Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,442 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis (39405 Views)

Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice / Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by mavverick: 10:52pm On Sep 28, 2015
Aventures:
Well, the approval people came but our client is handling that. We no for sure that the Material Testing guys can as well come, but we know for sure when they come there would always be away out.
We have varying heights of our ground beam some are 1.6m high while some are 1.3m high (approx. 4-5 boards). Well it is better to be precise about your fdn height before commencement because you may not be able to add to it as long as it is raft fdn, but rather what some people do is to add filled solid blocks to the top of grd beam and later add a capping beam before the reinforced ground floor slab

Thanks for answering my questions.
Did you say that one may not be able to add to a raft foundation, I have seen a raft whereby it was initially casted as 4 coach, but later 2 coaches were later added to it, so rods were tied to the existing 4, boarded up and filled with concrete. Any issues you see here ?

Thanks.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by lafolabi(m): 3:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
It's possible. What you need to do, is to make sure that you get the top reinforcement of the beam. Connect the top reinforcement with the new introduce ring and additional reinforcement to form top bar.get your formwork in both sides.allow the reinforcement to properly rest on the column tie it together then cast.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Aventures(m): 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2015
Dear all,

We are set for closing this phase of work i:e foundation by Wednesday with the Ground floor slab casting.

Reinforcement to ground floor slab to completed tomorrow.

Materials are also on ground. Granite and stone dust as coarse and fine aggregates and cement as the binding agent. I want to encourage all of our builder's in this forum for further embracement of this aggregates by an experiment I undertook.

I prepared a concrete with the mixture of 1:1:2 that is 0ne head pan of granite to one head and of quarry dust, and 2 head pan of granites. This mixture should give Concrete with Grade 30 strength at 28 days. I also prepared second set the same way but this time I used sharp sand instead of quarry dust with the expectation of same strength after 28 days. This concrete were casted in cubes and were taken to Building Technology of Yaba Tech for testing. The test is to be undertaken in 3 stages: 7 days, 14 days and 28 days.

Grade 30 concrete is the grade commonly use for bridges, jetty, airplane runways and some heavyduty structures.

I was surprised to have the cement + quarry dust + granite giving 25N/mm2 (expected 30N/mm2 @ 28 days) while cement + sand+ granite gives 21N/mm2 (aslo expected 30N/mm2 after 28 days.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Aventures(m): 10:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
Update pics.

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by kopell: 1:55am On Oct 06, 2015
Aventures:
Dear all,

We are set for closing this phase of work i:e foundation by Wednesday with the Ground floor slab casting.

Materials are also on ground. Granite and stone dust as coarse and fine aggregates and cement as the binding agent. I want to encourage all of our builder's in this forum for further embracement of this aggregates by an experiment I undertook.

I prepared a concrete with the mixture of 1:1:2 that is 0ne head pan of granite to one head and of quarry dust, and 2 head pan of granites. This mixture should give Concrete with Grade 30 strength at 28 days. I also prepared second set the same way but this time I used sharp sand instead of quarry dust with the expectation of same strength after 28 days. This concrete were casted in cubes and were taken to Building Technology of Yaba Tech for testing. The test is to be undertaken in 3 stages: 7 days, 14 days and 28 days.

Grade 30 concrete is the grade commonly use for bridges, jetty, airplane runways and some heavyduty structures.

I was surprised to have the cement + quarry dust + granite giving 25N/mm2 (expected 30N/mm2 @ 28 days) while cement + sand+ granite gives 21N/mm2 (aslo expected 30N/mm2 after 28 days.
@Aventures if I may ask, what did you intend to achieve with this experiment. Here in the west, this is the standard procedure for testing any concrete with a fact sheet. Before it used for any job. For record purpose it must meet the standard strengths of what it's being used for. There is no shortcuts about it, its the law. Otherwise you will face the rough side of the law.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Aventures(m): 7:40am On Oct 06, 2015
kopell:
@Aventures if I may ask, what did you intend to achieve with this experiment. Here in the west, this is the standard procedure for testing any concrete with a fact sheet. Before it used for any job. For record purpose it must meet the standard strengths of what it's being used for. There is no shortcuts about it, its the law. Otherwise you will face the rough side of the law.
my intention is not far fetched. By God's grace I was among the front liners in campaigning for the use of quarry dust simply because it has no salt and that is an advantage against dredging sharp sand (with d exception of ogun sharp wish is salt less and very sharp but very expensive). But this reason is not enough to substantiate this campaign because strenght is also of very high priority in concrete and so I had to do this to comfirm we campaigning right.

