Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1959) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4389795 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1956) (1957) (1958) (1959) (1960) (1961) (1962) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 7:08am On Jan 29, 2021
rotecch77:

Thanks chief
We are trying to see how we can reduce uses of outside screeding for the purpose of wall (smoothing) in most of our work to save clients some cost. Unless if it’s for another purpose.
Bcs I can see that most screeding now is to correct walls that are not well plastered.

And come to think of it, you hardly see such in old building and there wall finishings are superb.

Here are some pics of our diff site location plastering work.

I thought that screeding of external walls also brings out the smoothness and finess of paints. When walls are not screeded, the beauty of the final painting work tends not to be that smooth.

Screeding also helps to ward off retention of rain splashes on the wall. I stand to be corrected.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:54am On Jan 29, 2021
Focusmind:

I thought that screeding of external walls also brings out the smoothness and finess of paints. When walls are not screeded, the beauty of the final painting work tends not to be that smooth.

Screeding also helps to ward off retention of rain splashes on the wall. I stand to be corrected.
You are absolutely correct sir. However the wall may not be screeded if the plastering is smooth.
However, the wall would still need to be primed before painting.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Twostep: 8:34am On Jan 29, 2021
Please the granite and sharp sand? (30 tons each) Can you deliver to Ikotun and is delivery inclusive or what’s the charge like?

Chekitaut:
Cement ₦2,900/bag
30tons Granite is ₦160,000
30tons Sharp Sand is ₦80,000
Iron Rod is ₦265,000
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:45am On Jan 29, 2021
uncleteeh:

U too dey observe.
The building is at Iyana Adeoyo, Or Iyana anfani.
I used to see it before it got to this stage.
To me, the structure seems like a groove (a joint for palm wine and all sorts) to bring back memory of the olden days.

Oga mi, I’m a retiree. What else do I do with some of my time if not to poke nose? grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:00am On Jan 29, 2021
Focusmind:

No doubt about your post, you are very correct.
But what I’m trying to point out is that we can get our wall 70-80pec smooth without screeding.
What most people/ artisan believed now is that only screeding can make your wall smooth which is very wrong there poor handling of job make client believed them ( artisan).
More so you can get your paint well smooth without screeding, if your wall is nicely plastered coupled with prima as undercoat.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 9:03am On Jan 29, 2021
BRAND NeW USA TROJAN 6v 315a AGM Batteries available

Model: SAGM 06 315 Battery: AGM VRLA.
Maintenance Free Capacity: 6V 315Ah / 20Hr Rate.
Cyclic Use: 30% DOD - 3250.
cycles Cyclic Use: 50% DOD - 1750 cycles.
Dimensions (LxBxH): 296mm x 176mm x 347mm.
Terminal Height: 385mm.
Weight: 43kg.
Absorbtion Charge: 7.20V, Float charge: 6.75V.
Color: Maroon (case/cover).
Material: Polypropylene

Stock Quantity : 8 UNITS LEFT

Unit Price : 185,000

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP ONLY::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aqc11: 9:18am On Jan 29, 2021
Good morning sir
The cost of constructing a four bedroom parrapet (facial concrete ) in Nigeria ....pls i need breakdown for both material & labour
.......rough estimate. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 9:19am On Jan 29, 2021
rotecch77:

No doubt about your post, you are very correct.
But what I’m trying to point out is that we can get our wall 70-80pec smooth without screeding.
What most people/ artisan believed now is that only screeding can make your wall smooth which is very wrong there poor handling of job make client believed them ( artisan)
More so you can get your paint well smooth without screeding, if your wall is nicely plastered coupled with prima as undercoat.

Very well said!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 9:34am On Jan 29, 2021
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos(T&C applies) .

12v 200a ..... N16,000
12v 150a.......N12,000
12v 100a.......N8,000
2v 500a.......N5,500

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver .

Contact,
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 9:40am On Jan 29, 2021
gbadexy:

You are absolutely correct sir. However the wall may not be screeded if the plastering is smooth.
However, the wall would still need to be primed before painting.

