Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,378 members, 7,812,101 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! (62236 Views)

Strictly Discounted Prices On Solar & Power Inverter Materials. / Ask Me Anything On Solar,come In If You Need Solar Panels, / Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by honeycrown(m): 5:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
Thanks for your post, please how many 200watts solar panel will I use to power my 1.5kva luminous inverter of 2 of 12VDC,200AH batteries
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by globatop: 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
Thx, all. I followed this thread all through, do I still need either of PWM or MPPT controller if I don't intend to use solar panels, just inverter and batteries and PHCN to charge batteries.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 6:03pm On Aug 13, 2015
honeycrown:
Thanks for your post, please how many 200watts solar panel will I use to power my 1.5kva luminous inverter of 2 of 12VDC,200AH batteries
That is not a question anyone can answer but you. Go back to the comments that we have made on this thread and you can do the calculation yourself. Why are assuming that they have to be 200 W panels?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 6:04pm On Aug 13, 2015
globatop:
Thx, all. I followed this thread all through, do I still need either of PWM or MPPT controller if I don't intend to use solar panels, just inverter and batteries and PHCN to charge batteries.
You only need a controller if you use panels to charge your batteries. cool

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 6:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
melakes:
thnx for all the info on ds thread OP. low consumers having only a room&parlour with only tv, a small fridge, energy bulbs, & few other low energy consuming tinz. do u think solar is ideal? if yes, plz like hw mch will complete d set up wch shuld last 24hrs.
thnx again.

Solar works for everyone. The smaller you usage the less expensive it is to deploy. My smallest system starts at N800k. I am sure there are others that have lower priced systems
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by acosfd: 7:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
I have a 3kva inverter which working very well before but suddenly started mis behaving. it doesn't change automatically when power is restored, I will have to put off a switch at d rear before power comes into d house. same thing happens wen I want to put on the inverter, it doesn't power the house until I return that switch. will rily appreciate yr advice. thanks

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by kinzodigital: 8:03pm On Aug 13, 2015
[quote author=kinzodigital post=36910598][/quote]
Awaiting your reply,please.Thanks
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Desanta(m): 8:07pm On Aug 13, 2015
Noted. I'm actually in the process of having 24/7 solar power supply. Nice.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by DUNKA(m): 8:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
chris81964:

Dunka The Solar Shop has discontinued them. What would you like to know? I have about 6 of them installed for customers and my own consumption. 4 in Lagos and 2 in Port Harcourt.
Reliability and efficiency. The real practical application and not d hype. Thanks
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 8:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
acosfd:
I have a 3kva inverter which working very well before but suddenly started mis behaving. it doesn't change automatically when power is restored, I will have to put off a switch at d rear before power comes into d house. same thing happens wen I want to put on the inverter, it doesn't power the house until I return that switch. will rily appreciate yr advice. thanks
You need to get the relay changed that is what does the automatic change over. All the best sir
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 8:22pm On Aug 13, 2015
Desanta:
Noted. I'm actually in the process of having 24/7 solar power supply. Nice.
Good move
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Isodunolami: 8:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
Good day, pls I Have 1000wait inverter with four 1500hm batteries pls if I which to use solar panel with it which one will u recommend for me and will I be able to use it for my freezer and other Gajt
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 8:26pm On Aug 13, 2015
melakes:
thnx for all the info on ds thread OP. low consumers having only a room&parlour with only tv, a small fridge, energy bulbs, & few other low energy consuming tinz. do u think solar is ideal? if yes, plz like hw mch will complete d set up wch shuld last 24hrs.
thnx again.
Yes you can power that. There is something for everybody
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 8:29pm On Aug 13, 2015
Isodunolami:
Good day, pls I Have 1000wait inverter with four 1500hm batteries pls if I which to use solar panel with it which one will u recommend for me and will I be able to use it for my freezer and other Gajt
I guess you mean 150Ah batteries.
I won't advice you to use that witth your freezer. U will get the inverter burnt in no time sir.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 8:31pm On Aug 13, 2015
globatop:
You don't need that sir, only applicable tto those using solar or wind energy.

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Isodunolami: 8:32pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

I guess you mean 150Ah batteries.
I won't advice you to use that witth your freezer. U will get the inverter burnt in no time sir.
thanks. Pls advice on what to do
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by coollaw: 8:33pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:
Yeah, it's Geesam again. Here to make sure you are informed.
In business, PARKAGING and SECRECY are very important in EXploiting consumers
You see a lot of solar power offers especially on online store especially the popular ones here in nigeria. Many are just carefully packaged offers that are nothing what they promise. You get them and develop the notion that solar power is not reliable.

