Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,600 members, 7,816,492 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Why You Support The Football Club You Do? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Why You Support The Football Club You Do? (5087 Views)

Football Club With Most Supporters On Nairaland / Which football club and player do you hate most? / Which Football Club Are You Crazy About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 26, 2009
Nobody joined because of Zola? cheesy
Anyways, whatever reason,
As long as you're True to Blue. . .then you're a True Blue cool
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by mukina2: 5:33pm On Mar 26, 2009
Ibime you are a bully tongue
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 6:56pm On Mar 26, 2009
mukina2:

Ibime you are a bully tongue

Why na?. . . . . Mustay is a sound guy. . . . .

With the exception of Arsenal fans of 1998 vintage, there is a strong possibility that any Naija-based person claiming to have supported an English club pre-DSTV is telling porkies and must be queried. . . . we couldn't even get EPL games on Satellite in Naija. . . . and I am not talking cable, I am talking satellite dish!. . . . EPL teams were nothing but notches on continental teams' bedposts during the nineties. . . hence any Naija man that claims they started supporting English teams from viewing UCL matches is most likely telling porkies as well (****cough, cough, tkb  grin) . . . Dayokanu can testify. . . .
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tkb417(m): 7:15pm On Mar 26, 2009
Why na?. . . . . Mustay is a sound guy. . . . .

With the exception of Arsenal fans of 1998 vintage, there is a strong possibility that any Naija-based person claiming to have supported an English club pre-DSTV is telling porkies and must be queried. . . . we couldn't even get EPL games on Satellite in Naija. . . . and I am not talking cable, I am talking satellite dish!. . . . EPL teams were nothing but notches on continental teams' bedposts during the nineties. . . hence any Naija man that claims they started supporting English teams from viewing UCL matches is most likely telling porkies as well (****cough, cough, tkb ) . . . Dayokanu can testify.
bastard grin grin grin grin
im a soccer fan from day 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i started supporting UTD 1994m u started supporting Chelsea 1996 ?
so tell me how urs is diff from mine.

Ol'boi e be like say u think say na only u live for obodo oyinbo abi grin
go siddon for ur cubicle grin
olodo rabata

Dayo no sabi anything aprt from telematch and football made in germany by Dudu orumen. tongue
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by DrKitaun(m): 7:22pm On Mar 26, 2009
@Ibime

speak for urself . . .

some of us had wealthy enuff parents . . .dont try to decode that cos I never said my pops is/was wealthy cool

but then I started supported Arsenal without having to view so much of matches . . .howzthat ?

almost everybody in my set way back 1990/1991 had a club in Europe, we had a guy then in Mayflower that was nicknamed ARSENAL and he was a good player and the name suit a lot of us so we decided following results on the back pages of Sunday Times, Concord, Tribune, Sketch and Punch (best believe they werent even the leading news daily then). I had a couple of friends that were doing the local baba ijebu on em clubs them . . .
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by DrFerlie(m): 7:37pm On Mar 26, 2009
Chelsea because of Jose's success shocked shocked
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Cristalz(f): 7:41pm On Mar 26, 2009
Aw, Ferlie, you're a Chav? sad
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tkb417(m): 7:46pm On Mar 26, 2009
Ibime

speak for urself . . .

some of us had wealthy enuff parents . . .dont try to decode that cos I never said my pops is/was wealthy

but then I started supported Arsenal without having to view so much of matches . . .howzthat ?

almost everybody in my set way back 1990/1991 had a club in Europe, we had a guy then in Mayflower that was nicknamed ARSENAL and he was a good player and the name suit a lot of us so we decided following results on the back pages of Sunday Times, Concord, Tribune, Sketch and Punch (best believe they werent even the leading news daily then). I had a couple of friends that were doing the local baba ijebu on em clubs them . . .

did you attend Matflower?

ollll booooiii
u be correct person o grin Did you meet any of them Awolowos in ur set?

Dont mind Ibime
the guy think say na only am don live for london b4

Ibime
na my papa get national stadium grin grin grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by DrKitaun(m): 7:57pm On Mar 26, 2009
@TKB

2 of the Awolowo bois Yinka and the younger one is it Bimbo or what again is that his name jare . . . .were my school sons wink same dom . . .my mum once worked with their Grandfather, their Aunty Dosunmu dey quite close politically with my family so relationship dey before Mayfie levels . . .

as dem senior dem dey report to me regularly anytime provisions don land for dem grin grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Mar 26, 2009
If politics don't have permanent friends,
While should footy  grin
People can support a club for whatever reason.

I remember when i first wore a custom jersey in 2000 to Naija,
People gaped. Somebody asked me if 'Lily' ( a woman) played for CFC.
Just to show that the awareness was'nt there yet.
Now a gonner can name the full chelsea squad.

