Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,375 members, 7,819,366 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2359) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4400011 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2356) (2357) (2358) (2359) (2360) (2361) (2362) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:19am On Aug 04, 2021
toyeoye:

Have you actually lived in one for a while or these are just theories in your head using common sense. I'm surprised when I see people confidently say these things

Most people, not all, offering opinions have never lived in an open kitchen home and just offering perceptive opinions that are not grounded in reality.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:00am On Aug 04, 2021
toyeoye:

People will try and discourage you but go for it bro, I did and it makes sense. They will say it's not our culture, no privacy, they will have to offer visitors food when they want to eat, the heat will be overwhelming, the smell of food will be everywhere etc but it has turned out well.

1. Plan very well and be particular about where you want every item in the kitchen even during construction.
2. Make room for cross ventilation by adding extra windows to eliminate heat, include an a/c and in my case, heat extractor fans which is efficient and not bogus like the hooded vents.
3. You guys have to be neat people. In my case, madam is more obsessed with cleanliness and everywhere is always spotless.
4. Because the kitchen is like a show off, the equipments, pots and furniture must be solid and should ideally compliment the space e.g all the gadgets are black and chrome and some upper cupboards have no doors to arrange plates, pots, flower vases etc.

Best of luck bro.

Thanks for sharing. My takeaway from all these is “Plan Well”

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:19am On Aug 04, 2021
A lot of people just like having unnecessary walls and they keep crying about increasing energy cost.

My entry porch, dining and living room is an amazing 100sqm space with large windows overlooking a terrace. The only partition between the entrance porch/ante and the main lounge is the TV Wall which serves as a break point to redefine spaces.

I could use the same space to build a naija standard 2 bedroom apartment.
I just love great space with good work flow and air circulation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:22am On Aug 04, 2021
toyeoye:

Have you actually lived in one for a while or these are just theories in your head using common sense. I'm surprised when I see people confidently say these things

My answer is simple.
I think with my age/ my experience in build environment and my stay in w/Africa i know what is good for average w/African home.
No body says it’s not doable here bcs I have work on such before.
So, do what you know it’s best for you and your family

Soooo simple. Abi bawo ?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:25am On Aug 04, 2021
toyeoye:

People will try and discourage you but go for it bro, I did and it makes sense. They will say it's not our culture, no privacy, they will have to offer visitors food when they want to eat, the heat will be overwhelming, the smell of food will be everywhere etc but it has turned out well.

1. Plan very well and be particular about where you want every item in the kitchen even during construction.
2. Make room for cross ventilation by adding extra windows to eliminate heat, include an a/c and in my case, heat extractor fans which is efficient and not bogus like the hooded vents.
3. You guys have to be neat people. In my case, madam is more obsessed with cleanliness and everywhere is always spotless.
4. Because the kitchen is SHOW OFF ,the equipments, pots and furniture must be solid and should ideally compliment the space e.g all the gadgets are black and chrome and some upper cupboards have no doors to arrange plates, pots, flower vases etc.

Best of luck bro.

But with all these can average Nigerian get all these done in every home like advance country where everything work as planned .
My answer is NO NO

So why not go for simple close kitchen that will safe you all these stress and cost.

Your last statement say it all “THE KITCHEN IS LIKE SHOW OFF.

So why going for show off, to impress or oppress people?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:28am On Aug 04, 2021
My Question about opening kitchen is coming soon.

Wait make I do wetin go give me money 1st

Owuro nii ise ,…….. Yoruba adage

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enigmatic0426: 9:55am On Aug 04, 2021
Please, i need someone to give me quotation of a simple-moderate 3bedroom bungalow from foundation to lintel. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:00am On Aug 04, 2021
Enigmatic0426:
Please, i need someone to give me quotation of a simple-moderate 3bedroom bungalow from foundation to lintel. Thanks

Drop your plan here.

Except you want a guess-timate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:14am On Aug 04, 2021
toyeoye:

4. Because the kitchen is like a show off, the equipments, pots and furniture must be solid and should ideally compliment the space e.g all the gadgets are black and chrome and some upper cupboards have no doors to arrange plates, pots, flower vases etc.

Best of luck bro.

nice sweet words....
Just a few questions though
(1) Is your cooking unit on same wall you have that main window, ceiling window and mounted extractors or on an adjacent wall?
(2) Is there any other window in this kitchen apart from this on the pix and have you observed the direction of movement of external air(wind)?
(3) Does an AC in a kitchen have any role in removal of aromas/smells arising from cooking?

