Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,629 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2636) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4376621 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2633) (2634) (2635) (2636) (2637) (2638) (2639) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badadvisor: 9:11pm On Dec 08, 2021
BrickDevo:

This can only happen in amechi/awkunanaw areas their youths are now touts, you have to be notorious in dealing with them, there's this grin and envy they have if you're not an indigen, they're mad because they have sold almost all their lands. If you start foundation they will come again.
It's really sad. I actually used to think something like this only happen in Lagos state.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:12pm On Dec 08, 2021
Badadvisor:

It's really sad. I actually used to think something like this only happen in Lagos state.
you don't know what has hit you when you start moving materials to site
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 9:18pm On Dec 08, 2021
Badadvisor:

thats how bad the country has become, now is clear that the government is not the only problem.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badadvisor: 9:26pm On Dec 08, 2021
BrickDevo:
thats how bad the country has become, now is clear that the government is not the only problem.
I'm now regretting why i bought that land. Should have just left my money in crypto where it was.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 9:29pm On Dec 08, 2021
Badadvisor:

I'm now regretting why i bought that land. Should have just left my money in crypto where it was.
lolz, e no easy anywhere, even for that crypto the dump happening often is something to be weary off, but land will always appreciate with time.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 9:33pm On Dec 08, 2021
Badadvisor:
My two plots of land in ugwogo i bought that's 10 seconds away from the tarred road.
Decided to fence and gate it, started work on the site indigens came for development fee and 200k was paid.
Now local government came today that we didn't come to their office before starting the construction and stuffs and all their bills was calculated to 280,000, it caused alot of fights cos they stopped work on the site until 150k was deposited before they left.
Honestly I'm tired of this damn country.
Just fence and gate o not like I'm building a structure or something.
This is crazy, is there this really how it's done in other parts of the country?
Enugu state is turning into something else

Same madness I'm experiencing in my site in Lagos. These foolish omonile miscreants keep disturbing me even after settling them.

The came up with a new scam asking for 1M naira bank draft for the wives of the person that sold land to us even after paying those fees 20 years ago when my dad bought the land. This is because the main owner of the land has died.

The 1M they are asking from people currently working on their site is different from their foundation, German floor, decking, and roofing levy. The annoying thing is that when u pay the money no receipt or anything. Because those omonile people keep changing government. One person may be in charge today, tomorrow another person takes over.

They even go to the extent of hiring thugs to use weapon to disturb site owner's.

I was at work one day when I was called and informed that one of the miscreants came to my site and scattered the work my carpenter did and even threatened to kill my carpenter if he continues to work for me.

Unfortunately no reasonable agency in Lagos State government looks into it.

I'm devastated and clueless on what to do.

Because of this omonile rubbish I have decided to abandon my plan of buying more lands in Lagos to build. I plan to go invest in the state capital of my state of origin.

The amount of money I have spent to build my 5 flat 1 storey building in Lagos, if I had taken that money to the state capital of my state of origin, it will comfortably build me a 2 storey building.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badadvisor: 9:51pm On Dec 08, 2021
BrickDevo:
lolz, e no easy anywhere, even for that crypto the dump happening often is something to be weary off, but land will always appreciate with time.
Bro i used the crypto money to buy this land.
The ethereum i have been holding for almost 3 years.
I actually planned abandoning the gating for the main time because i already spent all the money i set aside for this project. I would complete only the fencing.
The gating will wait until next year

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badadvisor: 9:53pm On Dec 08, 2021
neduboo:

Same madness I'm experiencing in my site in Lagos. These foolish omonile miscreants keep disturbing me even after settling them.

The came up with a new scam asking for 1M naira bank draft for the wives of the person that sold land to us even after paying those fees 20 years ago when my dad bought the land. This is because the main owner of the land has died.

The 1M they are asking from people currently working on their site is different from their foundation, German floor, decking, and roofing levy. The annoying thing is that when u pay the money no receipt or anything. Because those omonile people keep changing government. One person may be in charge today, tomorrow another person takes over.

They even go to the extent of hiring thugs to use weapon to disturb site owner's.

I was at work one day when I was called and informed that one of the miscreants came to my site and scattered the work my carpenter did and even threatened to kill my carpenter if he continues to work for me.

Unfortunately no reasonable agency in Lagos State government looks into it.

I'm devastated and clueless on what to do.

Because of this omonile rubbish I have decided to abandon my plan of buying more lands in Lagos to build. I plan to go invest in the state capital of my state of origin.

The amount of money I have spent to build my 5 flat 1 storey building in Lagos, if I had taken that money to the state capital of my state of origin, it will comfortably build me a 2 storey building.

