Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,581 members, 7,816,430 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2361) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4387607 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2358) (2359) (2360) (2361) (2362) (2363) (2364) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 7:49am On Aug 05, 2021
Sprumbaba:

Ipolowo Oja ni Agunmu Owo.
Yes ooo
Baba mi
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:51am On Aug 05, 2021
toyeoye:

1. Yes, it's on the same wall. Main sink also in same line directly under the main window in the pic I shared. If you can find good spots to have more than one window in the kitchen, better.
2. The kitchen has 1 main window and a smaller one directly above as seen in the pic. Yes you should, I didn't observe the kitchen's wind direction during construction because the living room has 5 windows. The house generally has a lot of windows bro. The kitchen window is also where the sun rises from so it's perfect.
3. The A/C was installed because I was anticipating heat but the fans alone work well to remove heat and odor. We hardly use the A/C.

You seem to have a small kitchen then the reason for a single window due to the wall orientation. It's a good thing it's functionality works fine. For efficiency it's better in the absence of cooker hood extractor to have wall mounted heat extractor(expeller fans) on adjacent walls or a mix of both except one intends to use the commercial(industrial) type. At least you need one placed above the cooking unit.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:53am On Aug 05, 2021
Sprumbaba:

Fair enough, but the homeless tents will reach there someday. grin

They’re actually already there shocked

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 8:26am On Aug 05, 2021

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AllWays: 8:27am On Aug 05, 2021
I like the ground based tank with pressure pump.

Quick question sir: does the pressure pump need to run at all times when water/taps is used on an upper floor level?

EgunMogaji2:

On this crucial structure I’ll defer to the pros. I used pipes but it will be coming down in the near future because I’ll be using a ground based Storex with a pressure pump.

Good luck on your project.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 8:28am On Aug 05, 2021
toyeoye:

People will try and discourage you but go for it bro, I did and it makes sense. They will say it's not our culture, no privacy, they will have to offer visitors food when they want to eat, the heat will be overwhelming, the smell of food will be everywhere etc but it has turned out well.

1. Plan very well and be particular about where you want every item in the kitchen even during construction.
2. Make room for cross ventilation by adding extra windows to eliminate heat, include an a/c and in my case, heat extractor fans which is efficient and not bogus like the hooded vents.
3. You guys have to be neat people. In my case, madam is more obsessed with cleanliness and everywhere is always spotless.
4. Because the kitchen is like a show off, the equipments, pots and furniture must be solid and should ideally compliment the space e.g all the gadgets are black and chrome and some upper cupboards have no doors to arrange plates, pots, flower vases etc.

Best of luck bro.
Nice job

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 8:33am On Aug 05, 2021
Post the floor plan, roof plan and section drawings if available in order to get a fair advice.

bayo2018:
Good day Bosses in the house
Please is this quotation fair for the woodwork of a two bedroom and one self contain (Main Building) and 4 self contain (renting )
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:45am On Aug 05, 2021
AllWays:

Quick question sir: does the pressure pump need to run at all times when water/taps is used on an upper floor level?

if you have the power source to pump water always, that's ok. If not, allow gravity to get the job done by making overhead steel tank
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 8:55am On Aug 05, 2021
Hatesin:

Please why would I have to inbox you privately?
So that I would be able to explain and break it down.to you,cus you talk about the wall tile and you don't talked about the size of it ..so is better you inbox me to explain better.....

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bayo2018: 9:07am On Aug 05, 2021
QSFemi:
Post the floor plan, roof plan and section drawings if available in order to get a fair advice.

I’ve got only the floor plan Chief

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hatesin: 9:08am On Aug 05, 2021
Blessedsunny2:

So that I would be able to explain and break it down.to you,cus you talk about the wall tile and you don't talked about the size of it ..so is better you inbox me to explain better.....

Am sure the space you used in writing this reply should be enough to state the size(s) of wall tiles since my not specifying the size is your problem

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:12am On Aug 05, 2021
AllWays:

The system I'm hoping to use has a pressure switch in the system.

So say your plumber has decided that 15psi is your needed pressure then the pump will not operate unless the pressure drops below 15psi as in when a tap is open. It just will never pump over 15psi regardless how many taps are open all over the place. I have a poor mans bungalow but I can envision needing two pumps for multi level structure.

It might appear that I'm creating "a problem for a solution" but I'm retired, it's my own private residence, funded by me and I like to tinker" grin

PS: A small solar system can power this effortlessly without intervention.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:15am On Aug 05, 2021
[quote author=n3xt post=104417610]

In 2012, I shared the information below. I think it’s still relevant

_______

Efficient Designs: Natural lighting or PHCN?

I love the designs and concepts of Haven Homes, Nigeria based on functionalities. Their daylighting concept offers natural light and effective illumination through windows, ventilators, skylights etc and not via ACs. It also reduces lighting/energy bills while maximizing visual comfort. Different things appeal to different people sha!

