Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,620 members, 7,770,652 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:32 PM

To Become A Video Editor - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / To Become A Video Editor (12477 Views)

Life As A Video Editor / Do you want to become a video editor??? Its EASY!!! / Talented Music Video Editor Needed (LAGOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Become A Video Editor by kennyuche(m): 2:36pm On Sep 29, 2006
Hi Nairaland users,

If you're familiar with video editing or you're into the business, I need guidelines on what it takes to venture in a video editing business. I need to know the kind of equipments, softwares and skills required to take off.

Please its very important because am carrying out a feasibility study on this project. Thanks
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Seun(m): 8:57pm On Sep 29, 2006
You'll need a powerful personal computer and video editing software at least.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by ogbotobo(m): 12:42am On Oct 01, 2006
You would have to spend around 200.000 Naira to get yourself the right PC with all the right stuff for video editing in it.  A popular editing software like Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus will cost you 25000 Naira. It has a lot of excellent features, including DVD authoring, and it doesn't take much to understand how it works. There are various DVD tutorials available to teach you how to make the most out of it.  If you are interested, I could give you the configurations of the PC I am using, as a guide line as to what to look for should you want to get one for yourself.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by kennyuche(m): 9:26am On Oct 04, 2006
Pls let me kno ur config specification to use in setin up mine.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by crux(m): 6:56pm On Oct 04, 2006
Ogbotobo could you please post the config online? i think i really need that stuff too.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by ogbotobo(m): 10:00pm On Oct 04, 2006
Hi Kenny and Crux,

This is what I bought 9 month ago:

Fujitsu Siemens PC Celsius M440 P4-660 3.6G
Win XP Prof
Intel Pentium 4 (660)/ 3600 MHz
2048 (2x1024) MB RAM
500 (2x250) GB HDD
Double Layer DVD+/-RW
ATI Fire GL V3250/256 MB

My video editing software is Pinnacle Liquid 6 Pro (Pinnacle has been bought out by AVID now)

Whenever I'm in a hurry, I still use Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus, because it so easy to put things together, and I'm used to the various editions from Studio 6 onwards for a long time.

You should realize that when you get into the more sophisticated video editing softwares, it does take quite some time to get to know how it works.

There is no ultimate answer to what to buy, so please see this posting as a mere account of equipment I've been using for some time now and being happy with.

I wish you fun and success with your editing.

1 Like

Re: To Become A Video Editor by kennyuche(m): 7:12am On Oct 05, 2006
Thanx a lot men.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Romulus(m): 1:15pm On Oct 05, 2006
Hey just get yourself a blazing PC, a superbrite crystal clear high-res monitor (prefarably CRT for precision), good eyes and ADOBE PREMIERE PRO 1.5/2.0 which available on the internet (via bit-torrent) for free download (see zoozle.com) so don't spend tah-tah on any video editing software. Liquid Edition is also a good shot but the DON is Premiere!

GOOD LUCK!!!
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: To Become A Video Editor by talk2ahmed(m): 10:45am On Oct 13, 2006
Thats pretty nice, but i think ULEAD Studio, Xilisoft software would be of great help too
Re: To Become A Video Editor by jayvinnie(m): 8:21pm On Oct 13, 2006
great
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Seun(m): 7:33pm On Nov 06, 2006
Windows Movie Maker is the best video editor I've tried so far. It's so easy to use. I intend to use it to edit my commercial project and use VirtualDub to enhance it. For creating VCD/DVD images, I'll use mencoder and Nero!
Re: To Become A Video Editor by williamnow: 3:08am On Nov 11, 2006
ogbotobo plz send me the configuration or any one who has  the pc configuration for video editing.
thanks.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Christino(m): 8:31pm On Nov 17, 2006
Ulead Video Studio is by far the easiest i've used so far, and i'm going to use it to Pull Seun's legs soon, i'm just waiting for the MP3 of the sound track, it's gonna be lots of fun by the time i'm through. grin
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Seun(m): 10:29pm On Nov 18, 2006
What video editor do you know that can work with just 512mb of memory?
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Christino(m): 6:49pm On Nov 19, 2006
512MB of Video, RAM or HDD Memory?