Bro it's really crazy. Spent almost 400k now just to settle local government and indigens meanwhile i just intend fencing and gating it I'm yet to begin anything meaningful yet with the two plots.

I'm dead tired. I'd leave the gating until next year because all these unexpected expenses made scattered my plans.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 9:54pm On Dec 08, 2021
Badadvisor:

Bro i used the crypto money to buy this land.
The ethereum i have been holding for almost 3 years.
I actually planned abandoning the gating for the main time because i already spent all the money i set aside for this project. I would complete only the fencing.
The gating will wait until next year
you did well, i wish you success in your plan
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 10:25pm On Dec 08, 2021
Badadvisor:

Bro it's really. Spent almost 400k now just to settle local government and indigens meanwhile i just intend fencing and gating it I'm yet to begin anything meaningful yet with the two plots.

I'm dead tired. I'd leave the gating until next year because all these unexpected expenses made scattered my plans.

Can yyou imagine? It's really saddening. The annoying thing is that they will keep coming even after settling them.

Once u pay them and they change their current oga/head, u will repay again once a new person enters. Once u start building proper they will still come again

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Vebijo: 10:54pm On Dec 08, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bobbyflips1(m): 11:29pm On Dec 08, 2021
PLOTS OF LAND FOR SALE AT KayFarms Estate
Iju, Ifako Ajaiye

Full plot: N45.75m
Half plots: N27.75m
Quarter Plots: N12.5m
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Commonsense101(m): 11:49pm On Dec 08, 2021
jabolo:

All service providers 'humming and ah'ing' about how great this quote is, it's nearly end of the year. It will be mightily hypocritical if you don't look back over the year and mark yourself honestly ...

... have I left any dissatisfied clients out there?
... who have I ridden roughshod over this year?

Then maybe you can try to make good if not too late.

IMO, it's not about carefully curating an online personae as, luckily for you, not every blowback is brought here.

Real world things.
@ Bolded couldn't be truer . . . Well curated.
In here everybody is sweet and honest. Out there majority will rip you off in a heartbeart. Once you're difficult to chop or try to protect yourself from exploitation, you start to see a different side.
Only an extremely few number are true to themselves. I'm a strong believer in good wage , but let it be followed by honest labour

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toyeoye(m): 11:54pm On Dec 08, 2021
Bobbyflips1:
PLOTS OF LAND FOR SALE AT KayFarms Estate
Iju, Ifako Ajaiye

Full plot: N45.75m
Half plots: N27.75m
Quarter Plots: N12.5m

You left out omonile fees.... cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seunpinky(m): 4:17am On Dec 09, 2021
YeyeBoyfriend:
his price is quite on the high side

It might be good for u to state how much u intend buying the cement so that experienced folks can tell u if ur budget would work or not.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:08am On Dec 09, 2021
neduboo:

Can yyou imagine? It's really saddening. The annoying thing is that they will keep coming even after settling them.

Once u pay them and they change their current oga/head, u will repay again once a new person enters. Once u start building proper they will still come again

I have never experienced this in Enugu. Nobody dare return to my site after I have settled the community and is holding the community receipts. Follow these steps below.

1. Buy your land.
2. Move into the land as soon as possible
3. Clear the land
4. Dump one trip of sand and one trip of stone on, or very close to the land
5. Send 2 guys to start doing an excavation on the land, then stand back and watch
6. The youths will come, the fakes and the real ones
7. Make your enquiries about who the real ones are, visit them in their houses
8. Ask of their administrative structure and find out who is head
9. Engage the head man and find out the fees
10. Pay the fees and obtain your receipt. Every community in Enugu town has a receipt.

I have never seen where the youths of same community will return after being paid, except the money wasn't paid to the right people who owns the land.

Community development levies in Enugu are paid once, and for the life of the project, they dont usually come back again even if the government changes. They can only introduce other payments like the security levies which they use to pay security guards.

However, if you stop work and abandon the site for a long period of time, say 2 to 5 years, the people will come back when you resume and ask for more money, even insisting that you pay again (they will be arguing that the land has been sold to another person, and the new man must settle them afresh)

But in the end, a good negotiating skill will save you a lot of money. Welcome them when they come, smile often, but be firm. Ask to meet them in their area, maybe a local pub. Get to know them, collect numbers and assure them of your partnership with them for future business. Some of these guys are really nice people when approached right. I have seen cases where my payment was lowered because of the way I approached them.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:11am On Dec 09, 2021
Cement is selling for N4,500 in some parts of Nigeria.

