Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1116) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4406755 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1113) (1114) (1115) (1116) (1117) (1118) (1119) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 3:24pm On Feb 16, 2019
What are the likely disadvantages of a foundation that isn't up to the minimum required thickness? I suspect my bricklayer didn't do justice to the agreed foundation concrete thickness. He claims it is over the recommended thickness (by the architect) in some parts of the foundation and below in some parts. Guy made me have sleepless nights contemplating on the next line of action, should my suspicions be true.

If I should decide to opt for laying the "German floor" over only the foundation block wall, what is the best way to go about it? Do I use thesame materials traditionally used in laying a German floor or just pouring concrete will suffice? I noticed some use concrete, damp proof membrane/leather. Is there need for "iron reinforcement" and what else?

Thanks as you take your time to respond and pls pardon me if I am using the wrong terminologies. I am not too familiar with the technical terms in construction.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:31pm On Feb 16, 2019
ehix89:
someone might just need them, don't take life too seriously brov.....cheers

What makes you think I take life seriously? How many times have you posted on this thread?
There are many threads in Properties forum for sellers to advertise their wares and they can freely open their own thread.
Thank you.

Hajji M.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hum2020: 4:43pm On Feb 16, 2019
Dangote andl lafarge cement are good for block molding it all depend on individual choice but for me i will go for Dangote blomaster
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yinka10: 7:32pm On Feb 16, 2019
Please Carpenter in the house i need a quotation of roofing and ceiling of 18 rooms self contain.
Measurements
Main building: 90ft by 30ft
BQ: 90ft by 15ft
Slate and Aluminum so can consider the price
difference
Email: hakbello1010@yahoo.com

Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2019
U blind or what? Bring it down now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:34pm On Feb 16, 2019
Wagasigiungu:

This job looks neat. Did you use iron reinforcement in casting over the blocks? Is it still possible to do a general German flooring afterwards. This approach is faster and cheaper, in addition to motivating one to strive harder upon seeing ones build rise to lintel level. Lolz. At the very least, it is better than not doing any.

I am considering adopting thesame approach after discussing with my architect, who also serves as the project supervisor by the way.

Ń. B. I can't seem to notice any damp proof membrane or leather (on the blocks) usually spread over the German floors in the picx attached to ur post.

Thanks.
Yes, I did use iron reinforcements before casting.
At that stage one can still do a general concrete flooring. But once blocks are placed on top of the beam, then a general casting can't be done.
The use of damp proof membrane is not a neccessity on this build.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:45pm On Feb 16, 2019
Wagasigiungu:

Which is better for hand moulded blocks? Dangote BlocMaster or Lafarge Supaset?

Which is also better for block laying?

Thanks
Q1: Both
Q2: Dangote 42.5N or Lafarge Classic 32.5N

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by blackboy(m): 8:57pm On Feb 16, 2019
Pls what is the estimate for a 2 bedroom bq in Abuja?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tammynator(m): 9:06am On Feb 17, 2019
Hello professionals and friends on this great forum. I bought a land in Uyo but, unfortunately, the land was a scam. The seller (scammer) even told me to go ahead and do my survey on the property which I did. Although, I just got the survey sketch to enable me get my plan done. The plan was done according to the sketch and all money paid in full to the architect.
Problem now is that, having lost that land, I got another land but, the dimension of the building plan is not entering this new land. Dimensions of the building is 17x11m. Attached is the new land survey sketch. What do you advice? Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 9:31am On Feb 17, 2019
Tammynator:
Hello professionals and friends on this great forum. I bought a land in Uyo but, unfortunately, the land was a scam. The seller (scammer) even told me to go ahead and do my survey on the property which I did. Although, I just got the survey sketch to enable me get my plan done. The plan was done according to the sketch and all money paid in full to the architect.
Problem now is that, having lost that land, I got another land but, the dimension of the building plan is not entering this new land. Dimensions of the building is 17x11m. Attached is the new land survey sketch. What do you advice? Thanks.
My opinion:
1- do another one or 2- ask the architect to reduce the existing dimension of building.

Though we done see the existing plan maybe one can say something about it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uyijiano4u(m): 9:41am On Feb 17, 2019
bro how possible was this done, 18 rooms self contained please are this single rooms self contained or room and palour...am sorry for asking a different question from what yu are enquiring, sir I am also curious to learn more
yinka10:
Please Carpenter in the house i need a quotation of roofing and ceiling of 18 rooms self contain.
Measurements
Main building: 90ft by 30ft
BQ: 90ft by 15ft
Slate and Aluminum so can consider the price
difference
Email: hakbello1010@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tammynator(m): 10:55am On Feb 17, 2019
Takoro13:

My opinion:
1- do another one or 2- ask the architect to reduce the existing dimension of building.

Though we done see the existing plan maybe one can say something about it

Okay. I will post it. Thanks. But, it is the double expense that I'm trying to avoid.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yinka10: 11:01am On Feb 17, 2019
uyijiano4u:
bro how possible was this done, 18 rooms self contained please are this single rooms self contained or room and palour...am sorry for asking a different question from what yu are enquiring, sir I am also curious to learn more
Yes they are just single rooms self contained , not room and palour
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 12:00pm On Feb 17, 2019
Takoro13:
Please help me criticise this plan. Thanks

1.Swap the kitchen and that small room.

