Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? (43309 Views)

Man Sits At ATM ABU Zaria With POS, Gives Cash To People At Different Charges / Persistent Queue At ATM Points In MOUAU (Photos) / A New Form Of Credit Card For TBC (2) (3) (4)

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by gtim4uall: 11:22am On Aug 08, 2015
distinguished1:
Thought I read a similar thread last month. @OP I hereby charge you for Plagiarism. Moderator you are accused of Gross Negligence.

Boss this is my experience ,,

BTW can you post a link to support your point
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by daresimon(m): 11:23am On Aug 08, 2015
guess its time to wise up now.

and I think Jesus will understand if I don't give money again to people cos I can't stand being outsmarted when all I have in mind is a little spirit of charity.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Oladat(m): 11:32am On Aug 08, 2015
These scammers have made it difficult for people to render help to people who genuinely need help.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by DTOBS(m): 11:34am On Aug 08, 2015
Wahala dey oooooo
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 08, 2015
Tbagjames. Thanks.

Misspicy. Well circumstances beyond their control. Some of us have people to run to in times of difficulties..most of these people have none.

Internetpo. From the look of things...you don't pass as someone in position to help any beggar. Guess your situation is not different from theirs. grin

After all a beggar cannot beg a beggar.
Just like a player cannot hate a player. cool
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by plendil: 11:45am On Aug 08, 2015
alphaconde:
Once a customer played this trick for me and my colleagues, but he didn't know I was the atm custodian at that time. I went to the atm to check for his trapped card but couldn't see his card. By the time I came out of the atm room, my colleagues already took pity and gave him some money. As soon as we didn't see the atm card we knew we have been duped.

This happened in conakry Guinea.

But make una de help people, I was once stranded @ awka in anambra state cus atm was saying switch inoperative. A good samiritan helped me and I was goin to enugu.

God no go lemme give 419 money.

Alpha conde

lol! You tend to see many of them at motor parks.

"I'm going to Onitsha (from Enugu), I'm a student and an orhpan, I just need NGN 500 to complete my TF. . ."

But really one has to balance the situation. I've been involved in a similar case where I was stranded and luckily for me a good Samaritan came to my rescue.

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by plendil: 11:47am On Aug 08, 2015
Oladat:
These scammers have made it difficult for people to render help to people who genuinely need help.

unfortunately so.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Omotayor123(f): 11:54am On Aug 08, 2015
Feranchek:

I soooooo much hate it when people call me "yellow" or "brother yellow" e dey pain me die!!!!! Even if I been wan help you before, I go just vex change my mind! angry
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by persius555(m): 12:00pm On Aug 08, 2015
Corporate begging is a sub-sector of the economy. It employs millions of people, young, old and disabled all around the country.

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 08, 2015
now i know their tricks...
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by plendil: 12:07pm On Aug 08, 2015
FannySwindler:
Whether the person is telling the truth or not.... Doesn't count. The fact is the person needs it and needs to get as much as possible they can get.

Just like everyone here . No one gets money from a source and tells himself or herself.. That's enough, I don't need more money.

Just like you and I want more...they also want more.

Begging is not a Scam.

The fact that some may not be saying the truth doesn't make it a Scam. And if you still think not saying truth is a scam ..then probably every one here is a Scammer.
Cos am certain, we all tell Lies. Some even worse that those we all claim to hear at the ATM.

Give if you want to Give....Don't Talk

I dont totally agree here. Like I said in a previous post, I have been stranded at the park, and had to resort to soliciting for financial assistance from fellow passengers. It was the most difficult and degrading moment of my life. embarassed embarassed (Honestly those professional beggars they try o. . .)

So yes, begging itself may not be a scam, but obtaining money through false pretences (I'm a pastor and atm jammed, I'm an orphan, sister is sick, etc) definitely is. Perhaps a more benign form of scamming.

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by dammytosh: 12:09pm On Aug 08, 2015
I have a policy of not giving some one who waited for me at the ATM a dime.

