Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,571 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2075) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391102 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2072) (2073) (2074) (2075) (2076) (2077) (2078) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mosefin19(m): 6:15pm On Mar 25, 2021
mosefin19:
Pls I just wanna start foundation on my half plot of land and this is what is given to me for the foundation I wanna ask if it’s okay.... I already have 1.5million to spend on the land now and I hope it can go far a little bit

Someone should reply me pls
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 6:39pm On Mar 25, 2021
mosefin19:

If it's a dry land, 1.5 million can do the foundation but if it's a swamp area that involving a pile foundation, u will spend up to 2 million for foundation excluding filling and German floor.

Good luck to you on ur project
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 6:53pm On Mar 25, 2021
@Nzubegod nzubegod

have replied your Mail.

*°•HTF•°*
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FlappaNozzle: 7:11pm On Mar 25, 2021
bixton:

Apologies for the issue at hand....

Just a couple of questions.......asked/mentioned by others.....

Point A
1) Is it possible that the water seepage is going through the base of the door?

2) What's the base level of the door if it has a frame to the corresponding level of the other floor that's has been tiled?

Point B
1)Is the water passing through the window probably because it's open during high rainfall?

Generally......

1) Is the water seepage most likely through the outer wall gaining entrance into the building. If that's the case is there a water settlement on the interior wall of same side?
2) Is there any signs of water on the floor(s) internally due to rising water beneath your already installed floor tiles?

Firstly thanks so much Bixton, and for everyone of you helping me to find a solution. I will answer all your questions one after the other...

From what I was told and video that was sent to me, cos I have not been there to see the extent of what happened. Water actually come through through the base of the door. It has nothing to do with the walls. You could literally see the water enter through the base of the door. I also noticed the door wasn't properly closed, all this China doors for exterior doors can be a nightmare.

So Bixton, it is not a case of water coming from the ground underneath the tiles, it is actually heavy rain, with immense wind forcing rain water into that region and causing water to enter that apartment through the base of the door frame.

Something important to note is that the base, floor is almost same level as the door, just the base of the door frame that helps elevates the door by few inches.

If you see from the picture, the base of that door frame is suppose to help but it's not. And that doors looks like it's just completely an open spree!

My surprise is even with the balcony(the shade), water still finds its way into the area...I am more than shocked.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:11pm On Mar 25, 2021
sconp:
@chekitaut

Do you have any idea how possible it is to get 30ton trucks to make deliveries from Ogun to Calabar and the logistics involved?

You want to haul Stones ogun to calabar
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olukaygold(m): 7:12pm On Mar 25, 2021
Godisgreatest1:

Ok, can I use 9" for the external walls. 6" for internal partitions? Thank you.
Absolutely Yes.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:17pm On Mar 25, 2021
michlins:
I will advise you buy from abakaliki to calabar. It's very close.

Calabar has more granite deposits than abakiliki.....he can buy cheap stones from netim or even buy washed gravel from nearby akwaibom
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:20pm On Mar 25, 2021
sconp:

Gypsum.

There is gypsum in abundant at Mmfamasig around Akamkpa and Oban axis. But I don't know if it is currently being mined. Why would you want to take it to Calabar when you can do your pop crushing site right there in Ogun. Transportation alone will eat into your margin. Except you intend to supply to cement company like Dangote and Calchem (former Calcemco) for their cement production.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 7:49pm On Mar 25, 2021
Good question tho...

Just couldn't get this image off my head the last few days/pages.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:11pm On Mar 25, 2021
mosefin19:

You'll need to upload your design plan of building to enable anyone render appropriate advice. Also be specific on type of build, nature of land, if possible ground level of site for building structure to existing road....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nosa111(m): 8:12pm On Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone. Please how much is a trip of sand now? Precisely in Benin city. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 8:41pm On Mar 25, 2021
Godisgreatest1:

Ok, can I use 9" for the external walls. 6" for internal partitions? Thank you.

Oga, if you can afford stonecoated roof then you can afford to put columns and lintel on your bungalow!
One length of rod will give you one column of 3m height. You can afford ten columns strategically located. I promise you that you will then sleep in peace. The fact that you are asking this question shows you are already worried about not using reinforced concrete columns.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 8:47pm On Mar 25, 2021
mosefin19:
Pls I just wanna start foundation on my half plot of land and this is what is given to me for the foundation I wanna ask if it’s okay.... I already have 1.5million to spend on the land now and I hope it can go far a little bit

Just start. Anywhere the money reach, pause and look for more money.
Just be on ground at ALL times. Buy materials yourself and monitor usage.
Na so we dey do am since 2019 and we are yet to reach lintel. Welcome to kobo kobo construction grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:49pm On Mar 25, 2021
bixton:

2) Is there any signs of water on the floor(s) internally due to rising water beneath your already installed floor tiles?

