Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,617 members, 7,816,539 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Why You Support The Football Club You Do? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Why You Support The Football Club You Do? (5088 Views)

Football Club With Most Supporters On Nairaland / Which football club and player do you hate most? / Which Football Club Are You Crazy About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tkb417(m): 6:48pm On Mar 25, 2009
1.) Calm down dear!  

If you must know, I started supporting Chelsea in 1996. Before that, my team was Ajax. I shall tell you the reason later.  

story!!! tell us the reason now and dont go fabricating stories grin

(2.) If you weren't a Man Utd fan in 1994, what is the reason for hating Barca?
hold it bros!! i dunno about u but i can remember when i was a kid and our TV was black and white
whenever a game comes up on tv, my team for that day would be the team in white or the team with the jersey that is almost white grin
My choices then were not only arbitrary but irrational cos i usually support a losing side hoping for a comeback.

The reason why the damman miracle is still my most memorable match to date grin

as for UTD, like i said, UTD has always been the song in my hood and household but this fanatism hasnt started not till 1994.
The UCL match came on air and i saw my UTD against a star studded european team and the feeling was " how on earth can a team be beaten this way"
I wouldnt say the total support came after the bashing but the sympathy i had for the lil boiz that played Barca on that day + my household love for the city and club tweaked my love for the club.

I can remember the telematch days also where the losing team will always be my preference hoping they'll bouce back to topple the leading team.

However, those early pains were later to become the joy of today. You can name it, the EPL, the UCL, The FA, the world club cup and so on have all made my choice the lasting choice.

In essence, my choise for UTD wasnt as a result of glory hunting which may be hard to believe cos i never supported UTd cos of local feats but the heavy beating in the hands of Barca.

Funny enough, the first Man Utd match I saw was 1-0 Charity shield against Liverpool (I cant remember who won) in 1992. I was in holiday in UK at the time. Despite my connections to the UK, I could never bring myself to support an English team until I actually moved here full time. Like every reasonable Nigerian, I was too busy watching Serie A and German League to busy myself with English teams, unlike johnny-just-come wey dey claim 1994
now u see, i once felt like football begins and end with Milan but now i know better
UTD defines the way soccer should be played!!

and lest i forget, the charlatans are those who claim to love a club whose games they'll never see
i love UTD and i see the games every godamm day.
i dont follow footie on goal.com just like our self proclaimed lord of european footie whose penchant for faslehood on this blog knows no limit.

i cant shout
UTD all the way!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 7:37pm On Mar 25, 2009
tkb417:

story!!! tell us the reason now and dont go fabricating stories grin

I have told the story many times. I was converted in the womb and born with a Chelsea logo on my chest just like Mohammed's aposthetic story.  cool

Seriously though, I came to UK in 1996. When I got here, boys in school kept disturbing me as to which team I support but I always told em Ajax and Inter. As I started watching Prem, I could relate with Zola, Vialli, Gullit et al cos I had seen countless Serie A games in Nigeria. So, I was moving toward Chelsea. What tipped the scale was one day in February or March 1997 when Liverpool were playing Chelsea at Anfield. Pool were leading 2-0 at half time but Chelsea came back to win 4-2. It was the most entertaining game that season. That summer Di Matteo rocketed a goal past Boro in 40 seconds to secure the FA Cup. Babayaro also joined in summer 1997 and the deal was sealed. I can tell you about all the players we had back then from the obscure ones like Bernard Lambourde, Andy Myers, Eddie Newton, Michael Duberry, Frank Sinclair, the Georgian substitute keeper (I've forgotten his name momentarily). I remember coming home from church one Sunday to find Man Utd trouncing Chelsea 5-0 at half-time in FA Cup and my eyes were welling with tears listening to the radio in the car. The match eventually finished 5-3. I believe this was 1997/1998 or 1998/1999 season.

Coincidentally, my grandfather was a Chelsea fan and so is my uncle. They are from Kingston in Surrey/West London. However, this did not influence my decision to follow Chelsea at all.

Now if I ask you non-googleable questions about Man Utd in the late 90's, would you be able to answer?

Black and White TV in 1994 indeed!

tkb417:

i dont follow footie on goal.com just like our self proclaimed lord of european footie whose penchant for faslehood on this blog knows no limit.