EPL followership became popular in 'bout 2000
My point is no crime in being a glory hunter. tongue
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by dmxqo(m): 9:41pm On Mar 26, 2009
I respect united cuz they worth it. Bt i love LFC cuz they have been involve in so many fan related disasters, kind of compensation!
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 10:00pm On Mar 26, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

@Ibime

speak for urself . . .

some of us had wealthy enuff parents . . .dont try to decode that cos I never said my pops is/was wealthy  cool

Are you trying to say that you are an Arsenal fan from 1991?  grin  Nama shobiri!

My point is that whether you had money or not, there was no way to watch EPL matches cos even those large rotating satellite dishes would not give you EPL matches. I know cos we used to tap satellite from our wealthy neighbour. . .

I remember we used to play paper and pen football in school. . . . everybody pick your team, then we play World Cup. . . . .I don't remember anyone picking an English club sha except some guys who picked Everton cos of Daniel Amokachi. . . . . back then, guys would pick Ajax, PSG, Bayern, Lazio, Parma, Inter, Juve, Barca, Madrid, Deportivo, even Nantes (cos of SiaSia). No one ever picked an English team.

There are no doubt an outlying minority who followed English football, maybe due to links with England and such, but there was no PRACTICAL way of watching EPL back then, unless you were involved in night travel or teleportation grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by lailai2(m): 12:21am On Mar 27, 2009
i'm barca and the reason is obvious
ecstasy!!!!!!
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by dayokanu(m): 4:33am On Mar 27, 2009
@Ibime,

I go vex oh, Why you wan open my guy yansh for public na?

In 1993 a lot of guys would know more about Torino, Genoa, Napoli and Foggia than about Arsenal and Most English clubs.

English league craze started in the late 1990's from 1998 downwards.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by codedguy1(m): 9:13am On Mar 27, 2009
Ibime is the all knowing and all seeing Homosapien, he can tell when anybody in NL is lying about supporting any club.

i dont blame you, if you said you started supporting Chelsea in 1996, i'll also say YOU ARE A FRIGGING UNREPENTANT LIAR grin grin. You started supporting Chelsea 2005 because of Mumurinho. tongue

Some of us have a bias for the English and have been follwing the EPL as far back as the early 90's, even if na through radio, during the time of allan shearer and chris sutton combo. There are many different reasons why people support diff clubs and at the time they started supporting the team. Most people started supporting teams that had a Nigerian playing for the club. Whoever knew Ajax or even Everton, was it not because of kanu, Finidi and Omokachi and the successes they achieved while playing for those clubs.

If the epl was not so popular in the early 90's or the chaps you played games with did not know any EPL teams to support does not mean nobody knew nothing about the EPL.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tayoccu(m): 10:18am On Mar 27, 2009
bastard Grin Grin Grin Grin
im a soccer fan from day 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i started supporting UTD 1994m u started supporting Chelsea 1996 ?
so tell me how urs is diff from mine.

yeah ryte!!!!!!!!
I bet you became manure when you were just an embryo grin

With the exception of Arsenal fans of 1998 vintage, there is a strong possibility that any Naija-based person claiming to have supported an English club pre-DSTV is telling porkies and must be queried. . . . we couldn't even get EPL games on Satellite in Naija. . . . and I am not talking cable, I am talking satellite dish!. . . . EPL teams were nothing but notches on continental teams' bedposts during the nineties. . . hence any Naija man that claims they started supporting English teams from viewing UCL matches is most likely telling porkies as well (****cough, cough, tkb Grin) . . . Dayokanu can testify. . . .

my dad developed my interest in British( note british) teams arsenal/liverpool/the 2 manchester teams/the 2 dundee teams the b'lose were still in div 2 so they didn't matter, and when i was much younger thanks to complete football and the likes, i followed the progress/history of such teams(eg in the mid 1900's when arsenal whipped shooting silly,and dundee utd wanted to come try their luckscottish champs, ans shooting whipped them that's where dundee=big fool was derived). Arsenal's beautiful brand of football won me over, and that's why I'm a proud goooner.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by doyin13(m): 7:41pm On Mar 27, 2009
make una no mind Ibime. . .the boy na bad belle person.

He lived a sedentary life in Okrika up till 1996 before
like play like play he enter London.

E think say everybody spend their secondary school days
fishing in the creeks.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Sauron1: 7:44pm On Mar 27, 2009
dayokanu:

@Ibime,

I go vex oh, Why you wan open my guy yansh for public na?

In 1993 a lot of guys would know more about Torino, Genoa, Napoli and Foggia than about Arsenal and Most English clubs.

English league craze started in the late 1990's from 1998 downwards.

