Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,686 members, 7,831,126 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1957) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4433102 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1954) (1955) (1956) (1957) (1958) (1959) (1960) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 12:26pm On Jan 28, 2021
Focusmind:

It is the signature of every Nigerian architect - High roof and two front pillar - designed houses

This is a joke abi Chief, don't let us sue you Oh. Clients decide alot when it comes some stages like this, so please don't generalize oh.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 12:32pm On Jan 28, 2021
Focusmind:

My apologies. But you will agree with me that the design is a common Nigerian Architects' signature.

What about flat and contemporary roofs? We miss Skimanski, darlynx, I hope I go the moniker right and other architects that gives modern designs.

I know it will always boils down to clients' choice. The architect should also educate the client on modern designs.

Many replicated designs are out there and one factor I know lead to this is clients negotiating drawings like tomatoes in the market and some architects out of no choice will collect it and won't bother to do a new drawing due to the fee paid and will just amend an old drawing to suit the site likewise many town planners now give drawings out from their archive to a junior staff to reproduce for people a very low cost which people are now opting for likewise.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:34pm On Jan 28, 2021
megacontrol:
You deliver one of the best, if not the best, plastering jobs on display here.
I'm hoping we can sub-contract plastering stage to you in future jobs given our unpleasant experience managing a crew the last time around.

keep it up.

Thanks chief
We are trying to see how we can reduce uses of outside screeding for the purpose of wall (smoothing) in most of our work to save clients some cost. Unless if it’s for another purpose.
Bcs I can see that most screeding now is to correct walls that are not well plastered.

And come to think of it, you hardly see such in old building and there wall finishings are superb.

Here are some pics of our diff site location plastering work.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 12:35pm On Jan 28, 2021
POSTING/UPDATING SOME RECENT RENEWABLE ENERGY PRODUCTS DEVELOPMENTS

- Quanta "white carton" just launched a new product packaging as seen in snapshot below

- Luminous company discontinued importation & sales of blue carton 200a lead acid batteries since 2019 till date as seen in recent company chat snapshot below

*Avoid being misinformed!
*Avoid rebranded or substandard products as they
rarely come with official signed warranties nor
stamp
*Deal with a reliable / trusted source

Dekka ain't same with Deka
Quanta ain't same with Lantan
Rebranding is fraud and shouldn't be encouraged

These clone artists have gone a step further with exact prints; cartons, logos you name it.
Luminous blue, sukam, ritar, hoppeke AGM batteries now never goes outta stock go be factual.

For concrete information on renewable energy products , purchase & installations

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 12:36pm On Jan 28, 2021
bixton:

1.5 plot should do.
2 plot would be better.

2plot 100 by 100 right??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 12:39pm On Jan 28, 2021
n3xt:

You don’t have to live in Ogun state to apply but you might need to pay tax here because it’s part of the requirement though not compulsory when you’re picking up the form.

The form is N5k. The cost of logistics is N5k (not compulsory if you can handle it yourself).

But I would still have to pay tax at the end of the day even though I don't live there? Is this how it works?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:41pm On Jan 28, 2021
rotecch77:

Thanks chief
We are trying to see how we can reduce uses of outside screeding for the purpose of wall (smoothing) in most of our work to save clients some cost. Unless if it’s for another purpose.
Bcs I can see that most screeding now is to correct walls that are not well plastered.

And come to think of it, you hardly see such in old building and there wall finishings are superb.

Sweet like potato cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:46pm On Jan 28, 2021
somehow:

But I would still have to pay tax at the end of the day even though I don't live there? Is this how it works?

I have to find out but most of the people who have this form aren’t living in Nigeria let alone Ogun state and 3 years tax in Ogun state is nothing big.

I specifically asked about it before obtaining the form and I was asked to proceed without worries. In case they ask for it, I’m sure 200k - 300k or thereabout won’t be a big problem.

I can easily take that as cost of fencing or drawing a plan and obtaining approvals for the building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 12:55pm On Jan 28, 2021
vickzie:
45k for a duplex with (A.S.E.M), ok o, I rather do it free of charge and have peace of mind than go that low, how much does it cost to print, bind and stamp 4 copies. well....