For option 1 - Video, almost any video Editor Software should work with that

but for the HDD? Well, I really doubt, because most graphic software require some great deal of swap memory or paging file and other stuffs on the hard disk, maybe MS Movie Maker wink
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 28, 2006
If you're going to be doing video editing, You need lots of RAM (say, 512MB or more), and you will need a capacitous harddisk. Very. I once worked on a Class album that involved video editing, and i found i was running out of space fast because the video data had to be stored as RAW (uncompressed) AVI. Considering the fact that 50 secs of uncompressed video is like 50MB, you get what i mean. And I had only one 40GB disk.
I had to (unfortunately) use one of the inbuilt codecs for windows, compressing at 80%. I finally scaled down the videos to 25% of their original aspect ratio to hide my "flaws". smiley

And one more thing: you need to backup your data frequently, and you will also need to use a modern, journaling filesystem like EXT3, ReiserFS or NTFS - you will be getting files as large as 4GB (or more , tongue)
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Seun(m): 12:08pm On Nov 28, 2006
When I load Sony Vegas on my system with 512mb of memory, it's sluggish but usable. 1gb would be much better.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Seun(m): 8:05pm On Sep 04, 2008
I ue 2gb and it flies, but i still prefer windows movie maker. I don't know why.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by solarrr: 9:10pm On Sep 04, 2008
hi mr seun are u there? pls reply me now
Re: To Become A Video Editor by crux(m): 9:42am On Sep 05, 2008
i use adobe premire 1.5 with MS movie maker, they are together wonderful, i started with pro show gold, for electroni album i even used it for a year album for a secondary school, but ever since i started using vista, i stopped using it cos it didnt install on my pc, but the two former are too much, those are what i use for my new "WEDDING VIDEO PACKAGE". Want to know what that entails? Call!
Re: To Become A Video Editor by vtuclan(m): 1:29am On Mar 16, 2009
well to tell u the truth u need to have a very good spec.

intel core 2 duo 2.0 ghz
4 gig ram
160 to 500 hhd
ati or nvida hd graphic card

then istall adobe premeire cs4 thats wat i use bought mine is a laptop.toshiba p305-s8825
Re: To Become A Video Editor by sojioguns(m): 9:40am On Mar 16, 2009
Video editing is too wide to give a rounded answer. My first question is: What software do you think you will be comfortable with most? The learning curves are pretty different.
For now, I would suggest just getting a laptop with at least 1GB RAM, fairly decent processor. There is this Dell Inspiron that has 3GB RAM and 250GB Hard drive, core 2 Duo and sells for about 120,000. Get that and you are good to go.
Question number 2: What do you want to edit? TV shows, Documentaries, Movies, Music videos, Events, Commercials, etc. This would also help you choose the right NLE.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by CEDARBIZ(m): 2:25pm On May 14, 2009
Hi All,

You first have to realize that Editing is an Art. Whatever software you use is just to enable you to put you art in a visual form that someone else can see.

I see the system recommendations that were recommended. They are ok is you are editing a Traditional Wedding. If for anything commercial, they are absolutely not acceptable.

If you want to build your own system (probably cos you dont like Dell or HP) then go with the specs below:

Duo Core if going with Intel or AMD with is better with Graphics. You have to at least get something that is 3.7ghz
For system memory, 4gigs
For hard drive, this is your choice, maybe a minimum of 256gb. You might even use external hard drives.
For Video Card, go with NVidea at least 256mb.

I dont recommend building your own system especially in this part of the world because you are probably getting hte parts from computer village and you dont know its compatibility with the next item you are buying. Bus speeds matter a lot when you are talking about PC's. My recommendation for a system is,

If you can afford it, get a Dell Dimension T3400 system or something from HP that is built for Editing. These are not cheap products but then again, media aint meant to be cheap. You get what you pay for. If you get cheap tools, you output cheap content. No going around that.

One major reason why i am advising on OEM machines is because of rendering. If you use this commonly available motherborads "gigabyte etc" they cant handle the rendering requirements of editing video and 9 out 10 times, your audio gets distorted. Most editing you see locally have a better audio on the tape than after recording.

