Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? (43308 Views)

Man Sits At ATM ABU Zaria With POS, Gives Cash To People At Different Charges / Persistent Queue At ATM Points In MOUAU (Photos) / A New Form Of Credit Card For TBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by mistabb(m): 3:20pm On Aug 08, 2015
U can only give wot u av,assumin d moni is nt ur trust cuz hw will u explain to d owner or mayb its ur skul fee in which u want to withdraw and pay will u deduct from it.....and if its God dats ask u nw non of u can give to God willinly.......Na begger win..lobatan
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by awa(m): 3:23pm On Aug 08, 2015
My Brother, I think some people are now abusing other peoples' leniency. I have witnessed something like that. I remember visiting one Zenith Bank near CFC in PH to cash some money one Saturday. As I just drove in and parked, I saw one young lady looking stranded in front of the ATM. I went in and greeted her, then inquired from her if the ATM is dispensing Cash and she said her Card has being trapped. I felt since Zenith Bank is my bank, there is no cause for alarm. I quickly cash my money not knowing that she was watching me. As I was about entering my car to zoom off here comes this pretty lady. She started by complaining not having any cash at home and with her ATM trapped she will starved all weekend. First I was deceived by my perception of her as innocent young lady whose case can be suffered by anyone. She pleaded with me to borrow her 10k which she will repay by the coming Monday. I told her I don't loan cash to people but in circumstance, since she came to me asking for the loan instead of begging me, I will borrow her 5k. I wanted to give that 5k in case she failed to pay back. she went as far as giving me her phone number and mentioned her church which is closed to my office in order to persuade on need to borrow her 10k. Surprisingly till today she has not giving me back the 5k she borrowed from me. I have long deleted her number because she was as truthful as acted.
I wish she is reading this....
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 08, 2015
peterezinw:
Here first

I experienced d same thing but slightly different ...

I was working back the n so my boss asked me to go withdraw some funds for him I siezed the opportunity to withdraw d small cash I had ...as I was leaving d atm a car horn beside me and I thought the guy wanted direction d guy said I shud help him dat he was going to Ibadan to see his wife who had jus given birth that he is out of fuel (dis guy was sweating profusely) he promised to pay back ...i ended up giving him some cash

Bu the annoying part was that I offered him 1k and he said it wudn't be enough dat he needs 5k so i gave him 3k and he collected my account number reach today I never hear from the guy even the number wey him give me no dey go again..

I look back today and I laugh at my foolish gullibility
cry grin
pls tell me is a joke.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by LasoulMacuby(m): 3:32pm On Aug 08, 2015
In Abuja its a daily encounter at my work place along Airport road, when they come that they haven't eaten since d gods know when. all I do is take the person to the nearest eatery.
I no dey ever give them cash
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by osnova(m): 3:42pm On Aug 08, 2015
Returning from main market Onitsha.....one small come yarn me em fucking moonlight tale (already got an experience from that con job)..
I frowned....then yell @ the boy to move before I use slap reset his brain.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by zayhal(f): 3:53pm On Aug 08, 2015
It was an elderly man who approached me, a man probably in his sixties. He said he's an engineer, his daughter was critically ill in the hospital. He lost his wallet or something and he needed money to get her drugs quickly. He held a paper claiming that was the drug prescription and had about N4,000 as the drug total. My colleague gave him N100, he didn't collect it. He repeated that he's not a beggar but an engineer, that it was circumstance that put him in such condition. He even said "you're mothers now, you should be compassionate".

I smiled and offered him N500 which he quickly accepted and left. I then asked my colleague if she noticed that the paper that man was carrying was photocopied which is an indication that it might be a scam. She said why did I give him money after seeing that. Well, he really needed the money, scam or not. It was just his age I pitied.

There is this other young man that was always at Iyana ipaja bus stop few years ago. Always well-dressed and carrying a bag. The story is always the same: he lost his wallet. I'd given him money twice. On the 3rd occasion that he approached me, I gave him a get-out-of-my-sight look and he scrammed. Since then, he stopped coming to me but he was always there none the less. And I wonder at his own stupidity because many others like me would have known him there. Young able-bodied man fa!