How can people build and rent with good returns in this kind of economy?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 6:21am On Dec 09, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:22am On Dec 09, 2021
spyder880:
Cement is selling for N4,500 in some parts of Nigeria.

How can people build and rent with good returns in this kind of economy?

Think alternative. There are too many out there.

There are still many mud house built many decades ago that are still standing today.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 6:24am On Dec 09, 2021
I'm available for business, for MEP design and installation,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:35am On Dec 09, 2021
n3xt:

Think alternative. There are too many out there.

There are still many mud house built many decades ago that are still standing today.

Bros, mud houses in 2021? grin

Anyway, we should think alternative methods of doing this, but when all we build is upstairs and multi dwelling units, it make it difficult to use alternatives because of the type of building involved.

For us to succeed with alternative building methods, our structural engineers and architects must start the process from the design stage of the building. The foundation all the way to the frame of the building must be planned to accommodate alternative building technologies.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:46am On Dec 09, 2021
spyder880:

Bros, mud houses in 2021? grin

Anyway, we should think alternative methods of doing this, but when all we build is upstairs and multi dwelling units, it make it difficult to use alternatives because of the type of building involved.

For us to succeed with alternative building methods, our structural engineers and architects must start the process from the design stage of the building. The foundation all the way to the frame of the building must be planned to accommodate alternative building technologies.

Just 2 days ago, I got a call from LafargeHolcim (one of the largest producer of cement in Africa). They wanted a storey building completely designed and built with Lightgauge steel.

My last 2 projects had Fibre cement Cladding that reduced the need for cement.

Just yesterday, I found and decided to experiment polystyrene ceilings. The prices are very interesting and friends. It’s lightweight and also very easy to use.

I was able to pull an over 300sqm suspended ceiling within 72 hours because I wasn’t doing the conventional pop installation.

I’ve shared picture of a gate column built by the Chinese in 2014. It has no single concrete and they were all tiled with 60 x 120 tiles.
The structure is still standing today without any sign of visible defect.

The world is constantly evolving. We need to move with time.

Pic 1-4 | Polystyrene Ceiling

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:06am On Dec 09, 2021
I have the option of using steel or concrete to make a cross in my ongoing project but I went for something different (lightweight, cleaner, cheaper and faster to build).

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 8:01am On Dec 09, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

If it’s for your personal residence I wouldn’t bother using it.

Opt for simple POP without a complex design instead to save materials.

Good luck on your project.

Seconded ™✓

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:10am On Dec 09, 2021
Badadvisor:

Bro it's really crazy. Spent almost 400k now just to settle local government and indigens meanwhile i just intend fencing and gating it I'm yet to begin anything meaningful yet with the two plots.

They fear soldiers more than anything… if you can get a soldier to come around and pose as the owner trust me you won’t see them again !!
Work in my area though….

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 8:12am On Dec 09, 2021
Temi1:

Thanks for the feedback. He's quoted 500k for labour. Oh so the materials might not even be enough? shocked
if you select
Less complicated design he might pull it off with that materials

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 8:14am On Dec 09, 2021
n3xt:

Just 2 days ago, I got a call from LafargeHolcim (one of the largest producer of cement in Africa). They wanted a storey building completely designed and built with Lightgauge steel.

My last 2 projects had Fibre cement Cladding that reduced the need for cement.

Just yesterday, I found and decided to experiment polystyrene ceilings. The prices are very interesting and friends. It’s lightweight and also very easy to use.

I was able to pull an over 300sqm suspended ceiling within 72 hours because I wasn’t doing the conventional pop installation.

I’ve shared picture of a gate column built by the Chinese in 2014. It has no single concrete and they were all tiled with 60 x 120 tiles.
The structure is still standing today without any sign of visible defect.

The world is constantly evolving. We need to move with time.

Pic 1-4 | Polystyrene Ceiling

At the end of the day you find out that this alternative is more expensive than the usual way …:

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:26am On Dec 09, 2021
bolu1986:

At the end of the day you find out that this alternative is more expensive than the usual way …:

Yeah but the true measure of success is how much time we’re able to save whilst achieving top quality finish and not how much money.

Often times, we use our time to save more money instead of using our money to save more time. Then the project drags and inflation set in and eventually the project get stalled or abandoned.

If you compare the difference, the cost is really not that much but the time spent can’t be compared if it’s a large scale project.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:54am On Dec 09, 2021
bolu1986:
if you select
Less complicated design he might pull it off with that materials

This is so bland.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 10:30am On Dec 09, 2021
HURRY!! GET YOURS NOW !!!