Shut it hombre!!! If you like believe, if you like no believe. Wetin bala me?
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by eyonigger(m): 7:43pm On Mar 25, 2009
I am supporting FC Barcelona based on the kind of person I am.
1: I support Barca because they play beautiful football, and thats cos am handsome grin
2: I support Barca because they are heavily envied by the style of their play, thats becoz too many pple seem to envy me
3: I support Barca cos every star player wants to come to the club to play, thats cos every gurl love to come into my life
4: I support Barca cos they have played most great players in the world, and thats cos I have bleeped so many beautiful girls in my life.
5: I support Barca becoz they have the 3 greatest forward in the world, and thats coz I got me, my mum and my dad, we are the best.

Man, Oh my, im crazy.!!!
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Mar 25, 2009
@
Ibime,
I can see blue blood runs in the vein.
Looking foward to hearing from those noise makers in this section.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tkb417(m): 8:46pm On Mar 25, 2009
Shut it hombre!!! If you like believe, if you like no believe. Wetin bala me?
not talking to you idiot. grin
didnt you see the irritant that came into the convo uninvited grin

Now if I ask you non-googleable questions about Man Utd in the late 90's, would you be able to answer?
100% grin

Black and White TV in 1994 indeed!
do u read with ur head upside down?
by ur posts, ill assume ure brilliant but stop being a poof grin

hold it bros!! i dunno about u but i can remember when i was a kid and our TV was black and white
when i was growing up, i can remember vividly a black and white tv with wooden panels and stands grin grin grin grin
[i]u want me to upload pics of those years with the tv at the background? hehehehe[/i]we only support the characters/teams by either choosing the team in white or black

u sef choose to believe or sharrap. why i dey explain sef grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 8:56pm On Mar 25, 2009
tkb417:

100% grin

It will take me 10 weeks to find some non-googlable questions. Be patient! Lemme dig into my memory vault. My memory is photographic, but I wanna make sure the questions are waterproof. I know you will be consulting Sharon on YIM to help you out so I need to pose questions not just for you, but for him as well.  grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tkb417(m): 9:01pm On Mar 25, 2009
It will take me 10 weeks to find some non-googlable questions. Be patient! Lemme dig into my memory vault. My memory is photographic, but I wanna make sure the questions are waterproof.

ehn ehn. you want to ask me questions SAF cannot remember shey?

research for 1 week if u like, the only thing is you sef will give me 1 week to come back with the answers grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Cristalz(f): 9:50pm On Mar 25, 2009
@BlueDiva

Your grammatical errors are still famous here dearie.  .  .we ignore doesn't mean we don't notice grin I'm a Devil 'cos Lucifer has an awesome singing voice grin grin

@Ibime

First, one never observes clearly when one is biased. Pointing out that error was ''condescending''? Proving 'agidi' with ''it's''? Dude, can't believe you either. Shez a fellow fan yeah, but no need to wrongly exaggerate things 'cos of that.

Second, I meant while we were on the comma subject, as in, correction issue.  .  .never said a comma was supposed to be between 'it' and 's'. Look before you leap. Thought you woulda learned that from BlueDiva grin
She corrected me, and I returned the favor. My bad if I was wrong, but. . .gotta keep the forum ''educative'' cheesy

Third, get thy mind outta the gutter. No attraction here in the sense you mean, not sorry to disappoint grin

Fourth, could we please remain on topic?
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 25, 2009
Madam grammar,

I taught English in 1901. wink

Anyways, the only person i'm yet to see with a flaw is:
Debosky,
Ibime,
Sauron (rare typo)

Y'all are as guilty as sin tongue
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by A40(m): 10:15pm On Mar 25, 2009
Moyola:

Errm. . . . tongue cool
Errm . . . What? Don't trip your spellings and lingo crack me up tongue tongue grin grin.Are you Welsh?

Everyone seems to be going retro on NL lately
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Cristalz(f): 10:22pm On Mar 25, 2009
@BlueDiva
They edit before you see, dear grin grin

BlueDiva:

Madam grammar,

I taught English in 1901.  wink

Anyways, the only person i'm yet to see with a flaw is:
Debosky,
Ibime,
Sauron (rare typo)

Y'all are as guilty as sin  tongue

And, just for the hell of it.  .  .

''Anyways, the only person[b]s[/b]( or people) I'm yet to see with flaws are: '' (You've got 3 people on your flawless list so it's plural).

Pardon me.  .  .just couldn't resist grin grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by MrCrackles(m): 10:24pm On Mar 25, 2009
Cristalz:

@BlueDiva
They edit before you see dear grin grin
And, just for the hell of it. . .