2 Likes

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Ladycloud(f): 4:09pm On Aug 08, 2015
mine ain't even atm... there is dis girl prolly in secondary school.. met me and told me to give her money to but sanitary pad coz her mum chased her away.... I gave without hesitation.... some weeks later... I met her in d market... she asked for 200 to add to her money to make her hair...I charitably gave her... den some oda time... met her while walking to my hostel... she cooked up some story... I immediately shut her up and she walked away... only to learn that she even goes to guys lodges.. begging for money.. on the basis that her mum disowned her... mehn... until her mum who was looking for her finally found her...smh
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by dominique(f): 4:13pm On Aug 08, 2015
FannySwindler:
Whether the person is telling the truth or not.... Doesn't count. The fact is the person needs it and needs to get as much as possible they can get.

Just like everyone here . No one gets money from a source and tells himself or herself.. That's enough, I don't need more money.

Just like you and I want more...they also want more.

Begging is not a Scam.

The fact that some may not be saying the truth doesn't make it a Scam. And if you still think not saying truth is a scam ..then probably every one here is a Scammer.
Cos am certain, we all tell Lies. Some even worse that those we all claim to hear at the ATM.

Give if you want to Give....Don't Talk

Your post has given me a new perspective on this sophisticated begging of a thing. I'll just give the little I can and leave God to judge if they're genuine or not. I'm a firm believer of karma, what you do comes back to you whether good or bad.

1 Like

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by internetpo(m): 4:30pm On Aug 08, 2015
FannySwindler:
Tbagjames. Thanks.

Misspicy. Well circumstances beyond their control. Some of us have people to run to in times of difficulties..most of these people have none.

Internetpo. From the look of things...you don't pass as someone in position to help any beggar. Guess your situation is not different from theirs. grin

After all a beggar cannot beg a beggar.
Just like a player cannot hate a player. cool

I understand where you were going with your explanation earlier but you don't have to lie and deceive people before they help you or because you want people to help you use advantage of people's kindness and sympathy. If you need help come out straight. That's all.

I bet you use begging as a career right? cheesy That's why you find nothing wrong in lying or begging. or using it as a career.

Imagine a person begging for T. fare from Ibadan to Lagos. And na every day the person they beg. Arh! arh! Is Lagos that far? You never go come back? Abi na career begger you be?
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2015
Internetpoo. I have no time for your likes. Done that been there before. It can only get Nasty. It doesn't take much for me to flip. Even if am a career beggar, not your business. Will always do better than you look. grin
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 08, 2015
Dominique. That's it. Do the little you can.

1 Like

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 08, 2015
.....Keep it up bruh! Until you give and your manhood disappears!

FannySwindler:
Whether they are real or not. They need the money that's why they are begging. Better to beg than to steal.

It will be awkward if someone walk up to you and say: "Pls give me #500, I need it".. without telling you stories.
So there must always be one story or the other.

Even in advanced countries...people still beg. If you think begging is easy... Try it out someday. Will like to read from you on responses you got while begging.

There is Poverty in the land of Plenty.
Giving is a gift...it can't be acquired. It's inborn.
Beggers will always ask
Givers will never lack.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 08, 2015
Snipes009. You funny. As long as I have. I will continue to give when am opportuned to do so. Nothing can change that.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by OGAMINANA: 4:59pm On Aug 08, 2015
Hmmm lazy guys walking around ATM points. Not a coincidence @ all.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 08, 2015
gtim4uall:
A couple of months ago I went to do withdrawal at the ATM, some folks where there before me so I got it to wait, it was dark around 9 O'Clock. There was a particular man well dressed and looked responsible trying or maybe pretending to do withdrawal with one of machines there, everyone who used the other machines where collecting their cash and leaving but he was still there, all of a sudden he began to shout and randomly pressing the buttons of the machine with a claim that his card has been swallowed,, he became very emotional and disorganized, I walked up to him to play a good Samaritan,, tried to calm him down, tell him what to do when one's card is swallowed by the machine,,, go to your Bank and reapply.