Before you’d notice this, things would have gone very bad.

This looks more like capillary action. The sandfilling of the compound and the installation of the interlocking stones seems to be a culprit here.
Higher ground level outside the building increased by flower beds and unplanned porches which takes the damp proof course above the ground level internally can also cause this.

Possible solutions includes (but not limited to):

- Sloping backfill around the building
- Installation of drainage mat and waterproof membrane around the foundation wall.
- Perimeter drainage
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mosefin19(m): 8:55pm On Mar 25, 2021
Aforxzy:

This quote is not detailed. Can u request for a detailed one and also include the drawing of your building.

This is it

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:56pm On Mar 25, 2021
folmus:

When thses become available let me know for my Sagamu project lintels etc

When you’re ready, kindly let me know. I have boards in Sagamu.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mosefin19(m): 8:58pm On Mar 25, 2021
coldcandy:

Just start. Anywhere the money reach, pause and look for more money.
Just be on ground at ALL times. Buy materials yourself and monitor usage.
Na so we dey do am since 2019 and we are yet to reach lintel. Welcome to kobo kobo construction grin

Bro abeg I no fit laugh��... you’re funny... lintel level since 2019... 9ja no easy.... but by the grace I should be able to finish it this yr... may God help me.... only one crypto coin can finish everything for me.... which am already working on.... a frnd of my build confirm 3bedroom bungalow in less than 3month... and all he spend then was 5milion am only 24 now b4 am 25 I should own a house... and beside what did u do for living ??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 8:59pm On Mar 25, 2021
n3xt:

Before you’d notice this, things would have gone very bad.

This looks more like capillary action. The sandfilling of the compound and the installation of the interlocking stones seems to be a culprit here.
Higher ground level outside the building increased by flower beds and unplanned porches which takes the damp proof course above the ground level internally can also cause this.

Possible solutions includes (but not limited to):

- Sloping backfill around the building
- Installation of drainage mat and waterproof membrane around the foundation wall.
- Perimeter drainage

I am not an Engineer but I think the OP made it clear that water was not coming from the ground or capillary action. It has to do with powerful wind pushing rain water towards the door areas. Since the there is so much gap between the base of the doors and the ground, rain water is finding its way into the house.
There should have been a little slopping at the door areas to allow reverse flow of water that may want to settle within the door areas or try to find its way. I think this is more of rain splashes than any foundation issue. There should not have been much gap between the base of the doors and the tiles

Where I stay now, during heavy rain with heavy winds, water splashes in the balcony and settles in the balcony, which are later mopped off.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
FlappaNozzle:

Firstly thanks so much Bixton, and for everyone of you helping me to find a solution. I will answer all your questions one after the other...

From what I was told and video that was sent to me, cos I have not been there to see the extent of what happened. Water actually come through through the base of the door It has nothing to do with the walls. You could literally see the water enter through the base of the door. I also noticed the door wasn't properly closed , all this China doors for exterior doors can be a nightmare.

So Bixton, it is not a case of water coming from the ground underneath the tiles, it is actually heavy rain, with immense wind forcing rain water into that region and causing water to enter that apartment through the base of the door frame.

Something important to note is that the base, floor is almost same level as the door, just the base of the door frame that helps elevates the door by few inches.

If you see from the picture, the base of that door frame is suppose to help but it's not. And that doors looks like it's just completely an open spree!

My surprise is even with the balcony(the shade), water still finds its way into the area...I am more than shocked.

Bold 1&2.
If the base of the door does not fit in completely when closed one has to know if the door is bad which means it has to be changed completely or maybe due to wrong installation by the person who hanged and dressed the door.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:07pm On Mar 25, 2021
mosefin19:

Silver or gold, I have none but I believe you’ll learn a lot from this self build project (with detailed cost analysis).
The project is 100% owner builder managed and you’d learn a lot from the cost cutting strategies adopted by the PM.

https://www.kobocity.com/d/80-first-time-owner-builder/152

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FlappaNozzle: 9:14pm On Mar 25, 2021
Focusmind:

I am not an Engineer but I think the OP made it clear that water was not coming from the ground or capillary action. It has to do with powerful wind pushing rain water towards the door areas. Since the there is so much gap between the base of the doors and the ground, rain water is finding its way into the house.
There should have been a little slopping at the door areas to allow reverse flow of water that may want to settle within the door areas or try to find its way. I think this is more of rain splashes than any foundation issue. There should not have been much gap between the base of the doors and the tiles

Where I stay now, during heavy rain with heavy winds, water splashes in the balcony and settles in the balcony, which are later mopped off.

