Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,985 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2778) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375220 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2775) (2776) (2777) (2778) (2779) (2780) (2781) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 12:20am On Feb 13, 2022
FEGEITOK:
My research on paints indicates that Dulux, Caplux and Sandtex paints are made by the same company targeting different segments of the market/purchasing power.

Correct , used Dulux for my first commercial projects . Wont say i was wowed , maybe after 5 years and I don’t repaint will change my mind cool. Thinking of trying other paints for current builds

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by edyreuben(m): 1:57am On Feb 13, 2022
bixton:

What's your enquiry?
Chat me on 0706 710 2694

Please is there anyone who can help with the question/enquiry above........,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 6:40am On Feb 13, 2022
Another day, another controversial/unpopular (?) post:

This is about estate planning at it’s most basic level - THE WILL. In a thread like this where folks are building real estate assets with the help of our wealthy contractors; chances are, most people need to give some thought to this.

Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer nor a financial planner nor any kind of expert on the subject, just a curious mind who possibly knows a bit more than the average layman because I like to do my research before making decisions. This is a very sensitive topic and I am not expecting that you folks are going to tell us all about your personal will decisions but I’m hoping to stir up something for those who may not have thought about it deeply. It’s a very, very good idea to do your research into this issue and make sure you have one before the end comes. You’ve made sacrifices, you’ve worked hard all your life, it would be a travesty to leave the decision on who gets what to in-fighting or just plain luck on the part of who is able to grab what quicker. I would suggest pay an actual, qualified and competent lawyer to do up the will. Sure, there are cheap, online kits but this is not an area you want to cheap out on!

I think of a will as the opportunity to make sure your sweat and labor go where YOU WISH after you’re gone because ultimately, the labourer deserves to choose who enjoys his/her sweat. The choice of beneficiary(ies) might not be popular in certain quarters but I say to the living “ is it really right to decide what a person does with their sweat?”

Personally, making a will was not an experience I was eager to do because it forces you to face your mortality but we did it eventually because we wanted to make sure our offspring would be taken care of. As said offspring become older and financially independent, the contents of the will might change to allow other parties get a share too and maybe not. Fun fact- we have been assured by our Gen Z that in the very unlikely event we leave a billion dollars, they would give a lot of that money away to charity because “there should be no such thing as billionaires.” So, good to know how your would-be beneficiary(ies) think.

If you live in the west (I do not know the probate laws of individual countries so maybe it’s not all western countries?),a will is imperative if you have assets that you do not want to go to probate. Estate and probate laws differ between countries. For example, in some, if the deceased’s bank accounts are not joint with anyone else, the contents of that account can be subject to probate and estate taxes when the person dies. If the account is joint, the contents pass on to the surviving account holder (s) with no probate requirement. Again, I’m not a lawyer and I can’t speak for every country so, definitely verify what obtains in your jurisdiction. Unfortunately, I know very little about Nigeria’s probate laws but maybe someone in that field can educate us on the basic rules?

There’s this common thing in Naija where men leave their inheritance (with or without a will) to their siblings who then decide whether or not the deceased’s wife and kids get a share. This is very strange to me because there’s no universe in which any of my brothers or sisters would leave their inheritance to me. As an executor or trustee, yes, but not for me to inherit what they have and the feeling is mutual . But, in certain families, the siblings are ranked higher than the wife and kids.

I realize there are scenarios where a person does not trust their spouse to take care of the kids so they entrust their siblings with that responsibility but how about when the kids are grown and knowledgeable already and can directly benefit from the inheritance? This idea of leaving the assets to extended family cuts across all of Nigeria, every group practises it. Maybe because I’m female and I know that women and their kids usually bear the brunt of such decisions, I can’t help but wonder why a man would marry and make babies with a woman he does not trust, leaving her to the mercy of greedy relatives after he’s gone undecided

There is also the issue of if you’re leaving the inheritance to responsible people. I have been working since I graduated and I know I would be hesitant to leave an inheritance to someone I believed would waste it on drugs, gambling, promiscuity, alcohol or any other social vices. Most Nigerians want their kids to benefit wholly or partially from the inheritance so it becomes more important that if you’ve worked to acquire your assets, you want it to go to those that will treat it with prudence. That’s something we have to think of as we raise our kids. God knows I’d sooner give it all to charity than kids that would waste it all. Our days of sacrifice have to count for something.

Till date, many learned and wealthy Nigerians still die intestate (without a will). With Nigerians, I suppose there is that complacency of “na we-we” after all who would dare take over your assets if not your family but with the way the country is going, I believe spelling out these things is becoming more important than ever.

