Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,346 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1958) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4442464 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1955) (1956) (1957) (1958) (1959) (1960) (1961) ... (3678) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 7:57pm On Jan 28, 2021
uncleteeh:

Sure.
@amosbliz
The greatest determinant is just the shape of the land. A plot of land could have a great rectangular shape, it can also be badly shaped that it will not contain anything great.

True that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:07pm On Jan 28, 2021
amosblisz:

This would be very helpful to manage funds

Yes it will save client some cost
You just need to add little to daily pay to worker with good expert supervision to achieve this.

This will save you about 250-300k to do outside wall screeding of a duplex.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 8:28pm On Jan 28, 2021
Crèche location plays a vital role , if u locate in an obscure area , just know that it will take alot of time to make tangible progress /profit . A similar thing hv played out of recent . A New building opposite my house was being rented 1.6m yearly for 3bedroom flat , the man hv rented 3 out 4 flats . The wife hv insisted opening a crèche in the 4th flats , after pleading with the woman to consider rental and collect 1.6m but she said she must open Creche . 5months down ,only 2kids are there . Everyone blames them for citing creche in such estate . Pls check ur location, the kind of people living there before taking such decision.
Focusmind:
My people, I need your opinion as we are in decision stage.

My build is a 4 -bedroom duplex in front (3-bedroom up and 1-bedroom down) and a 3- bedroom duplex at the back (2- bedroom up and 1- bedroom downstairs)

I intend renting out the back for an initial period and would later repurpose it as a daycare/preschool - this would be after some years and after the first tenant may have vacated.

We may likely commence interior works for the buildings once the funds are available and I have been advised to go directly with designing and setting the back build as daycare/preschool immediately instead of putting it for outright renting and coming back later to repurpose it for crèche business, which is the final ultimate goal of the build.

We were told to forget about renting it out if the final intention was to still make it a preschool. My woman has already bought the idea but I told her that school takes time to mature and you may continue to incur costs running it in years to come. I would prefer outright renting for the main time, as the rent may likely fetch a reasonable sums based on the annual rental charge within that estate and neighborhood. Then in years to come, we may consider repurposing it for preschool and crèche uses, respectively.

What do you suggest? Our business minded folks like n3xt, EgunMogaji and other key guys, please what is/are your take on these two options?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:59pm On Jan 28, 2021
Enyinne:
Crèche location plays a vital role , if u locate in an obscure area , just know that it will take alot of time to make tangible progress /profit . A similar thing hv played out of recent . A New building opposite my house was being rented 1.6m yearly for 3bedroom flat , the man hv rented 3 out 4 flats . The wife hv insisted opening a crèche in the 4th flats , after pleading with the woman to consider rental and collect 1.6m but she said she must open Creche . 5months down ,only 2kids are there . Everyone blames them for citing creche in such estate . Pls check ur location, the kind of people living there before taking such decision.

Very valid point here.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:04pm On Jan 28, 2021
Work in progress here

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 9:25pm On Jan 28, 2021
Enyinne:

Very valid points. The place is well built and inhabited. I still prefer the rented option but women no dey hear word grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by princenomics: 9:25pm On Jan 28, 2021
1. Please house how can i correct this crack on the wall. it is really giving me sleepless night.
2. i need advice on if i should mount a water tank scaffold or deck the kitchen roof to mount the tank

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 9:30pm On Jan 28, 2021
n3xt:

grin grin

Big Boss!

I hope madam already have a formal training.

If no, let her get started as soon as possible. It takes 6 months.

If yes, proceed to the next step. Commence plans for the crèche, It doesn’t take long time to get the business off ground.

I’d do anything to make my madam happy. This is one of it.

We started ours during the last quarter of 2020 and we already had 2 classes filled. It actually cost us some money but it’s worthwhile cos that what madam love.

Between last October and this moment, we’ve realized what we’d have charged for rental of the property from tuition fees paid.

I’m already considering repurposing the whole house for this project because everyone who visit the school loved it at first sight.

Kai, you will always represent. Very nice and clean. She wants to start off on it immediately because of a promise of fund and assistance from a friend in US.