Now I use ATMs that no one can even come near to beg.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Aug 08, 2015
in all i have only given N1000 at the ATM, the last one asked me for 350 unknowing to her that i saw her discussing it with a guy befoe i joined the queu. Nigerians device new ways to swindle people, these people are not poverty stricken looking people though. if i give anyone on the street he has to have a physical disability i know he cant work with (i.e if he has one hand he aint getting a kobo)

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by samsongbemisola(m): 12:11pm On Aug 08, 2015
Someone got to be fully alert @ ATM centre because they re different people with different motives some 419, some armed robbers, beggars etc, I once encounter 419 @ the ATM close to my area, he was just talking top himself about how immigration seize his 15000 dollars, he was saying it so I can hear, after he approached me but I did not give him audience he tried showing me his wallet which contains some dollar notes, still I did not give him audience, am still operating the ATM then he attempted to touch me then I told him in area boys tone that I will expose n call boys to beat him up that does he take me for a maga, instantly he flag up his hands n a bike man that has been parading the centre came n took him away. The bottom line is that whenever u re @ the ATM mind ur business n be mindful of the environment.

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Adesiji77: 12:17pm On Aug 08, 2015
gtim4uall:
could this be a coincidence? or is this a new way of begging?,, has anyone other than myself experience this? Comment or share your experience let's learn____,,,,,
God bless
LalasticaLalastica wink grin

It may be a new style of begging though I have actually helped a number of people at ATM terminals.

Had a similar experience few months ago. While approaching the ATM, a man waved me from the other side of the road near a parked car and greeted me with an unusual enthusiasm. I waved back respectfully but I could not figure out his identity. I simply assumed that he could be one of our customers.

After i had collected the small cash that remained in my account grin he approached me and said "Good afternoon my brother, I need your assistance. I am a pastor and had come all the way from...(an extreme part of the city) but there is no more fuel in my car to get to my next destination. God bless you!" Seems he mumbled something about leaving his debit card at home, but I can't really remember now.

He tried to the use the clergyman appeal to induce me to part with some cash but I diplomatically excused myself and continued my journey wink

On my way back, I still saw this "pastor" standing beside the car and observing the activities around the ATM. You can fill in the gap... lipsrsealed
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by magicminister: 12:21pm On Aug 08, 2015
[size=18pt]My opinion

If you feel touched to help someone, please help them.
If they lied to you, its between them and God

My experience:

In my final year in school, I was going to delta.
When I got to onitsha, I was supposed to withdraw some money to enable me complete my journey.
Well, I used my last cash to get a bike from upper iweka to a bank (dont know the area).

Unfortunately, the bank siezed my atm and I had no kobo left.
It was so embarrassing. I had no choice but to resort to begging.
Who would want to give a young and physically fit man some cash Some people even insulted me.
It was then I realized that begging itself, isn't easy and if someone gathers morale to come beg you for money and you are touched to give, just give them without thinking about how genuine their story is.

Eventually, a bank staff gave me 500 naira. (I spent hrs just to get 500 naira).
[/size]

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 08, 2015
plendil:

lol! You tend to see many of them at motor parks.

"I'm going to Onitsha (from Enugu), I'm a student and an orhpan, I just need NGN 500 to complete my TF. . ."

But really one has to balance the situation. I've been involved in a similar case where I was stranded and luckily for me a good Samaritan came to my rescue.

Was once stranded in PH. Had to beg to get to aba. Was very difficult to convince people. Today, l listen to the tale and sift the scammers from those truly in need of help.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by MrsAnyanwu(f): 12:29pm On Aug 08, 2015
sseunth:
I went to use atm one day, after withdrawing 2k, one girl walked up to me...she said "pls sir, I am going to ijebu ode but I lost my tfare and I need 500 for it to be completed". So I gave her 340 change I had before withdrawing the 2k....so like 1hr later, a friend called me so we decided to hang out sha...so I had to use the atm again cus we going to bar and 2k might nt be enough...I went to the same atm...after withdrawing 3k...this same girl walked up to me gave me the same story...I looked at her face, that was when she remembered me...she said I'm sorry and she left
hahhhhhhaaa, I am sorry
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 08, 2015
Plendil. From your experience ...its possible if you had approach anyone on this thread....majority will tag you as a Scammer or liar. Based on your look or dressing or even the story you tell them. Whereas you really needed the help. But who will believe you.

The difference is that you will beg for just that moment to get what you want and once you get it.. You are done. No more begging. Reason is because probably you were stranded and knowing fully well that when you get to your destination...you have no worries anymore and have people to run to.