****modified****

That reminds me to say that a will can be a once and forever thing but can and should be modified IF NECESSARY as our circumstances change. God forbid our sweat to go to those we no longer want it to go to on the technicality that we “forgot” to revise it with a lawyer. That’s enough to resurrect a person from the land of the dead angry

Thank you for reading.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:52am On Feb 13, 2022
[quote author=MMotimo post=110183847][/quote]

I’ve cleared my schedule for Monday and will set an appointment with my lawyer to review the existing document.

My situation is a bit peculiar since I’m a single lad.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 7:01am On Feb 13, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

I’ve cleared my schedule for Monday and will set an appointment with my lawyer to review the existing document.

My situation is a bit peculiar since I’m a single lad.

Thanks for sharing.

I love the sound of that. That reminds me to say that a will can be a once and forever thing but can and should be modified if necessary as our circumstances change. God forbid our sweat to go to those we no longer want it to go to on the technicality that we “forgot” to revise it with a lawyer. That’s enough to resurrect a person!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 7:10am On Feb 13, 2022
[quote author=MMotimo post=110183847][/quote]
Solid!
Why most nigerians do die without a will
1)Ignorance, most believe WILL is meant for the very wealthy people and that their family would share what's left accordingly.
2) Ignorance again, Most people do not factor in "Death" to their day to day activities, we've all forgotten DEATH can come in at anytime so they live and postponed the "will" to the critical moment.

You can start preparing your WILL the very moment you start earning your first money and you can always EDIT as you grow.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 7:12am On Feb 13, 2022
rmx:

Correct , used Dulux for my first commercial projects . Wont say i was wowed , maybe after 5 years and I don’t repaint will change my mind cool. Thinking of trying other paints for current builds

Won't say I was wowed?

My concern is a paint job that still looks good 5 or 10 years later, though the time varies between exterior and interior walls due to the pressure of the elements, but anything less than 5 years is not reasonable to me.

I have used cheaper paints. They look worn out after a year or less than a year requiring a repaint too soon.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:32am On Feb 13, 2022
MMotimo:

I love the sound of that. That reminds me to say that a will can be a once and forever thing but can and should be modified if necessary as our circumstances change. God forbid our sweat to go to those we no longer want it to go to on the technicality that we “forgot” to revise it with a lawyer. That’s enough to resurrect a person!

Madam, if you saw the way I shot out of bed. My situation is as described. In the rush of surviving Nigeria I’ve forgotten that an ex is still 100% beneficiary. No way Jose.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 10:01am On Feb 13, 2022
FEGEITOK:

Won't say I was wowed?

My concern is a paint job that still looks good 5 or 10 years later, though the time varies between exterior and interior walls due to the pressure of the elements, but anything less than 5 years is not reasonable to me.

I have used cheaper paints. They look worn out after a year or less than a year requiring a repaint too soon.

Maybe the paint was just over marketed to me and after using was like so this is it smiley, maybe the premium is in how long it will last , Berger and plascon were the others I considered then
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 10:18am On Feb 13, 2022
rmx:

Maybe the paint was just over marketed to me and after using was like so this is it smiley, maybe the premium is in how long it will last , Berger and plascon were the others I considered then

Smiles....I was a bit confused by your review, now I understand.

I am still thinking if the 77k for 20L is worth it. Sadly we don't have reviews here like we have online for other parts of the world. I am really interested in learning how long it lasted before needing a refresh.

Until I have that information, I think the 39k 20L is an acceptable compromise.

I have actually been talking to Sandtex. I love their range of colors and the fact that they have machines in their stores to tint the paint to any color I want.

From my research only Caplux had equal capabilities.

Berger was ruled out because they didn't have the deep colors I wanted to use.

I want to use uncommon colors in my build and I didn't like what the roadside paint shop did for me when I patronized them 2 years ago. Hence the research that led to Dulux, Caplux and Sandtex.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 10:50am On Feb 13, 2022
Men @ Work.. Another Roofing Project Going on @ Ajuwon

Are you Done with your woodwork and in Need of Quality Stone Coated Roofing Sheet? Please Call/WhatsApp 08085310359
Customers Satisfaction is our Watch Word..

Shingle Design (Coffee Brown with Black patches)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:52am On Feb 13, 2022
FEGEITOK:

Smiles....I was a bit confused by your review, now I understand.

I am still thinking if the 77k for 20L is worth it. Sadly we don't have reviews here like we have online for other parts of the world. I am really interested in learning how long it lasted before needing a refresh.