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toyeoye(m): 10:15am On Aug 04, 2021
rotecch77:

My answer is simple.
I think with my age/ my experience in build environment and my stay in w/Africa i know what is good for average w/African home.
No body says it’s not doable here bcs I have work on such before.
So, do what you know it’s best for you and your family

Soooo simple. Abi bawo ?

Lol, maa binu oh. You were confident it cannot work na why I talk...All mallam to his kettle.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:22am On Aug 04, 2021
n3xt:
A lot of people just like having unnecessary walls and they keep crying about increasing energy cost

My entry porch, dining and living room is an amazing 100sqm space with large windows overlooking a terrace. The only partition between the entrance porch/ante and the main lounge is the TV Wall which serves as a break point to redefine spaces.

I could use the same space to build a naija standard 2 bedroom apartment.
I just love great space with good work flow and air circulation.

Please can you explain what you mean by the bolded and how does walls in a house affect it.......
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:25am On Aug 04, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Most people, not all, offering opinions have never lived in an open kitchen home and just offering perceptive opinions that are not grounded in reality.

The kitchen he posted a pix of does not look like an open kitchen.

Baba Egun I hope your casa nova build has an open kitchen concept or you'll consider doing it in your next build?

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toyeoye(m): 10:37am On Aug 04, 2021
bixton:

nice sweet words....
Just a few questions though
(1) Is your cooking unit on same wall you have that main window, ceiling window and mounted extractors or on an adjacent wall?
(2) Is there any other window in this kitchen apart from this on the pix and have you observed the direction of movement of external air(wind)?
(3) Does an AC in a kitchen have any role in removal of aromas/smells arising from cooking?

Thanks

1. Yes, it's on the same wall. Main sink also in same line directly under the main window in the pic I shared. If you can find good spots to have more than one window in the kitchen, better.
2. The kitchen has 1 main window and a smaller one directly above as seen in the pic. Yes you should, I didn't observe the kitchen's wind direction during construction because the living room has 5 windows. The house generally has a lot of windows bro. The kitchen window is also where the sun rises from so it's perfect.
3. The A/C was installed because I was anticipating heat but the fans alone work well to remove heat and odor. We hardly use the A/C.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:45am On Aug 04, 2021
toyeoye:

Lol, maa binu oh. You were confident it cannot work na why I talk...All mallam to his kettle.

Binu bawoo, we learn everyday naa.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barrmary: 11:22am On Aug 04, 2021
Goodmorning to our Able and wonderful Building Experts here,

Attached is my building plan and please you can give any advice as i just finished with the German floor since May this year. I intend to make the 2nd floor just for my family alone so it will be joint 4bedroom flat at the 2nd floor of the building.

Please I am building a 2-storey building with 3 bedroom flats on the right and 2 bedroom flats on the left side.

I am doe with my DPC (German floor) and I would please need advice for making my OVERHEAD TANK STAND.

My Engineer advises me to use 40ft length 4inches steel Pipes with 10mm thickness, that i shouldn't use H-Beam because it doesn't last.

Please is it true that H-Beam doesn't last for Overhead tank Stand? Please Gurus in the house help me out here and Guide me....Thanks

cc; n3xt
EgunMogaji2
Dijita
KolaShangOne
rotecch77
And any other member that can also advice.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:59am On Aug 04, 2021
bixton:

The kitchen he posted a pix of does not look like an open kitchen.

Baba Egun I hope your casa nova build has an open kitchen concept or you'll consider doing it in your next build?

I’ve never seen a more loaded question than this. In fact it’s so loaded that it needs an engineering plan grin

Of course I have an open kitchen but argument is still going to occur because of the design.

I’m not as bothered with choosing not to have an open kitchen as I am with ridiculing those of us that have one as being foolish and wasteful.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:10pm On Aug 04, 2021
bixton:

Please can you explain what you mean by the bolded and how does walls in a house affect it.......
Thanks.

In 2012, I shared the information below. I think it’s still relevant

_______

Efficient Designs: Natural lighting or PHCN?

Case Study: Mr. Brown stayed in one of the serviced terraced apartments overlooking the Atlantic Beach in VI, Lagos. Of course, he enjoys natural light and fresh air in this vacation home.
At the same time, he was building a country-home in Nnewi, Anambra and had commissioned one of the best building firm in town to handle the designs and construction.

The design firm put up a nice structure for Mr Brown with state-of-the-art facilities (automatic gate opener, solar-powered ACs, voice-activated light, day/night sensing security lights, sprinkler etc). But Mr Brown still felt something is missing. Natural Light!!!