English league craze started in 1992/3. . . . .
Prior to that, England were banned in Europe cos of the Heysel incident. . . . .
The league itself could not attractive good players and English football had more news about hooliganism than football itself.
After the Premiership was formed with a strong partnership with SKY. . . . .The league blossomed.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 11:04pm On Mar 27, 2009
doyin13:

make una no mind Ibime. . .the boy na bad belle person.

He lived a sedentary life in Okrika up till 1996 before
like play like play he enter London.

E think say everybody spend their secondary school days
fishing in the creeks.

I've always told ju men to stay away from English wey pass their level.

How can a life spent on arduous pursuits such as swimming and fishing be described as sedentary?

BTW, I was the no 1 crab catcher in Borokiri. I taught the boys the art of baiting crab traps with onions instead of yam and yield shot up tenfold. cool
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Cristalz(f): 11:22pm On Mar 27, 2009
grin Clowns.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by doyin13(m): 12:58am On Mar 28, 2009
Ibime:

I've always told ju men to stay away from English wey pass their level.

How can a life spent on arduous pursuits such as swimming and fishing be described as sedentary?

BTW, I was the no 1 crab catcher in Borokiri. I taught the boys the art of baiting crab traps with onions instead of yam and yield shot up tenfold. cool

hehehe. . .i was even doing u a favour.

Don't blame me. . . .I have been so ''occidentalised'' grin grin
I associate fishing with sitting down and proper fishing gear.

I have now replaced the picture with a teenager, hair uncombed,
sparsely clothed in hole riddled[i] kpata[/i] underwear swimming through oil
polluted brackish water
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by AjanleKoko: 8:33am On Mar 28, 2009
Well, I support Barca right now. Joined their fan base in 2004.
Prior to that, I supported Juve all through the 90s, firstly because of Baggio (92), then later Alex Del Piero, Zindane, and Fab Ravenelli. Back then I was more into following players rather than clubs. As a teen in the 80s I followed Platini and Van Basten. There was good coverage of the Serie A on NTA 10 and 5 back then, and also we had a lot of sports magazine programs, like Henry Nzekew's program and Dudu Orumeh's Best of Football. Then also we used to support heavily with radio (BBC World Service's Sports Roundup, every 45 minutes of the hour), so we were fairly up to date, even though we didn't get to see too many games live.
Barcelona caught my fancy in the 90s, due to their unbranded shirt primarily (it still remains my primary attraction till date), but that 4-0 thumping in '94 by the Rosineri did not help their case at all. The coming of Rijkaard and the beautiful-game boys like Ronaldinho actually aided my conversion in 04.
Well, this year I actually got a chance to meet the guys in person, as well as visit the Camp Nou, as part of an official trip to Barcelona in February. I came away with an autographed ball and signed jerseys. i think those guys are exponents of the beautiful game, even if they don't always win. And you can even see it in Spain's game.
Me I no dey follow English premiership because of my total dislike for the overly dramatic and totally useless English National Side!
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by DrKitaun(m): 7:43pm On Mar 29, 2009
@Ibime

are u shitting urself ?

Topeorekoy has been supporting Arsenal since 1990

Loyika has been supporting Arsenal since 1989

my father had been supporting Leeds since late 50's before he switced over few years to Manure

my brother who has been domiciled in UK since '87 though born there had been supporting Manure

and I now tell u that what I was basically doing was following results on the pages of newspapers and u feel that amounts to what ?

abeg atune urself to proper reasoning . . .

FYI I could give you up to 20 names of people fom way back that supported Arsenal the way I did . . .

TV Viewership is not the only known wy of monitoring sporting activities dude ! Its just the [b]CLOSER FEEL [/b]thingy cool
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by dayokanu(m): 8:00pm On Mar 29, 2009
TV Viewership is not the only known wy of monitoring sporting activities dude ! Its just the CLOSER FEEL thingy
This reply suits the quote below by TKB who started supporting Man Utd when He was able to watch them on TV

and lest i forget, the charlatans are those who claim to love a club whose games they'll never see
i love UTD and i see the games every godamm day
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by eldee(m): 9:18pm On Mar 29, 2009
@topic
Funny enough, I joined Arsenal only to prove that I was a non-conformist
My dad and my cousins were Chelsea fans . . . infact my first football kit was Autoglass
We'll go and holidays in the UK and my dad will practically instruct me to wear that rag . . .

How did I follow Arsenal then?? There was this popular magazine then . . . World Soccer, they had results and team sheets of all the leagues in the last ten pages. . . My dad had a subscription, so I used to follow Arsenal there, only time I saw matches were the holidays.