For Editing software, someone said windows media and someone else said Pinnalce studio. Well they are all ok but like i said, what are you editing. Windows media is out of the question because it is purely consumer based (editing birthdays). This is not direct attack to the person that said windows media. This is a professional site and i am just voicing my opinion. Please dont take it personal.

If you want good editing, the good softwares are Avid Media Composer, Final Cut pro, Canopus Edius and then the rest. This listing is based on their market share. They also are not cheap products. Avid is better because most of its stuff can be done real time with no rendering therby saving you a lot of time. Final Cut is ok as well.

For all this, you still have to learn professionally how to edit.

HOpe this helps.

2 Likes

Re: To Become A Video Editor by sojioguns(m): 7:48am On May 15, 2009
@CEDARBIZ,
You are listing really high specs for the editing systems. I also do not agree with your statement that OEM systems are better than customised. Gigabyte boards are actually very very good, as long as they are original.
Psystar, the company that sells Mac clones bases their systems on Gigabyte boards. I have that and a Mac G5 dual 2.7GHz with 4GB RAM and the Psystar is 2X faster.
The issue of distorted audio is not a motherboard thing. For instance Avid does not recommend integrated audio (eg Realtek HD audio) for its products.
I cannot buy another Mac workstation because of price.
As for editing software, Avid is not necessarily better than the others. It is a personal preference thing.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by emmakc(m): 5:22pm On May 16, 2009
Honestly i use pinacle liquid edition, adobe premier and ulead. Pinnacle is expensive, easy to use and very practical. Premier is cheaper, professional, but has many dockers which might confuse a new user. Ulead is like toy to me.
I love pinnacle for its easy to use and edit effects. I prefer premier cuz of its timeline, you can see the audio waves, thus you can avoid jump cuts. But its a personal opinion as you can prove me wrong.
I learnt to use both perfectly durimg my industrial training at NTA ENUGU. Remember pinnacle demands for more space than premier as it saves your work as you edit, no need for Ctrl S
Re: To Become A Video Editor by jagunlabi(m): 2:44pm On Jun 06, 2009
I use Avid Liquid 7.2 which is the last edition.I just want refute the claim that Liquid does not show audio waves on the timeline because it does,even the version you use.You just have to know how and where to switch the feature on.
emmakc:

Honestly i use pinacle liquid edition, adobe premier and ulead. Pinnacle is expensive, easy to use and very practical. Premier is cheaper, professional, but has many dockers which might confuse a new user. Ulead is like toy to me.
I love pinnacle for its easy to use and edit effects. I prefer premier cuz of its timeline, you can see the audio waves, thus you can avoid jump cuts. But its a personal opinion as you can prove me wrong.
I learnt to use both perfectly durimg my industrial training at NTA ENUGU. Remember pinnacle demands for more space than premier as it saves your work as you edit, no need for Ctrl S
Re: To Become A Video Editor by biznessman(m): 7:31pm On Jun 25, 2009
PLS I AM NEW TO ,I WOULD LUV TO GET SOME TANNING (i mean the physical one as in where i can see how it is done)SO IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME I WOULD TRULY BE GLAD I'M WAITING 4 REPLIES
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Pelican(m): 9:06pm On Dec 20, 2010
Gentlemen and ladies in the house, I am about to establish a media production center in Lagos. What advice can you give me in terms of the best equipment I can get for an AUDIO RECORDING STUDIO and a TV STUDIO? All advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I NEED SOMETHING VERY GOOD.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by TWise(m): 11:52pm On Dec 23, 2010
^^^ @ Pelican, I think we can talk. I am involved in transcription services here in Nigeria. You can send a mail to: frankway86@gmail.com
Regards.
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Holumighty(m): 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2011
I have working and affordible capturing devices, for transfering of data from cam, video, cable etc to computer for sale also work for conversion öf VHS to VCD/DVD. Call 08054585038
Re: To Become A Video Editor by Holumighty(m): 11:11pm On Jan 03, 2011
I have working and affordible capturing devices, for transfering of data from cam, video, cable etc to computer for sale also work for conversion öf VHS to VCD/DVD. Call 08054585038

(1) (2) (Reply)

3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling / Classic Graphics Designs || Flyers, Business Card, Labels, And Lots More / Common Graphic Designer Mistakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.