As you said that this is law in the west, it is also applicable here and as a matter of fact in Lagos there's is a material testing agenct but they're doing nothing only to collect settlements.
But some high profile corporate body do insist on this QA/QC though they do pay for this.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by johnson232: 8:25am On Oct 06, 2015
Aventures:
Dear all,

I prepared a concrete with the mixture of 1:1:2 that is 0ne head pan of granite to one head and of quarry dust, and 2 head pan of granites. This mixture should give Concrete with Grade 30 strength at 28 days.
Engr. Is that the mix ratio u gonna be using for all your concrete works for this project ? Or u just decided to use that mix ratio for the test?
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by smiley001(m): 9:00am On Oct 06, 2015
Aventures:
my intention is not far fetched. By God's grace I was among the front liners in campaigning for the use of quarry dust simply because it has no salt and that is an advantage against dredging sharp sand (with d exception of ogun sharp wish is salt less and very sharp but very expensive). But this reason is not enough to substantiate this campaign because strenght is also of very high priority in concrete and so I had to do this to comfirm we campaigning right.

As you said that this is law in the west, it is also applicable here and as a matter of fact in Lagos there's is a material testing agenct but they're doing nothing only to collect settlements.
But some high profile corporate body do insist on this QA/QC though they do pay for this.

Words from the professional.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Aventures(m): 9:57am On Oct 06, 2015
johnson232:

Engr. Is that the mix ratio u gonna be using for all your concrete works for this project ? Or u just decided to use that mix ratio for the test?
I did this just for experiment purpose. for residential and commercial projects the concrete grade required is 21 and 25 respectively.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by johnson232: 11:57am On Oct 06, 2015
Aventures:
I did this just for experiment purpose. for residential and commercial projects the concrete grade required is 21 and 25 respectively.
Alright, I wanted to say if your client was plucking his money from a tree. I presume the 25 is 1:2:4. As a renowned structural engr. Is it okay using 1:4:4 for all the concrete works in a bungalow & a storey building at most? Both columns & slabs?
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Fhemmmy: 12:28pm On Oct 06, 2015
Awesome
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by segcymoor(m): 2:36pm On Oct 06, 2015
Aventures:
Dear all,
Yeah. The same thing apply to reinforcement. .....some things were not expected to be done anyhow

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Chekitaut: 12:52am On Oct 08, 2015
Contest these builders if you can
Eng. Biyi
Eng. Aventure
Arct. Segcymoor
If you can on structure detailing.
Respect to these names on Nairaland.com property forum
Project below handiwork of Segcymoor present when Lagos State material testing team arrive un-noticed, first Hammer test on the 1st pillar, the guy shouted "mo gbe' wt fear on my mind... What happened? He move close to the head team sir this is unbelievable I have never seen such result since am testing in Ajah, the leader witnessed it next was handshake going on in the air, weldone, weldone, and bye bye

All concrete work are of Stonedust +Granite +Cement.

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by EndiaSami: 6:37am On Oct 08, 2015
Chekitaut:
Contest these builders if you can
Eng. Biyi
Eng. Aventure
Arct. Segcymoor
If you can on structure detailing.
Respect to these names on Nairaland.com property forum
Project below handiwork of Segcymoor present when Lagos State material testing team arrive un-noticed, first Hammer test on the 1st pillar, the guy shouted "mo gbe' wt fear on my mind... What happened? He move close to the head team sir this is unbelievable I have never seen such result since am testing in Ajah, the leader witnessed it next was handshake going on in the air, weldone, weldone, and bye bye

All concrete work are of Stonedust +Granite +Cement.
smiley
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Aventures(m): 7:40am On Oct 08, 2015
Glory be to God. Foundation finally delivered.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by twinskenny(m): 8:12am On Oct 08, 2015
Aventures:
woow great weldone sir
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by mufutau55(m): 2:35pm On Oct 08, 2015
Aventures:

I know this Client is in a good hand (Builder).

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by segcymoor(m): 2:37pm On Oct 08, 2015
Aventures:
Lord is ur strength. .....no be small things o
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Aventures(m): 6:03pm On Oct 08, 2015
mufutau55:

I know this Client is in a good hand (Builder).
Hajji M.
segcymoor:

Lord is ur strength. .....no be small things o
Thank you all for your support.

we set to hit the sky. setting of kickers in progress.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by kopell: 6:56pm On Oct 08, 2015
Aventures:
So far so good. How much have you spent to this stage? If permissible pls share with the house.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by erico2k2(m): 7:21pm On Oct 08, 2015
Aventures:
Update pics.
Plz what is the tonnage of these hip of granite?
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by topsy23: 9:39pm On Oct 08, 2015
Weldone boss

For your Electrical, plumbing design drawing and installation. Contact us

For further info call 08033643191 or 08051750560
Whatsap: 08033643191
Pin: 24ED26C9
Email; atope23@live.co.uk, topselg.engineering@gmail.com

You can visit our thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/1804476/complete-package-design-drawing-electrical

https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/9
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 08, 2015
The experiment was kinda lost to me, apologies.

