Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1942) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4377876 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1939) (1940) (1941) (1942) (1943) (1944) (1945) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:08am On Jan 22, 2021
A tad too late... start planning for plastering.

chuksbogus2001:
Hi please help me access this roof you all. I think it's too high!!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 8:10am On Jan 22, 2021
chuksbogus2001:

Its okay by me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:13am On Jan 22, 2021
Dijita:

Is there no way we can have a door-like window burglary that can be open in the way we open front door burglary out. Such design may be helpful in situation like this

When it’s extremely compulsory to have metal protectors, I made it openable (bi-folding)

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 8:15am On Jan 22, 2021
chuksbogus2001:

I am ready to tear it down . If professionals were of the openion that it's not good.

OGA sir, asthetics is a matter of choice as long as you use quality materials and good installer. don't tear your roof down because of any critics ooo... lolz...the roof look good on your build..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:20am On Jan 22, 2021
megacontrol:
Hmm, I have never thought about the functionality of the terrace in that way.

Unfortunately, that's one of the features that gets sacrificed first once cost cutting becomes necessary.

We have knocked it off from recent and future builds. now have to rethink that.

thanks

edit: we never use burglary on upper floors and its optional on ground floors, completely up to the end user.

I have 6 exits in my personal build and you won’t feel insecure. 4 on the ground floor and 2 on the upper floor.

We need to rethink indoor-outdoor connection in our builds.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:23am On Jan 22, 2021
megacontrol:
Guys,

Which one of 3/4" or 3/4" down granite is more suited for 175mm slab casting and why?

I am considering using the 3/4" due to the high volume involved as that will consume less qty, are there other considerations i should be looking at?

thanks

grin

Working with 3/4 is very difficult though. I hate it. Workers and even machines hate it.

I love 3/4 down.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:24am On Jan 22, 2021
Hello,

Don't get too worked up about origin of the masons you need, rather focus on who can deliver a good plastering job for you.

Also, those guy you are keen on using come with their own issues. it could be a pain to (micro)manage them and they are not cheap anymore like before, especially those working in select locations in Lagos.

A neighbor brought in guys from Ibadan for a large job and I've observed their work is also very neat and speed commendable.

Shop around you for locals and check out their previous jobs.

DancingSkeleton:
The next phase of my project is plastering, is there anyone than can help me locate or contact those Togolese or Cameroonian laborers in Benin City? I heard they do it better, Thanks

DancingSkeleton:
Thanks is he Cameroonian or Togolese? they’ll start working by next week if possible

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:26am On Jan 22, 2021
chuksbogus2001:

It’s too high but don’t waste the money. Get creative and build something inside the roof.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:27am On Jan 22, 2021
Carmal90:
Hello all,

I am at roofing stage now and I practically don't know much about the aluminium roof to go for...
Pls help your boy

Attached is quotation submitted by one of the carpenter for the woodwork and zinc pan

THERE'S A MISTAKE IN THE CALCULATION, it should be 415k from what's written on the paper...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:28am On Jan 22, 2021
for real? na wa oh.

n3xt:

grin

Working with 3/4 is very difficult though. I hate it. Workers and even machines hate it.

I love 3/4 down.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:32am On Jan 22, 2021
megacontrol:
for real? na wa oh.

Buy 3/4” and 1/2” and see which gets finished first. It’s easier packing 1/2” and 3/4” down than packing 3/4.

Your shovel will only pickup few pieces grin

It takes longer time to finish your casting when using those big stones.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:33am On Jan 22, 2021
n3xt:

grin

I love 3/4 down.

Instead of answering his question - you ended up creating more confusion for megacontrol

every granite stone size has its use, for heavy duty slab (factory, machine, bakery etc) use 3/4 whether any1 hates it or not is irrelevant.

for residential homes, use 3/4 down because you wld likely use it for columns also...... and for columns, 1/2 inches are more appropraite..

for filling station and related floors - na rocks ooh

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:42am On Jan 22, 2021
saydfact:

Instead of answering his question - you ended up creating more confusion for megacontrol

every granite stone size has its use, for heavy duty slab (factory, machine, bakery etc) use 3/4 whether any1 hates it or not is irrelevant.

for residential homes, use 3/4 down because you wld likely use it for columns also...... and for columns, 1/2 inches are more appropraite..

for filling station and related floors - na rocks ooh

You’re very correct baba.

I didn’t even check it was a 175mm job.

@megacontrol Stay with 3/4” and put more loaders.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:44am On Jan 22, 2021
n3xt:

thanks - that's why you're boss grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 8:48am On Jan 22, 2021
DancingSkeleton:
The next phase of my project is plastering, is there anyone than can help me locate or contact those Togolese or Cameroonian laborers in Benin City? I heard they do it better, Thanks

Benin republic guy Taiye: 08109496272.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by soonest(f): 8:50am On Jan 22, 2021
GoodFaith:

call senun 08109496272
oh boy I am supplying you information
you go pay
I left him a voice mail to expect you call
They are likely busy because i gave his phone to a lady at Nairaland
The Lady said he came from warri to give her price
Yea he was fully booked but will be free by this weekend. Nice guy he is. Thanks so much
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 9:09am On Jan 22, 2021
Johnyjustcome:
Hi everyone,
I feel like I am blessed to found this thread.
I am planning 4 flats of 3 bedrooms for each property (2 flats up & 2 flats down.) Pls, I need your advice. How much do you think this will cost? from foundation to the lintel, Decking, and top building with a roof. This is located in Ibadan

Please help, I just wanna know what I am about to put myself into.
Thanks, folks.

