Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,135 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2567) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4372413 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2564) (2565) (2566) (2567) (2568) (2569) (2570) ... (3663) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 1:07pm On Nov 10, 2021
Another delivery today for a nairalander in Edo state.

Thank you prince for your patronage, patience and understanding.

God bless you more and more in Jesus name.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 2:37pm On Nov 10, 2021
somehow:

Thanks

Is Poka more developed than Ketu, Ilamija, Molajoye and the likes?

To be honest, I know Poka. I haven't been to other areas mentioned.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by micgray100(m): 2:44pm On Nov 10, 2021
n3xt:

I’ve never had to worry about where my next meal will come from because I know my difference makes a difference.

________

Architectural Design Request | Urgent

A client urgently need a simple yet modern neoclassical countryhome.

Must-Haves

- 5 Bedroom (en-suite)
- Cinema
- Open Plan Living
- Kitchenette/Laundry/Study
- Wraparound Terrace
- Floor-to-ceiling windows
- Loft

Nice-To-Haves

- Helical Staircase
- Corbels
- Attached Sun Room

Please kindly wow me with creative ideas for this special project.

OGA N3XT......I STAND WELL FOR THE STRUCTURAL DRAWINGS.....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:05pm On Nov 10, 2021
somehow:
@Michlin

Can you work on-site in Lagos?
yes sir. It's Michlins though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 3:47pm On Nov 10, 2021
It's so hard to actually know who's real and who's not. I am tired of Nigeria. How do you get proof of training, competence and experience from a building expert like you mentioned? Ask the person to provide certificate or what? I once encountered an architect that claims to be a building expert. Now the question is, would you allow an architect to build your house? And the big names here on nairaland.com will scare you away with their quotes because they are trying to create some buffer do to inflation. It's just tiring mehn.

QSFemi:
Happy weekend.

As long as you're building a structure, engage the expert advice of a structural engineer. Be advised on suitable foundations, column and beam designs, suspended slab, staircase and other structural elements in your structure. Structural integrity and stability of a structure is the lifeline. It can't be compromised.

To building supervisors especially those without requisite training and competence, be advised that you will be liable to prosecution if anything go wrong on buildings/structures under your watch.

To clients, be aware. Ask for proof of training, competence and experience from anyone claiming to be a building expert. Be it an Architect, a quantity surveyor, engineers, land surveyor or what have you.
Do your due diligence. Here, anybody can claim to be whatever they're not. You can never know.

In the long run, if anything goes wrong as it sometimes do, most times, clients have more to lose than any hired professionals.

Be watchful.

Happy weekend again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johnchrix(m): 4:03pm On Nov 10, 2021
KolaShangOne:
Can a bio-digester work in a water-logged area??

Is there anyone here doing it in Port harcourt?
I know someone who specializes on that in pH.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 4:16pm On Nov 10, 2021
Okay sir, thanks.
folmus:

To be honest, I know Poka. I haven't been to other areas mentioned.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 4:17pm On Nov 10, 2021
Alright, I will get in touch soon.
michlins:
yes sir. It's Michlins though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 4:21pm On Nov 10, 2021
Try as much as possible not to fall for long grammar/plenty-of-pictures builders in your quest to get who to build for you.

Most won't send you any evidence of their qualifications but some are still okay.

Check old names on this thread, those who hardly post, put whichever name you are considering before them. MAKE use of their advice no matter how uncomfortable they put it. Do not be tempted at all.

Lastly, whoever you're to work with, make sure you follow up, put someone to act as your eyes on site all the time.

I wish you good speed.

Ndyoo:
It's so hard to actually know who's real and who's not. I am tired of Nigeria. How do you get proof of training, competence and experience from a building expert like you mentioned? Ask the person to provide certificate or what? I once encountered an architect that claims to be a building expert. Now the question is, would you allow an architect to build your house? And the big names here on nairaland.com will scare you away with their quotes because they are trying to create some buffer do to inflation. It's just tiring mehn.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 4:38pm On Nov 10, 2021
Ndyoo:

Please jus ask for their certificate and their COREN

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by walexProjects(m): 4:51pm On Nov 10, 2021
n3xt:

I’ve never had to worry about where my next meal will come from because I know my difference makes a difference.