I love the designs and concepts of Haven Homes, Nigeria based on functionalities. Their daylighting concept offers natural light and effective illumination through windows, ventilators, skylights etc and not via ACs. It also reduces lighting/energy bills while maximizing visual comfort. Different things appeal to different people sha!

I wonder why windows must always be the standard 1500 x 1200, 1800 x 1200, 600 x 600, when we have extreme hot weather. Why doors must always be solid core? Why all rooms must have curtain? Why all houses must have an AC, when PHCN is yet to meet their 4000mw target? Why we must rely on artificial lighting when we require generators to power them? Too many questions begin for answers.

Daylighting provides freshness and enhances efficiency. It brings the outdoor inside and has direct impact on productivity.

Real life: I used to live in a rented flat with 4 units of 2hp ACs burning fuel and wasting money while trying to cool the building. But now I live in a house that has little or no need for fan talkless of power hungry ACs. Everything (air, lighting...) comes natural!

To your question:

The properties and arrangements of walls (internal/external) affect both the thermal conditions (heat and cooling demand) of a building and the energy demand.
Our building designs are so flawed that we always put aesthetics, security, privacy etc over efficiency and functionality in our home design.

Most people don’t even understand why a particular size of window is chosen for their project. We always feel window sizing is all about clients preference or design requirement and not a technical decision.

For instance I have wraparound terrace in the area where I have my extremely large windows just to shade it during extremely hot weather.

Another reason for overheating in our climate is improper selection of area of glazed walls and partitions. Then there’s issue of placement/orientation. We use ACs to correct these design flaws.

The same applies to houses that requires artificial lighting to light up extremely dark areas.

Theyre design flaws and not a peculiar environmental issue or naija thing as we often think.

_______
Pic - Open Plan Living Design (Upcoming NextHome Project)

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by siralos135: 2:09pm On Aug 04, 2021
LeaseManager:

Contact @gbadexy to produce paint for you.
I have not seen anyone here, among many, who used his paint and regretted it.
I used it and the Paint is still shinning like new. No flaking as other houses painted after my own, with other type of paints.

My humble submission

I used Gbadexy paint in my new build.His paint is a major highpoint of my house.Just a simple wash with soap removes any stain(even marker stains) without the paint loosing it's shine.
I recommend Gbadexy's paint 100%

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hamthablow(m): 2:29pm On Aug 04, 2021
Blessedsunny2:
Spanish tile still in stock
Blessedsunny2 all kinds of ur choice Spanish products, etc
WhatsApp: 09077504287,07062955047

How much is the 60 × 60 please?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 2:34pm On Aug 04, 2021
Hamthablow:

How much is the 60 × 60 please?
60x60 Spanish tile per square meters. 6,700 porcelain

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 2:37pm On Aug 04, 2021
Still in stock Spanish tiles available
WhatsApp:09077504287,07062955047

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2021
Hello House, has anyone used Builders Depot.ng in Mushin, Lagos for Doors? any reviews? are they trustworthy? Thanks for your comments
Please guys this is really needed!!

n3xt
Egun
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 3:03pm On Aug 04, 2021
SurveyorGeo:
Good evening everyone, before you buy the land please check if it is free from govt acquisition, over 50% of Lagos land is govt acquisition, be careful!.
For your Land Survey Service, call 08069018449. Thank you

Ok
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2021
Barrmary:
Goodmorning to our Able and wonderful Building Experts here,

Attached is my building plan and please you can give any advice as i just finished with the German floor since May this year. I intend to make the 2nd floor just for my family alone so it will be joint 4bedroom flat at the 2nd floor of the building.

Please I am building a 2-storey building with 3 bedroom flats on the right and 2 bedroom flats on the left side.

I am doe with my DPC (German floor) and I would please need advice for making my OVERHEAD TANK STAND.

My Engineer advises me to use 40ft length 4inches steel Pipes with 10mm thickness, that i shouldn't use H-Beam because it doesn't last.

Please is it true that H-Beam doesn't last for Overhead tank Stand? Please Gurus in the house help me out here and Guide me....Thanks

cc; n3xt

His recommendation is not bad but where he’d get a full 40ft length of 4 inches pipe (10mm thickness) is the only thing that bother me here. If he’s still going to weld, then I’d rather stay with H-Beam.

However, H-Beam Tank Tower last forever when installed by the Pros.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrEnigma007: 3:24pm On Aug 04, 2021
I have noticed that flat roofs tend to have leakage issues. Is there a way to solve flat roofs with these sort of problems?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JoshuaGaius116(m): 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
� GET MORE INSTAGRAM FOLLOWERS

� Do You Have An Instagram Business Account?