Solar power is Expensive ( but still cheaper than generators anyway) so before you pay for any solar generator, solar power installation, or anything related, here are tips to ensure you get value for the good money you are paying.

I deal on the batteries only

Get this right and you will regret wasting money all these years on petrol/diesel generators.

Solar power is reliable, lasts longer than any generator you could ever buy and is a class of it's own.

Solar power is much cheaper than fueling a generator for 10years.

You won't regret investing in one if you get your facts right.

I will answer ANY, I mean ANY question you may have on solar power.

Pls no adverts here and don't ask me for my phone number or mail. Ask your questions here and I will answer here

If you have any challenges or dissatisfaction with your solar power installation, pls bring it here and let me proffer solutions

Thank you.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 8:36pm On Aug 13, 2015
honeycrown:
You are welcome sir.
The number of panels depends on how quickly you want the battery charged and if it is used in the day time. If you use it in the day time you have to factor that in. Typically if it is just to get your batteries charged, 2 panels will more than get the job done.
All the best
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 8:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
Isodunolami:
thanks. Pls advice on what to do
Get a 2000w inverter at least. And ensure you don't load it more than 60% it's rated capacity so it serves you for a long time doing otherwise will get the mosfets hot and burn out in no time. All the best
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Isodunolami: 8:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

Get a 2000w inverter at least. And ensure you don't load it more than 60% it's rated capacity so it serves you for a long time doing otherwise will get the mosfets hot and burn out in no time. All the best
thanks so much sir.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by MyMentor: 8:55pm On Aug 13, 2015
I dn't even understood d battery and panel of a thing.
How many and wot capacity is best?
Wot is d meaning of thoz alphabets behind d figures?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 13, 2015
TheBestGovernor:
One thing that the OP mentioned that I like so much is the information on the solar charge controllers. Many people don't this fact, NEVER BUY a PWM charge controller, it will give you a lot of headache, instead, be ready to buy a PMMT charge controller no matter the amount.

PMMT charge controllers may cost 3 times the price of a PWM charge controller, but the benefits are enormous. PMMT charge controllers ensures that you have optimum power conversion from the solar panels. If you are not ready to buy a PMMT charge controller, don't install solar panels

The OP did not mention cable sizing, this also an important aspect you need to consider when installing solar panels especially when distance of termination (connection) points is far apart. Small cables will drop voltages which will eventually affect the overall power delivered to your load(s).

u've spoken well, bt I think the cable sizing depends on how versatile and how experienced the installer is, the more big the project is, the more attention you pay to details, there are lot of technicalities involved, like I'll not advice your battery to be far away from ur inverter, if at all it most be far for any reason, let d diameter of the cable be small as possible to avoid loss along the wire and not to be too small to avoid heating up of wire.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by DECOtech(m): 9:30pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

Get this right and you will regret wasting money all these years on petrol/diesel generators.

If you have any challenges or dissatisfaction with your solar power installation, pls bring it here and let me proffer solutions [/b]

Thank you.

Weldone bro.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Priestly1: 10:32pm On Aug 13, 2015
Solar power solution is an alternative power generation option for all those that want power independence and can financially sacrifice to make it happen.
Solar power solution options:
1. Off-Grid Solar Power Solution - This case is when you generate and use the generated power by yourself. No PHCN,Village or farm-house power
2. On-Grid Solar Power Solution - This case is when you feed the Grid(PHCN line) your produced power (This option is not available in Nigeria as of now).

Components of a solar power solution include the following:
1. Solar regulator otherwise known as Solar Charge Controller (PWM/MPPT i.e. Pulse Width Modulation/Maximum Power Point Tracking) are the main types of charge controllers you can find around PWM is not bad but tend to be a burden due to energy losses if used for high Voltage system it has no current compensation capacity which the MPPT has.
2. Solar Inverter/Standalone Power Inverter
3. DC Breakers
4. DC Combiners
5. Mount rails
6. Appropriate electrical wire for the connection
7. Ground lugs
8. Solar Deep Cycle batteries if you need backup
...to be continued
You can reach me for knowledge sake or advice on any solar power related issues/concern by email: haviseedsolutions4solar@gmail.com.
I will be glad to help you out.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Louisville141(m): 11:53pm On Aug 13, 2015
WTF
Tonniey:
Ok

Do u wanna trim ur tummy and loose weight, click on the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/2499520/good-news-now-get-rid
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by abunafiu(m): 11:58pm On Aug 13, 2015
geesampower:

True and not true. On the dc end it is strictly KW but we don't use DC conventionally so KVA is appropriate as inverters can be rated in kva by multiplying the power (kw) of the inverter by the power factor of the inverter.