''Anyways, the only person[b]s[/b]( or people) I'm yet to see with flaws are: ''

Pardon me. . .just couldn't resist grin grin

Lolz!
grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Moyola(f): 10:28pm On Mar 25, 2009
A-40:

Errm . . . What? Don't trip your spellings and lingo crack me up tongue tongue grin grin.Are you Welsh?

Everyone seems to be going retro on NL lately

Ain trippin'!
Ain Welsh!
Ain errone! tongue
Nywayz. . .in woheva way i spell woheva, az long az yu kan read it. . .noin spoil! cool
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by mukina2: 10:30pm On Mar 25, 2009
Criz and Diva grin grin grin grin grin grin

Please lets back to topic

you people wont kill[b]ed [/b] me cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Cristalz(f): 10:35pm On Mar 25, 2009
Sorry mod.  .  .I'm in a good mood grin

Reasons for club allegiance.  .  .next!! grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by mukina2: 10:37pm On Mar 25, 2009
Tell me why you support the devils grin

I know you have a devilish streak in you sha grin

Please do not say grandpa grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 25, 2009
Time to end this grammar thingy. cheesy
I meant to name only Debosky, therefore the use of person (singular)
Decided to add others and forgot to change person to plural form.

Heck !!!,
I'm an African,
English ain't my mother tongue. tongue
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Cristalz(f): 10:45pm On Mar 25, 2009
mukina2:

Tell me why you support the devils grin

I know you have a devilish streak in you sha grin

Please do not say grandpa grin

No, grandma cheesy grin

@BlueDiva

Ain't my mother tongue either, girl grin Grammar biz dropped.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by mukina2: 10:48pm On Mar 25, 2009
Diva tongue
you added Ibime so he would defend you again next time grin cheesy grin

Oya e don do grin grin

ladies be serious . . chei!1 this pass pay per view grin grin

Criz
your grandma? grin u dey lie
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by doyin13(m): 10:56pm On Mar 25, 2009
@Ibime

So it is late 90's you started following Chelsea. . . . . Bloody Caralho

It only confirms my suspicions this place is full of neophytes. .

Imagine. . .Lambourde and Duberry is as far back as your memory goes.

Hmmm. . .I am sure you can remember that FA Cup Final though. That one where
Kharine ate four goals. grin grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Sauron1: 11:14pm On Mar 25, 2009
Ibime is a socio-pathic liar. . . . .
He joined Chelsea during the Roman Revolution. . . .and thatz 2003.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by A40(m): 12:34am On Mar 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

Ibime is a socio-pathic liar. . . . .
He joined Chelsea during the Roman Revolution. . . .and thatz 2003.

Most of them flip the script and tell you they joined when Babayaro came to Chelsea

Moyola:

Ain trippin'!
Ain Welsh!
Ain errone! tongue
Nywayz. . .in woheva way i spell woheva, az long az yu kan read it. . .noin spoil! cool
I hope you don't sound in anyway like you write no pun intended cool
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by dayokanu(m): 5:52am On Mar 26, 2009
and lest i forget, the charlatans are those who claim to love a club whose games they'll never see

Since you didnt see the EPL and Man Utd games till recently maybe late 90's then we can assume that you started supporting Man Utd games in the late 1990's
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tocdee(m): 8:56am On Mar 26, 2009
I sat down to watch AC Milan take on Liverpool in the UCL final in Instanbul, 2005. I didn't give a crap about Liverpool then. At the end though, I arose from my sofa the most passionate Liverpool supporter in this country!
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 11:15am On Mar 26, 2009
@ Doyin,

Were you supporting Portsmouth in Division 3? Thanks for reminding me about Dmitry Kharine. Receive my handshake. I wasn't a Chelsea fan in 1994 so the 4-0 defeat to Man Utd didn't hurt my feelings at all.

@ Crizzle,

Dont take it serious!   cool

@ Sharon, A-40

May Amadioha strike you down!

@ tkb,

Im just playing. No questions for you.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Cristalz(f): 11:31am On Mar 26, 2009
@Ibime

Likewise wink grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tkb417(m): 1:51pm On Mar 26, 2009
Since you didnt see the EPL and Man Utd games till recently maybe late 90's then we can assume that you started supporting Man Utd games in the late 1990's
The game against Barca wasnt EPL game, and 1994 isnt late 90s if u forgot ur brains in the refrigerator.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Mustay(m): 2:07pm On Mar 26, 2009
@ topic I support Chelsea simply because of one guy - babayaro!!!

