing and setting

Na today yansh dey back?
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by NotNairalandi(m): 10:22am On Aug 07, 2015
Whether you call them Uncle Excellency,Brother Excellency,Sister Excellency or Auntie Excellency,it does not stop them from STEALING our money!

1 Like

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Beetroot: 10:22am On Aug 07, 2015
This is not worthy of applause.Get to work both of you.

2 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by sigiyaya(m): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2015
They must be up to something, there state should watch out grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by guntranno(f): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2015
Well, that still doesn't put food on the table of the owed civil servants

3 Likes

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by allanphash7(m): 10:24am On Aug 07, 2015
By doing so will it improve the economy of the land?

Abeg park well 2 of unna joor

1 Like

Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by ITSAWRAPWORLD: 10:24am On Aug 07, 2015
Everyman and woman is an Excellency

Fellow Nairalanders, please check out our incredible offer below
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 07, 2015
That's not the issue now. Excellency or not all we need is delivering government we don't mind calling them god.
Re: Aregbesola And Ajimobi Reject 'His Excellency' Title by chimerase2: 10:24am On Aug 07, 2015
Useless man

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shehu Sani Donates A House To Fityanu Islam First Aid Group(photos) / Sheriff Moves Out Of Wadata House, Congratulates Makarfi / Fulani Herdsmen: Northern Elders Disown Paul Unongo Over Comment On Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.