Good points you and Rotech pointed out there. External screeding may skyrocket my costs equation. The primer mentioned here may be the choice now. The building is some how big and I may totally take out the screeding cost of external wall and prime it before painting. But internal screeding is a must sha. Nothing beats a well screeded, sand papered and well painted interior walls. smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:09am On Jan 29, 2021
Building without a plan or a cheap plan undecided

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 10:11am On Jan 29, 2021
Enyinne:
Crèche location plays a vital role , if u locate in an obscure area , just know that it will take alot of time to make tangible progress /profit . A similar thing hv played out of recent . A New building opposite my house was being rented 1.6m yearly for 3bedroom flat , the man hv rented 3 out 4 flats . The wife hv insisted opening a crèche in the 4th flats , after pleading with the woman to consider rental and collect 1.6m but she said she must open Creche . 5months down ,only 2kids are there . Everyone blames them for citing creche in such estate . Pls check ur location, the kind of people living there before taking such decision.

Hello Enyinne, I discussed these points you raised with her and her adviser, who happens to also owned a school. The adviser said that having 2pupils after 5months of starting a preschool/primary is not out of place. In her own case, she had just 7 people after 12 months (1 year) and then increased to 43 pupils and 11 toddlers after 5 years when she finally broke even.

Most times, you don't break even after starting a school and the break-even point is mostly after 5 years. Our experience with tenants in our current place is not encouraging her at all to rent the new apartment again to any one and she seems willing to wait out the gestation period of this school idea.

For me, I am not ready to wait out any shit as this builds has costs me a lot and if I should put a tenant there, the person must be thoroughly scrutinized and vetted to avoid any issue or willful default.

n3xt and EgunMogaji2 and other members, your inputs are still needed. MY sincere apologies to the whole members if I am diverting the intention of this thread away, which is not about school and business. Both we have seasoned analyst here, who have seen it all compared to other threads.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 10:12am On Jan 29, 2021
Enyinne:
Crèche location plays a vital role , if u locate in an obscure area , just know that it will take alot of time to make tangible progress /profit . A similar thing hv played out of recent . A New building opposite my house was being rented 1.6m yearly for 3bedroom flat , the man hv rented 3 out 4 flats . The wife hv insisted opening a crèche in the 4th flats , after pleading with the woman to consider rental and collect 1.6m but she said she must open Creche . 5months down ,only 2kids are there . Everyone blames them for citing creche in such estate . Pls check ur location, the kind of people living there before taking such decision.

Hello Enyinne, I discussed these points you raised with her and her adviser, who happens to also owns a school. The adviser said that having 2pupils after 5months of starting a preschool/primary is not out of place. In her own case, she had just 7 people after 12 months (1 year) and then increased to 43 pupils and 11 toddlers after 5 years when she finally broke even.

Most times, you don't break even after starting a school and the break-even point is mostly after 5 years. Our experience with tenants in our current place is not encouraging her at all to rent the new apartment again to any one and she seems willing to wait out the gestation period of this school idea.

For me, I am not ready to wait out any shit as this builds has costs me a lot and if I should put a tenant there, the person must be thoroughly scrutinized and vetted to avoid any issue or willful default.

n3xt and EgunMogaji2 and other members, your inputs are still needed. MY sincere apologies to the whole members if I am diverting the intention of this thread away, which is not about school and business. Both we have seasoned analyst here, who have seen it all compared to other threads.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 10:22am On Jan 29, 2021
"just start first with what you have and let's see how it goes..."
"shebi it's just a kobokobo bungalow? no need to pay plenty money for pros, we go run am for site"

n3xt:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:28am On Jan 29, 2021
n3xt:

What is this ?
Mogbee
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:33am On Jan 29, 2021
megacontrol:
"just start first with what you have and let's see how it goes..."
"shebi it's just a kobokobo bungalow? no need to pay plenty money for pros, we go run am for site"

Put wall here. Add pillar meji. Curve it small. grin grin

Is the room still small? Add 2 blocks. Reduce door....

We’re better than this!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:48am On Jan 29, 2021
Focusmind:

Hello Enyinne, I discussed these points you raised with her and her adviser, who happens to also owns a school. The adviser said that having 2pupils after 5months of starting a preschool/primary is not out of place. In her own case, she had just 7 people after 12 months (1 year) and then increased to 43 pupils and 11 toddlers after 5 years when she finally broke even.

Even in my estate where tenants are scrutinized by the home owners association and stringent conditions are attached to house rental, people still default.

I agree it takes time to break even but here’s what we did. We started small. You don’t have to go all out and put in all the monies at once.

When we wanted to start, some folks almost discouraged my wife with the it-takes-time-to-breakeven story. I told them “Whether we do it now or in a decade, it’ll still take time. We can solve this by giving time some time. Time heals everything. It’s our house and we aren’t paying rent to anyone. That’s a big plus!”