†*** one chance,, "" this man patiently waited for me to take my turn and withdraw my small naira and then approached me that he is a pastor in one of the big ministries ,that His daughter is very ill and he came to get cash to buy her drugs I should help him with #2000 ,, that's a big cash for a student to just give out,,,,,, I managed anyway to give him half of it and another senior man that made a better withdrawal gave him some amount I don't know about,,,, I left and was doing my "in-the-mind" analysis, why was he the only case of such accident,, warever,,,, I swept the thud off to listen to the sound from my tecno ear piece,,,I love it
Now yesterday, I went to a different point to make withdrawal,, one young man was using the machine as I waited, he told me to come and try,the machine has refused to pay him, I went in and without delay I got my Cash, hmmm, this guy turned to me ," Sir ..my daughter (again) is ill and needs blood transfusion, since I can't withdraw can you please help me with just #2,000 ,, God will bless you " unfortunately this time it wasn't my cash, I had no option than tell him I don't have the amount, and that the cash I just withdrew was not mine , but he still insist I give him and that he came from a nearby state,, so I brought my mind back to the first encounter , both came to get money for drugs for their sick daughters,,,, could this be a coincidence? or is this a new way of begging?,, has anyone other than myself experience this? Comment or share your experience let's learn____,,,,,

God bless

LalasticaLalastica wink grin

It's like you live in Port Harcourt. This exact thing happened to me. The first time it happened, this guy was even crying tears that he worked with Timariv (our own Lastma) and just closed worm with no money to care for his daughter in the hospital. What made me remember him was the bad look he gave me when I only gave him half of what he asked me.

Lo and behold, this guy was passing the front of my house like 6 months later and started with the same story. As soon as he started, I helped him finish the story and reminded him that we'd met before. He just walked off without saying another word..
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2015
I have never given to roadside beggars, no matter what scenario they paint. I don't even be listening to them nowadays. I no dey bat an eye! So how do I help out or am I that callous and mean? Nah. Every month, and every now and then, I visit orphanages to donate material things as well as monetary too, and I make sure to ask my doctor friend who and who needs a surgery or treatment at his hospital (UCH) but can't afford. So I pay for that. That's my own way of giving and making an impact on people. My religion frowns at begging so much. But well, keep on giving your own way....Just be watchful too. Cos this 9ja bad o....No be even manhood alone, some would give and immediately lose their senses and the next thing, they find themselves in ritualists' den.....Lolzzzz

FannySwindler:
Snipes009. You funny. As long as I have. I will continue to give when am opportuned to do so. Nothing can change that.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 08, 2015
gtim4uall. The fact that someone had given her doesn't mean, all their needs are sorted. So seeing the person again on same spot next day with same story or different story explains the fact that they are still in need. They need more just like you and I need more money.

People don't like the truth. If they genuinely asked with genuine reason...probably no one responds. But when they lie just like we all lie...then people may tend to believe.
The message is:

I don't give because I believe the story or judge story or looks. I give because I want to give. That's why I careless about the stories.

What matters most is someone is in need. Someone has asked. Do I want to give?

1 Like

Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 08, 2015
Snipes009. I quite understand you. Because I give freewill...such things will be far from me.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 08, 2015
They are everywhere, no doubt.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by distinguished1(m): 5:16pm On Aug 08, 2015
gtim4uall:
Boss this is my experience ,,
BTW can you post a link to support your point
New Method Of Scamming, DO Not Fall Victim!!! by iphanyiuma ( m): 12:02pm On Jul 30 I have been ill for some days so I needed to go the hospital. I decided to use the never failing access bank ATM machine before leaving for the hospital, I got there and saw a matured man of about 40 at the extreme looking confused. I was done with my withdrawal and was about leaving when he called me to assist him get his card that it got stuck inside the machine I tried but could not get it out and he said he called on security but they told him they were closed until Monday, well I have done what I could and was already on my way when he called me back to assist him with 10 litres of fuel or cash, knowing that I have money on me, he was showing me his car that it was running on empty and he has no airtime even showed me his bank statement that he has more than 300,000 but just need to buy fuel and was going to pay me back.... i just told him the money I came to withdraw was for my treatment he said he was sorry and left......about a week later my friend came around asking me for cash and said he gave his last card 1500 naira to a man @ the atm gallery....and narrated a similar story, he said the man promised to pay him double the next day but he didn't get nothing from anybody....that was how he lost 1500 naira to a scammer... so people just be aware and alert it's good to help people but help with your sense and don't fall prey to fakers!. ( Quote ) ( Report) 122 Likes ( Like ) 14 Shares ( Share)
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 08, 2015
Amen...