SCHNEIDER 1.5KVA 24V (1000w solar input) pure sine wave inverter ..... Unit price 83,000. 2 units above 80,000

SCHNEIDER 850VA 12V hybrid pure sine wave inverter ..... Unit price 65,000. 2 units above 62,000

SCHNEIDER connext 8548 inverter ... 1,500,000

SCHNEIDER connext 60a mppt .... 295,000

SCHNEIDER connext 100a mppt .... 700,000

SOROTEC 3KVA TL REVO VMII 3KW 24V - 100A MPPT ... 230,000

SOROTEC 5.5KVA TL REVO VMII 5.5KW - 48V - 100A MPPT .... 300,000

SOROTEC 5.5KVA TL PREVO VMII 5.5KW - 48V - 100A MPPT (PARALLEL) ... "Updating"

SOROTEC WIFI MODULE
WIFI MONITORING ROD ... 28,000

German Phocos hybrid inverter 5kw 48v - 80A MPPT .... 590,000

VOLTRONIC 3KVA - VM - TL
AXPERT VM 3000 - 24V - 1500W MPPT 60A ... "Updating"

VOLTRONIC 5KVA - VM - TL
AXPERT VM 5000 - 48V - 3000W MPPT 60A ... 350,000

VOLTRONIC 5KVA - MKS - TL
AXPERT MKS 5000 - 48V - 4000W MPPT 80A ... 395,000

VOLTRONIC 7.2KVA - MAX - TL
AXPERT Max 7200 - 48V (P) - 8000W MPPT 80A .... 730,000

VOLTRONIC WIFI MODULE
WIFI CONNECTIVITY MODULE ...... 29,000

VOLTRONIC PARALLEL KIT
PARALLEL CONNECTION KIT .... 30,000

GROWATT 3KVA TL KVA 48V HVM-50A MPPT .. 260,000

GROWATT 3.5kVA TL KVA 48V ES-80A MPPT .. 450,000

GROWATT 5KVA TL5KVA 48V HVM-P-80A MPPT .. "updating"

GROWATT 5KVA TL5KVA 48V ES-100A MPPT Battery less hybrid inverter ... 550,000

GROWATT 6KVA T6KVA 48V HVM TRANS -80A MPPT ... Out of stock

GROWATT 8KVA T8KVA 48V HVM TRANS -120A MPPT ... 950,000

GROWATT 10KVA T10KVA 48V HVM TRANS -120A MPPT .. Out of stock

GROWATT 12KVA T12KVA 48V HVM TRANS -120A MPPT ... 1,300,000

EPEVER 5KVA 5KVA 48V 80A MPPT PV200V ... 350,000

USA TROJAN 12v 205A battery .... 223,000

Shoto 4.8kwh lithium ion Battery .. 880,000

BATTERY BALANCER 48V .... 35,000

BATTERY DESULFATOR/REJUVENATOR REJUVENATOR 12V, 24V, 36V, 60V, 72V ... 35,000

Quanta 200a battery ..... 153,000 "2 units above" , 155,000 "unit price".

Exide Index 200a battery ..... 160,000

Matrix 220a battery ... 125,000

Starplus 220a Tubular battery .... 118,000

Exulted 230a Tubular battery.... 130,000

Genus 230a lead carbon Tubular battery... 140,000

Ritar 200AH 12V battery price is 145,000/- per battery.

Ritar 150AH 12V slim ..... 132,000

Ritar 105AH 12V Slim ... 122,000

MERCURY BATTERY Available Now With One Year Warranty!

Mercury 100ahs deep cycle battery ..75,000

Mercury 220a tubular ... 125,000

Pure sine wave 1kva 12v inverter ... 65,000

Epever 40a mppt "programmable user friendly lcd interface" .... 70,000

Pro solar roof mount set "confortably takes four units of 300 to 600w panels" .... 35,000

All brand new with standard warranty!

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP ONLY::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 10:37am On Dec 09, 2021
WE BUY DEAD / SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead deep cycle batteries from any state to Lagos (Terms & Condition applies) ..

12v 200a .... N20,000
12v 150a.....N15,000
12v 100a.......N10,000
2v 500a ......N6,000

If outside Lagos state , send the scrap batteries to your nearby Lagos park & get your payment alert immediately after confirmatory remarks from me with the transport company manager / secretary or driver.

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: https:///2348170385620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 11:34am On Dec 09, 2021
Good morning...... contact me for your any kinds of woods, woodwork etc all at affordable prices.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (2633) (2634) (2635) (2636) (2637) (2638) (2639) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Chae, gbadexy(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.