However, I still maintain my position that renting out the apartment is still the best and not pre-school. Competition in that space is stiff. As for qualification, she has B.Ed qualification and social work training.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:37pm On Jan 28, 2021
n3xt:

My Oga, where’s my Christmas and New Year gift?
Make una come see oooo, my oga patapata dey call me oga... Issok grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:40pm On Jan 28, 2021
segzyfunmi:

Thanks. In that case, pls list your current price of 9" block, 50kg Dangote cement, 30tonnes granite, sharp sand etc
Cement ₦2,900/bag
30tons Granite is ₦160,000
30tons Sharp Sand is ₦80,000
Iron Rod is ₦265,000

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:17pm On Jan 28, 2021
Focusmind:

Kai, you will always represent. Very nice and clean. She wants to start off on it immediately because of a promise of fund and assistance from a friend in US.

However, I still maintain my position that renting out the apartment is still the best and not pre-school. Competition in that space is stiff. As for qualification, she has B.Ed qualification and social work training.
Thanks

Make her understand why starting off right away might not be the best option.

There are lots of thing that you need to take care of within the first year.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 10:19pm On Jan 28, 2021
rotecch77:

Yes it will save client some cost
You just need to add little to daily pay to worker with good expert supervision to achieve this.

This will save you about 250-300k to do outside wall screeding of a duplex.

I'll be ready to do this few months from now by God's grace.
I wanted to know if there's anything extra that will be added to the cement and plaster sand to give a very smooth like screeding wall to the uncorrected block work
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:19pm On Jan 28, 2021
It looks to be built from recycled pallet wood. I saw it briefly in traffic. I’ll stop by there soon for an in depth analysis.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:22pm On Jan 28, 2021
n3xt:

Very valid point here.

I concur.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:26pm On Jan 28, 2021
amosblisz:

I'll be ready to do this few months from now by God's grace.
I wanted to know if there's anything extra that will be added to the cement and plaster sand to give a very smooth like screeding wall to the uncorrected block work

Professional approach play here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:27pm On Jan 28, 2021
uncleteeh:

Sure.
@amosbliz
The greatest determinant is just the shape of the land. A plot of land could have a great rectangular shape, it can also be badly shaped that it will not contain anything great.

I love odd shaped lots.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amosblisz: 10:56pm On Jan 28, 2021
rotecch77:

Professional approach play here.
Hmmm �
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 11:48pm On Jan 28, 2021
amosblisz:

2plot 100 by 100 right??

Yes 100*100 ft in areas where a plot is 50*100 ft. In an area where a plot is 60*120 ft them it's higher.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 4:22am On Jan 29, 2021
My estate is well built at the heart of sangotedo but how many working class women are willing to drop off kids at crèche? Most having househelp will keep them at home until ready for kindergarten as cost of living is bitten hard on every Nigerian. Obtaining a Montessori training and educational training courses will pay her off at the long run and establishing preschool to primary classes than crèche. Patience is key in establishing such so to get it right once and for all .
Focusmind:

Very valid points. The place is well built and inhabited. I still prefer the rented option but women no dey hear word grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:21am On Jan 29, 2021
BadSamaritan:
Where exactly in Orlu, please. Any recommendation?

These prices were as at that day cement dropped in prices. The recent hike in prices happened on Tuesday due to what the dealers said were caused by official increase in the prices. They told me they got a memo. I bought yesterday for N3,000 in Anambra. I haven't been to Orlu this week to buy.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:24am On Jan 29, 2021
Good morning everyone. I have been mobilized by Oga Spyder880 to do 28ft tank stand.

Enjoy your day

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segzyfunmi: 5:24am On Jan 29, 2021
[quote author=n3xt post=98532198]

Sorry sir I misunderstood you. I hope you find answers to your questions.

Happy Building!

_________

Just so you know it sir, no builder has x-ray vision cool to determine cost of a building without a building plan/dimension or sketch. It just doesn’t make any sense!

That’s the thing you’re doing wrong.

Alright sir, thanks a lot for your contribution.

I'll get the drawings and upload. I was just trying to let you know that I had no issues whatsoever with the engineer unlike the way you thought....just that we felt we needed to compare the Engineer's quote with another person's own.