________

Must-Haves

- 5 Bedroom (en-suite)
- Cinema
- Open Plan Living
- Wraparound Terrace
- Loft

Nice-To-Haves

- Helical Staircase
- Corbels
- Attached Sun Room

Yes sir.
You will surely be wowed.
I will send you some amazing Ideas Tonight for the M&E aspect.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seunpinky(m): 5:08pm On Nov 10, 2021
Ndyoo:

In addition to this, who is expected to build a house?
1. Take for example I want to build a bungalow or a duplex, who should build it, is it a builder, a civil engineer, an architect, a QS, or a building contractor ( someone who just brings and manages artisans)?

2. What criteria determines the knowledge/license of someone who can build a house?
a). Is it by the formal education they have received
b). Years of practice/ on the job experience ( informal education)?
c). Number of trainings they have attended on buildings/ constructions?

It would also be good if the professionals in the house can identify with their trade/training/area of expertise..

Modified

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:23pm On Nov 10, 2021
Hajivince:

Please jus ask for their certificate and their COREN
Hahaha, certificate in naija. Almost everyone as one, even those in government get all kinds you asked for, except those that are issued in heaven. Our problem is corruption a cross board.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:21pm On Nov 10, 2021
kopell:
Hahaha, certificate in naija. Almost everyone as one, even those in government get all kinds you asked for, except those that are issued in heaven. Our problem is corruption a cross board.

In a society where no law/rule/structure exist or people to enforce it, people would create an informal structure/government.

We need structure in our lives, and we need to expect that each person will uphold his or her part of the bargain: to remain fair and respectful.

In most cases, it’s not always corruption but lack of trust in the process/systems/structure/government.

People do not get certificates nowadays to prove their academic capability but to secure high paying jobs.

Neither do people secure building permits because they want to do things right but just to fulfill all righteousness by doing the right things the wrong way.
That’s why there’s disregard for constituted authorities.
People are happy to break government seal without care or worries

It’s all about the system!

When there are no rules, people form an informal government.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
seunpinky:

In addition to this, who is expected to build a house? Take for example I want to build a bungalow or a duplex, who should build it, is it a builder, a civil engineer, an architect?

I'll go with an Architect as per USA standard but will ask that he's experienced.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seunpinky(m): 6:41pm On Nov 10, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I'll go with an Architect as per USA standard but will ask that he's experienced.
Thanks for your response, looking forward to other responses... Would edit my initial post to also include a new street terminology
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OgwuEgo: 6:46pm On Nov 10, 2021
Bookmarked.
gbadexy:

Screeding is the best form of wall smoothening followed by application of primer.
You may use silk or satin for inside and matte for external.
You may also use regular emulsion for pop.
You may use any type of screeding. Cement/pop emulsion, pop cement or basecoat. Just ensure sufficient PVA bond is added with the cement and pop cement type.
Regular emulsion: N7500
Matte: N26000
Satin: N31000
Silk: N36000
Transport should be in the range of N1500 per drum to most parts of the country and I split the cost with clients or make free delivery if the quantity is much.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by princenomics: 6:53pm On Nov 10, 2021
Thanks for the delivery. I sincerely appreciate your promptness and sincerety. Hope to do more businesses with you.
Regards and safe trip back to your base.
hslbroker2:
Another delivery today for a nairalander in Edo state.

Thank you prince for your patronage, patience and understanding.

God bless you more and more in Jesus name.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 6:56pm On Nov 10, 2021
New arrivals Spanish products
Wall Spanish tiles, porcelain products
YOUR
BEST
QUALITY
TILES
HERE

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:57pm On Nov 10, 2021
princenomics:
Thanks for the delivery. I sincerely appreciate your promptness and sincerety. Hope to do more businesses with you.

I give this to him - prompt delivery and effective service.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:01pm On Nov 10, 2021
micgray100:

OGA N3XT......I STAND WELL FOR THE STRUCTURAL DRAWINGS.....

Chairman, we go run bigger things. I have 3 floor hotel in the box for us to chew this Christmas holiday grin

Na me dey slow things down sef. I need to conceptualize a design and forward to the architect but time no dey
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:05pm On Nov 10, 2021
walexProjects:

Yes sir.
You will surely be wowed.
I will send you some amazing Ideas Tonight for the M&E aspect.

