Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,894 members, 7,817,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2074) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391254 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2071) (2072) (2073) (2074) (2075) (2076) (2077) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by woles3435: 10:19am On Mar 25, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 10:20am On Mar 25, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 10:28am On Mar 25, 2021
Godisgreatest1:
Good afternoon all, please can a bungalow without pillars or columns carry a precast parapet? And also stone coated roofing sheets?
Always try to introduce columns to buildings, most especially if the blocks are bought.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:30am On Mar 25, 2021
sconp:
@chekitaut

Do you have any idea how possible it is to get 30ton trucks to make deliveries from Ogun to Calabar and the logistics involved?
I will advise you buy from abakaliki to calabar. It's very close.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:51am On Mar 25, 2021
stanley000:
yea it can, maybe add a floor it plus a gp tank grin lol like seriously cheesy

For this early morning?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 10:59am On Mar 25, 2021
FlappaNozzle:
My able and trusted professionals,

The recent rain that fell delt me a big blow. Water was entering into the main sitting room and the kitchen through the door of the ground floor apartment. Please how do I tackle this?. I have attached the picture of the house for you to have an idea of what I am saying.

Someone suggested a danpalon, please are there other ways I can prevent water ingress. I know the rain was very heavy but with all the shootouts I still can't understand how the water found its way into the house.

Please I need your help urgently. Abeg una

2 Questions Please!
The compound is usually filled with Water whenever it's raining?
Do you have proper Drainage outside your Building/in your neighbourhood?

The Professional builders in the house! Please kindly profer solutions to FlappaNozzle issues!

Cc
@Gbadexy
@Kopell
@Chekitaut
@Jasobry
@Uncleeteeh
@bixton
@BuildingProject
@Michilins
@Goodfaith
@Omonjoe
@sonni10
@n3xt
@rotecch77
@KolaShangOne
@Diordaves

*°•HTF•°*
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by woles3435: 11:42am On Mar 25, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Martini101(m): 11:50am On Mar 25, 2021
stanley000:
yea it can, maybe add a floor it plus a gp tank grin lol like seriously cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by stanley000: 11:59am On Mar 25, 2021
woles3435:

@stanley000

Check your email
good morning sir, i am sorry i no longer have access to my email, pls message me on lukad7832@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 12:04pm On Mar 25, 2021
FlappaNozzle:

The recent rain that fell delt me a big blow. Water was entering into the main sitting room and the kitchen through the door of the ground floor apartment. Please how do I tackle this?. I have attached the picture of the house for you to have an idea of what I am saying.

Someone suggested a danpalon, please are there other ways I can prevent water ingress. I know the rain was very heavy but with all the shootouts I still can't understand how the water found its way into the house.

Can you send a clearer picture? I wanna see the height of the entrance porch floor very well.
The direction of rain too can cause flooding if the doors don't seal up when closed.
If the entrance porch's height isn't defined from the floor of the the living room or kitchen. Na namaste ó.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 12:08pm On Mar 25, 2021
hamtabfawaz:

2 Questions Please!

The Professional builders in the house! Please kindly profer solutions to FlappaNozzle issues!

Cc
@Gbadexy
@Kopell
@Chekitaut
@Jasobry
@Uncleeteeh
@bixton
@BuildingProject
@Michilins
@Goodfaith
@Omonjoe
@sonni10
@n3xt
@rotecch77
@KolaShangOne
@Diordaves

*°•HTF•°*
There should be drainage (gutter) at the front of the house, the side that has the road. Therefore, the construction of the compound's floor should hav been done in a way that it will slope towards the drainage.
Note:
There are so many ways to drain water.

Na for portharcourt this kind thing dey happen, no gutter for road, them no get drainages at all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:34pm On Mar 25, 2021
uncleteeh:

There should be drainage (gutter) at the front of the house, the side that has the road. Therefore, the construction of the compound's floor should hav been done in a way that it will slope towards the drainage.
Note:
There are so many ways to drain water.

Na for portharcourt this kind thing dey happen, no gutter for road, them no get drainages at all.

You do not need to generalize about no drainage in Port Harcourt. You can mention the areas where such is if they are within urban areas or villages uplifted to be towns. grin ; grin

It's most likely the OPs issue is most likely as a result of wind action during rainfall.
If it goes through his window then the windows needs to be closed whenever it rains or when no one will be around in the house.
If the rain comes through the door beneath then he needs to put a wooden frame or do some sort of coverage in front of the door to prevent rain water seepage through that section.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 12:39pm On Mar 25, 2021
michlins:
I will advise you buy from abakaliki to calabar. It's very close.
bixton:

Are you for real....
Do you not know that there's a granite quarry in Cross-River State at where is called Akamkpa and it's not that far from Calabar.......
Chekitaut:
Our service is within the southwest state, Abuja, Rivers, Calabar. We don't go outside just within(intra).

