Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,161 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1709) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4399627 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1706) (1707) (1708) (1709) (1710) (1711) (1712) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 5:13pm On Oct 25, 2020
Ahah! That is lack of proper supervision! We need to understand we need competent professionals(architect/engineer) on site to ensure good result, the cost of not employing professionals on site is more expensive on the long run.
erico2k2:

Yes o, this same thing happened to my Dad's build, the supporting structure to the boarding gave way. cos so meone decided to buy old bamboo and dead 2x2
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 5:13pm On Oct 25, 2020
n3xt:

Just as Ambode promised to give us the report of what happened at Lekki Gardens Building Collapse lipsrsealed

How long will it take to extract data from a CCTV camera? 120 hours or weeks? grin
Less that 2 minutes!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2020
I am sleeping sir, once I wake up I will respond to you grin
n3xt:

Just as Ambode promised to give us the report of what happened at Lekki Gardens Building Collapse lipsrsealed

How long will it take to extract data from a CCTV camera? 120 hours or weeks? grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:30pm On Oct 25, 2020
erico2k2:

Yes o, this same thing happened to my Dad's build, the supporting structure to the boarding gave way. cos so meone decided to buy old bamboo and dead 2x2

Often times, formwork is a major cause of this type of problem.

If you leave formwork for too long before casting, this problem can also happen.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:32pm On Oct 25, 2020
omanzo02:

Less that 2 minutes!

Hmm!

We don’t know who ordered the shooting.
We also can’t get footage of LCC CCTV 5 days after the event.

This is Nigeria!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 5:47pm On Oct 25, 2020
n3xt:
Who understand what went wrong here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p8VMufiZ7k

Poor proping , when the volume of the concrete is underestimated and the supporting props are inadequate in size or quantity.

I witnessed a casting where the labours in their quest to finish the casting made their way through the props by removing some of the props. Thank God it was noticed on time. The carpenter was called to replaced the removed props to prevent collapse of the floor. And we told them not to remove or shift any prop again.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 6:00pm On Oct 25, 2020
n3xt:

Hmm!

We don’t know who ordered the shooting.
We also can’t get footage of LCC CCTV 5 days after the event.

This is Nigeria!
This will be swept under the carpet like all other incidents that happened, the culprits will go unmasked and unpunished.
If you know how this things work the order definitely comes from defence headquarter and Buratai got clearance from the presidency(Buhari), the Lagos State governor can't pretend he doesn't know shots were about to be fired!. They only need to get a unit of the military to do the dirty job.
The incident is generating international interest and every country are watching what the Nigeria government are going to do, the good news is all countries recognised they were unarmed peaceful protesters and has evidence the Nigeria soldiers did it and nobody is believing the fake news mantra of the federal government.
Nigeria is just a few steps away from full blown revolution!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ogborokiri(m): 6:07pm On Oct 25, 2020
good day please I have a half plot of land 50 by 50 and I want to build 1 selfcontian and 1 2bedroom flat please I need advice do I just start only the self contain or dig foundation for the two raise it to floor level and continue with only the self contain
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:09pm On Oct 25, 2020
Aforxzy:

Poor proping , when the volume of the concrete is underestimated and the supporting props are inadequate in size or quantity.

I witnessed a casting where the labours in their quest to finish the casting made their way through the props by removing some of the props. Thank God it was noticed on time. The carpenter was called to replaced the removed prop to prevent collapse of the floor. And we told them not to remove or shift any prop again.

Thanks for sharing. Renting props in some cases can also cause this.

One site engineer decide to rent props from a carpenter for his project. The headroom was at 3m but the carpenter was only able to supply a 2.75m bamboo. So he decided to join the props.

The rest was history. The slab came down.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:19pm On Oct 25, 2020
I’m deathly afraid of elevated deckings.

The weight of the granite, sand, cement and water always give me concern.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 6:28pm On Oct 25, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 7:20pm On Oct 25, 2020
POP champs in the house.

Please I am trying to make kind of calculations and I require assistance.

1. Please how many bags of white cement and sponge will deal one sqm for a good quality thickness

2. How is the sponge sold and cost.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:40pm On Oct 25, 2020
erico2k2:

Yes o, this same thing happened to my Dad's build, the supporting structure to the boarding gave way. cos someone decided to buy old bamboo and dead 2x2

These people no dey think of problems like this happening? Too much money wasted and reconstruction will also be very expensive.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:42pm On Oct 25, 2020
n3xt:

While we wait for experts, here are the possible cause of the failure:

- Beam Connection
- Inadequate support underneath the slab
- Concentrating the poker vibrator for too long in a particular section.
- Bad Formwork/Carpentary Work

That’s all I can think of right now. I believe there could be other reasons.