Thank you

You're on point.

I have a problem with those saying that they don't need solar now that power is constant.

Let me assure you that if you are paying for every KWH of electrical energy you consume. You will quickly consider the cheaper alternative which is solar.

Did you care to know why advanced countries such as Germany, US etc are the front runners in solar despite their massive amount of MW they generate to their national grid.

Many of us are energy thiefs. very soon PHCN or what are they will install your meters outside your building and then there will be no short path to stealing energy. by d end of d Month u consume 500Kwh . u will pay 500×16.11=8055 + 625= 9000 approximately. Not even 500Kwh is 500 units. 625 is monthly fixed charge.

Assuming u use 42 inch lcd with 2 fans and a medium sized fridge for 10hrs daily. u would av consumed 120+ 80+80+ 200 = 480 watts = 10× 480= 4800wh or 4.8kwh. in 30 days it is 4.8×30=144kwh per month
u will pay 144×16.11+ 625= 2944.84.

But with solar u can power this with a 2kw inverter , 40 amps controller, 4 units of 200ah battery(incase it rains for an extra day) and 2000w panels for better results . You will spend approx 800k for this and enjoy more than 10hrs power daily for not less than 2yrs(battery life span depending on quality). the panels will last for over 25yrs.
if u do d maths. 3000 × 24 months is 720k. so in 2 yrs u would've paid for d solar power system.
with less than 300k u can replace the batteries and enjoy it for another 2 yrs as d case may be.
in d long run solar ia cheaper. very relaible. u av no business with the utility company.

obeenah and geesampower. ...u can take it from here. pls pardon my typo

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by zeestone99(m): 12:02am On Aug 14, 2015
maxiuc:
I have never regreted buying my Tiger 950 I pass my neighbour generator what is solar when I can buy 1litre of Fuel to power my tuke tuke

We dnt jst knw the dangers of releasing dangerous carbon everywhere, it's killing us slowly renewable energy sources are clean energy buh most nigerians prefer dangerous gases cos dey think it's cheap
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 12:04am On Aug 14, 2015
DUNKA:
Reliability and efficiency. The real practical application and not d hype. Thanks
We have one business and three residences on the Axpert. They are a bit finicky but a good value for the money. They work best with an external charge controller in my opinion. One has had a failed fan we did not do the fan software update and the fan ran all the time. It is still working. Our oldest unit was installed June of last year. Search for our YouTube video 3 Kva in Magodo.

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by zeestone99(m): 12:13am On Aug 14, 2015
For dose asking questions on the required number of panels, the truth is there is no required num of panel to be used, ur load I.e appliances determines the number of panels, also how fast you want ur batteries charged determines the num of panels to be used etc. I instal nationwide if u need to knw ur pv modules requirements and sizing of inverters based on ur load jst cal 08117398294, or send an email to Info@monzpowersolutions.com
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by zeestone99(m): 12:18am On Aug 14, 2015
kayo80:
OP, pls how much would it cost me to get solar panels/solar power fixed for a 2 bedroom apartment... 1 fridge, 1 freezer, 3 air-conditioning units, and some lighter electrical appliances? And what is the cost of maintenance over the years? Thank you.

That is 2much a load to be put on solar setup it ll cost a lot of moni, we can help you resize ur load and give you a breakdown of num of panels needed. Send us a mail Info@monzpowersolutions.com

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by zeestone99(m): 12:35am On Aug 14, 2015
gbigbega:
Thanks for this useful info.
I will like to install a 5kva Inverter that's hybrid (uses solar panel and PHCN), please what will be the cost of this?

What are the load u want to put on the panel, hw many hours do u want it to run, you can mail us for a breakdown cost of the setup Info@monzpowersolutions.com
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by zeestone99(m): 12:45am On Aug 14, 2015
syras:
Geesampower, how much is the rough estimate of using solar power to generate power for duplex house while cutting off PHCN totally? Thank you as I anticipate your reply.

There is no accurate and to dat question, u need to list the appliances and hours u want each of dose appliances to run, that ll help in the calculation u can mail us for the calculations Info@monzpowersolutions.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Giant Turtle Crawls Into Man's Compound In Bayelsa State. Photos / Hamza Abubakar Ningi Manufactures A Solar Stove In Bauchi (Pics) / Nigerians Left In Awe After Spotting Elephants Roaming Inside A Bush In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.