Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,350 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2637) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375999 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2634) (2635) (2636) (2637) (2638) (2639) (2640) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 12:22pm On Dec 09, 2021
hslbroker2:

If the carpentery work is done properly and the aluminum installation done professional there is no way wind can pull it off, if you are using pop ceiling, you will reduce noise and heat
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:31pm On Dec 09, 2021
Another barb wire is available for free around ijaye Lagos… if you are in need buzz me for pick up…

We removed to install electric fence.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 12:35pm On Dec 09, 2021
Our on going project. Almost completed.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2021
Aforxzy:
Our on going project. Almost completed..

Love this type of flat roof with the ceiling design

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Imas007(m): 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2021
My Good people of Nairaland,

How much will it cost to fix parapet on a building measuring 22.7 by 11m? , roofing and installing milano. Please i would really appreciate the roofing project quotation and accessories.

https://www.nairaland.com/6860261/construction-2-flats-gra-benin#108266133

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:14pm On Dec 09, 2021
Aforxzy:

Super clean!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by guzbit(m): 1:39pm On Dec 09, 2021
Imas007:
My Good people of Nairaland,

How much will it cost to fix parapet on a building measuring 22.7 by 11m? , roofing and installing milano. Please i would really appreciate the roofing project quotation and accessories.

https://www.nairaland.com/6860261/construction-2-flats-gra-benin#108266133

Thanks
You can kindly lets chat on WhatsApp 0809 116 3061 for the roofing project quotation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:20pm On Dec 09, 2021
spyder880:

I have never experienced this in Enugu. Nobody dare return to my site after I have settled the community and is holding the community receipts. Follow these steps below.

1. Buy your land.
2. Move into the land as soon as possible
3. Clear the land
4. Dump one trip of sand and one trip of stone on, or very close to the land
5. Send 2 guys to start doing an excavation on the land, then stand back and watch
6. The youths will come, the fakes and the real ones
7. Make your enquiries about who the real ones are, visit them in their houses
8. Ask of their administrative structure and find out who is head
9. Engage the head man and find out the fees
10. Pay the fees and obtain your receipt. Every community in Enugu town has a receipt.

I have never seen where the youths of same community will return after being paid, except the money wasn't paid to the right people who owns the land.

Community development levies in Enugu are paid once, and for the life of the project, they dont usually come back again even if the government changes. They can only introduce other payments like the security levies which they use to pay security guards.

However, if you stop work and abandon the site for a long period of time, say 2 to 5 years, the people will come back when you resume and ask for more money, even insisting that you pay again (they will be arguing that the land has been sold to another person, and the new man must settle them afresh)

But in the end, a good negotiating skill will save you a lot of money. Welcome them when they come, smile often, but be firm. Ask to meet them in their area, maybe a local pub. Get to know them, collect numbers and assure them of your partnership with them for future business. Some of these guys are really nice people when approached right. I have seen cases where my payment was lowered because of the way I approached them.

Spyder you really know road, no be small. This approach work perfectly in Delta as well. I've adopted this approach in Ikorodu (Lagos) with same successful results.

People please note that ancillary fees like community, youths, etc are part and parcel of the total cost of the land. No need to feel frustrated. Just identify the right people and WORK with them. Don't be confrontational. In situations like this gra gra gra no de work. Be calm and be the grown up and you will arrest the situation.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 3:46pm On Dec 09, 2021
Aforxzy:

Nice
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bukolo: 4:59pm On Dec 09, 2021
Good evening. Trust work is going on well. How much is electric fence and how do you charge? Thank you.

twinskenny:
Another barb wire is available for free around ijaye Lagos… if you are in need buzz me for pick up…

We removed to install electric fence.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 5:03pm On Dec 09, 2021
michlins:
Your home is not a prison. Let's do something beautiful for you
Is a See through gate okay in Nigeria? When it comes to privacy and security

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2021
DrGoodman:

Your head must be paining you, if not you won't be making the post in bold.