In every endeavor of life we need to sample opinions and always compare before arriving at our own conclusion.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:29am On Jan 29, 2021
michlins:
Good morning everyone. I have been mobilized by Oga Spyder880 to do 28ft tank stand.

Enjoy your day

Thanks Michlins, more jobs to follow, we will be needing some gates and possibly a fence rail in the coming days. You are doing well.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:58am On Jan 29, 2021
segzyfunmi:

Alright sir, thanks a lot for your contribution.

I'll get the drawings and upload. I was just trying to let you know that I had no issues whatsoever with the engineer unlike the way you thought....just that we felt we needed to compare the Engineer's quote with another person's own.

In every endeavor of life we need to sample opinions and always compare before arriving at our own conclusion.

Perfect! Share the plan.

Abeokuta is my hometown and I knew quite a number of construction professionals in the city. I’ve had experience working there and I also have teeaammms (you know what I mean) working on multiple projects that are ongoing.

Labour rate is quite cheap when compared with Lagos which is my actual base. Concrete workers (mostly female) charge between N1,500 - N2,000 (I gladly offer them more cos I respect hardworking ladies/women).

The hardest part of construction in the city is always the excavation so beware of online advices coming from those who have never built in the city before.
As a matter of fact, 95% of the crew I’m working with on my ongoing projects are from Abeokuta.

So share your plan and I’d be able to give you an option quote to work with. I also have access to tons of building materials suppliers who’d offer you the most competitive pricing.

Sorry I misconstrued your intentions.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:07am On Jan 29, 2021
Enyinne:
My estate is well built at the heart of sangotedo but how many working class women are willing to drop off kids at crèche? Most having househelp will keep them at home until ready for kindergarten as cost of living is bitten hard on every Nigerian. Obtaining a Montessori training and educational training courses will pay her off at the long run and establishing preschool to primary classes than crèche. Patience is key in establishing such so to get it right once and for all .

Experience and passion is key. Your points are very valid.

My wife got trained on infant-toddler/early childhood education with North American Montessori Center and Heritage House, Lagos.
So our focus is just on age 6 months -3 years for now. The experience is quite amazing.

At first, it seem the idea won’t fly but eventually it did. The growth was amazing and I was glad we actually had a better use for the large building and compound.
Even my one room tenant had a school that has grown into over 400 pupils within just 4 years.

I think starting a preschool in Nigeria has a lot to do with location. You must be in a location where such service is mostly required.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 6:17am On Jan 29, 2021
Enyinne:

Thank you Madam. Pre-school and primary classes are the main thing she wants to start. Creche is just an added services. The business plan is that some of the creche babies will later move to pre-school and primary.

Thanks for your insight
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 6:40am On Jan 29, 2021
rotecch77:

Like this
These shape is still good
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 6:41am On Jan 29, 2021
n3xt:

This ke? @uncleteeh can tell you we’ve seen far worse on kobocity.com

See this... I have to give kudos to the architect who worked on this plot.
Kai. This is serious o.
What kind of structure can be erected on this aside shops?
What about approval?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:52am On Jan 29, 2021
uncleteeh:

Kai. This is serious o.
What about approval?

Interestingly something good was eventually achieved after some tweak and twist.

It’s here https://www.kobocity.com/d/86-please-help-check-the-drawing

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 6:53am On Jan 29, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
It looks to be built from recycled pallet wood. I saw it briefly in traffic. I’ll stop by there soon for an in depth analysis.
U too dey observe.
The building is at Iyana Adeoyo, Or Iyana anfani.
I used to see it before it got to this stage.
To me, the structure seems like a groove (a joint for palm wine and all sorts) to bring back memory of the olden days.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 6:56am On Jan 29, 2021
uncleteeh:

Kai. This is serious o.
What about approval?
It can be done!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:59am On Jan 29, 2021
omanzo02:

It can be done!

We eventually got a 5 bedroom, 2 kitchen, 2 lounge, 2 dining and 6 toilets from the plot.

Everything was on a single floor and they’re all standard rooms.

Pic 1 - Main Flat

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1955) (1956) (1957) (1958) (1959) (1960) (1961) ... (3678) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: rotecch77(m), joycluv and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.