Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,490 members, 7,850,706 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:45 AM

Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year (7257 Views)

Poll: The CBN Governor's salary is:

Too low.: 54% (72 votes)
Too high.: 9% (13 votes)
Just right.: 35% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To Okonjo-Iweala's Response To Charles Soludo's Article / Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo / Stop Moaning... Petrol Is 326.21 Naira a litre in the UK! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Skywalker5(m): 3:54pm On Mar 28, 2009
PurestBoy:

Oga Seun for president! Don't you think this is a good idea?

That one no b bad idea ooooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Oga seun wetin you feel? Just make me senator,i no fight for vice president or governor grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Em2va: 5:42pm On Mar 28, 2009
Come all of una wen dey talk rubbish for dia, If I catch any of U wen U den dey pay you pass 5million per year, I go
arrest you, oh because una be tif tif.
See una head
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by sosodat: 6:36pm On Mar 28, 2009
PurestBoy:

Oga Seun for president! Don't you think this is a good idea?

Nope! Christianity will be abolished in Nigeria and it will be the most biased adminstration in history embarassed

@ Topic
The sum (12mil) isn't enough for the post of CBN Governor. As for the article stating he is living above his means,
they didnt bother to substantiate and confirm his assets, investments and income before he became CBN governor
and whether those assets are no longer existent and bringing in revenue since becoming CBN governor, which will
then make his salary his only legitimate means of revenue. Hence its just pure lazy journalism with a heavy political undertone. wink
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Onyema1(m): 7:00pm On Mar 28, 2009
bad belle people. if you think his salary is too much go and achieve what he has achieved. I can't take that job for that salary per annum.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by kingsots(m): 10:18pm On Mar 28, 2009
I think he makes far more than dat. We should nt forget dat pple in positions like dat dont touch dere dough, they are comfortable living on dere benefits. 12mila a yr is jst ok.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by lexdino: 11:44pm On Mar 28, 2009
the man climbed to reach that spot, what about the senators?
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by jamace(m): 11:24am On Mar 29, 2009
Please read this thread for what our politicians earn and you will know that Soludo is not earning anything compared to our politicians.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-232827.32.html
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 29, 2009
@ Topic,
How the Heck does this concerns me ? do i have a share in his salary ? shocked shocked shocked tongue
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by biina: 7:17pm On Mar 29, 2009
lexdino:

the man climbed to reach that spot, what about the senators?
explain? he was appointed not promoted. The CBN governorship is a political appointmen and not a career post.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by ehie007(m): 9:56am On Mar 30, 2009
thats just his basic i presume, we dont even know about his other allowances and benefits, with his position am sure he takes home nothing less than 40million officially and unofficially a year, with all the gifts and pr's he gets, he is made for life,
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Unubi(f): 10:06am On Mar 30, 2009
Binna, I think u ar getting it wrong. The question is his pay as cbn gov. and not his policy. Even at that, his policies might not be impeccable but believe me for the very work sake, he has done well and deserves more than 12 mill per annum.

Stock exchange wahala and sinking naira are part of nija's share of global financial crises wh no single individual no matter the expertise cld had prevented absolutely. These effects can only b mitigated or minimized.

REMEMBER THAT NIGERIA IS NOT EXISTING IN ISOLATION.

Solution still lies in diversifying and bolstering the real sector of the economy.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Sagamite(m): 10:10am On Mar 30, 2009
On generous estimation terms, the average salary per annum of an average Nigerian is N300K (let's say that the average wage is N25K per month).

Soludo, at N12m per annum, as a PUBLIC SERVANT is earning 40 THOUSAND times the average salary and some people here are still saying that is low or peanuts. WTF?

What kind of reasoning leads on to be comparing the salary of an official in the Western world with that of an African official and trying to propose parity?

It is as silly as saying the CEO of Nigerian banks should pay themselves N500m (£2m) per annum because that is the around the remuneration of a UK CEO of a bank.

Note: Most Nigerian bank CEO salary is around N40m to N75m per annum. So Soludo's salary is very Juicy expecially considering the official benefits he will get with the post (e.g. free accomodation, security and transportation).
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Sagamite(m): 10:16am On Mar 30, 2009
The governor of the Bank of England earns £300K a year which is 10 times the average salary in the UK. Do you think he should be earning 40 thousand times this?

This is the kind of reasoning that leads to lawmakers and government thinking they have the licence to rob Nigerians as a Nigerian Senator almost earns the same as a British MP.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by otukpo(f): 10:24am On Mar 30, 2009
i smell bad belle here.

the OP of this thread is jobless and most likely frustrated.

For all those that think that Soludo has achieved nothing as CBN gov, he will soon leave that seat, another person will be there and we will see what magic the next CBN gov will do.

As far as i can remember, Soludo is one CBN gov that have done very well. His achievements are there, even if u despise him so much dt u cant see them, they are there.

For attributing NSE downturn and Naira depr to him, thats too wrong. What is happening is global and not just a Nigerian problem. He is has tried, and if u think 12mill per annum is too much for him, go and find out what an ordinary bank executive earns.