Thanks for the suggestions but I am not looking at buying granite.

The trucks are not to convey granite.

If anyone has a contact or information for truck/trucking logistics for 30ton trucks I'd appreciate that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 1:02pm On Mar 25, 2021
Thanks
Chekitaut:
375hp manual injector
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 1:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
bixton:

Are you for real....
Do you not know that there's a granite quarry in Cross-River State at where is called Akamkpa and it's not that far from Calabar.......

Ebonyi state is closer
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sgtkole: 1:13pm On Mar 25, 2021
Planning ahead and leveraging on economies of scale is important.

I will contact you to rent formwork once the time is close.

BrabusNG:

In situation like this, I look for other areas to save without compromising on standards.

_______
Sometimes ago, I bought and prepared my 10mm stirrups (over 500 pcs) in Sagamu cos I got it cheaper there.

We recently did a similar thing for @folmus
His starter bars were prepared in Sagamu.

_______
Just this evening, I delivered Formwork for the casting of columns, beams, Lintels and slab at my ongoing project.

The intention is to eliminate the need to buy woods on the project. The savings can be channeled into something else.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 1:38pm On Mar 25, 2021
bixton:

Are you for real....

That's exactly where I bought from to do my Calabar Project last year.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 2:08pm On Mar 25, 2021
Granite Price
Abeokuta
24hrs Quarry & Kobape Quarry sell @₦4900/ton
Others sell @₦4,100/ton

Ijebu Ode & Ibadan Quarry
Price range from ₦3700-₦3900/ton

N.B. Transportation cost excluded

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:12pm On Mar 25, 2021
Jasobry:

Ebonyi state is closer

Are you sure.....
Using Google says
Akamkpa -Calabar.....1hr ++
Ebonyi-Calabar.......3hrs+++

Except if he is going to some neighbouring towns within Cross River sharing boundary with Ebonyi
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 2:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
Chekitaut:
Granite Price
Abeokuta
24hrs Quarry & Kobape Quarry sell @₦4900/ton
Others sell @₦4,100/ton

Ijebu Ode & Ibadan Quarry
Price range from ₦3700-₦3900/ton

N.B. Transportation cost excluded

Sharp sand to Imota?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 2:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
bixton:

Are you sure.....
Using Google says
Akamkpa -Calabar.....1hr ++
Ebonyi-Calabar.......3hrs+++

Except if he is going to some neighbouring towns within Cross River sharing boundary with Ebonyi

I mean rather than from Ogun State

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:18pm On Mar 25, 2021
FlappaNozzle:

I can tell you this is where “baba Lati” regular bricklayer / non building constructor/professionals guys usually get it wrong.

- from the pics the foundation is too low.
- tiling non technics allow the water to flow in
- Rising dampness ..... capillary action ( failure of dpm, or dpc or non of these done at the beginning)

I have solutions to any of these issue ( if you care)
It’s not something you can do through google or explanation here.

Site investigation is needed before someone can conclude the right solution to the problems

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:20pm On Mar 25, 2021
hamtabfawaz:

2 Questions Please!

Cc
@Gbadexy
@Kopell
@Chekitaut
@Jasobry
@Uncleeteeh
@bixton
@BuildingProject
@Michilins
@Goodfaith
@Omonjoe
@sonni10
@n3xt
@rotecch77
@KolaShangOne
@Diordaves

*°•HTF•°*

Replied now

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:37pm On Mar 25, 2021
rotecch77:

I can tell you this is where “baba Lati” regular bricklayer / non building constructor/professionals guys usually get it wrong.

- from the pics the foundation is too low.
- tiling non technics allow the water to flow in
- Rising dampness ..... capillary action ( failure of dpm, or dpc or non of these done at the beginning)

I have solutions to any of these issue ( if you care)
It’s not something you can do through google or explanation here.

Site investigation is needed before someone can conclude the right solution to the problems

Maybe you should have asked him more questions if his explanation was not clearly understood how the water got into the areas mentioned.....

Questions like......

1)If the water was coming from under the floor as a result of capillary action(rise in water beneath the floor)..........

2) If it was most likely caused as a result of the non slopped nature of the tiling job done not allowing water to flow outwards from the house rather than rather inwards to the house......

If I'm not mistaken the water in the areas mentioned is caused by rain water due to wind action.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:49pm On Mar 25, 2021
bixton:

Maybe you should have asked him more questions if his explanation was not clearly understood how the water got into the areas mentioned.....

Questions like......

1)If the water was coming from under the floor as a result of capillary action(rise in water beneath the floor)..........

2) If it was most likely caused as a result of the non slopped nature of the tiling job done not allowing water to flow outwards from the house rather than rather inwards to the house......

If I'm not mistaken the water in the areas mentioned is caused by rain water due to wind action.