Boss. I agreed with you o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:48pm On Oct 25, 2020
mufutau55:

These people no dey think of problems like this happening? Too much money wasted and reconstruction will also be very expensive.

Hajji M.
Yep, I was so angry wen I got there,The Old man is just upgrading his retirement portfolio and these guys all they see is money plus greed, but at the end I made him pay for the mistake!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:58pm On Oct 25, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
I’m deathly afraid of elevated deckings.
The weight of the granite, sand, cement and water always give me concern.

Me too o. Concrete decking work always scared me.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:59pm On Oct 25, 2020
erico2k2:

Yep, I was so angry wen I got there,The Old man is just upgrading his retirement portfolio and these guys all they see is money plus greed, but at the end I made him pay for the mistake!

Now, more than double expenses. God help us o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 8:52pm On Oct 25, 2020
Muyi002:
POP champs in the house.

Please I am trying to make kind of calculations and I require assistance.

1. Please how many bags of white cement and sponge will deal one sqm for a good quality thickness

2. How is the sponge sold and cost.

Thanks.

Cc: Dominionng
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrainArk(m): 12:05am On Oct 26, 2020
Are you thinking of installing CCTV in your home or office? We offer you the best CCTV installation services with our wide range of CCTV system, contact us also for your solar, inverter and satellite installation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kambols95(m): 12:23am On Oct 26, 2020
Ogborokiri:
good day please I have a half plot of land 50 by 50 and I want to build 1 selfcontian and 1 2bedroom flat please I need advice do I just start only the self contain or dig foundation for the two raise it to floor level and continue with only the self contain

Talk to Mak Designs & Consult, we will give you a decisive Architectural design to suit your taste
0803.....764.... 1814
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:00am On Oct 26, 2020
Engineering wonder. Not sure if it’s photoshop or even Nigeria.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kingreign(m): 2:11am On Oct 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
I will never attempt to go anywhere where near this structure. I am not sure of its stability. It's just me though.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:50am On Oct 26, 2020
kingreign:

I will never attempt to go anywhere where near this structure. I am not sure of its stability. It's just me though.

It just seems so wrong. Maybe it’s photoshop.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:06am On Oct 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
Engineering wonder. Not sure if it’s photoshop or even Nigeria

I said the same thing when I first saw it.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:06am On Oct 26, 2020
michlins:
#5000 currently and I can confirm that in Nnewi here. The trucks can't go to okpella Edo State to load so they're pretty much selling old stock and capitalizing on it.

Capitalism 101
/
I wonder who will buy at that price.

Na to just halt work until normalcy returns.

PH was affected by the riots but they are still selling N3100.
\
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 5:34am On Oct 26, 2020
valencia2012:

Am making this enquiry because I've severally come across your numerous adverts/shout outs for jobs here. I've also simultaneously checked your profile/thread and found only pics of stacked wood logs and planks. Not too convincing for me, especially in Diaspora. You could do better. Ask michlins. Even rottech77 got my attention in minutes.
God bless you too. Stay healthy. Stay safe!

Agreed.
When he answered one of the question I posted here, I checked his profile regarding roofing and was not impressed. I already moved my business elsewhere. This is posted for him to improve for future business.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 5:37am On Oct 26, 2020
My carpenter is recommending" Akun "as the wood for roofing and was telling me it doesn't have to be painted. Please can the professionals in the house help me out if this recommendation is appropriate

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 5:43am On Oct 26, 2020
kingreign:

It's probably some college professor field laboratory/experiment. It look like some book head is trying to solve some mathematical equations... Angle, square, rectangle, gravity, weight, balance etc. But then such an experiment can be done with sim applications.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:01am On Oct 26, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/
I wonder who will buy at that price.

Na to just halt work until normalcy returns.

PH was affected by the riots but they are still selling N3100.
\
people wey want buy fit buy. I don't have need for it sha
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 7:07am On Oct 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

This is risky engineering.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:08am On Oct 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

It just seems so wrong. Maybe it’s photoshop.
Most likely sir. The distance of the shadow on the wall below, the doors and windows that leads to nowhere.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sako28: 7:37am On Oct 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

This might not be a photoshop, have seen something close to this type of structure before in Angola, was marvel too when I first saw it.
With good engineering calculation and load share tech and stimulation I believe it very achievable. Mega structure on Discovering channel will blow ur mind when u see new technology out there.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1706) (1707) (1708) (1709) (1710) (1711) (1712) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: jiday4(m), lorhema(f) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.