Until I have that information, I think the 39k 20L is an acceptable compromise.

I have actually been talking to Sandtex. I love their range of colors and the fact that they have machines in their stores to tint the paint to any color I want.

From my research only Caplux had equal capabilities.

Berger was ruled out because they didn't have the deep colors I wanted to use.

I want to use uncommon colors in my build and I didn't like what the roadside paint shop did for me when I patronized them 2 years ago. Hence the research that led to Dulux, Caplux and Sandtex.

For exterior wall use weather shield dulux.
For interior use there trade type.
That is if you are going for dulux

I used same here for these two diff buildings
4yrs Ago and 7yrs ago still looking good till today r
No repaint since then.
But I don’t know if it’s still remain same quality ooo although I have some others building that I just painted few years back with same paint and caplux for like 3yrs 2yrs 1yr

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CMC180: 11:17am On Feb 13, 2022
Dears

Anybody with contact/referral for this kind of drill in Abuja/Nasarawa axis ..........

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:22am On Feb 13, 2022
rotecch77:

No repaint since then.
But I don’t know if it’s still remain same quality ooo although I have some others building that I just painted few years back with same paint and caplux for like 3yrs 2yrs 1yr
I know this project.. it is well
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 11:26am On Feb 13, 2022
Permit me to digress

I observed here in Nigeria we rarely use plywood for kitchen cabinetry works and get them painted therafer with high quality wood paints. I noticed most home renos on TV do this a lot and I feel it gives lots of options as years go by.

Am I making sense or are we just resigned to MDF/HDF combo?

rotecch77:

No repaint since then.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:12pm On Feb 13, 2022
twinskenny:

I know this project.. it is well

You are correct
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:24pm On Feb 13, 2022
ceelog:
Permit me to digress

I observed here in Nigeria we rarely use plywood for kitchen cabinetry works and get them painted therafer with high quality wood paints. I noticed most home renos on TV do this a lot and I feel it gives lots of options as years go by.

You are very correct with the observation but the problem is that most furniture maker are lazy this days some are not good to work with natural wood.
What most of them do now is “ cut and fix “ work materials “ mdf and HDF board.
My 50yrs plus old furniture man told me 3 days ago the hardship they face now to get more Labour to do real wood work, this bring the high cost on any real wood work like doors, kitchen cabinets etc

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 12:31pm On Feb 13, 2022
rotecch77:

No repaint since then.

This information is gold.

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:48pm On Feb 13, 2022
ceelog:
Permit me to digress

You are very correct with the observation but the problem is that most furniture maker are lazy this days some are not good to work with natural wood.
What most of them do now is “ cut and fix “ work materials “ mdf and HDF board.
My 50yrs plus old furniture man told me 3 days ago the hardship they face now to get more Labour to do real wood work, this bring the high cost on any real wood work like doors, kitchen cabinets etc

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:52pm On Feb 13, 2022
Born2conquer:

Solid!
Why most nigerians do die without a will
1)Ignorance, most believe WILL is meant for the very wealthy people and that their family would share what's left accordingly.
2) Ignorance again, Most people do not factor in "Death" to their day to day activities, we've all forgotten DEATH can come in at anytime so they live and postponed the "will" to the critical moment.

You can start preparing your WILL the very moment you start earning your first money and you can always EDIT as you grow.
True talk, @bold. Death is like closing your eyes to take 5 minutes nap. It' with HIS grace to open your eyes again. If we factor it, we won't have all those ritual killing, cheating, oppressing, government officials stealing our resources, and get rich overnight syndrome that is ravaging our society. The Muslims and Christians leaders that are suppose to preach morals in our society when government fails in his responsibilities, are the ones fueling those immorality behavior in our society, by accepting donations and preaching prosperity without job. Imagine preaching, then receiving alert in your account without working; you do this because you're expecting payment.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 1:06pm On Feb 13, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Madam, if you saw the way I shot out of bed. My situation is as described. In the rush of surviving Nigeria I’ve forgotten that an ex is still 100% beneficiary. No way Jose.

Almost lucky ex.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:46pm On Feb 13, 2022
somehow:

Almost lucky ex.

Abi o. Ka ma resu.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:48pm On Feb 13, 2022
I want to come to Lagos for furniture shopping. Which area do I need to go to for imported leather sofas and modern mid-century furnitures? Time to sample the Buhari train.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrinceLat(m): 3:40pm On Feb 13, 2022
Good day all,

An update on my last post here, concerning the wiring of my 3 bedroom, after seeking help from twinskenny and Topsy23 concerning the quantity of wires to be used, i added one each to their proposed quantity to be on the safe side.