Well, let's say 60m max.
Your finishes depend largely on what you spend.
OAK Group can help you work on your budget for great Architectural designs and building constructional work.
We reside in Ibadan
08108408732 call/WhatsApp.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 9:10am On Jan 22, 2021
thanks guys.

saydfact:

n3xt:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 9:12am On Jan 22, 2021
As you build, plan for your electricity as well. Make use of this solar Sizing Calculator and plan your setup like a pro. No more guess work.

https://www.kobocity.com/p/10-solar-sizing-calculator

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:22am On Jan 22, 2021
saydfact:

Oga why na?

We reserved a frontrow seat for you at kobocity.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 9:24am On Jan 22, 2021
megacontrol:
Guys,

Which one of 3/4" or 3/4" down granite is more suited for 175mm slab casting and why?

I am considering using the 3/4" due to the high volume involved as that will consume less qty, are there other considerations i should be looking at?

thanks

size of aggregate use is always determine by the clear cover of your structural member , check your general note you will notice the size of aggregate for each structural member..

in most cases we use 20mm coarse aggregate after factoring the cover after placing your rebar(iron) for you not to high have pores which leads to weaker members at times...

contractor then prefer to go for lesser size for some reason clean job because of workability problem with higher size of granite, when they use this granite size it makes them save in labor cost due to time and more job recommendation because you see everything when the formwork is removed comes clean ..

in your own case for now any structural discussion one have to have a clear scope of work before giving advise
do you have beams you want to cast together with this slab and what size is the width and how many number of reinforcement do u have at top and btm .

how close are you to a fire station ?
purpose of structure?

for you to have a 175mm slab we may likely say deflection plays a major role in your build also .. in any ways pay attention to workability and don't go and cast grade 15 in the name of making concrete workable.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timberwolves(m): 9:31am On Jan 22, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 10:16am On Jan 22, 2021
Thanks a lot.

You've also touched on very cogent points, most are already covered in our structural plan and therefore already considered.

The reason I asked that specific question is that even when the plan states a cover of 20mm (i.e. 0.78"wink and you translate that to granite sizes, it appears to me like both 3/4 and 3/4 down qualify since that's 0.75" when converted.

All points considered, we will go with 3/4" (0.75"wink for this particular slab.

Just for the sake of learning... what is the 3/4" down granite size commonly referred to as in mm? also 20mm (since it is smaller than the 3/4)?

Cheers.

Amastermovic:

size of aggregate use is always determine by the clear cover of your structural member , check your general note you will notice the size of aggregate for each structural member..

in most cases we use 20mm coarse aggregate after factoring the cover after placing your rebar(iron) for you not to high have pores which leads to weaker members at times...

contractor then prefer to go for lesser size for some reason clean job because of workability problem with higher size of granite, when they use this granite size it makes them save in labor cost due to time and more job recommendation because you see everything when the formwork is removed comes clean ..

in your own case for now any structural discussion one have to have a clear scope of work before giving advise
do you have beams you want to cast together with this slab and what size is the width and how many number of reinforcement do u have at top and btm .

how close are you to a fire station ?
purpose of structure?

for you to have a 175mm slab we may likely say deflection plays a major role in your build also .. in any ways pay attention to workability and don't go and cast grade 15 in the name of making concrete workable.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jeffdaniel(m): 10:21am On Jan 22, 2021
chuksbogus2001:

I am ready to tear it down . If professionals were of the openion that it's not good.

I understand you bro, I always asked them at my site to tear down whatever doesn't look appealing to me. We are at the stage of plastering and I have asked them to stop until i physically visit the site and remodel the spaces to my taste.

Am not a fan of high roof. I told my carpenter to do 14fts and he wanted to impress me, he did 16fts, by the time I woke up and receive pictures of what they've done. I told him to remove it, see pics below.

Anyways, the hight of your kingpost should be about 18 to 20ft. And it doesn't look bad though. Will advice you to leave it or follow @ n3xt advice if workable.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 10:32am On Jan 22, 2021
HURRY!! GET YOURS NOW !!!