That's how copy and paste drawings circulate round with bad design cause no Architect will charge you that amount for a four bedroom duplex with seal and stamp with a great design and concept.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:03pm On Jan 28, 2021
n3xt:

Sweet like potato cool

Thanks chief
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 1:36pm On Jan 28, 2021
Okay sir. How did you/do I get the form?

n3xt:

I have to find out but most of the people who have this form aren’t living in Nigeria let alone Ogun state and 3 years tax in Ogun state is nothing big.

I specifically asked about it before obtaining the form and I was asked to proceed without worries. In case they ask for it, I’m sure 200k - 300k or thereabout won’t be a big problem.

I can easily take that as cost of fencing or drawing a plan and obtaining approvals for the building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:47pm On Jan 28, 2021
somehow:
Okay sir. How did you/do I get the form?

You can get through me or go to the Conference Room, Ministry of Housing, Ogun state. There are many others here who have done this through me.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 2:03pm On Jan 28, 2021
abcivilengr:
Have anyone here ever done a cantilever slab of about 2m and also loaded... I need clues on the safety

1.85m or so SAFETY CONSIGN
Take note of all loads acting on it and if there's any partition on such slab it must be account for ..
if a partition is not on the architectural drawing pls assume there's and load the edge of the cantilever because the design maybe review during construction
The detailing aspect is crucial the tension bar should be return by 1.5L of the cantilever span..
Its safe and possible when design properly..

cost wise
If you not really comfortable with it and wall load will be aligned to the edge use upstand beam this will reduce the depth of the slab and other sections because initially u will have a dipper beam section to counter the effect of the cantilever.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 2:09pm On Jan 28, 2021
n3xt:

You can get through me or go to the Conference Room, Ministry of Housing, Ogun state. There are many others here who have done this through me.

I will chat you up

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 4:11pm On Jan 28, 2021
rotecch77:

Thanks chief

Sincerely, @rotecch77 owe me one build at least. cheesy cheesy grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 4:26pm On Jan 28, 2021
folmus:

Sincerely, @rotecch77 owe me one build at least. cheesy cheesy grin

Amen.
I will be waiting for the call in the nearest future.
Thanks baba
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jan 28, 2021
bixton:

1.5 plot should do. 2 plot would be better.
thanks sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:09pm On Jan 28, 2021
scolexboss77:

thanks sir

You can also have a perfect 5 bedroom on a standard one plot with ample space.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 5:26pm On Jan 28, 2021
Horlardorjah:

This is a joke abi Chief, don't let us sue you Oh. Clients decide alot when it comes some stages like this, so please don't generalize oh.

Shebi u no see my apologies before? grin

I know say na clients dey decide.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 5:34pm On Jan 28, 2021
n3xt:

You can also have a perfect 5 bedroom on a standard one plot with ample space.
Sure.
@amosbliz
The greatest determinant is just the shape of the land. A plot of land could have a great rectangular shape, it can also be badly shaped that it will not contain anything great.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 5:45pm On Jan 28, 2021
uncleteeh:

Sure.
@amosbliz
The greatest determinant is just the shape of the land. A plot of land could have a great rectangular shape, it can also be badly shaped that it will not contain anything great.

Like this

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 5:57pm On Jan 28, 2021
Focusmind:

Shebi u no see my apologies before? grin

I know say na clients dey decide.

Lol
Don't mind me jawe Chief, the two columns infuriates me alot too heh. Like can't we do better than this nah
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:57pm On Jan 28, 2021
rotecch77:

Like this

This ke? @uncleteeh can tell you we’ve seen far worse on kobocity.com

See this... I have to give kudos to the architect who worked on this plot.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 6:22pm On Jan 28, 2021
Please how much is the current price of 30 tonnes of filling sharp sand ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BadSamaritan(m): 6:30pm On Jan 28, 2021
Where exactly in Orlu, please. Any recommendation?

spyder880:
Cement prices in some parts of the east today.

