Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,292 members, 7,811,874 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! (62213 Views)

Strictly Discounted Prices On Solar & Power Inverter Materials. / Ask Me Anything On Solar,come In If You Need Solar Panels, / Misconceptions About Solar Power? What Is The Right Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by DUNKA(m): 2:44am On Aug 14, 2015
chris81964:

We have one business and three residences on the Axpert. They are a bit finicky but a good value for the money. They work best with an external charge controller in my opinion. One has had a failed fan we did not do the fan software update and the fan ran all the time. It is still working. Our oldest unit was installed June of last year. Search for our YouTube video 3 Kva in Magodo.
thanks
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by ojac1: 5:13am On Aug 14, 2015
U r so annoying! See how u spelt packaging. What wud our younger generation learn biko nu. Go to sch well sir.@geesampower
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Konnektions146(m): 9:23am On Aug 14, 2015
ojac1:
U r so annoying! See how u spelt packaging. What wud our younger generation learn biko nu. Go to sch well sir.@geesampower

Teacher Washington

5 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by uvalued(m): 9:55am On Aug 14, 2015
geesampower:

I will answer ANY, I mean ANY question you may have on solar power.

Pls no adverts here and don't ask me for my phone number or mail. Ask your questions here and I will answer here

If you have any challenges or dissatisfaction with your solar power installation, pls bring it here and let me proffer solutions

Thank you.

hope you see this post.

I have 10 desktop computers with flat screen monitor and a projector with an energy saving bulb.

I need to know what capacity of, number of batteries and the inverter will be required to power them for like 6-12hrs and other required things for the above.

Furthermore, i want to know does the fluctuation of light (caused by iron wielders nearby) affect the charging and life of the batteries during the day but at night the light is good and stable for charging.

attached is the image of the power pack specification which is for all the 10 system.

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by uvalued(m): 9:56am On Aug 14, 2015
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by uvalued(m): 10:00am On Aug 14, 2015
Xmen149:

well spoken....i always tell my customers to their face how expensive it is..and show them pictures of brand i deal on yet the will go for cheap stuffs and later call me to come and troubleshoot....same way a man got an installation with batteries that dnt even have its rating printed on it talk of the make...now he is calling me after his installation fail within 3months......if you dont have the money,please dnt go for it,better still get an inverter backup system only and charge with phcn (good products available at good price sef) and save your self the stress

noted and good advice
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by uvalued(m): 10:01am On Aug 14, 2015
Xmen149:
To make it easier for one,.get inverter backup system first..(you can buy inverter and keep when you have enough money you buy batteries),.and as money comes you can buy pocket friendly rating of pannel and controller(with view of what your final load will be)and add to the setup as on-grid system just to...with time you add more pannels and decide if to go completely off-grid..........you wount feel the pain that much and still get quality too

noted
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by zeestone99(m): 10:44am On Aug 14, 2015
uvalued:

hope you see this post.

I have 10 desktop computers with flat screen monitor and a projector with an energy saving bulb.

I need to know what capacity of, number of batteries and the inverter will be required to power them for like 6-12hrs and other required things for the above.

Furthermore, i want to know does the fluctuation of light (caused by iron wielders nearby) affect the charging and life of the batteries during the day but at night the light is good and stable for charging.

attached is the image of the power pack specification which is for all the 10 system.

You ll be needing a 5kva inverter sir with 8 200ah batteries it ll cost u 920k plus installation sir
Info@monzpowersolutions.com
U can cal us 08117398294, or visit our website www.monzpowersolutions.com
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 11:03am On Aug 14, 2015
uvalued:

hope you see this post.

From the image that device uses 720 watts multiply x 10 hours 7200 Watt hours. You have ten of them 72000 Watt hours. I need to see the information on your flat screen and projector. Just for the desktops alone you need 3000 ah in batteries . For a 50 state of discharge
You need new computers. They should consume 1/3 what yours consumes. You could elect not to have all of them on at the same time for ten hours.
, *******Correction*****.
I read the bottom and the maximum output power is 275 x 10 =2750. Times ten computers 27500. 1400 ah in batteries at 50 %.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by zeestone99(m): 11:09am On Aug 14, 2015
chris81964:

From the image that device uses 720 watts multiply x 10 hours 7200 Watt hours. You have ten of them 72000 Watt hours. I need to see the information on your flat screen and projector. Just for the desktops alone you need 3000 ah in batteries . For a 50 state of discharge
You need new computers. They should consume 1/3 what yours consumes. You could elect not to have all of them on at the same time for ten hours.