I understand perfectly everybody's concern but It's not a foundation issue, very far from it, there is no capillary action at play. I can't load up the video here because of its size . Water just comes through the base of the door for both the main door and the kitchen door.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FlappaNozzle: 9:26pm On Mar 25, 2021
bixton:

Bold 1&2.
If the base of the door does not fit in completely when closed one has to know if the door is bad which means it has to be changed completely or maybe due to wrong installation by the person who hanged and dressed the door.

I thought as much too. Most probably change the doors. I wish there was something easier than changing doors. I have to breakout the door frames and all.
Kai cry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 9:29pm On Mar 25, 2021
Hubbab Engineering for your mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) design, and installation, our designs are detailed, and explanatory, they are prepared in accordance with relevant codes, we are trustworthy,

our design covers the following area,

MECHANICAL
Air conditioning and Ventilation layout
Drainage Layout
Water supply layout
Fire protection layout. etc

ELECTRICAL
Earthing layout
Lighting layout
Socket layout
ELV layout. etc

All at cheaper fee (with seal or without seal)

Kindly chat me via my whatsapp (08144291141) or call (08121804548) for any enquiry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:31pm On Mar 25, 2021
Focusmind:

Capillary action is not limited to water coming from the ground up neither is it always a foundation issue.

The capillary force always love small pores which is exactly why the OP is surprised. It can cause significant damage to a building without the occupant’s knowledge.

For instance, I have a leaky plumbing issue and I was shocked to see water everywhere in my bedroom where I used laminated wooden floor.

Just as the OP noticed the water when it rained, I always notice the water issue anytime the bathroom is used for a long time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 10:11pm On Mar 25, 2021
FlappaNozzle:

I thought as much too. Most probably change the doors. I wish there was something easier than changing doors. I have to breakout the door frames and all.
Kai cry
FlappaNozzle,
there is a simple solution for this problem:
Buy a polythene or nylon covering that can perfectly fit your doors down to the tiles.Place the covering in front of your door using 'a make and shift' hold.
Once you're at home and its about to rain,you drop the full covering to serve as a barrier for the rain-splashes!
After the rainfall,you open your door and roll the polythene/nylon covering up!

Hope this will help inthe interim.

Cheers!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:13pm On Mar 25, 2021
FlappaNozzle:

Kai cry

I'm guessing the door was mounted wrongly into position.

You need someone with patience to observe the below.......
1)Kindly try closing the door and check for either upward or downward shift of the door leaf.
2)Also check if the door when pressed on will fit well on the down frame.
3)Also check when the door is closed and when locked with a key if it locks perfectly or something restrains it.

I don't want to settle for one. But if any two of the above is so then you need to remove the door and re-mount properly and dress with mortar.

Otherwise getting a new door will be the next best option.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 10:20pm On Mar 25, 2021
For those that work for their money:

One of the reasons n3xt / brabus / kobocity / brabusng was able to amass so many victims through the years is due to folks that were always ready to make excuses for him. Honestly, without these people always there, he probably wouldn’t have gone as far as he did.

We already know that stealing is not corruption, now we’ve heard that fraud is simply a lack of project management skills. As if the Baba Lati builders of those days who built for my parents and grandparents had project management skills. What they had were the basics of human decency and the outlook of those who believed in earning a honest living.

Procuring a fake building approval for hundreds of thousands is lack of project management skills?
Taking on construction you had no personal or even outside professional expertise for is lack of project management skills?
The bait and switch strategy that he repeatedly used to deceive clients is lack of project management skills?
Not procuring a plan you were paid for nko? That too is due to lack of project management skills?
Mocking your clients’ pain and broke shaming them online as they lamented is lack of project management skills?
Not delivering materials for which you were paid is lack of project management skills?
Repeated lies are due to a lack of project management skills?

You see how we, as a people, hide serious character flaws under the guise of professional flaws? Greed and wickedness have been massaged into a lack of project management skills smh.

I have no control over anyone’s pockets, all are welcome to give Brabusng their money. I am only a student of history. You want people that have no idea of brabus’ infamous history to take responsibility for their actions when they have no idea of the atrocities that brabusng / n3xt / brabus has committed? We should fear God o! Some of us were raised in a Nigeria where you were encouraged to be your brother’s keeper. We are old fashioned. Sure, let him have new clients but at least let them know there are antecedents to be aware of.

Maya Angelou, the great poet, once said ( I paraphrase) “ when people show you who they are, believe them the first time.” What if they show you and/or others multiple times? Many people here on this Nland and likely others we do not know, gave brabus second chances but what did he do with those chances? Create more victims! Still, anyone is welcome to give him their money to build for them. I am only creating awareness and no one can say I have asked for payment for doing that.