I wonder why windows must always be the standard 1500 x 1200, 1800 x 1200, 600 x 600, when we have extreme hot weather. Why doors must always be solid core? Why all rooms must have curtain? Why all houses must have an AC, when PHCN is yet to meet their 4000mw target? Why we must rely on artificial lighting when we require generators to power them? Too many questions begin for answers.

Daylighting provides freshness and enhances efficiency. It brings the outdoor inside and has direct impact on productivity.

To your question:

The properties and arrangements of walls (internal/external) affect both the thermal conditions (heat and cooling demand) of a building and the energy demand.
Our building designs are so flawed that we always put aesthetics, security, privacy etc over efficiency and functionality in our home design.

Most people don’t even understand why a particular size of window is chosen for their project. We always feel window sizing is all about clients preference or design requirement and not a technical decision.

For instance I have wraparound terrace in the area where I have my extremely large windows just to shade it during extremely hot weather.

Another reason for overheating in our climate is improper selection of area of glazed walls and partitions. Then there’s issue of placement/orientation. We use ACs to correct these design flaws.

The same applies to houses that requires artificial lighting to light up extremely dark areas.

Theyre design flaws and not a peculiar environmental issue or naija thing as we often think.

_______
Pic - Open Plan Living Design (Upcoming NextHome Project)
[/quote

A perfect build remains so depending on builder's experience and clients' taste.
The necessities of standard(s) is that it stays within acceptable conditions for minimum comfort but nothing stops the builder/client from "improving" on such standards to get a better feel.
I don't know how ACs are used to correct design flaws. But I agree that orientation/placement of walls causing some of the issues raised. One thing about an AC is that it does not bring in new air into an apartment.
I can't say much regarding terrace as shade to windows towards extremely hot weather. Except one is given more consideration to aesthetic rather than functionality. We try not to solve one issue by creating another.

It's not every size/shape of land that one can build a living home if 90% of your concerns is to be met even if one is to build vertical excepts one intends to build a warehouse. grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:26am On Aug 05, 2021
[quote author=bixton post=104447094][/quote]

I'll wager that ALL the architects on this thread will never agree on a building plan. grin

I keep telling people that the architects and builders will be gone one day and leave the homeowner to his property, good or bad.

You're right that HVAC will never bring in fresh air and this is why I have a wholehouse fan in my design. It's not the typical ceiling mounted USA style but a window mounted one that I designed and created. Custom made ones will be offered for sale in the future.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:47am On Aug 05, 2021
[quote author=bixton post=104447094][/quote]

I’m trying to understand your message.

This is my position though:

- AC is not a necessity in every room if the house design is functional.

- wraparound terrace is used in sun-drenched climate, to reduce the effects of heat. It performs same function as a brise soileil or sun breaker on glazed area.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by isijyde: 10:31am On Aug 05, 2021
Good morning engr. please i want to know if one can build a 4bedroom duplex on a half plot of land and how much will it cost. using a simple but attractive design. location is akwa ibom state.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 10:49am On Aug 05, 2021
New arrival of your Spanish tiles 60by120
Am blessedsunny2 small enough to listen big enough to deliver �
WhatsApp:09077504287,07062955047

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barrmary: 11:23am On Aug 05, 2021
michlins:
sir, I will tell you from experience as a welder. You are better off with H channel. This is same thing used in making steel bridges. Don't ever try anything pipe because it will definitely retain water. And no matter how thick the iron is, with long exposure to water and other atmospheric factors, it will rust.

Having said that, you can make your decision yourself. BTW, you don't need 40ft for a two storey building. At best, you need 35ft tall tank

Thanks very much for your response and I will get back to my welder and Engineer regarding this.

KolaShangOne:

I guess he's taking from his own experience. I don't know if 4" / 10mm pipes will carry 4 tanks of maybe 2000L each.. but I'm sure H-beam of the right thickness and build will carry it.

I think you're better off with a steel tank of say 6,000- 8000 litres if you have some few millions to spend.

Thanks for the response Sir, the steel tank makes sense but its the millions that will be the concern cheesy grin

Dijita:
Sorry I am unable to advise you on water stand. It is the most bitter experience in my project . The family member I asked to do mine shopped the money. Had to give it to somebody else to finish it for me.
Good luck. Its going to be a very good house when you finish it.

Sorry to hear that Sir, May God deliver us from those type of family members... cry cry

I hope they eventually finish it up for you.

EgunMogaji2:

On this crucial structure I’ll defer to the pros. I used pipes but it will be coming down in the near future because I’ll be using a ground based Storex with a pressure pump.

Good luck on your project.