A desktop cannot use 720watts sir it's 250watts maximum sir... U can Correct me if I'm wrong

1 Like

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by kinzodigital: 11:55am On Aug 14, 2015
geesampower:
Yeah, it's Geesam again. Here to make sure you are informed.
In business, PARKAGING and SECRECY are very important in EXploiting consumers
You see a lot of solar power offers especially on online store especially the popular ones here in nigeria. Many are just carefully packaged offers that are nothing what they promise. You get them and develop the notion that solar power is not reliable.

Solar power is Expensive ( but still cheaper than generators anyway) so before you pay for any solar generator, solar power installation, or anything related, here are tips to ensure you get value for the good money you are paying.

Hello, thanks for your educative thread.
Please can you kindly help with total number of panels,inverters,batteries and other items that i would need to sufficiently power a 6 bedroom duplex and a twin 3 bedroom flat.
if you could suggest names of reliable products,that would be appreciated.
Can you suggest an estimated cost for a complete set up.Thanks

Get this right and you will regret wasting money all these years on petrol/diesel generators.

Solar power is reliable, lasts longer than any generator you could ever buy and is a class of it's own.

Solar power is much cheaper than fueling a generator for 10years.

You won't regret investing in one if you get your facts right.

I will answer ANY, I mean ANY question you may have on solar power.

Pls no adverts here and don't ask me for my phone number or mail. Ask your questions here and I will answer here

If you have any challenges or dissatisfaction with your solar power installation, pls bring it here and let me proffer solutions

Thank you.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 12:39pm On Aug 14, 2015
zeestone99:

A desktop cannot use 720watts sir it's 250watts maximum sir... U can Correct me if I'm wrong
Look at the picture. It is right there amps x volts. I simply multiplied what he supplied. I want to agree with you. We have always used 250 Watts including the monitor for our calculations. However the picture that was presented says something different. Thank you for your observation. The sticker put the maximum power output at 275 watts
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by jpphilips(m): 5:46pm On Aug 14, 2015
geesampower:

Air conditioning means 'money'. The reason is 1hp air conditioner consumes about 1200W so 3 will be 3600W plus 1200w for the fridge and freezer + 1000w for lights, tv and the rest. You will need 10kw system at least (better to over size so that over heating does not damage your inverter).
For a system u won't need to service in 5 to 8years.
This would require at least 16 205ah batteries, 24 250W panels, a 10kw inverter and 80A charge controller. Cost would be about N3m

Without the AC, 3kw system would have been perfect. Starting with N900,000 you can achieve this

Why do you calculate the load of appliances in watts? example:
You said a 1hp airconditioner is about 1,200w, why do you calculate it that way?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 6:58pm On Aug 14, 2015
jpphilips:

Why do you calculate the load of appliances in watts? example:
You said a 1hp airconditioner is about 1,200w, why do you calculate it that way?
The load or power rating of any electrical device is the product of the voltage and current the device/appliance/machine/electronic uses. You can't independently use the voltage or current requirement of such to determine what it takes to run it.

That is why watts is used by electrical engineers to rate the power requirement in electrical devices.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by jpphilips(m): 7:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
geesampower:

The load or power rating of any electrical device is the product of the voltage and current the device/appliance/machine/electronic uses. You can't independently use the voltage or current requirement of such to determine what it takes to run it.

That is why watts is used by electrical engineers to rate the power requirement in electrical devices.

