Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,939 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1850) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4377387 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1847) (1848) (1849) (1850) (1851) (1852) (1853) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 9:17am On Dec 22, 2020
mexxy1:

Noted. But, I think that's the wrong way of soak away/ septic tank construction.

The two chamber system does the job better. The septic tank chamber receives all waste (solid and liquid) and continous decomposition/bacterial breakdown occurs in same chamber.

The soak away part receives all waste water via a linking pipe from the septic tank. The pipe is placed high such that only when the water reaches that level will it trickle in. And, this chamber usually has spaces in the block work to allow the waste water seep into the soil.

Having two chambers to receive waste water is more of a waste of resources and serves no particular purpose rather, might just worsen or complicate things not to talk of the waste of resources (materials and money).

As long as the pipe linking the septic tank and soak away chambers is placed properly (high and slanted), you're good to go. Also, there must be spaces on at least on section of the block work in the soak away chamber.

Anything else is a waste of resources in my opinion and an unnecessary overbuild.
the septic tank is supposed to receive only solid waste from the toilet. liquid waste containing soap and oils from kitchen and bathroom should go directly to the soak away because it inhibits the growth of bacteria that breaks down the solid waste in the septic tank if piped directly into it. when the septic tank gets the the apportioned level, the sludge settles on the bottom and the effluent flows into the soak away.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:36am On Dec 22, 2020
vickzie:

the septic tank is supposed to receive only solid waste from the toilet. liquid waste containing soap and oils from kitchen and bathroom should go directly to the soak away because it inhibits the growth of bacteria that breaks down the solid waste in the septic tank if piped directly into it. when the septic tank gets the the apportioned level, the sludge settles on the bottom and the effluent flows into the soak away.

I agree with you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 11:58am On Dec 22, 2020
vickzie:

Please is this in support of 2 chambers or 3 chambers?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:59am On Dec 22, 2020
mexxy1:

Noted. But, I think that's the wrong way of soak away/ septic tank construction.

The two chamber system does the job better. The septic tank chamber receives all waste (solid and liquid) and continous decomposition/bacterial breakdown occurs in same chamber.

The soak away part receives all waste water via a linking pipe from the septic tank. The pipe is placed high such that only when the water reaches that level will it trickle in. And, this chamber usually has spaces in the block work to allow the waste water seep into the soil.

Having two chambers to receive waste water is more of a waste of resources and serves no particular purpose rather, might just worsen or complicate things not to talk of the waste of resources (materials and money).

As long as the pipe linking the septic tank and soak away chambers is placed properly (high and slanted), you're good to go. Also, there must be spaces on at least on section of the block work in the soak away chamber.

Anything else is a waste of resources in my opinion and an unnecessary overbuild.

A lot of people go for the two chambers method. This is for financial reasons. Best practice is three chambers.

There are pipes placed on the walls to aid soakaway process. I use pipes instead of holes in the block work. Why pipes? To prevent backflow.

However, the method you described is a fantastically wrong way to build soakaway. Solid should be in one chamber with a link pipe to direct effluent to the next chamber for soakaway process.

What is overbuild? For the same cubic feet, the difference is just the wall dividing the third chamber. This will add about 5k or less to the final cost. However, cars will park on the soakaway, so that wall also serve as a structural wall adding structural ridgidity and stability to the structure.

I didn't design the structure. A seasoned structural engineer did. And I trust him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mexxy1(m): 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2020
vickzie:

True. But, my response was based on the pattern he described his and, I didn't expantiate further. Solid and liquid waste in the context I described is from the WC.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mexxy1(m): 12:02pm On Dec 22, 2020
mank1234:

That you aren't aware does not make it a wrong method.

[url]http://www.draindomain.com/septic%20tanks.html[/url]

If you look well, I said, 'in my opinion, it is an overbuild'

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mexxy1(m): 12:06pm On Dec 22, 2020
diordaves:

A lot of people go for the two chambers method. This is for financial reasons. Best practice is three chambers.

There are pipes placed on the walls to aid soakaway process. I use pipes instead of holes in the block work. Why pipes? To prevent backflow.

However, the method you described is a fantastically wrong way to build soakaway. Solid should be in one chamber with a link pipe to direct effluent to the next chamber for soakaway process.

What is overbuild? For the same cubic feet, the difference is just the wall dividing the third chamber. This will add about 5k or less to the final cost. However, cars will park on the soakaway, so that wall also serve as a structural wall adding structural ridgidity and stability to the structure.

I didn't design the structure. A seasoned structural engineer did. And I trust him.

Points noted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vickzie(m): 12:38pm On Dec 22, 2020
Godisgreatest1:

Please is this in support of 2 chambers or 3 chambers?
2 would do.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 12:42pm On Dec 22, 2020
vickzie:

2 would do.