FannySwindler:
Snipes009. I quite understand you. Because I give freewill...such things will be far from me.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 08, 2015
Snipes009. Thanks.

Just like distinguished1 has stated. Be Alert, Help with sense.

Use your discretion. Stay Safe.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Twill92: 6:48pm On Aug 08, 2015
This so called "beggars" do position themselves esp across atm machines... if you can take a few mins survey before you withdraw, you'l find out that they actually stood there watching... had 3diff people walk up to me in 2weeks at the same atm point... smart dude always win....lol
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by urchbarbie(f): 6:59pm On Aug 08, 2015
people aint trust worthy at all. it happened to me when I went to buy stuffs in shoprite. wanted to use my card but d pos want working. the lady at my back offered to pay and I gladly accepted. on getting to d atm outside shoprite, I found out d card I came out with had zilch. Sweat cover my brows. I had to plead with d lady and gave her all d change in my purse promising to send her recharge card to complete d money. immediately I got home I sent her d airtime and she was glad telling me she had already forgotten abt d money unto ppl not being trustworthy. Life is too short to live such dubious lifestyles. it doesn't pay in d end.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Missbizy(f): 7:06pm On Aug 08, 2015
I had an encounter wt one at first bank UI emmm I think year 2010, he walked up to me after I finished withdrawing from d atm he said his a PG student that he is goin to lautech in Ogbomoso dt he needed just 200 naira to complete his Tfare, ds guy was so well dressed that you wil nt even notice anytin and he spoke good English, so I gave him since it was just a little token.
The following year I met ds guy again at dt same spot though I did nt recognise him buh he told me d same tin he said d previous year that he was goin to lautech and bla bla, I didn't give him cause I was tryin to figure up where I heard dos words from and wen he knew dt av recognise him he disappeared immediately.
I wish to see him again so that I can give him the embarrassment of his life and also ask him if the Tfare to ogbomoso neva complete since 2010
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by gtim4uall: 7:07pm On Aug 08, 2015
distinguished1:

New Method Of Scamming, DO Not Fall Victim!!!
by iphanyiuma ( m): 12:02pm On Jul 30
I have been ill for some days so I needed to go
the hospital. I decided to use the never failing
access bank ATM machine before leaving for the
hospital, I got there and saw a matured man of
about 40 at the extreme looking confused.
I was done with my withdrawal and was about
leaving when he called me to assist him get his
card that it got stuck inside the machine I tried
but could not get it out and he said he called on
security but they told him they were closed until
Monday, well I have done what I could and was
already on my way when he called me back to
assist him with 10 litres of fuel or cash, knowing
that I have money on me, he was showing me his
car that it was running on empty and he has no
airtime even showed me his bank statement that
he has more than 300,000 but just need to buy
fuel and was going to pay me back....
i just told him the money I came to withdraw was
for my treatment he said he was sorry and
left......about a week later my friend came around
asking me for cash and said he gave his last card
1500 naira to a man @ the atm gallery....and
narrated a similar story, he said the man
promised to pay him double the next day but he
didn't get nothing from anybody....that was how
he lost 1500 naira to a scammer...
so people just be aware and alert it's good to
help people but help with your sense and don't
fall prey to fakers!.
( Quote ) ( Report) 122 Likes ( Like ) 14 Shares
( Share)

Good work, ,,,,but u should note that nobody has monopoly of experience,,, and as a fact, I never come across this,,, all the same we all have lessons to learn at the end,,, ,,
Right now I am struggling with my project review, its so Hectic,,,

No time, tk k
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by gtim4uall: 7:18pm On Aug 08, 2015
FannySwindler:
gtim4uall. The fact that someone had given her doesn't mean, all their needs are sorted. So seeing the person again on same spot next day with same story or different story explains the fact that they are still in need. They need more just like you and I need more money.