Soludo's seat will soon be vacant, so all those economists here that think they have all it takes to turn around Nigeria, pls start now to submit ur CV. U pple should not be bitter abt other pple's achievements. Political appointment or not, he was something b4 he was appointed.

May God bless Soludo, He has really done well for Nigeria.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by leoig: 11:31am On Mar 30, 2009
been it N12M or whatever you can think of it,it is too small compare to His good work to our dearly nation pls stopcomplaining if u think that the work is easy kind go to senate so that the can give you the work.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by valmarangs(m): 11:43am On Mar 30, 2009
for the fact that the cbn gov. became a prof .at 33 or so shows the stuff the guy is made up of. he is an expert in his field and is entitiled to whatever rewards he has . he is simply reaping from his hardwork and success. our dumb senators that parade themselves in abuja take home 45million every quater as constituent development funds and only buy sewing machines and okada for 10 people and no one is bothered with that.soludo has the acumen to earn even 100million a year.only his research work and consultancies can fetch him more than double his pay. that 12million is scandalously low for a material like him.haters pls get off ur pcs and earn a living. angry angry ??
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Sagamite(m): 11:50am On Mar 30, 2009
valmarangs:

for the fact that the cbn gov. became a prof .at 33 or so shows the stuff the guy is made up of. he is an expert in his field and is entitiled to whatever rewards he has . he is simply reaping from his hardwork and success. our dumb senators that parade themselves in abuja take home 45million every quater as constituent development funds and only buy sewing machines and okada for 10 people and no one is bothered with that.soludo has the acumen to earn even 100million a year.only his research work and consultancies can fetch him more than double his pay. that 12million is scandalously low for a material like him.haters pls get off ur pcs and earn a living. angry angry ??

GBAM!
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by valmarangs(m): 11:57am On Mar 30, 2009
for those who feel that an AVERAGE worker in naija is poorly paid ,thank God u used the term average and not exceptional. anyone that wants to earn a goog takehome should be able to invest in his/herself educationally. if u go to banks and even the telecoms let me even leave the oil industry, u find a middle ranked official earning as high as 400-500k per month and he is even yet to reach the upper rungs of the establishment .guys just put a little to invest in urslves and u'll see how far u can go anywhere in the world
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by dustydee: 12:17pm On Mar 30, 2009
He must be a big fool to collect that kind of salary.so many young engineers in oil and gas and telecoms in this country earn more than that in this country.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Sagamite(m): 12:27pm On Mar 30, 2009
valmarangs:

for those who feel that an AVERAGE worker in naija is poorly paid ,thank God u used the term average and not exceptional. anyone that wants to earn a goog takehome should be able to invest in his/herself educationally. if u go to banks and even the telecoms let me even leave the oil industry, u find a middle ranked official earning as high as 400-500k per month and he is even yet to reach the upper rungs of the establishment .guys just put a little to invest in urslves and u'll see how far u can go anywhere in the world

Invest in yourself with which money?

Most countries use national resources to invest in their people's development, you are demanding that the people should invest in themselves whilst the national resources is used to overpay public servants that you are happy to compare with private sector employees pay.

I think Soludo is worth N12m, but like everybody else, if he is not happy with his public sector pay then he should move to the private sector like the "banks and telecoms" you highlighted.

It is irrational, unreasonable and unsustainable for senior public servants to pay themselves huge amounts whilst the junior ones are suffering and smiling. Also, especially when the public servants are a failure (this is not referring to Soludo) by all standards.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by debetmx(m): 2:39pm On Mar 30, 2009
Too low for his status. because you dont like him does not mean you should slay him
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by iyken(m): 3:55pm On Mar 30, 2009
Sagamite:

On generous estimation terms, the average salary per annum of an average Nigerian is N300K (let's say that the average wage is N25K per month).

Soludo, at N12m per annum, as a PUBLIC SERVANT is earning 40 THOUSAND times the average salary and some people here are still saying that is low or peanuts. WTF?

What kind of reasoning leads on to be comparing the salary of an official in the Western world with that of an African official and trying to propose parity?

It is as silly as saying the CEO of Nigerian banks should pay themselves N500m (£2m) per annum because that is the around the remuneration of a UK CEO of a bank.

Note: Most Nigerian bank CEO salary is around N40m to N75m per annum. So Soludo's salary is very Juicy expecially considering the official benefits he will get with the post (e.g. free accomodation, security and transportation).

Your initial "generous" Estimation is faulted. Nigeria has long moved on from that salary bandwith.

Secondly, we are discussing about one the highest, most sensitive and intellectually tasking postion of a country- the office of CBN gov. NOT the average tea girl in an office or Cleaner on Grade level 02.
Lets learn to compare apple for apple.

The office of the CBN gov should be as attractive as can be. 12M p.a (average take home for most big boys in Glo, banks etc) is definitely not attractive enough for this portfolio.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Rhea(f): 4:40pm On Mar 30, 2009
First,
I would take any info I get from Saharareporters with a pinch of salt.