Do you agree that some 1hp airconditioners are rated 950watts??
And some refridgerators are rated 1000w?
do you agree with any of the above?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 8:36pm On Aug 14, 2015
jpphilips:

The norm when translating HP to watts is 745 or there about. However your 1 hp AC can surge up to 3 times that number on start up. And if it is not properly maintained or repaired can use more than that rating.
While we can all hypothesize it is easier to look on the back or side of the unit and you can calculate what the number is. Manufacturers are making equipment with much more efficient motors.
1000 W refrigerator or Freezer. It has to be a commercial unit. I have seen home refrigerators repaired by Baba Seun (you know him) that pulled over 1000 W. Can't run those on Solar or an Inverter. Waste of energy
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 9:43pm On Aug 14, 2015
jpphilips:

That is very possible. It's possible in future for 1hp airconditions consume as low as 100watts, no controversy about variation in the wattage. There are 1hp pumps that consume 750w and some consuming as high as 1000watts. The technology is what makes the difference. Example. A brushed DC motor (BDC) and a Brushless DC motor (BLDC) can both be rated 1hp in what ever application were they function, and though they are both 1hp, the BLDC motor will consume at least 20% less energy than the BDC motor. So saying a 1hp Ac can also consume as low as 950watts is not out of place, it only shows there is a more efficient technology in use in that particular Ac. So that does not in anyway say we shldnt use Watts to calculate energy need. Or what is your point sir? Hope I am not missing anything? Is the watts quoted the controversy or the use of watts in calculation?

Visit the website of LG, samsung and you will discover most of their 1hp Air-conditioners are rated 1200w
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by jpphilips(m): 11:02pm On Aug 14, 2015
geesampower:

That is very possible. It's possible in future for 1hp airconditions consume as low as 100watts, no controversy about variation in the wattage. There are 1hp pumps that consume 750w and some consuming as high as 1000watts. The technology is what makes the difference. Example. A brushed DC motor (BDC) and a Brushless DC motor (BLDC) can both be rated 1hp in what ever application were they function, and though they are both 1hp, the BLDC motor will consume at least 20% less energy than the BDC motor. So saying a 1hp Ac can also consume as low as 950watts is not out of place, it only shows there is a more efficient technology in use in that particular Ac. So that does not in anyway say we shldnt use Watts to calculate energy need. Or what is your point sir? Hope I am not missing anything? Is the watts quoted the controversy or the use of watts in calculation?

Visit the website of LG, samsung and you will discover most of their 1hp Air-conditioners are rated 1200w

Since you agree, my next question goes thus;

modified
When you connect a 950w Airconditioner to a 1000w voltage regulator (stabilizer) what happens?

when you connect the 1000w fridge to a 1000w voltage regulator, what happens?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by jpphilips(m): 11:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
geesampower:

When you connect a 950w Airconditioner to a 1000w voltage regulator (stabilizer) what happens?

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by chris81964(m): 11:14pm On Aug 14, 2015
jpphilips:

What are you trying to prove with your questions. He educated people on Solar power. If you have any issues with what he has written voice it.
These questions that you are asking don't contribute to what he posted.

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 10:12am On Aug 15, 2015
jpphilips:

When you connect a 750w Airconditioner to a 1000w voltage regulator (stabilizer) what happens?

Though your question is off topic. I will oblige you.

I will like to see a true 750w air-conditioner (1hp)

Back to your question. Connecting a 750w air conditioner won't work. The start up of a 750w air-conditioner will most likely be 2000w or more.

A 1kw regulator will never work, I Mean NEVER work with a 1kw rated refrigerator.

You either blow out the fuse, transformer or the overload circuit breaker kicks in to stop the load from damaging the stabilizer.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by jpphilips(m): 1:41pm On Aug 15, 2015
geesampower:

Though your question is off topic. I will oblige you.

I will like to see a true 750w air-conditioner (1hp)

Back to your question. Connecting a 750w air conditioner won't work. The start up of a 750w air-conditioner will most likely be 2000w or more.

A 1kw regulator will never work, I Mean NEVER work with a 1kw rated refrigerator.

You either blow out the fuse, transformer or the overload circuit breaker kicks in to stop the load from damaging the stabilizer.

please it is not 750watts but 950w.

I guess you have not tried it before that is why you could not see the reason why calculating load in watts is wrong.

Let me answer it for you, a 950w Airconditioner connected to a 1000watts stabilizer will fry it instantly even though the rated wattage seems to be "ok", the starting current can be annuled by running the AC first through a switch mechanism that will regulate in micro seconds transferring the load to the 1000w stabilizer after a while, it will still fry it so the starting current theory holds no water in this case.

conversely, A 1000w refridgerator will run perfectly on a 1000w stabilizer the reason is simple,
A 1000w stabilizer is rated 2.6A while A 1000w refridgerator is rated 1A, you can see clearly that even if the fridge decides to double its starting current, the 1000w stabilizer still have a current clearance of 0.6A. That way no shaking!!.