As always, for those that cannot afford to donate millions to see whether or not brabusng / n3xt / brabus / kobocity has changed -OR - who can afford the donation but would like to be aware of the battle they are going into - keep your eyes on the ball. Folks are always ready to distract and detract. I am not posting at anyone’s pleasure, biko feel free to ignore and move along. I am not using your data nor your time. Gracias and God bless.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 10:24pm On Mar 25, 2021
Saving this episode of alternative facts!

diordaves:

MMotimo, I sincerely think it is now right to allow forum members to take personal responsibility in how they wish to contract and who they wish to contract with. As we say in Warri: You don try. What if, maybe, just maybe the Next of before, before has now grown into a man? There is a fine line between scrutiny and inquisition and persecution. So we don't fall foul of minting out jungle justice, please now let go. It is now a case of Kashimawo.

@Next: You must accept responsibility in all of these. The truth be told, it is not normal to have serial issues with a better part of your clientele here on Nairaland. There must be something you needed to work on. I've always held the view that, that 'something' is not fraud in the classical definition of fraud. That 'something' is Project Management skills. The Next of before, before lacked PM skills big time!!!. This was why I advised you years back to change tack. In my humble opinion, this was why you got into so many issues with your clients going back a number of years. But hey, headmaster was once a school boy. This could be your 'new dawn' if you've not already had it. Get all jobs done without issues! Have the presence of mind to engage professionals at the appropriate level. Ona kan o woja na him make tailor begin to sell efo. But this is not good enough. If you have a job that involves the design of a foundation, pan it out to the appropriate professional to avoid issues. Na where dem dey advise pickin wey get mama, na there orphan dey collect sense. All eyes on you.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Naijapal: 10:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
N3xt the issues raised by Mmotimo are weighty and is difficult to waive aside.

You need to address the issues in the thread below:
1) why were there so many complaints and accusations of fraud/sharp practices against you by your clients? Where did you go wrong?
2) why you proceeded to draft a drawing that you won't signed? Provide evidence that the client asked you to proceed with a drawing that won't meet requirement for approval? State if the client was satisfactorily refunded for the unsigned drawing as agreed?

https://www.nairaland.com/2690865/nexthome-official-complaint-thread/1#45252788

You have to open up on what has changed. Why were there so many complaints then? What are you doing differently now?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:09pm On Mar 25, 2021
Naijapal:
N3xt the issues raised by Mmotimo are weighty and is difficult to waive aside.

You need to address the issues in the thread below:

2) why you proceeded to draft a drawing that you won't signed? Provide evidence that the client asked you to proceed with a drawing that won't meet requirement for approval? State if the client was satisfactorily refunded for the unsigned drawing as agreed?

You have to open up on what has changed. Why were there so many complaints then? What are you doing differently now?

Let me start with 2

Here’s the thing:

Can any architect here or elsewhere put a 4 bedroom duplex and 2 units of 3 bedroom flats on this land and get it approved by the Lagos State government and meet all the setback requirements?

Anyone who can do this and get it signed and sealed for approval will get 200k from me first thing tomorrow morning.
Remember this is a storey building. grin

________

Unfortunately, I wasn’t dealing directly with the direct owner. I was dealing with someone who seem to dread his brother so much that he can’t say no to him.

If I was dealing directly with the owner, maybe he would have understand that though we can draw a plan to fit the land, no one will approve such plan and no one will append his or her signature, stamp or seal on the drawing because it can never meet approval standard.

The survey is up there once again and 200k is up for grab for whoever can make this happen.

_________

When the wahala too much, I refunded the 50k (out of the 60k drawing fee) money paid to the man and weeks/months (can’t remember) later he paid the money back to me that his brother said we should print.

We printed and here we go again grin

Few weeks ago, while I was chatting the owner I told him “Did your brother not tell you I refunded him back your money when the back and forth is too much?”

_________

Fraud is an anko thing when it comes to brabus so I’m not always surprised when I read some funny allegations.

Next >>

_____
Pic 1-2 | Survey of the half plot that my client want to build a 4 bedroom duplex and 3 bedroom flat

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:17pm On Mar 25, 2021
Naijapal:

State if the client was satisfactorily refunded for the unsigned drawing as agreed?

When I’ve not printed, I refunded him. After I’ve printed 5 set of drawings, bind it and deliver to him, I did not refund him.

He paid me to print the drawings.

He has seen what he wanted before we printed. The issue of not signed or sealed couldn’t have been an issue because that was the reason I refunded him in the first place.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:25pm On Mar 25, 2021
I couldn’t have produced the drawings this night na.

Site Plan grin shown to the client to let him know the challenge with his request.
Unfortunately I doubt this middleman was communicating the true position of things to the true owner.

Is this the plan that’ll be signed and sealed?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2072) (2073) (2074) (2075) (2076) (2077) (2078) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: speak2bella(f) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.