How many checkpoints will you have to settle police and army between abuja and onitsha, with the long queues and unnecessary delays

How many thousand potholes will your vehicle dance through from Lagos to abuja, with the risk of replacing your ball joints, tie rods, shock absorbers and entire suspension on the road

The transport fare disparity is a planned event where the north, through official and non official means are illegally fighting the south for economic parity.

The south is being targeted with economic blockade and infrastructural neglect by the federal government and the same neglected south is blaming themselves. Onitsha ports Has been rendered redundant as they cannot allow it's use. Anambra new airport is being stopped, Enugu airport, Ibadan rails, Onne ports, Seme border, Lagos wharf are all being slowed down by the north for obvious reasons.

Sometimes you need to think before making some statements.
With these your points, shouldn’t things be more expensive in the north than the south?

You made mention of transport and bad road as the reasons why things are more expensive but you’ve forgotten that the NORTH get most of their materials from the south, lagos port and the distance between lagos and the North is over 15hrs.

You made mention of redundant onitsha port but the HAUSAs do not have ports too and they also rely on the south ports.

So, your points really do not show why HAUSAS makes their goods more affordable than the south since they all got it through “lagos port”

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:20pm On Dec 09, 2021
Born2conquer:

in a public or private estate,yes it is advisable.

Over here, people use this see through gate first and then a closed one behind
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:52pm On Dec 09, 2021
bukolo:
Good evening. Trust work is going on well. How much is electric fence and how do you charge? Thank you.

3k per meter…. Single strand Alluminium wire… z13 energizer…

Good evening to you.

Rate can be lower depending on total length
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bukolo: 6:19pm On Dec 09, 2021
Your number so I can call you.

Thank you.
twinskenny:
3k per meter…. Single strand Alluminium wire… z13 energizer…

Good evening to you.

Rate can be lower depending on total length
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:20pm On Dec 09, 2021
bukolo:
Your number so I can call you.

Thank you.
08051355133 call and WhatsApp
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:21pm On Dec 09, 2021
Born2conquer:

I like a see through better.

An armed robber won't care if your gate is blocked or see through.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bukolo: 6:24pm On Dec 09, 2021
Thank you.
twinskenny:
08051355133 call and WhatsApp
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 6:29pm On Dec 09, 2021
/

Which installation comes first on a staircase for better aesthetic: Tiles or handrails?

cc: Spyder880, Egunmogaji2, n3xt

/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 6:55pm On Dec 09, 2021
n3xt:

Just 2 days ago, I got a call from LafargeHolcim (one of the largest producer of cement in Africa). They wanted a storey building completely designed and built with Lightgauge steel.

My last 2 projects had Fibre cement Cladding that reduced the need for cement.

Just yesterday, I found and decided to experiment polystyrene ceilings. The prices are very interesting and friends. It’s lightweight and also very easy to use.

I was able to pull an over 300sqm suspended ceiling within 72 hours because I wasn’t doing the conventional pop installation.

I’ve shared picture of a gate column built by the Chinese in 2014. It has no single concrete and they were all tiled with 60 x 120 tiles.
The structure is still standing today without any sign of visible defect.

The world is constantly evolving. We need to move with time.

Pic 1-4 | Polystyrene Ceiling
Good evening sir
What material is the 1st and 2nd pic?
Doesn't really look like polystyrene
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:59pm On Dec 09, 2021
InvertedHammer:
/

Which installation comes first on a staircase for better aesthetic: Tiles or handrails?

/

Tiles before handrail in most upscale developments.

The best approach will also depend on your design and installation method.

Pic 1 - Installing Concrete Balustrade
Pic 2 - Installing Wrought Iron Railing
Pic 3 - Installing Curved Glass Balustrade

Then there’s aluminum and metal rail installation which requires installing the poles before tile work for rigidity.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 6:59pm On Dec 09, 2021
Born2conquer:

I've studied this issue a lot.

Fully closed gates and fences without more give a false illusion of security.