Let us go and apply the same theory on the 950w Airconditioner.
The 950w Airconditioner has a strating current of 5.2A and a running current of 4.6A against the 1000w stabilizer of 2.6A.
you can see clearly that starting current or not, there is no way the stabilizer will stand a chance.

Nigerian technicians make that mistake a lot that is why there are a lot of homes that are powered with oversized generators and inverters.
It is still unclear whether the technicians do it to make the client pay more to their credit or the technicians are simply ignorant.

When someone says he has a 1hp Ac, dont calculate his load as 1,200w like you erroneously did rather his load is 4.6A -5.2A depending on the make and model.

This is not a subject of arguement because all the gadgets we mentioned are owned by people here, it wont be long before they tell you how wrong you are.
The actual load in an electrical device is the current rated in Amps and not the Power rated in watts or horsepower.
Learn that and move on!!

NB: IT IS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO ASK THE SELLER OF A GENERATOR OR INVERTER TO CALCULATE YOUR LOAD, CLIENTS BEWARE!!!

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 2:25pm On Aug 15, 2015
jpphilips:

please it is not 750watts but 950w.

I guess you have not tried it before that is why you could not see the reason why calculating load in watts is wrong.

Let me answer it for you, a 950w Airconditioner connected to a 1000watts stabilizer will fry it instantly even though the rated wattage seems to be "ok", the starting current can be annuled by running the AC first through a switch mechanism that will regulate in micro seconds transferring the load to the 1000w stabilizer after a while, it will still fry it so the starting current theory holds no water in this case.

conversely, A 1000w refridgerator will run perfectly on a 1000w stabilizer the reason is simple,
A 1000w stabilizer is rated 2.6A while A 1000w refridgerator is rated 1A, you can see clearly that even if the fridge decides to double its starting current, the 1000w stabilizer still have a current clearance of 0.6A. That way no shaking!!.

Let us go and apply the same theory on the 950w Airconditioner.
The 950w Airconditioner has a strating current of 5.2A and a running current of 4.6A against the 1000w stabilizer of 2.6A.
you can see clearly that starting current or not, there is no way the stabilizer will stand a chance.

Nigerian technicians make that mistake a lot that is why there are a lot of homes that are powered with oversized generators and inverters.
It is still unclear whether the technicians do it to make the client pay more to their credit or the technicians are simply ignorant.

When someone says he has a 1hp Ac, dont calculate his load as 1,200w like you erroneously did rather his load is 4.6A -5.2A depending on the make and model.

This is not a subject of arguement because all the gadgets we mentioned are owned by people here, it wont be long before they tell you how wrong you are.
The actual load in an electrical device is the current rated in Amps and not the Power rated in watts or horsepower.
Learn that and move on!!

NB: IT IS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO ASK THE SELLER OF A GENERATOR OR INVERTER TO CALCULATE YOUR LOAD, CLIENTS BEWARE!!!
Lol
Won't indulge u. Thanks
While negating the operational voltage, you went ahead to work on current alone.
We could go on with this but I won't. You have not made any point that abolishes the use of watts (power) in load

And I am sure when balancing how much load a battery will power for a certain period, your logic would say we shld leave out voltage and focus on just the amps. Right? This is hilarious.
And when considering what a solar panel can power I shld ignore the voltage too right? So a 100w panel that delivers a current of 5.5A is enough to power a deep freezer. Right at least according to your argument, we shld forget about watts (power) and focus on current (amps). So 100w panel is all I need to invert to alternating current at 5.5amp that it generates and I would power 5 freezers using 1amp.