Though the main reason was so I could get the teamlist for my table soccer team(Buttons from our shirts and 'biro covers') grin grin
We'd draw team formations on our tables from the teamlists and play our own versions of the Champion's League
Arsenal always won of course grin grin
I beat everyone in Lawson's Primary 6 cheesy

Those were the days . . . I even remember when Miss Lawson(Now Iyalode of Egbaland) caught us, we were in the uncompleted blocks after school

@dayo
I remember Telematch on OGTV . . . after the Circus, you no even too old sef tongue tongue
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 9:46pm On Mar 29, 2009
eldee:

@topic
Funny enough, I joined Arsenal only to prove that I was a non-conformist
My dad and my cousins were Chelsea fans . . . infact my first football kit was Autoglass
We'll go and holidays in the UK and my dad will practically instruct me to wear that rag . . .

How did I follow Arsenal then?? There was this popular magazine then . . . World Soccer, they had results and team sheets of all the leagues in the last ten pages. . . My dad had a subscription, so I used to follow Arsenal there, only time I saw matches were the holidays.

Though the main reason was so I could get the teamlist for my table soccer team(Buttons from our shirts and 'biro covers') grin grin
We'd draw team formations on our tables from the teamlists and play our own versions of the Champion's League
Arsenal always won of course grin grin
I beat everyone in Lawson's Primary 6 cheesy

Chelsea Autoglass kit was 1997 - 1999. How then could you have been an Arsenal fan in primary 6 when you were in primary 6 in 1970?  grin

If you were an Arsenal fan in primary 6, you would NEVER wear a Chelsea shirt in 1997.

Ibime don come again o! Exposing everybody nyash!  grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by mukina2: 10:19pm On Mar 29, 2009
Ibime quit being a bully tongue tongue tongue

Let people be jo, you are not Sherlock Holmes tongue

i started supporting Arsenal in the early 1970s what does your exposing skills say? tongue
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Cristalz(f): 10:34pm On Mar 29, 2009
@Muki

Ibime won't expose you na. . .if he does DK will be on him like a leech grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by eldee(m): 10:58pm On Mar 29, 2009
Ibime:

Chelsea Autoglass kit was 1997 - 1999. How then could you have been an Arsenal fan in primary 6 when you were in primary 6 in 1970?  grin

If you were an Arsenal fan in primary 6, you would NEVER wear a Chelsea shirt in 1997.

Ibime don come again o! Exposing everybody nyash!  grin
Lol . . . Primary 6 in 1970?? Nah . . . my school didn't even exist then
Anyways, I was in Primary 6 in 1998, got my Autoglass Winter 1997.
I'm a 1998/99 fan, and that wasn't even deep then, cos I saw only about 4 matches a year, before TV Africa and Supersport.
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by dayokanu(m): 2:59am On Mar 30, 2009
@Muki

Ibime won't expose you na. . .if he does DK will be on him like a leech

See as Cristal jumped on Muki just because of Ibime, Crizzle you be real Kolonko. You sef dey trip for fine boy, The Worgliness of Hemp-error don tire you already grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Make Ibime try am first Make I tell the whole world how e dey join Militants kidnap for Creeks grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by tkb417(m): 9:02am On Mar 30, 2009
This is the funniest thread ive seen recently

Dayokanu

If u can read well, you should know i started buying ISR, CFI and CF in 1993. (World Soccer inclusive)
So you stupid talk about supporting clubs on when you see them on TV shows how lopsided you can think atimes

wetin concern agbero with overload. gerraway from here grin

Ibime and Doyin
you guys wan kill me with laffter here.
chei!! crabmaster grin grin grin grin

KIT
You be senior boi oo. Chei!! grin

Eldee
Telematch for OGTV? u don live for Abeks b4?
dat na my territory o years back.

Cristalz
oya tell u when u started supporting UTD
i need to know. i can guess it was Becks looks that 'dragged' you grin
my sis is now a UTD fan cos of CR7. she feels the boi is cool.
i dont think so tho grin

Ibime
ure hereby banned from saying rubbish here
inspector gadget grin
Re: Why You Support The Football Club You Do? by Ibime(m): 10:01am On Mar 30, 2009
@ eldee

Nothing do you mehn. The young shall grow.

@ Muki,

Why you dey pull my bia bia na.  angry Dayo, abeg hold your wife before I go Chris Brown up in here.

@ tkb,

You think say man pikin dey joke with crab catching? Diz why Ijaw people get pissed when others take their way of life for a joke.  cool

@ Muki & Criz,

I am quite interested to know how and why you guys started following football and why you chose the club you did. It is quite unusual to see ladies so passionate about football. I hope you guys are not ajekpako.  grin You guys remind me of my cousin who used to play for Rivers mermaids. Any chick as deep into football as you guys are must fend off allegations of being a tomboy [size=5pt]or even worse.[/size]  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ENGLISH Premier League Statistics For 2012/2013 SEASON / DOWNLOAD: Barcelona Vs Real Madrid 5-1 2018/19 Laliga Highlights / League Cup: Chelsea Vs Newcastle [3 - 4] On 22nd Sept 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.