I got him right from his statement
- there is dampness on the wall(I have stated possible causes)

- there is water flow in due to wind when it’s raining( tiling error)

So there are solution (I’m talking of permanent solution not try and error) to all these problems when site investigation done.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 4:02pm On Mar 25, 2021
sconp:
@chekitaut

Do you have any idea how possible it is to get 30ton trucks to make deliveries from Ogun to Calabar and the logistics involved?

What do you want to carry? There might be cheaper locations closer to you in terms of cost of logistics which you are not aware of.
Granite......Akamkpa, Abakilaka , Okigwe
Wood....... Akamkpa. Oban, Sapele
Cement.... Calabar
Rod ..... Ontisha, Nnewi ,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 4:41pm On Mar 25, 2021
sonnie10:

What do you want to carry? There might be cheaper locations closer to you in terms of cost of logistics which you are not aware of.
Granite......Akamkpa, Abakilaka , Okigwe
Wood....... Akamkpa. Oban, Sapele
Cement.... Calabar
Rod ..... Ontisha, Nnewi ,

Gypsum.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olukaygold(m): 5:01pm On Mar 25, 2021
Godisgreatest1:
Good afternoon all, please can a bungalow without pillars or columns carry a precast parapet? And also stone coated roofing sheets?
itd carry it without pillars if it's 9" blocks but if it's 6" block you used for the entire building,my brother no try it ooo

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:18pm On Mar 25, 2021
FlappaNozzle:

Apologies for the issue at hand....

Just a couple of questions.......asked/mentioned by others.....

Point A
1) Is it possible that the water seepage is going through the base of the door?
2) What's the base level of the door if it has a frame to the corresponding level of the other floor that's has been tiled?

Point B
1)Is the water passing through the window probably because it's open during high rainfall?

Generally......

1) Is the water seepage most likely through the outer wall gaining entrance into the building. If that's the case is there a water settlement on the interior wall of same side?
2) Is there any signs of water on the floor(s) internally due to rising water beneath your already installed floor tiles?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 5:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
olukaygold:
itd carry it without pillars if it's 9" blocks but if it's 6" block you used for the entire building,my brother no try it ooo

Ok, can I use 9" for the external walls. 6" for internal partitions? Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 5:58pm On Mar 25, 2021
BrabusNG:

In situation like this, I look for other areas to save without compromising on standards.

_______
Sometimes ago, I bought and prepared my 10mm stirrups (over 500 pcs) in Sagamu cos I got it cheaper there.

We recently did a similar thing for @folmus
His starter bars were prepared in Sagamu.

_______
Just this evening, I delivered Formwork for the casting of columns, beams, Lintels and slab at my ongoing project.

The intention is to eliminate the need to buy woods on the project. The savings can be channeled into something else.

When thses become available let me know for my Sagamu project lintels etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
MMotimo:
For those that work for their money:

On page 2070, I showed how you can do a search in this section. I would recommend add fraud after the username or add scam for example if a username is “oloriole” search for:

“Oloriole fraud”
“oloriole scam”

notice the space between the words.

This helps to narrow things down quite a bit. Assuming, of course, that the person has had an accusation. Some of your search results could simply be a person commenting on another’s fraud accusation so a search result does not mean the searched user ID was accused of fraud. Please read carefully. I saw some user IDs like that whose only connection was commenting on threads where someone else had been accused.

https://www.nairaland.com/3496421/estate-agent-docked-over-n5m/2#51567419

https://www.nairaland.com/3145372/good-recipe-building-success/1#81016338

MMotimo, I sincerely think it is now right to allow forum members to take personal responsibility in how they wish to contract and who they wish to contract with. As we say in Warri: You don try. What if, maybe, just maybe the Next of before, before has now grown into a man? There is a fine line between scrutiny and inquisition and persecution. So we don't fall foul of minting out jungle justice, please now let go. It is now a case of Kashimawo.

@Next: You must accept responsibility in all of these. The truth be told, it is not normal to have serial issues with a better part of your clientele here on Nairaland. There must be something you needed to work on. I've always held the view that, that 'something' is not fraud in the classical definition of fraud. That 'something' is Project Management skills. The Next of before, before lacked PM skills big time!!!. This was why I advised you years back to change tack. In my humble opinion, this was why you got into so many issues with your clients going back a number of years. But hey, headmaster was once a school boy. This could be your 'new dawn' if you've not already had it. Get all jobs done without issues! Have the presence of mind to engage professionals at the appropriate level. Ona kan o woja na him make tailor begin to sell efo. But this is not good enough. If you have a job that involves the design of a foundation, pan it out to the appropriate professional to avoid issues. Na where dem dey advise pickin wey get mama, na there orphan dey collect sense. All eyes on you.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2071) (2072) (2073) (2074) (2075) (2076) (2077) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Theanchor and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.