People don't like the truth. If they genuinely asked with genuine reason...probably no one responds. But when they lie just like we all lie...then people may tend to believe.
The message is:

I don't give because I believe the story or judge story or looks. I give because I want to give. That's why I careless about the stories.

What matters most is someone is in need. Someone has asked. Do I want to give?

What happen to getting a job even if it's security or learning a trade or any affordable and fast selling skills, is that not a better way to go about solving one's need?
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Abbey2sam(m): 7:30pm On Aug 08, 2015
FannySwindler:
I don't really care about their story. As long as you have asked... I will give when am opportuned to do so and as long as am capable of doing so.

Have had a situation where a lady was expecting funds from home at Uni...and had to Starve for a day and second day going. Never knew her from before, but seeing her you will know something was wrong.

All of a sudden she bursted into tears...and on asking what the matter was... She had not eaten the previous day and the next day same thing till that afternoon.
Luckily, I was having enough. Invited her to join us and feel free to request whatever she wanted.
You need to see what she ordered and how she was eating. After the meal.. I requested she followed me home to get something for herself pending when her funds come. Gave her some money and that was it. Nothing in exchange. Never asked to see again. No contact exchange.

Prior to seeing her...She had begged roommates and classmates who couldn't help anymore. And had just finished begging a stranger for #100.

Bottom line... If you can't help someone that begged you for money when you can no matter their story...How are you going to help those that find it difficult to beg...but in need...when you spot them.
Mind you.. I rarely get help when am in need. But I still help when I can.

You just gave me another reason to keep giving
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by distinguished1(m): 7:36pm On Aug 08, 2015
gtim4uall:

Good work, ,,,,but u should note that nobody has monopoly of experience,,, and as a fact, I never come across this,,, all the same we all have lessons to learn at the end,,, ,,
Right now I am struggling with my project review, its so Hectic,,,

No time, tk k
All the best. Make sure you get your supervisor to be impressed over your work.
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Abbey2sam(m): 7:38pm On Aug 08, 2015
shollymata:
I also had an experience at the ATM 2 weeks ago. Diamond bank ATM beside Germaine to be precise. Before it was my turn to withdraw, I saw this young looking woman, most likely in her mid 30s. The way she stood there beside a bike man, my thought was that she was either waiting her turn or waiting to pay the bike guy. I gently walked up to one of the machines, picked some cash and dashed into Germaine to pick up my car. Just as I was approaching my car after about 30 minutes of engagement in the office, I sighted this woman again and the story began. According to her, she has four children, and her daughter died 2 days ago, she was asked to pay around 17k to bury the girl so the dead daughter is still in her house. I was shocked to say the least. Can this be true? A dead daughter and 3 live children with this woman. I was so shocked I had to ask a few questions
1. Where are the other 3 children? She said she had taken them to another location.
2. Where is your husband? She shrugged and said that was a long story.
3. Don't you have any relatives? She shrugged once more....and acted as if to show me pictures from her phone. I actually told her I was willing to render any physical assistance, if she needed it but she said she would be fine if I could just assist her financially. Anyway, in my mind I just knew I had to help this woman. It is either she has lost her daughter, or she has lost her mind. Either way, she needed help, cos no sane human being will choose such a lie. I gave her what I could and wished her all the best

God bless you bro,

People forget the fact that very hard to approach people and beg them.....
For someone to beg you, pls if you can help
Help them

There's a real story behind their begging
They can't just go into details, thereby cutting the story short
Re: At ATM Points; Is This The New Form Of Begging? by Abbey2sam(m): 7:43pm On Aug 08, 2015
LasoulMacuby:
In Abuja its a daily encounter at my work place along Airport road, when they come that they haven't eaten since d gods know when. all I do is take the person to the nearest eatery.
I no dey ever give them cash

At least you helped in your own way

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Britain Bans Binance's UK Operations In Latest Cryptocurrency Crackdown / ECOWAS Adopts ECO As Name Of Single Currency / Bill Gates Celebrates His Dad On Father's Day, Says He's The Real 'Bill Gates'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.