Hope you know this is online. Many will see this around the world. Those who have a foundation in physics or electrical engineering would be perplexed reading this

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 2:48pm On Aug 15, 2015
Some times I wish everyone has a good foundation in physics. You would just laugh at some "experts" online.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by jpphilips(m): 5:07pm On Aug 15, 2015
geesampower:

Lol
Won't indulge u. Thanks
While negating the operational voltage, you went ahead to work on current alone.
We could go on with this but I won't. You have not made any point that abolishes the use of watts (power) in load

And I am sure when balancing how much load a battery will power for a certain period, your logic would say we shld leave out voltage and focus on just the amps. Right? This is hilarious.
And when considering what a solar panel can power I shld ignore the voltage too right? So a 100w panel that delivers a current of 5.5A is enough to power a deep freezer. Right at least according to your argument, we shld forget about watts (power) and focus on current (amps). So 100w panel is all I need to invert to alternating current at 5.5amp that it generates and I would power 5 freezers using 1amp.

Hope you know this is online. Many will see this around the world. Those who have a foundation in physics or electrical engineering would be perplexed reading this

Mention one appliance in our homes that is rated 100w/5.5A?
I gave my examples with appliances all of us can verify and you pull out fiction from the bubble of white garment expertise.
Anyways, I don't really blame you I blame ignorant people who allow a seller to calculate their load.
My arguement is based on the mannerism you calculate people's home appliance load which is wrong.

You said A 1000w fridge can not be powered by a 1000w stabilizer, the proof I gave is beyond reasonable doubt, it is up to your would be clients to put your ingenuity to a test, pray you dont fail.

2 Likes

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 5:26pm On Aug 15, 2015
jpphilips:

I gave my examples with appliances all of us can verify and you pull out fiction from the bubble of white garment expertise.
Anyways, I don't really blame you I blame ignorant people who allow a seller to calculate their load.
My arguement is based on the mannerism you calculate people's home appliance load which is wrong.

You said A 1000w fridge can not be powered by a 1000w stabilizer, the proof I gave is beyond reasonable doubt, it is up to your would be clients to put your ingenuity to a test, pray you dont fail.

Oga explaining common physics to u is a waste of time. U are just here to prove u 'sabi'. Of which what u are saying is totally flawed, how can anyone say it is wrong to calculate load with Watts. This is incredible.
Keep waiting for my clients to come and complain u will wait for ever.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 5:33pm On Aug 15, 2015
jpphilips:

By the way what is it with you and stabilizer. We are talking solar energy, you are talking stabilizer.
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by zeestone99(m): 5:41pm On Aug 15, 2015
jpphilips:

Oga load is always calculated in watts, when u consider the power of the load you re considering 2 parameters wch is current n voltage, u can't jst consider one.... U can easily mislead ursef every sane technician n manufacturer ll rate his load in watts...
Power= current * voltage wch leaves us a unit called watts, all Wat u r sayin do nt apply in physics dis is simple physics sir.

Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by jpphilips(m): 5:51pm On Aug 15, 2015
geesampower:

By the way what is it with you and stabilizer. We are talking solar energy, you are talking stabilizer.

You seem to forget that the same way an appliance is a load aka resistance to an inverter is the same way an appliance is a load to a stabilizer, do I even expect you to know that?
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by Konnektions146(m): 6:05pm On Aug 15, 2015
geesampower:

Oga explaining common physics to u is a waste of time. U are just here to prove u 'sabi'. Of which what u are saying is totally flawed, how can anyone say it is wrong to calculate load with Watts. This is incredible.
Keep waiting for my clients to come and complain u will wait for ever.

I noticed the way he was going and didnt have the power to drag with someone like him

Wonder why my boss @chris81964 asked him this

chris81964:

What are you trying to prove with your questions. He educated people on Solar power. If you have any issues with what he has written voice it.
These questions that you are asking don't contribute to what he posted.

please ignore him
Re: Beware!!! 5 Reasons You May Regret Spending On Solar Power!!! by geesampower(m): 8:29pm On Aug 15, 2015
Konnektions146:

I noticed the way he was going and didnt have the power to drag with someone like him

Wonder why my boss @chris81964 asked him this

please ignore him

thanks. His mission is visible to the blind. Those who how what we are talking about will find his comments amusing anyway. Such people are inevitable. They will even call you pretending to be clients just to test you and see how you do your business. I will be expecting his call or mail next pretending to be a client. I have met many like him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Space Crew Return To Very Different Earth / Giant Turtle Crawls Into Man's Compound In Bayelsa State. Photos / Hamza Abubakar Ningi Manufactures A Solar Stove In Bauchi (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.