Enugu N2,800
Awka N2,800
Ekwulobia N2,800
Umunze N2,900
Orlu N2,850
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 6:34pm On Jan 28, 2021
My people, I need your opinion as we are in decision stage.

My build is a 4 -bedroom duplex in front (3-bedroom up and 1-bedroom down) and a 3- bedroom duplex at the back (2- bedroom up and 1- bedroom downstairs)

I intend renting out the back for an initial period and would later repurpose it as a daycare/preschool - this would be after some years and after the first tenant may have vacated.

We may likely commence interior works for the buildings once the funds are available and I have been advised to go directly with designing and setting the back build as daycare/preschool immediately instead of putting it for outright renting and coming back later to repurpose it for crèche business, which is the final ultimate goal of the build.

We were told to forget about renting it out if the final intention was to still make it a preschool. My woman has already bought the idea but I told her that school takes time to mature and you may continue to incur costs running it in years to come. I would prefer outright renting for the main time, as the rent may likely fetch a reasonable sums based on the annual rental charge within that estate and neighborhood. Then in years to come, we may consider repurposing it for preschool and crèche uses, respectively.

What do you suggest? Our business minded folks like n3xt, EgunMogaji and other key guys, please what is/are your take on these two options?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:00pm On Jan 28, 2021
Focusmind:
My people, I need your opinion as we are in decision stage.

My build is a 4 -bedroom duplex in front (3-bedroom up and 1-bedroom down) and a 3- bedroom duplex at the back (2- bedroom up and 1- bedroom downstairs)

I intend renting out the back for an initial period and would later repurpose it as a daycare/preschool - this would be after some years and after the first tenant may have vacated.

We may likely commence interior works for the buildings once the funds are available and I have been advised to go directly with designing and setting the back build as daycare/preschool immediately instead of putting it for outright renting and coming back later to repurpose it for crèche business, which is the final ultimate goal of the build.

We were told to forget about renting it out if the final intention was to still make it a preschool. My woman has already bought the idea but I told her that school takes time to mature and you may continue to incur costs running it in years to come. I would prefer outright renting for the main time, as the rent may likely fetch a reasonable sums based on the annual rental charge within that estate and neighborhood. Then in years to come, we may consider repurposing it for preschool and crèche uses, respectively.

What do you suggest? Our business minded folks like n3xt, EgunMogaji and other key guys, please what is/are your take on these two options?

grin grin

Big Boss!

I hope madam already have a formal training.

If no, let her get started as soon as possible. It takes 6 months.

If yes, proceed to the next step. Commence plans for the crèche, It doesn’t take long time to get the business off ground.

I’d do anything to make my madam happy. This is one of it.

We started ours during the last quarter of 2020 and we already had 2 classes filled. It actually cost us some money but it’s worthwhile cos that what madam love.

Between last October and this moment, we’ve realized what we’d have charged for rental of the property from tuition fees paid.

I’m already considering repurposing the whole house for this project because everyone who visit the school loved it at first sight.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Paras011: 7:10pm On Jan 28, 2021
Why you Need Corrosion-resistant TMT Iron Rods for your Building

Why reinforced concrete corrodes

The strength of the larger parts of a structure is derived from the TMT iron rods that hold the concrete firm. Consequently, if local iron rods, which have low rust or corrosion resistance, are used to build a structure, especially in humid areas where weather conditions cause high level of corrosion, the entire structure is not safe.

Corrosion is a natural process that occurs when the iron rods used to reinforce concrete rust.

How corrosion occurs

Corrosion is an electrochemical process. It starts when certain materials, which are very harmful to iron rods, begin to penetrate reinforced concrete.

Electrons migrate from the anodic zone to the cathodic zone, releasing ferrous ions at the anode and hydroxide ions at the cathode. This leads to a potential difference between the anodic and cathodic areas at the surface of the steel reinforcement.

This results in the creation of rust. Rust causes the surrounding concrete to crack and become damaged. These cracks then make their way to the surface of the concrete which causes even more CO2 and chloride to penetrate the concrete and speed up the process of corrosion.