SCHNEIDER 1.5KVA 24V (1000w solar input) pure sine wave inverter ..... 80,000

SOROTEC 3KVA TLREVO VMII 3KW 24V - 100A MPPT ... 220,000

SOROTEC 5.5KVA TLREVO VMII 5.5KW - 48V - 100A MPPT .... 260,000

SOROTEC 5.5KVA TL PREVO VMII 5.5KW - 48V - 100A MPPT (PARALLEL) ...270,000

SOROTEC WIFI MODULE
WIFI MONITORING ROD ... 28,000

German Phocos 5kw 48v - 80A MPPT .... 590,000

Axpert 3kw -24V - 40A MPPT ... 175,000

VOLTRONIC 3KVA - VM - TL
AXPERT VM 3000 - 24V - 1500W MPPT 60A ... 215,000

VOLTRONIC 5KVA - VM - TL
AXPERT VM 5000 - 48V - 3000W MPPT 60A ... 290,000

VOLTRONIC 5KVA - VM III - TL
AXPERT VM III 5000 - 48V - 5000W MPPT 80A ... 300,000

VOLTRONIC 5KVA - MKS - TL
AXPERT MKS 5000 - 48V - 4000W MPPT 80A ... 340,000

VOLTRONIC 5KVA - MKS III - TL
AXPERT MKS III 5000 - 48V - 4000W MPPT 80A ... 370,000

VOLTRONIC 7.2KVA - MAX - TL
AXPERT Max 7200 - 48V (P) - 8000W MPPT 80A .... 500,000

VOLTRONIC WIFI MODULE
WIFI CONNECTIVITY MODULE ...... 29,000

VOLTRONIC PARALLEL KIT
PARALLEL CONNECTION KIT .... 30,000

GROWATT 3KVA TL KVA 24V HV3M-50A MPPT .. 240,000

GROWATT 5KVA TL5KVA 48V HVM-P-80A MPPT .. 370,000

GROWATT 5KVA TL5KVA 48V HVM WPV P-100A MPPT ... 385,000

GROWATT 6KVA T6KVA 48V HVM TRANS -80A MPPT ... Out of stock

GROWATT 8KVA T8KVA 48V HVM TRANS -120A MPPT ... Out of stock

GROWATT 10KVA T10KVA 48V HVM TRANS -120A MPPT .. Out of stock

GROWATT 12KVA T12KVA 48V HVM TRANS -120A MPPT ... out of stock

EPEVER 5KVA 5KVA 48V 80A MPPT PV200V ... 350,000

USA TROJAN 12v 205A battery .... 195,000

USA TROJAN 12v 170a Flooded battery ... 95,000

Vision 200AH 12V Battery .. 125,000

BATTERY BALANCER 48V .... 35,000

BATTERY DESULFATOR/REJUVENATOR REJUVENATOR 12V, 24V, 36V, 60V, 72V ... 35,000

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP ONLY::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:38am On Jan 22, 2021
megacontrol:
Thanks a lot.

You've also touched on very cogent points, most are already covered in our structural plan and therefore already considered.

The reason I asked that specific question is that even when the plan states a cover of 20mm (i.e. 0.78"wink and you translate that to granite sizes, it appears to me like both 3/4 and 3/4 down qualify since that's 0.75" when converted.

All points considered, we will go with 3/4" (0.75"wink for this particular slab.

Just for the sake of learning... what is the 3/4" down granite size commonly referred to as in mm? also 20mm (since it is smaller than the 3/4)?

Cheers.

You can use 3/4" down for your slab beams and the normal 3/4 for your slab floor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 10:44am On Jan 22, 2021
New arrival (in stock)Spanish tiles,30*60 and carara white 60*60
TELL:09077504287,07062955047
Agric market Odun-ade �

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 11:10am On Jan 22, 2021
All available for sale ...

Programmable Timer .... 10,000
Programmable AVR ....... 12,000
DC SPD ........ 12,000

We also have this available:
-63a din rail mount changeover
-kill-a-watts energy monitor meter
-TOCT1 25a Contactor
-DC Breakers
-10a 12/24v solar charge controller
-MC4 connectors
-2 & 3 way MC4 connectors
-Pure copper armoured solar cables ranging from 4mm² , 6mm² , 10mm²
-solar charge regulators
-Batteries
-Solar panels
-Solar roof mounts
-Battery racks
-Power inverters etc

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 11:16am On Jan 22, 2021
megacontrol:
Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Ok i will explain
the 20mm for maximum aggregate size is no 6 in the general note you uploaded ..I did not use cover to determine this .you will notice the cover for your foundation , beam, column , are all different because this are major element as an example

the reaction of the soil can have some great impacts on the concrete which may attack your rebar and this will lead to loss of strength, this cover is determine by ground conditions

for column/beam etc weather condition and fire rating to protect the reinforcement one of the advantages of concrete building though..

i think 3/4'" down should be in the range of 3/4"' to 1/2" sieve varying . I stand to be corrected though

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yungmin: 11:20am On Jan 22, 2021
therealMcCain:
Just Read about a tragedy, a wife and 2 kids died in a fire incident, it was alleged they were trapped in the building. Burglary proof prevented their escape.

What's the way around this to achieve this "security" and same time not impede emergency exit should the need arise?

Having a main entrance and back/side entry into a house sufficient or there are better ways to achieve this?

What happened to the doors?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 11:28am On Jan 22, 2021
Gud morning , and happy weekend here ,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 11:46am On Jan 22, 2021
chuksbogus2001:

The issue is not the height. The error is in the design. You are trying to merge the bungalow side with the narrow two-floor side. If u are ready to tear it down then consult a good architect for a better design.
A roof is not just a cover.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1939) (1940) (1941) (1942) (1943) (1944) (1945) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.