Ok, Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sparks026(m): 12:53pm On Dec 22, 2020
Thank you QSFemi

QSFemi:
If you're talking about labour cost per square metres only, then it ranges from #300 to #500 depending on your location and level of expertise of the tiler.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 3:41pm On Dec 22, 2020
henrymor:
Thanks for your response. It is ceiling pop. The bungalow has 3 rooms, 4 bathrooms, one kitchen, one sitting room, one anteroom, a walkway (passage), and two verandas (one at the font and one at the back). Th square meter of the house is 295.

The quotation is attacked

The square meter of the house is less than half of 295! Let someone else retake the measurements
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Paras011: 3:45pm On Dec 22, 2020
Build Your Dreams with TIGER TMT Iron Rods

All of us have a dream home. We all have that desire to build and dwell in a home that is not only comfortable but also well designed, strong, durable and long-lasting. It would certainly be fulfilling to live in a home like that. But have you thought of how to build your dream home? Apart from getting accurate budget/costing, and patronizing a team of professionals, you MUST use only high quality TMT iron rods.

The quality of the TMT iron rods you use will not only make your dream home a reality but also determines its strength, structural integrity, durability, and ultimately, longevity. Are you confused? Don’t be! With TIGER TMT iron rods, these desires are already fulfilled.

Build your Dream with TIGER TMT Iron Rods

TIGER TMT iron rods are produced with the most advanced 3D laser technology which gives them a uniform rib structure that makes them bond perfectly with cement and concrete. This is why TIGER TMT iron rods guarantee unmatchable strength that will make your building stand strong for many generations.

The most advanced and fully-automated quenching process used in making TIGER TMT iron rods gives them perfect ductility that makes them resistant to earthquakes and other natural disasters. They can also be bent and shaped without breaking or cracking because they have gone through fatigue test that gives them perfect elongation

These unmatchable qualities make TIGER TMT iron rods suitable for all construction purposes and offer you long-term financial benefits.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 5:18pm On Dec 22, 2020
You're welcome.

Sparks026:
Thank you QSFemi

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 5:32pm On Dec 22, 2020
spyder880:
Guys, please help my client select the best look to his new house,

1st picture: The 3d rendition from the original architect (we didn't like the look)

2nd picture: A picture my client picked and loves for me to use it to replace the first picture.

3rd picture: The new design I worked out with my architect (Phildecasa) so we can use it to replace 1 and 2.

The question now is which of the views should we use, which do you think looks better for this house we are just starting to build?

Thanks for your comments.

https://www.nairaland.com/6272551/making-contemporary-5-bedroom-duplex

I pick the second. The one your client chose.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chimexdnice1(m): 5:49pm On Dec 22, 2020
mexxy1:

Ohh! Wahala for who no get money to waste nah grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:49pm On Dec 22, 2020
Paras011:
Build Your Dreams with TIGER TMT Iron Rods

All of us have a dream home. We all have that desire to build and dwell in a home that is not only comfortable but also well designed, strong, durable and long-lasting. It would certainly be fulfilling to live in a home like that. But have you thought of how to build your dream home? Apart from getting accurate budget/costing, and patronizing a team of professionals, you MUST use only high quality TMT iron rods.

The quality of the TMT iron rods you use will not only make your dream home a reality but also determines its strength, structural integrity, durability, and ultimately, longevity. Are you confused? Don’t be! With TIGER TMT iron rods, these desires are already fulfilled.

Build your Dream with TIGER TMT Iron Rods

TIGER TMT iron rods help bring your dream design into reality, ensure that your house is very strong, stands the test of time and withstands natural calamities such as earthquakes, and fires.

TIGER TMT iron rods are produced with the most advanced 3D laser technology which gives them a uniform rib structure that makes them bond perfectly with cement and concrete. This is why TIGER TMT iron rods guarantee unmatchable strength that will make your building stand strong for many generations.

The most advanced and fully-automated quenching process used in making TIGER TMT iron rods gives them perfect ductility that makes them resistant to earthquakes and other natural disasters. They can also be bent and shaped without breaking or cracking because they has gone through fatigue test that gives them perfect elongation

TIGER TMT iron rods contain perfect chemistry and the right carbon content that enable them to withstand any type of moist condition, extreme temperature and corrosion.

These unmatchable qualities make TIGER TMT iron rod suitable for building your dreams. They ensure comfortability, longevity and offer you long-term financial benefits.
Sir, are you TIGER TMT Iron marketing agent. I can testify you have very good product so is your prices, are higher then most of your competitors in the market. Anyway individual choice, my concern is the resent hike in your products is unbearable for small ends users like me, just as well as cement. What is the reason for this hike
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:21pm On Dec 22, 2020
ArcToyin:

I pick the second. The one your client chose.

Thanks for your input Sir, you are doing a good work yourself.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cjfbn: 8:41pm On Dec 22, 2020
Good day house,
Is there anything or a device I can use to re-inforce my door to prevent a breach.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:51pm On Dec 22, 2020
cjfbn:
Good day house,
Is there anything or a device I can use to re-inforce my door to prevent a breach.