Second,
N12m is just about right if we are talking of basic salary. If we are talking of gross, then that is peanuts for a CBN governor. That's about the gross for starters in some oil multinational firms
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by wiseguy(m): 5:02pm On Mar 30, 2009
12Mil? that's too low. So many managers in my company earn more than that as basic alone and they are not professors.

If that is his salary, i won't be dissapointed, its just ok as a political appointee because there too many goodwill attached to the post.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by sosodat: 5:49pm On Mar 30, 2009
Sagamite:

Invest in yourself with which money?

Most countries use national resources to invest in their people's development, you are demanding that the people should invest in themselves whilst the national resources is used to overpay public servants that you are happy to compare with private sector employees pay.

I think Soludo is worth N12m, but like everybody else, if he is not happy with his public sector pay then he should move to the private sector like the "banks and telecoms" you highlighted.

It is irrational, unreasonable and unsustainable for senior public servants to pay themselves huge amounts whilst the junior ones are suffering and smiling. Also, especially when the public servants are a failure (this is not referring to Soludo) by all standards.

Thats where u dont get it. The Topic is just about your opinion whether the CBN governors salary is commuserate with the position. (Soludo never protested that it is too high or low). Also Soludo never legislated the amount he should be paid.

Also, with seniority comes more responsibility and hence higher pay. Cant fathom your proposition for junior and senior public servants pay to be equal or near that.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by MrCrackles(m): 6:00pm On Mar 30, 2009
I dont think 12Milli is too high for the kind of top position he holds but has it done enough to justify it is what we should be questioning!
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by biina: 6:03pm On Mar 30, 2009
Why do people keep on commenting on the salary of the CBN governor by relating it to earnings in the private sector.

The position of CBN governor is a political appointment, and does not need to be made 'attractive'. Emphasis  should be on public service as opposed to enriching one's pocket.

Better yard sticks are the income of other employees in CBN (deputy governor $ co), the income of heads of other federal parastatals, and general civil service remuneration.

I am not saying that the NGN 12 is too high or too low, rather that either sides should present better arguments.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by tpia: 6:17pm On Mar 30, 2009
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by Sagamite(m): 6:19pm On Mar 30, 2009
iyken:

Your initial "generous" Estimation is faulted. Nigeria has long moved on from that salary bandwith.

Secondly, we are discussing about one the highest, most sensitive and intellectually tasking postion of a country- the office of CBN gov. NOT the average tea girl in an office or Cleaner on Grade level 02.
Lets learn to compare apple for apple.

The office of the CBN gov should be as attractive as can be. 12M p.a (average take home for most big boys in Glo, banks etc) is definitely not attractive enough for this portfolio.

You would have really done well by giving me the correct estimates after you have faulted my own so I will know how to respond. Right now you just leave me lost as you leave nothing to compare with the apple, talkless of comparing apples to apples  undecided.

So what is the reasonable average salary of the average Nigerian? It does not bode well to say something is rubbish and then not say what is right.

Rhea:

First,
I would take any information I get from Saharareporters with a pinch of salt.

Second,
N12m is just about right if we are talking of basic salary. If we are talking of gross, then that is peanuts for a CBN governor.

Agree.

Rhea:
That's about the gross for starters in some oil multinational firms

Absolute tosh. No possible chance in hell will a starter be paid N12m. NOT even in the UK or US.

sosodat:

Thats where u dont get it. The Topic is just about your opinion whether the CBN governors salary is commuserate with the position. (Soludo never protested that it is too high or low). Also Soludo never legislated the amount he should be paid.

I was responding to the deviated assertions made by posters, not the topic itself.

sosodat:

Also, with seniority comes more responsibility and hence higher pay. Cant fathom your proposition for junior and senior public servants pay to be equal or near that.

Yep, with seniority comes responsibility and hence higher pay but you cannot be paying some some officials that are senior/or even junior almost close to less than what they need to survive.

Vice Chancellors of universities and senior university professors are paid N200K to N400K per month and then some people are almost proposing that the one million per month paid to Soludo is not enough.

The Vice Chancellors of the UK make between £150K to £300K, whilst the BoE Governor makes £300K. Whilst Economist of talent in the private sector are paid close to £1.2m. If the BoE governor is not happy, he is free to join the private sector.

You can't have such disparity in pay in the public sector and now expect the poorly paid to be motivated.

The average Nigerians pay is probably around N300K and then Senators are being paid N26m, is that not public looting?

The point is that, it is lame to be comparing public pay to private pay. One is political and sponsored by the public and the other is through merit with investors money at risk.
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by richjohn1(m): 8:45am On Mar 31, 2009
It's not too much remember 'men of god' or 'gods of men' can afford private jets!!!!!!! grin
Re: Charles Soludo Makes 12 Million Naira A Year by homegirl1: 9:23am On Mar 31, 2009
only N12 million, please they should review his salary and make it more reasonable N12 million is a chicken change investments or no investments they should review it asap cool cool cool cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian States Will Soon Be Allowed To Distribute Power - Goodluck / Refuse Take Over Aba / Buhari Has Greatly Divided Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.