� Would You Like To Increase The Number Of Your Instagram Followers?

� Do You Know That The Higher Your Instagram Followers, The Higher Your Instagram Social Proof Increases?

� The Higher Your Instagram Followers, The Higher Credibility You Get.

� The Higher Your Instagram Followers, The More People Would Want To Do Business With You.

My Name Is Joshua Oluwasanmi Adesiyan And I Can Help You To Grow Your Instagram Followers Rapidly.

� CHECK OUT OUR RATES BELOW ��

IT'S N20 PER ONE FOLLOWER

� Minimum Followers You Can Pay For � 200 Followers

Which Means You Get:

� 200 Followers For N4,000
� 300 Followers For N6,000
� 400 Followers For N8,000
� 500 Followers For N10,000 OR
� 10,000 Followers For N200,000.......etc

You Get The Drift �

You Don't Trust Me, I Totally Understand.

� This Is Why I'll Be Offering You A Trial By Giving You A 10% Discount....�

� That Means I Will Send You 200 Followers For N2,000 @ N10 Per Follower Instead Of N4,000 Or N20 Per Follower...�

Then When I Deliver My Result You'll Be Convinced To Do More Business With Me.

Send Me A Private Message Now To Get Started.

A Trial Will Convince You.

Send A Message Or Call/WhatsApp: 0811 985 8754
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:22pm On Aug 04, 2021
MrEnigma007:
I have noticed that flat roofs tend to have leakage issues. Is there a way to solve flat roofs with these sort of problems?

Another commonly associated problem with a flat roof is wind-uplift threat during windy and stormy rainfalls. So don't forget to do a roof beam and use wind tie-down straps to tie your woodwork to the beam:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barrmary: 4:30pm On Aug 04, 2021
n3xt:

His recommendation is not bad but where he’d get a full 40ft length of 4 inches pipe (10mm thickness) is the only thing that bother me here. If he’s still going to weld, then I’d rather stay with H-Beam.

However, H-Beam Tank Tower last forever when installed by the Pros.

Thanks very much Boss for your response, so far the welder has informed me he’s getting a complete length of 40ft length of 4 inches pipe (10mm thickness) at Steel village and I will also ask someone to go with him to buy the materials, it cost 140k for each of the pipes. For me I like H-Beams and most people use them but he said it’s not advisable so if he can see the complete length then his advice is notable I guess. I plan to use 2500 litres(4 no’s) of water tanks.

This your picture please what type of tank is that? Do you advice I use GP tanks or is there something more reliable I can use instead like what you have on the picture ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 4:50pm On Aug 04, 2021
toyeoye:

Best of luck bro.

Good one, that was why I asked him if he is ready to give it all it takes to have a functional open plan kitchen cos it needs a pro or a previous user who knows what it need to be functional to plan it and some excess cash will flow with it too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:56pm On Aug 04, 2021
Barrmary:

Thanks very much Boss for your response, so far the welder has informed me he’s getting a complete length of 40ft length of 4 inches pipe (10mm thickness) at Steel village and I will also ask someone to go with him to buy the materials, it cost 140k for each of the pipes. For me I like H-Beams and most people use them but he said it’s not advisable so if he can see the complete length then his advice is notable I guess. I plan to use 2500 litres(4 no’s) of water tanks.

This your picture please what type of tank is that? Do you advice I use GP tanks or is there something more reliable I can use instead like what you have on the picture ?

I guess that steel village will be Owode Onirin and the pipe will not be a new one.

Standard pipe is 18ft long. But you can get some industrial pipes in Owode that can span over 30ft.

If it’s H-Beam, you can get up to 38ft.

_________

The tank in the pics is Steel Overhead Tank.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barrmary: 5:27pm On Aug 04, 2021
n3xt:

I guess that steel village will be Owode Onirin and the pipe will not be a new one.

Standard pipe is 18ft long. But you can get some industrial pipes in Owode that can span over 30ft.

If it’s H-Beam, you can get up to 38ft.

_________

The tank in the pics is Steel Overhead Tank.

The building is in PHC sir. So it’s the Steel village in Port Harcourt.

So you think he can’t get a new 40ft length 4inches new pipes in the market?

Also please the first time you replied and said hope he’s not welding else I should go for the H-beam, please what do you mean by this?

And should I put the Steel overhead tank into consideration instead of the GP tanks I instead to use?

Thanks so much Boss and I appreciate your time you take in replying my questions.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:38pm On Aug 04, 2021
When quality is what you want, give me a call

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2356) (2357) (2358) (2359) (2360) (2361) (2362) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: diordaves(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.