Okay thanks Sir for your response. I appreciate your time. smiley

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WhiteAngels001(m): 11:53am On Aug 05, 2021
Sold
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WhiteAngels001(m): 12:00pm On Aug 05, 2021
somehow:

Looks like my size.. ..

Your last asking price?
This is a very rugged and original Dunlop safety boots with steel toe cap for protection of your toes sir.
The sole is more like a trailer tire for real grin grin
You'll get to see it to confirm before making payment sir
Selling at a give away price is 10k sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 12:18pm On Aug 05, 2021
WhiteAngels001:

This is a very rugged and original Dunlop safety boots with steel toe cap for protection of your toes sir.
The sole is more like a trailer tire for real grin grin
You'll get to see it to confirm before making payment sir
Selling at a give away price is 10k sir

I used to own one but gave it out to a force man (All round steel protector)

I am not an engineer, but should own one for site visit sir.

₦7k kogba?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AllWays: 12:38pm On Aug 05, 2021
Thank you sir for your response. I have learned something good today!
EgunMogaji2:

The system I'm hoping to use has a pressure switch in the system.

So say your plumber has decided that 15psi is your needed pressure then the pump will not operate unless the pressure drops below 15psi as in when a tap is open. It just will never pump over 15psi regardless how many taps are open all over the place. I have a poor mans bungalow but I can envision needing two pumps for multi level structure.

It might appear that I'm creating "a problem for a solution" but I'm retired, it's my own private residence, funded by me and I like to tinker" grin

PS: A small solar system can power this effortlessly without intervention.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WhiteAngels001(m): 12:51pm On Aug 05, 2021
somehow:

I used to own one but gave it out to a force man (All round steel protector)

I am not an engineer, but should own one for site visit sir.

₦7k kogba?
Come up higher sir, we could deal
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:53pm On Aug 05, 2021
n3xt:

I’m trying to understand your message.

This is my position though:

- AC is not a necessity in every room if the house design is functional.

- wraparound terrace is used in sun-drenched climate, to reduce the effects of heat. It performs same function as a brise soileil or sun breaker on glazed area.

The typical involuntary thought of the Nigerian mind is to provide an AC in every space in a house as long as money is readily available to spend. Provision for such is not really a functionality of the house design. It's like someone switching ON an AC during a rainfall.

I understand the wrap around terrace or brise soileil or sun breaker. They tend to do the same thing but it's slightly distinguished based on material type used to achieve it's purpose.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 1:05pm On Aug 05, 2021
WhiteAngels001:

Come up higher sir, we could deal

pay on delivery.
But it must fit.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 1:11pm On Aug 05, 2021
bixton:

The typical involuntary thought of the Nigerian mind is to provide an AC in every space in a house as long as money is readily available to spend. Provision for such is not really a functionality of the house design. It's like someone switching ON an AC during a rainfall.

I understand the wrap around terrace or brise soileil or sun breaker. They tend to do the same thing but it's slightly distinguished based on material type used to achieve it's purpose.
We chose the kinda design we use in Nigeria because NIGERIA IS NIGERIA,
In the western world, comfort comes first since they’ve taken care of security but in Nigeria, the first thing is SECURITY before Comfort.
Open kitchen is dope, but safety wise to most Nigerians? Is poor.

Nigerians invest more in making the house secured (burglary, walls, doors and locks) than they spend on being comfortable in their house.

One day, Nigeria will be safe and we will be able to build our house to our tastes without factoring Security as a major Determinant.

I love short fence(very short one) with small gate just like the US fence, but is it safe to build such fence in Nigeria? NO

NIGERIA FACTOR is the greatest determinant when building house

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WhiteAngels001(m): 1:26pm On Aug 05, 2021
somehow:

pay on delivery.
But it must fit.
Make it 9k please so it can be fair enough for me the seller.
It's definitely a pay on delivery and you must test and confirm it before payment.
Where's your location sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2021
Blessedsunny2:
New arrival of your Spanish tiles 60by120
Am blessedsunny2 small enough to listen big enough to deliver �
WhatsApp:09077504287,07062955047

Dude take your time oh
Put the price
No hide and seek game now
stop the nonsense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 2:01pm On Aug 05, 2021
WhiteAngels001:

Make it 9k please so it can be fair enough for me the seller.
It's definitely a pay on delivery and you must test and confirm it before payment.
Where's your location sir

8k.
It's not a need but a want..
Lagos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WhiteAngels001(m): 2:04pm On Aug 05, 2021
somehow:

8k.
It's not a need but a want..
Lagos
The price is quite unfair on my own end sir.
Where in Lagos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 2:13pm On Aug 05, 2021
WhiteAngels001:

The price is quite unfair on my own end sir.
Where in Lagos

Will chat you up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2358) (2359) (2360) (2361) (2362) (2363) (2364) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: sodiq961(m), Olusojisorunmu(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.