I personally hate tenancy issues (no pun intended) and avoid it at all cost so I’m just about the wrong person to support your move on this sir. grin

If the prospect is high around you, I’d suggest you support madam. I know it ain’t easy taking up another capital intensive project after your build..

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 11:07am On Jan 29, 2021
scolexboss77:
please how many plots of land will it take to build a 5 bedroom bungalow all en suite?

One plot will achieve that

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 11:08am On Jan 29, 2021
n3xt:

Put wall here. Add pillar meji. Curve it small. grin grin

Is the room still small? Add 2 blocks. Reduce door....

We’re better than this!

I beg I no fii laugh,
The 1 and the 2 line can crack someone ribs
Abeg..

Similar things someone posted yesterday that he used 20bags of cement to constructed a structure that consumed 2000 blocks:
From foundation to roof level.

I said how come, he boldly told me that some of us don’t know new technology on how to build with lesser materials.

Imagine
2000 blocks
Columns
Beams
German floor is there ooo

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 11:19am On Jan 29, 2021
n3xt:

I hope whomever was doing that was not trying to build a house.

Maybe a demo of some sort?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:51am On Jan 29, 2021
rotecch77:

I beg I no fii laugh,
The 1 and the 2 line can crack someone ribs
Abeg..

Similar things someone posted yesterday that he used 20bags of cement to constructed a structure that consumed 2000 blocks:
From foundation to roof level.

I said how come, he boldly told me that some of us don’t know new technology on how to build with lesser materials.

Imagine
2000 blocks
Columns
Beams
German floor is there ooo

Those folks fall into the class of “What do Builders really do?”

There are slap-and-fix houses and there’s home. It all boil down to owners choice.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 12:19pm On Jan 29, 2021
n3xt:

Even in my estate where tenants are scrutinized by the home owners association and stringent conditions are attached to house rental, people still default.

I agree it takes time to break even but here’s what we did. We started small. You don’t have to go all out and put in all the monies at once.

When we wanted to start, some folks almost discouraged my wife with the it-takes-time-to-breakeven story. I told them “Whether we do it now or in a decade, it’ll still take time. We can solve this by giving time some time. Time heals everything. It’s our house and we aren’t paying rent to anyone. That’s a big plus!”

I personally hate tenancy issues (no pun intended) and avoid it at all cost so I’m just about the wrong person to support your move on this sir. grin

If the prospect is high around you, I’d suggest you support madam. I know it ain’t easy taking up another capital intensive project after your build..

She so much believe in the prospect of this school thing. My greatest fear is sinking your fund in what the outcomes seems unknown. I bet you the promise of a fund assistance from a family friend in US is not going to be much. I know my family over there and money. There own aka-gum no be here. You will be shocked that the so called support may not even pass $1k or $2k and she seems so excited about the prospect of the so called support, thinking that it would be substantial.

That project will warrant paying people that will work for you for certain periods before the investments starts yielding result and as I mentioned, I am seriously fund-constrained to wait out except if a break through happens in the future. Why all these issue came up is because of the interior works of the building that may likely start. It is either we start with the interior designing of the building for school purpose or design it for tenant occupation. She still insists on the former. Though all the expenses on equipment and children's things will be on her own account.

I agree on the tenant issue, despite all the vetting and I don't know why it usually happens here. You will see someone doing very well and finds it difficult to meet his obligation to his landlord, thus seeing the landlord as an enemy, which I detest so much. The truth is that I still need to recoup some money, no matter how small.

Her adviser had already mentioned that since she is using her own building, the major cost, which is building has been taken care of. But these women don't understand that if you want to know the true financial position of your business, you need to amortized the supposed rent you are to pay for the building if it were to be rented.

Anyway, thanks so much. I appreciate. I may likely take up this with you off line not to derail the intention of this thread.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 12:22pm On Jan 29, 2021
n3xt:

Those folks fall into the class of “What do Builders really do?”

There are slap-and-fix houses and there’s home. It all boil down to owners choice.

Oga, make I take style dey save your pictures. Your pictures wey I don save for my laptop don plenty. Are the first and second pictures real or internet pictures? The last is clear. It is a real work, going by the wires seen there.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 12:29pm On Jan 29, 2021
@ n3xt Recent termination

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:54pm On Jan 29, 2021
Focusmind:

Oga, make I take style dey save your pictures. Your pictures wey I don save for my laptop don plenty. Are the first and second pictures real or internet pictures? The last is clear. It is a real work, going by the wires seen there.