Let’s have it bro. I have something cool (MEP) from Protea Marriot Neoclassical Styled Buildings too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 7:32pm On Nov 10, 2021
Good evening all.
To get construction updates on this project.
Click on follow thread.
Thank you in anticipation.

Follow this link.
https://www.nairaland.com/6656410/semi-detached-6-bedroom-duplex/4#107501996

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:48pm On Nov 10, 2021
I'm sorry for the pains you might have gone through in the hands of people impersonating as building professionals.

From research, the Nigerian building industry is a highly bastardized industry where anybody can claim what is not.

To answer your question, you should start with the company profile of the purported company that you're dealing if it's a reputable company. Check your the resume of key professional staff in the company profile such as the Structural engineer, Architect, Land Surveyor, Quantity Surveyor, M&E engineers or what have you. Check the qualification, registration status with respective professional bodies, years of experience, magnitude and technicalities of projects handled in the past, past clients of the company, tax clearance certificate, Corporate Affairs Commission Certificate and physical address of the company.

Ask for the company's past three years balance sheets of the company. Know the financial strength of the company. If these checks are duly followed, then such contractor should be eligible for work.

If you're dealing with an individual building supervisor who could be a builder or structural engineer, then you should ask for their educational qualification, registration status with their professional body, years of experience, verifiable past projects handled, physical address, guarantors and banking partners.

You can also ask either the company or the building supervisor to get a performance bond from his or her banking organization. If you've done all these, then we can now proceed to the actual contract administration which is also a very critical stage.

During the execution of the project, let the contractor or the building supervisor knows that 5% of the amount of value of work done at each milestone will be withheld by the client. On practical completion of the project, 2.5% out of the 5% will be paid to the contractor while the remaining 2.5% will be paid after the defect liability period which could be a 6 month period or even 1 year based on agreed duration.

There are lots of risk management strategies in place yo fully protect the client's from contractor's shenanigans but most times, clients are in a hurry to award a job to contractors based on trust and word of mouth.

Of course as a client, you should expect to pay your contractors not only the cost of the work but also overheads and profit to the contractor.

Ndyoo:

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 8:03pm On Nov 10, 2021
princenomics:

Thank u sir, I'm grateful
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:16pm On Nov 10, 2021
Dennis3D:
Good evening all.
To get construction updates on this project.
Click on follow thread.
Thank you in anticipation.

Follow this link.
https://www.nairaland.com/6656410/semi-detached-6-bedroom-duplex/4#107501996

Nice one.

I’m looking for something like the below. Do you have??

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 8:34pm On Nov 10, 2021
n3xt:

Nice one.

I’m looking for something like the below. Do you have??

Good evening bros.
Currently don't Have this on my portfolio.

Its usually a special request. Not a regular build or Design.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 8:43pm On Nov 10, 2021
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos (Terms & Condition applies) ..

12v 200a .... N20,000
12v 150a.....N15,000
12v 100a.......N10,000
2v 500a ......N6,000

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver ..

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 9:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
A 500 Capacity Event Centre
*Featuring*
3 Mini Halls.
1 Main Hall.
3 Number Standard Suite.
1 Number Executive Suite
Restaurant/Bar
Kitchen
Reception
Concourse
Stores
Back stage
Convenience
Security House.
Parking Lots.

Plot Size 1100 Square metre.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by princenomics: 9:49pm On Nov 10, 2021
Good evening House. Please i humbly need your assistance.
What should be the standard size of a soak way of 4 bedroom bungalow, all ensuite and cost implication.
Best regards.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 10:18pm On Nov 10, 2021
n3xt:

________

Must-Haves

- 5 Bedroom (en-suite)
- Cinema
- Open Plan Living
- Wraparound Terrace
- Loft

Nice-To-Haves

- Helical Staircase
- Corbels
- Attached Sun Room

Baba allow me to produce something sweet and cool,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 10:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
kopell:

Well... At least u know the person has done sth b4 he got COREN and there's minimum requirements for that... Yes there's corruption but that's a step and u can then further do more findings... But truth b told, how many are willing to pay actual professional fees?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2564) (2565) (2566) (2567) (2568) (2569) (2570) ... (3663) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: timelineinc and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.