I loved him at Atlanta '96 and I just had to stick with him. However, he left during JM's era and then when I thought of following him to 'castle (nonsense tongue), Drogba became my favourite. So like Beyonce says, he's IRreplaceable. grin grin

So averagely the era was '98. and not forgetting Mustapha Hadji for coventry then! wink

Right now, I support chelsea because

because

because

because

errrmmmm

because

because

because

[size=28pt]
BLUE IS TRUE
[/size] cool cool cool cool grin grin grin grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 3:50pm On Mar 26, 2009
Mustay:

@ topic I support Chelsea simply because of one guy - babayaro!!!

I loved him at Atlanta '96 and I just had to stick with him. However, he left during JM's era and then when I thought of following him to 'castle (nonsense tongue), Drogba became my favourite. So like Beyonce says, he's IRreplaceable. grin grin

So averagely the era was '98. and not forgetting Mustapha Hadji for coventry then! wink

Babayaro came to Chelsea in 1997, Drogba joined in 2004. I read somewhere else where you said Drogba informed your decision to support Chelsea. Stop trying to stretch back the dates. You cannot tell me it took you 7 years to convince yourself to become a fully-fledged Chelsea fan. Yes, Babayaro was at Chelsea and yes, you followed him from a distance, just like I followed Kanu when he was at Arsenal. However, the truth is that you became a Chelsea fan in 2004. Whats all this prevarication?
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tkb417(m): 4:50pm On Mar 26, 2009
Babayaro came to Chelsea in 1997, Drogba joined in 2004. I read somewhere else where you said Drogba informed your decision to support Chelsea. Stop trying to stretch back the dates. You cannot tell me it took you 7 years to convince yourself to become a fully-fledged Chelsea fan. Yes, Babayaro was at Chelsea and yes, you followed him from a distance, just like I followed Kanu when he was at Arsenal. However, the truth is that you became a Chelsea fan in 2004. Whats all this prevarication?

hehehehe
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Mustay(m): 4:59pm On Mar 26, 2009
na u sabi.

you are not MUSTAY so stop writing like I am a JM maniac.

in fact, i woulda loved Ranieri to stay a little longer.

I ain't crazy about all these "na me be number one fan" or "na me sabi dem pass" kinda ishes, after all, i got my own career too na angry

whether date na 94 or 2099, that one no dey bring money into my pocket.

Confirm your wrongful 'accusations' by reading my earliest posts on Nairaland (BB not DD).
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 5:20pm On Mar 26, 2009
Mustay:

na u sabi.

you are not MUSTAY so stop writing like I am a JM maniac.

in fact, i woulda loved Ranieri to stay a little longer.

I ain't crazy about all these "na me be number one fan" or "na me sabi dem pass" kinda ishes, after all, i got my own career too na angry

whether date na 94 or 2099, that one no dey bring money into my pocket.

Confirm your wrongful 'accusations' by reading my earliest posts on Nairaland (BB not DD).

hehehehehehe. . . . . no need to fight. . . . na you talk am for that your blog that you were "finally converted" when DD joined despite 'leaning' toward Chelsea for some time. . . 7 years is a long time to 'lean' hombre. . . if you leaned any longer, you would have become the leaning tower of Pisa  grin. . . . . no Chelsea fan would be talking about moving to Newcastle with Babayaro. . . . .Babayaro was a non-entity at Chelsea. . . most Nigerians who chose Chelsea thanks to Babayaro developed a preference for Graeme Le-Saux after a couple of years. . . Baba simply became an afterthought, just like Mikel is an afterthought now. . . . A true Chelsea fan wouldn't be talking about Mustapha Hadji either. . . .my assertion is that you were simply aware of the EPL due to Baba and Hadji's stint in England, but you were no Chelsea fan. . . .  thats like me saying I am a Nantes fan because I used to follow SiaSia's progress with Nantes in the early 90's. . . . it's utter codswallop!. . .  . . . but then again, I am not MUSTAY!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD: Barcelona Vs Real Madrid 5-1 2018/19 Laliga Highlights / League Cup: Chelsea Vs Newcastle [3 - 4] On 22nd Sept 2010 / UCL: Olympiakos V Arsenal (2 - 1) On 4th December 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.