All images are from construction projects in Lagos, Nigeria. When you do simple stuffs, your build will stand out.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 12:57pm On Jan 29, 2021
Available and Selling at discounted rate

Extend your batteries life span by an Extra year or more with a Battery Equalizer .. it does so by maintaining a voltage balance between your battery Bank cells .. Synchronising your batteries as one.. Your batteries get to work as a team thereby extending Overall performance and delivery Overtime

Available Options:
*Battery Equalizer 24V - Battery Voltage Balancer .. 20,000
*Battery Equalizer 48V - Battery Voltage Balancer ... 35,000

Device supports Gel / Flood / AGM / Lithium Battery

DC Breaker Accessories available
Single & double pole
40A DC MCB Circuit breaker
63A DC MCB Circuit breaker
125A DC MCB Circuit breaker

Also available are:
63vac Voltage protective devices
Battery desulphators
63a din rail Change overs
DC & AC Surge protectors
Pro solar roof mounts
MC4 , 2 way & 3 way solar panel Connectors
DC lcd meters etc

Contact,
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP ONLY::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:58pm On Jan 29, 2021
topsy23:
@ n3xt Recent termination

Oga @somehow

This izzit!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:06pm On Jan 29, 2021
Focusmind:

She so much believe in the prospect of this school thing. My greatest fear is sinking your fund in what the outcomes seems unknown. I bet you the promise of a fund assistance from a family friend in US is not going to be much. I know my family over there and money. There own aka-gum no be here. You will be shocked that the so called support may not even pass $1k or $2k and she seems so excited about the prospect of the so called support, thinking that it would be substantial.

That project will warrant paying people that will work for you for certain periods before the investments starts yielding result and as I mentioned, I am seriously fund-constrained to wait out except if a break through happens in the future. Why all these issue came up is because of the interior works of the building that may likely start. It is either we start with the interior designing of the building for school purpose or design it for tenant occupation. She still insists on the former. Though all the expenses on equipment and children's things will be on her own account.

I agree on the tenant issue, despite all the vetting and I don't know why it usually happens here. You will see someone doing very well and finds it difficult to meet his obligation to his landlord, thus seeing the landlord as an enemy, which I detest so much. The truth is that I still need to recoup some money, no matter how small.

Her adviser had already mentioned that since she is using her own building, the major cost, which is building has been taken care of. But these women don't understand that if you want to know the true financial position of your business, you need to amortized the supposed rent you are to pay for the building if it were to be rented.

Anyway, thanks so much. I appreciate. I may likely take up this with you off line not to derail the intention of this thread.

I understand you completely. What I've found out over the years is that women don't think the way we do. Don't be surprised the school might pick faster than imagine. Unlike men, women support themselves more on projects. I cannot count the number of my wife's friends helping to drive publicity.
They recently came up with a school bus idea and how they intend to fund it. I just went blank and mute. But in all, I am happier seeing her do what she really wanted.

While you're looking at recouping some funds, she's focused on something totally different - change of status (Proprietress/Directress).

I pray God will provide for you sir grin grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 1:08pm On Jan 29, 2021
n3xt:

Are they trying to build a fish?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:19pm On Jan 29, 2021
somehow:

Are they trying to build a fish?
It’s a concept build. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 1:28pm On Jan 29, 2021
n3xt:

I understand you completely. What I've found out over the years is that women don't think the way we do. Don't be surprised the school might pick faster than imagine. Unlike men, women support themselves more on projects. I cannot count the number of my wife's friends helping to drive publicity.
They recently came up with a school bus idea and how they intend to fund it. I just went blank and mute. But in all, I am happier seeing her do what she really wanted.

While you're looking at recouping some funds, she's focused on something totally different - change of status (Proprietress/Directress).

I pray God will provide for you sir grin grin

You know their way grin. She is using all her connection - church, alumni, choir group, town union, instagram and other social media as she is into online sales of wears. Even though the project has not started, she has drawn plan of action. I am just helpless in this situation as I wouldn't want to be an obstacle. But no matter how, if success locates her in that project, she must be paying me rent for that building no matter how small grin Na baba Ijebu I be.

The thing has just distorted my whole equation. My only consolation is if her project will be the solution to keeping off potential unruly tenant, no wahala. She wants to avoid tenant issues at all cost.

Any way, lets see how it goes. Bro, I appreciate you. Thanks for the heads up.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 1:36pm On Jan 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Oga mi, I’m a retiree. What else do I do with some of my time if not to poke nose? grin
Oga ké! Melo lára mi, I'm just a little boy growing up sir.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1956) (1957) (1958) (1959) (1960) (1961) (1962) ... (3667) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.