There are levels of security breach. You can act on that to mitigate entry.
But only God can prevent a real breach.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ty01: 8:55pm On Dec 22, 2020
michlins:
I'm based in Nnewi Anambra State but I can work where the job is. Stuff like standing tank MUST be done at the site, handrails is my duty to hang them and weld them together. So yes, I can work where you want me to

I really really love your works as displayed on this forum. But that distance is a tough one for me, given the site is in Lagos. Maybe we can plan it properly and work something out on my next project, God willing. Compliments.���
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2020
cjfbn:
Good day house,

There are lots of things.

Spend some time on Pinterest for ideas. I got lots from there.

Good luck on your project on finding what can be adapted to your individual needs.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by HEADYWORLD: 10:40pm On Dec 22, 2020
I need help in reviewing this quotation for wiring of 3 bedroom flat with washing room, ante room, all room ensuite with POP all through.

P.S - We are using energy saving bulbs for the house and LED lights that's why we have 1km for the lighting.

Is it too much or les that's on your swift response.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:13am On Dec 23, 2020
ty01:

I really really love your works as displayed on this forum. But that distance is a tough one for me, given the site is in Lagos. Maybe we can plan it properly and work something out on my next project, God willing. Compliments.���
I don't know the exact locationin Lagos but if it's possible for a truck to get there, I will be there with my team and execute your job. Let's discuss and iron out the issues, I can do it

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:16am On Dec 23, 2020
cjfbn:
Good day house,
yes sir. First of all, when buying the door, ensure you purchase something with strong and durable material. Secondly, you can get a protective gather in front of the door to added security, thirdly, ensure that the keys and hinges are of high quality.

Finally, always remember that all these won't stop a determined thief from gaining entrance but will only suffer him or her.

The door before is twice more expensive than a normal door because of the selection of materials. Same goes for the key, hinges and bolt. One good thing about this hinges is that it doesn't have that noise known for local ones which is also in the picture below

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:05am On Dec 23, 2020
cjfbn:
Good day house,

Just be good in your community.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:47am On Dec 23, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I agree with you.

Septic Tank Sizing

The sizing of a septic tank and the number of sections (2 or 3 chamber design) should be determined by the number of people living in the house and the intensity of their use of water supply.

For a family of three to seven, a two-chamber model will suffice except the property is a public latrine. However, if 8 or more people live in the house, then it is better to choose a three-section or even five-section option.

To accurately determine the size required, there’s need to know the volume of wastewater per day.

This means the capacity of a septic tank for a family of 3 - 7 should be at least 2000 litres per day. By standard, your septic tank should be able to hold a 2 - 3 day volume of water. Thus a 4,000 - 6,000 litres septic tank should be fine.

Anything above is .... lipsrsealed

————
A septic tank is not a water reservoir.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mexxy1(m): 8:19am On Dec 23, 2020
n3xt:

A septic tank is not a water reservoir.

Herein lies my argument against a three chambered system. It remains to me, a waste of resources and serves no particular purpose.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sinorte: 8:36am On Dec 23, 2020
Please what is the cost of erecting a 7.5meters high 6ft by 6ft platform to hold two 1200liters tanks, suspended one on the other?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:44am On Dec 23, 2020
mexxy1:

Herein lies my argument against a three chambered system. It remains to me, a waste of resources and serves no particular purpose.

If the biodigester solution below could serve a small factory (15 - 25 employees), then you may be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fk4c3oVAu4

But again, this is Nigeria where people put on jacket and switch on ACs grin

I won’t forget when Myles Munroe pull that joke on us. He said “Pls kindly remove those jackets. I know you can afford it but you don’t need it in this terrain.”

_______
Pic 1-3 | Biofil Digester installed 2015. 100% maintenance free.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThunderStrike: 10:27am On Dec 23, 2020
Dear(s),

I was looking for where to buy roofing, as usual I was prepared for the usual attitude (cheating and stress) of our country men. I came looking for a trusted roofer. I have never known Money121 in my life, in fact I am beyond amazed. I saw reviews and decided to follow my intuition.

All I did was to send 95% of the money to his account, being a busy person I didn’t even keep in touch, he roofed it in 2days and kept me updated from loading till completion.

I will recommend Money121 anytime, anyday. This is the most seamless transaction I’ve had as a Nigerian. Thank you money121

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 10:33am On Dec 23, 2020
ThunderStrike:
Dear(s),

I was looking for where to buy roofing, as usual I was prepared for the usual attitude (cheating and stress) of our country men. I came looking for a trusted roofer. I have never known Money121 in my life, in fact I am beyond amazed. I saw reviews and decided to follow my intuition.

All I did was to send 95% of the money to his account, being a busy person I didn’t even keep in touch, he roofed it in 2days and kept me updated from loading till completion.

I will recommend Money121 anytime, anyday. This is the most seamless transaction I’ve heard as a Nigerian. Thank you money121
Thanks so much for your patronage

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1847) (1848) (1849) (1850) (1851) (1852) (1853) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.