2. The smaller lobby is unnecessary waste of space. Transfer the bedroom doors to the main lobby, then use the small lobby as a wardrobe in the adjoining rooms. The depth of the wardrobe is 620mm + 150mm blockwork=770mm x 2 for both sides which is 1540mm then the remaining space can be shelfed and used as extra storage accesed through the main lobby.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by macbillion(m): 4:55pm On Feb 17, 2019
Please visit our website www.macbillion.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:28pm On Feb 17, 2019
Wagasigiungu:
What are the likely disadvantages of a foundation that isn't up to the minimum required thickness? I suspect my bricklayer didn't do justice to the agreed foundation concrete thickness. He claims it is over the recommended thickness (by the architect) in some parts of the foundation and below in some parts. Guy made me have sleepless nights contemplating on the next line of action, should my suspicions be true.

If I should decide to opt for laying the "German floor" over only the foundation block wall, what is the best way to go about it? Do I use thesame materials traditionally used in laying a German floor or just pouring concrete will suffice? I noticed some use concrete, damp proof membrane/leather. Is there need for "iron reinforcement" and what else?

Thanks as you take your time to respond and pls pardon me if I am using the wrong terminologies. I am not too familiar with the technical terms in construction.

This one wey you don dey have sleepless nights so, why not save up and do the proper thing: German floor?

In property, no be who finish first but who finish well and strong wins.

There will always be historical issues if not done according to well tested full proof method, which is German floor. That's the inconvenience truth.

Please homeowners, don't cut corners during the structural integrity process of your project. The decorative aspect is only when you have the flexibility to cut corners. So spend the right amount to achieve structural integrity then recover during decor by being creative.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:31pm On Feb 17, 2019
Wagasigiungu:

Foundation blinding is minimum/maximum of 4"/6"(100mm/150mm). If it falls within this range its okay.
Location matters and if getting granite is expensive there are other alternative aggregate materials that can be used to achieve the oversite concrete(german floor). There are aggregate materials called Brown stones or 3/8 sand(coarse sand), etc, etc.
Your engineer/architect handling the project is in the best position to advice you on the use of DPM, iron reinforcement, etc,etc.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by taskcompleteng: 6:33pm On Feb 17, 2019
I can supply you block
Call me .
Zero7O6196O316

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 7:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
adanny01:

1.Swap the kitchen and that small room.

2. The smaller lobby is unnecessary waste of space. Transfer the bedroom doors to the main lobby, then use the small lobby as a wardrobe in the adjoining rooms. The depth of the wardrobe is 620mm + 150mm blockwork=770mm x 2 for both sides which is 1540mm then the remaining space can be shelfed and used as extra storage accesed through the main lobby.
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uyijiano4u(m): 7:32pm On Feb 17, 2019
wow real nice
yinka10:
Yes they are just single rooms self contained , not room and palour
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:16pm On Feb 17, 2019
bixton:

Thanks.
Yes, I did use iron reinforcements before casting.
At that stage one can still do a general concrete flooring. But once blocks are placed on top of the beam, then a general casting can't be done.
The use of damp proof membrane is not a neccessity on this build.

Noted with thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:17pm On Feb 17, 2019
Chekitaut:
Q1: Both Q2: Dangote 42.5N or Lafarge Classic 32.5N
Thanks for the clarification boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:25pm On Feb 17, 2019
diordaves:

This one wey you don dey have sleepless nights so, why not save up and do the proper thing: German floor?

In property, no be who finish first but who finish well and strong wins.

There will always be historical issues if not done according to well tested full proof method, which is German floor. That's the inconvenience truth.

Please homeowners, don't cut corners during the structural integrity process of your project. The decorative aspect is only when you have the flexibility to cut corners. So spend the right amount to achieve structural integrity then recover during decor by being creative.

I must say I totally agree with your submissions. My having sleepless nights is based on the suspicion that the bricklayer contracted to do the foundation job "might" have cut corners by not casting the concrete up to the minimum 4" thickness. He has been changed sha. I no fit work with person wey I get doubts about. Hopefully it doesn't cause me any regret in the future.

Thanks for the advice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:29pm On Feb 17, 2019
bixton:

Foundation blinding is minimum/maximum of 4"/6"(100mm/150mm). If it falls within this range its okay.
Location matters and if getting granite is expensive there are other alternative aggregate materials that can be used to achieve the oversite concrete(german floor). There are aggregate materials called Brown stones or 3/8 sand(coarse sand), etc, etc.
Your engineer/architect handling the project is in the best position to advice you on the use of DPM, iron reinforcement, etc,etc.

That is exactly my fear. I suspect it isn't uniformly up to the minimum 4" thickness in some parts of the foundation. Maybe I am being unnecessarily paranoid.

I appreciate the advice. I will discuss my suspicions with the architect.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kenvital: 9:58pm On Feb 17, 2019
Pls house can someone help me with the average labour cost of plastering a 3 bedroom bungalow.
I have received quotes for 320k is it ok.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dfameguy: 10:02pm On Feb 17, 2019
Keep it up boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 10:07pm On Feb 17, 2019
Hi guys, I salute everyone and want to commend your guys efforts as you have unkown add value to people lives.

Please, I want to know the likely quantity of : cement, sharp sand and cement for dpc of this plan at @4inch thickness. The perimeter is around 40ft by 50ft outside wall

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 1:05am On Feb 18, 2019
hello all,

please what is the cost of labour per sqm for:

1. Tiles laying
2. Ceiling POP

thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 2:46am On Feb 18, 2019
megacontrol:
hello all,

please what is the cost of labour per sqm for:

1. Tiles laying
2. Ceiling POP

thanks
hello gud morning, tiles is #400 per square metre, which is the same price with pop ceilings thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alist(m): 3:02am On Feb 18, 2019
Adedward:
hello gud morning, tiles is #400 per square metre, which is the same price with pop ceilings thanks
are you sure they are same price? Please confirm again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1113) (1114) (1115) (1116) (1117) (1118) (1119) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.