But the other begger have so many worries..no where to run to, not sure of next meal. So they need to get as much as they can get from anyone...and the cycle goes on...then you meet them same day same spot..same story or different story.

Judging people based on ordinary perception is most times wrong.

Just like magic minister said...I totally support his ideology. If you have not had reason to beg in public.. You wouldn't know what it's like. Like when you are stranded or starving.

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 1:10pm On Aug 08, 2015
Omotayor123:
Yeah..

There's one woman at first bank Atm in Abeokuta here.

She will be calling on you to give her money after you have withdraw.
I always laugh because she's won't stop calling on you until you give her or walk away.
E.g. Aunty pupa, Brother to wo aso Yellow, Aunty Oloyun etc. grin

Corporate beggars every where..
So, u r in abk.... omo ogun iseya
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2015
I don't really care about their story. As long as you have asked... I will give when am opportuned to do so and as long as am capable of doing so.

Have had a situation where a lady was expecting funds from home at Uni...and had to Starve for a day and second day going. Never knew her from before, but seeing her you will know something was wrong.

All of a sudden she bursted into tears...and on asking what the matter was... She had not eaten the previous day and the next day same thing till that afternoon.
Luckily, I was having enough. Invited her to join us and feel free to request whatever she wanted.
You need to see what she ordered and how she was eating. After the meal.. I requested she followed me home to get something for herself pending when her funds come. Gave her some money and that was it. Nothing in exchange. Never asked to see again. No contact exchange.

Prior to seeing her...She had begged roommates and classmates who couldn't help anymore. And had just finished begging a stranger for #100.

Bottom line... If you can't help someone that begged you for money when you can, No matter their story...How are you going to help those that find it difficult to beg...but in need...when you spot them.
Mind you.. I rarely get help when am in need. But I still help when I can.

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 08, 2015
Oh my God! i alway meet dem but i dnt even tink it to b a scam
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by LordReed(m): 1:35pm On Aug 08, 2015
FannySwindler:
Whether the person is telling the truth or not.... Doesn't count. The fact is the person needs it and needs to get as much as possible they can get.

Just like everyone here . No one gets money from a source and tells himself or herself.. That's enough, I don't need more money.

Just like you and I want more...they also want more.

Begging is not a Scam.

The fact that some may not be saying the truth doesn't make it a Scam. And if you still think not saying truth is a scam ..then probably every one here is a Scammer.
Cos am certain, we all tell Lies. Some even worse that those we all claim to hear at the ATM.

Give if you want to Give....Don't Talk

One day I went to the store I usually buy water from. It costs 400 for the 20L bottle but I only had 300. I brought out my ATM card but their POS machine wasn't working so I went out to try to withdraw from the closest machine but couldn't. I just went back and told the sales lady that the atm machine swallowed my card so she should just accept the 300. She did and I left with my water. A day latter I went back and gave that lady 1k for helping me out.

God help us all.

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by 400billionman: 1:46pm On Aug 08, 2015
All nah format..
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by slimfancier(f): 1:59pm On Aug 08, 2015
Me no dey look face if I go withdraw for ATM o, I see every damn person as a thief grin
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by frankcell(m): 2:12pm On Aug 08, 2015
sseunth:
I went to use atm one day, after withdrawing 2k, one girl walked up to me...she said "pls sir, I am going to ijebu ode but I lost my tfare and I need 500 for it to be completed". So I gave her 340 change I had before withdrawing the 2k....so like 1hr later, a friend called me so we decided to hang out sha...so I had to use the atm again cus we going to bar and 2k might nt be enough...I went to the same atm...after withdrawing 3k...this same girl walked up to me gave me the same story...I looked at her face, that was when she remembered me...she said I'm sorry and she left