Without more they aid thieves instead of hindering them if you happen to be the subject of their attack.

Think of what happens if they jump in or trick you or anyone and come into the premises.

Without monitored cameras, armed response units, noise and light alarms they will operate totally unhindered.

What would happen if you didn't have a high fence? Or had a see through gate?

Hence I have posted earlier high gates and fences without more is not enough security.

See through fences and lower fences will give the neighborhood a chance to see what's happening that is unusual and may even intervene on your behalf.

After carefully considering the arguments for and against, I opted for see through gates.

This was not my position 5 years ago. I wanted the highest fence and the highest gates possible.

This year following a security review, I opted for see through gates and low front walls. The other three walls are high though.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

For your unique circumstances, security considerations may result in an entirely different decision.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.11alive.com/amp/article/life/safety-tips/how-to-choose-the-best-security-fence-for-home-defense/85-490823714

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:00pm On Dec 09, 2021
bobkezel:

Good evening sir
What material is the 1st and 2nd pic?
Doesn't really look like polystyrene

They’re polystyrene finished with satin paint grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:07pm On Dec 09, 2021
FEGEITOK:

Think of what happens if they jump in or trick you or anyone and come into the premises.

Without monitored cameras, armed response units, noise and light alarms they will operate totally unhindered.

What would happen if you didn't have a high fence? Or had a see through gate?

Hence I have posted earlier high gates and fences without more is not enough security.

See through fences and lower fences will give the neighborhood a chance to see what's happening that is unusual and may even intervene on your behalf.

After carefully considering the arguments for and against, I opted for see through gates.

I just completed one project with fully armed intruder detection system and all the four walls are low.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 7:12pm On Dec 09, 2021
n3xt:

I just completed one project with fully armed intruder detection system and all the four walls are low.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

I like this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:15pm On Dec 09, 2021
michlins:
in a public or private estate,yes it is advisable.

Over here, people use this see through gate first and then a closed one behind

Like they use 2 different gates in one compound?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bobkezel(m): 7:25pm On Dec 09, 2021
n3xt:

They’re polystyrene finished with satin paint grin
Oh! Looks better in white paint...
What's your evaluation about it since you have on hands experience about it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2021
Badadvisor:
My two plots of land in ugwogo i bought that's 10 seconds away from the tarred road.
Decided to fence and gate it, started work on the site indigens came for development fee and 200k was paid.
Now local government came today that we didn't come to their office before starting the construction and stuffs and all their bills was calculated to 280,000, it caused alot of fights cos they stopped work on the site until 150k was deposited before they left.
Honestly I'm tired of this damn country.
Just fence and gate o not like I'm building a structure or something.
This is crazy, is there this really how it's done in other parts of the country?
Enugu state is turning into something else

So sorry about your experience. It's just crazy to mention a few
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2021
bobkezel:

Oh! Looks better in white paint...
What's your evaluation about it since you have on hands experience about it?

It’s cool but you have to handle the installation with care and it must be well planned. You also need to carefully chose the area to install it.

I won’t recommend this inside a residential building because it’s highly flammable and could shrink/melt under relatively high-temperature.

It’s cool if you’re using it for outdoor projects and under slabs in open areas.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2021
InvertedHammer:
/

/
stair rails before tiling

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jummymine(f): 7:45pm On Dec 09, 2021
twinskenny:
very possible if the installer know what to do
Are there special ceiling fans that are used for Pop?Do you sell and install such fans.I wish to install in my house.I am tired of buying standing fan.They spoil easily and also do not circulate well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:47pm On Dec 09, 2021
Jummymine:

Are there special ceiling fans that are used for Pop?Do you sell and install such fans.I wish to install in my house.I am tired of buying standing fan.They spoil easily and also do not circulate well.
yes where is your location? If it’s lagos I will and install for you

(1) (2) (3) ... (2634) (2635) (2636) (2637) (2638) (2639) (2640) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: topsy23, diordaves(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.