What corrosion-resistant TMT iron rods offer

The manufacturing process of Thermo-Mechanically-Treated (TMT) iron rods gives them enhanced rust and corrosion resistance. This is one of the reasons why they are better than local iron rods. TIGER TMT iron rods, the best TMT brand in Nigeria, have greater corrosion resistance because they have perfect chemistry and the right carbon content which make them to withstand rust and corrosion, and enhance total life of the structure from the time of construction.

Durability and longevity
Corrosion-resistant TMT iron rods will protect your building from corrosion whether or not you reside in areas with regular and high exposure to corrosion. This improves the longevity of the building.

Long-term financial benefits
The damage caused by corrosion needs a lot of repairs and maintenance to correct which will definitely cost you more. Constant repairs also reduce the lifespan of a building. A corrosion-resistant TMT iron rods guide against the losses that may be incurred due to the repairs.

Perfect ductility and strength
The unique manufacturing process of TMT iron rods gives them high yield strength and ductility that make your building withstand natural disasters and keep it strong for decades.

Peace of mind
Peace of mind and assurance come with the knowledge that your building is built with the best and high quality TMT iron rods. You will sleep with your eyes firmly shut knowing full well that your building is capable of standing the test of time.

Use TIGER TMT iron rods for all construction types

TIGER TMT iron rods have greater anti-corrosion properties than any other brand. This is enabled by the automated labs and the most modern testing equipment which are used to test the microstructure.

By resisting corrosion, TIGER TMT iron rods are able to bear huge load of a complete structure and protect it from spalling and cracking.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segzyfunmi: 7:34pm On Jan 28, 2021
n3xt:

grin grin

Tbh, your engineer will have serious issues with your approach to construction.

The information you shared above is incomplete and it seems to me you just want to prove the engineer is insincere at all cost.

If you don’t trust him, get someone else and build your house and stop acting construction police.

So far so good, the guy has not done anything wrong. He has stated his term of engagement and it’s you who can’t meet up.

At this point, I wan off mic.

I wonder if you truly understood my post. I'm shocked at your reasoning on this matter. Everything you wrote up here was just off course.

Firstly, what's my approach to construction?? There are experts on this forum and I've asked for their advice just so that I can have a balanced view.

Secondly, how did you arrive at the conclusion that I just want to prove the engineer is insincere?? Once again check every single post I've made and read to understand before stating your opinion. I mentioned that the drawings were not with me.

Lastly, I haven't said that the engineer has done anything wrong, neither have I said that we can't meet up. I just put up the post to seek expert's advice on the matter, and compare prices. Even you mentioned in one of your post that the owner should get at least 3 quotation and compare prices....how then don't you understand its all about expert's advice and price adjustment??

Pls always vet before you submit. Ensure you have understood before you comment.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:39pm On Jan 28, 2021
segzyfunmi:

I wonder if you truly understood my post. I'm shocked at your reasoning on this matter. Everything you wrote up here was just off course.

Firstly, what's my approach to construction?? There are experts on this forum and I've asked for their advice just so that I can have a balanced view.

Secondly, how did you arrive at the conclusion that I just want to prove the engineer is insincere?? Once again check every single post I've made and read to understand before stating your opinion. I mentioned that the drawings were not with me.

Lastly, I haven't said that the engineer has done anything wrong, neither have I said that we can't meet up. I just put up the post to seek expert's advice on the matter, and compare prices. Even you mentioned in one of your post that the owner should get at least 3 quotation and compare prices....how then don't you understand its all about expert's advice and price adjustment??

Pls always vet before you submit. Ensure you have understood before you comment.

Sorry sir I misunderstood you. I hope you find answers to your questions.

Happy Building!

_________

Just so you know it sir, no builder has x-ray vision cool to determine cost of a building without a building plan/dimension or sketch. It just doesn’t make any sense!

That’s the thing you’re doing wrong.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 7:55pm On Jan 28, 2021
rotecch77:

Thanks chief

This would be very helpful to manage funds

(1) (2) (3) ... (1954) (1955) (1956) (1957) (1958) (1959) (1960) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dareh85, KEVIND and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.