You for rush her and collect your 340 naira
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by HonChidon(m): 2:17pm On Aug 08, 2015
I had similar experience here in O town a certain woman ill always stand at d front of any bank she chooses to for dat days begging she will stand with her so called son begging ppl for money to transport she and her son home, i once gave her money out of sympathy d first day i saw her and some days letter i saw her with d same boy in another location wen she walked up to me for money i asked her " are u not d person i gave money at Zenith bank few days back begging for dis same money for transport? Does it mean dat dis is wot u do every evening? I better stop it before i arrest u" And i ave never seen her again.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by idris4eva(m): 2:19pm On Aug 08, 2015
sseunth:
exactly like how it happen to me but these lady own it was a corper that met her @one GTB bank b4 cumin down to SKYE bank and I gave her 5h after she had left th corper now told me that was the same story she told her @gtb....scammers everywhere
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by okewumi: 2:48pm On Aug 08, 2015
Niger no dey carry last now. Come to Artillery, Aba road in port harcourt especially saturday hmm, you will laugh tired grin.
Those scammers are loaded with different tricks. As l came out of fidelity bank, the guy walked to me.
Bros; My ATM card got broken as l inserted to ATM machine and he has to travel to Warri. l just turn to pastor immediately,
told him to postpone the journey. Na today grin grin grin

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by shollymata(m): 2:48pm On Aug 08, 2015
I also had an experience at the ATM 2 weeks ago. Diamond bank ATM beside Germaine to be precise. Before it was my turn to withdraw, I saw this young looking woman, most likely in her mid 30s. The way she stood there beside a bike man, my thought was that she was either waiting her turn or waiting to pay the bike guy. I gently walked up to one of the machines, picked some cash and dashed into Germaine to pick up my car. Just as I was approaching my car after about 30 minutes of engagement in the office, I sighted this woman again and the story began. According to her, she has four children, and her daughter died 2 days ago, she was asked to pay around 17k to bury the girl so the dead daughter is still in her house. I was shocked to say the least. Can this be true? A dead daughter and 3 live children with this woman. I was so shocked I had to ask a few questions
1. Where are the other 3 children? She said she had taken them to another location.
2. Where is your husband? She shrugged and said that was a long story.
3. Don't you have any relatives? She shrugged once more....and acted as if to show me pictures from her phone. I actually told her I was willing to render any physical assistance, if she needed it but she said she would be fine if I could just assist her financially. Anyway, in my mind I just knew I had to help this woman. It is either she has lost her daughter, or she has lost her mind. Either way, she needed help, cos no sane human being will choose such a lie. I gave her what I could and wished her all the best

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by gtim4uall: 3:08pm On Aug 08, 2015
FannySwindler:
I don't really care about their story. As long as you have asked... I will give when am opportuned to do so and as long as am capable of doing so.

Have had a situation where a lady was expecting funds from home at Uni...and had to Starve for a day and second day going. Never knew her from before, but seeing her you will know something was wrong.

Bottom line... If you can't help someone that begged you for money when you can no matter their story...How are you going to help those that find it difficult to beg...but in need...when you spot them.
Mind you.. I rarely get help when am in need. But I still help when I can.

What about ppl like this

HonChidon:
I had similar experience here in O town a certain woman ill always stand at d front of any bank she chooses to for dat days begging she will stand with her so called son begging ppl for money to transport she and her son home, i once gave her money out of sympathy d first day i saw her and some days letter i saw her with d same boy in another location wen she walked up to me for money i asked her " are u not d person i gave money at Zenith bank few days back begging for dis same money for transport? Does it mean dat dis is wot u do every evening? I better stop it before i arrest u" And i ave never seen her again.

I'm not against helping people, I do That when I have the ability,,, but being dubed and giving to a perpetual begger with the same old lies to play on one's emotions,,, i can't support, its not proper esp.among youths haba, ,, let's not b hypocritically hypocritic,,, even when no one is perfect, there are dome kind of imperfections that should be abhorred
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 08, 2015
True! Very true. In some cases if you re alone when they come to beg you, they ll rob you shege shege! Happened to my colleague in Sutton, a gypsy lady came to beg her for train fare while she was withdrawing. She told the lady off and walked away! It was late at night and before you could say "Jack", two lads came out the alley and the lady (beggar) paced up. They held knives to my colleague's throat and took all her money. She reported to the police, but the culprits haven't been found.
BabyDaddy20:
It's not an issue in Nigeria, Abeg,come to U.K, they're all over the ATM begging for cash. They're the gypsies

Britain Bans Binance's UK Operations In Latest Cryptocurrency Crackdown / ECOWAS Adopts ECO As Name Of Single Currency / Bill Gates Celebrates His Dad On Father's Day, Says He's The Real 'Bill Gates'

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72