What was the end result, that stone dust gives superior strength to sharp sand? Someone hinted as such to me on my site.

What are the cost differences and also are these for elevated buildings or for ALL constructions?

Thanks for sharing your tests. This simple demonstration has placed you a notch above your contemporaries.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Chekitaut: 11:20pm On Oct 08, 2015
EgunMogaji:
The experiment was kinda lost to me, apologies.

What was the end result, that stone dust gives superior strength to sharp sand? Someone hinted as such to me on my site.

What are the cost differences and also are these for elevated buildings or for ALL constructions?

Thanks for sharing your tests. This simple demonstration has placed you a notch above your contemporaries.
The result cement + quarry dust + granite giving 25N/mm2 while cement + sand+ granite gives 21N/mm2
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Nobody: 1:04am On Oct 09, 2015
Chekitaut:
The result cement + quarry dust + granite giving 25N/mm2 while cement + sand+ granite gives 21N/mm2

So with stone dust is stronger? I'm no engineer grin
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by gabbytabby: 4:42am On Oct 09, 2015
Chekitaut:

The sand used in the test was it ajah sand or odo ogun red. It would be interesting to find how the later compares.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Chekitaut: 7:32am On Oct 09, 2015
gabbytabby:

The sand used in the test was it ajah sand or odo ogun red. It would be interesting to find how the later compares.
Lagos dredging he quot
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Aventures(m): 4:31pm On Oct 09, 2015
@EgunMogaji. I stated the reason fir this test, if u read thoroughly u ll understand. But let me give a recap:

1. I was among the people that pioneer the use of stone dust on this forum basically for the fact that it is salt less, and friendly to reinforcement unlike lagos dredging that is salty and can enhance corrosion of reinforcement. Cost wise it is relatively cheaper when compared to lagos dredging. Another sand that has the quality of this salt less is odo ogun sharp sand, odo ogun is cheaper in some area close to its source but expensive when bringing it to lagos.

2. I had taught that beyond the quality if saltess, strenght is equally very important, so I need to have assurance that what I am preaching (use of stone dust) is also of good quality when it comes to strength.

Now the result shows that the use of stone dust is stronger than using of Lagos dredging and cheaper and also saltess. so why would I not shared this for others to learn and emulate.

Tx ur apology accepted.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 09, 2015
Aventures:
@EgunMogaji. I stated the reason fir this test, if u read thoroughly u ll understand. But let me give a recap:

"the result shows that the use of stone dust is stronger than using of Lagos dredging and cheaper and also saltess"

Trust me I read thoroughly but for some reason I did not comprehend it. Reading and comprehending are separate skills. I do now understand your post.

Someone offered me stone dust supply for my site, I wasn't impressed at first but I will now call him back and maybe use it for my decking.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by mufutau55(m): 6:52pm On Oct 09, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Someone offered me stone dust supply for my site, I wasn't impressed at first but I will now call him back and maybe use it for my decking.

Yes. Oga Aventures. Will the stone-dust will be better for decking instead of sand, even Odo-Ogun sharp sand? Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by Aventures(m): 7:27pm On Oct 09, 2015
mufutau55:

Yes. Oga Aventures. Will the stone-dust will be better for decking instead of sand, even Odo-Ogun sharp sand? Thanks.
Hajji M.
sir, I have a lot of respect for Odo Ogun sharp sand. iT has all the qualities of fine aggregate, no salt, very sharp and it also gives a good quality concrete. If it is cheaper for anyone I really recommend it. Though I wish to do the strength comparative test on both soon.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Medium High Rise Multi Dwelling Service Apartment At Ajah Axis by mufutau55(m): 7:38pm On Oct 09, 2015
Aventures:
sir, I have a lot of respect for Odo Ogun sharp sand. iT has all the qualities of fine aggregate, no salt, very sharp and it also gives a good quality concrete. If it is cheaper for anyone I really recommend it. Though I wish to do the strength comparative test on both soon.

Thank you sir. That will be real good if the test can include the Odo-Ogun sharp sand, so we can be better informed.
I have heard about the strength of Odo-Ogun sharp sand in my quest for decking process too... Thanks for sharing your knowledge sir.

Hajji M.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

What Kind Of House Can I Build With 3m / 10 Object-shaped Buildings From Around The World / Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.