Day one
He called that he'll be there before 8a.m, i said very good, he did get there before 8, called me and 30mins later i was there with him, work started and they worked till almost 5pm, he now said he asked me to buy 6 bundles of red 1.5mm, but i bought 5, that now it's not enough, that we will need 2 more, i said i have no cash for that, he then suggested that the 10mm is still remaining so he'll take it back to the seller and use it to get the two red 1.5mm, i was happy, even praising him......

Day two
The previous day, he told me he'll come early again the next day, so i had to give the key to my neighbour, so that he can gain entry when he comes, surprisingly he called around 7 am, that he's on site, like the previous day, i quickly rushed down there again, he brought the two bundles of 1.5mm that he said is needed to complete the job, work commenced, around 3pm, he said the 2.5mm is more than enough that he'll take one bundle of red and black back to the seller and get like half of them back to save money, so that it won't go to waste if he decided to open the new bundles, once again i was excited, i said good choice, go ahead, he quickly put the two bundles in a sack or so i presumed, but while he was working, i decided to check the sack, and saw 3 bundles of wire instead, i challenged him, he said he mentioned 3 not 2 to me, i didn't want to drag it further, so long as we both know it's 3 that's in the sack, no p.....then he says he's stopping the work so that he can come early to finish it as he has other jobs the next day.

Day 3
I told myself something is fishy with this come early style of this electrician, so i decided I'll beat him to his own game, i got to the site 6.20a.m, lo and behold, he came exactly 6.30am, it was so dark, you could hardly see self, so i told him how do you intend to work with the day this dark, he said he needed to quickly finish my job as he is to start another one that same day. I asked him, where's the half bundle of the different wires your said you'll bring, he brought out wires that were hardly up to 20 yards, i laughed and said but you promised 50metres of the wires each, he wanted to start using them, i said no, use the ones remaining.

That was when he started to pull the wires longer than usual, in other to justify him using the one he brought, not to bore you guys with long epistle,

He opened the two bundles of 1.5mm red that he brought simultaneously, which he barely used (claims he'll still use it for looping when we are doing the fittings ....i have like one and a half bundle left) i was able to save wires worth ₦50,500 in cash and still have left over wires that could fetch me ₦30,000 if i decided to sell it,

All these artisans i fear them, it was very obvious in his reactions afterwards that i caught on to his thieving scheme , i remember saying here that except he eats the wires, I'll be there from start to finish, before he devised the early coming tactics when he saw no way for him to steal my wires.

Thanks to the people in this forum, many thanks to Topsy23 and twinskenny, i do not take your input for granted.

I decided to share this, so others can learn, thanks all

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:41pm On Feb 13, 2022
ceelog:
Permit me to digress

The issue is multifaceted.

The woodwork industry like every other industry in Nigeria continue to suffer years of lack of investment. To adopt wood as a solution in the building sub-trade, a nation needs a timber subsector (industry/factory) that can kiln or naturally season dry timber and then CUT THE TIMBER STRAIGHT into various sizes for retail purchase to make kitchen cabinets and internal and external doors and windows.

Due to lack of investment over the years, sawmills up and down the country to date still use machines dating way back before independence to saw raw unseasoned timber into sizes for retail purchase. The results are bent wabbled timber not seasoned. It is a challenge to use such poor quality timber to build kitchen cabinets, doors and windows even with the requisite skill and training.

So the adoption of MDF/HDF which are to a large extent seasoned and cut straight is the classical Nigeria short cut ready made and pure water approach to life.

Another fall out of the lack of investment is the death of the apprenticeship scheme in Nigeria since the introduction of okada/Keke business in the 1980s. The young ones who are not academically inclined have not being encourage by the government to learn a trade like carpentry, joinery or woodwork. So they take the short cut route to employment by riding okada/Keke for business. Senior tradespeople were also not encouraged to continue to offer apprenticeship schemes to the young. The technical colleges/school suffer same neglect by successive government. So today we don't have skilled woodworkers, joiners or carpenters. What we have are just fly by night cut and join pretenders. These people will struggle to put together a wooden kitchen cabinets of the type you have in mind. You will probably need to import the needed wood and labour for a wood kitchen cabinets solution. But if you want cut and join, dem full.

I don't want to bring politics here but it is easy for me to say that Nigeria would have imploded long ago from youth unemployment if not for the Igbo Nation and their apprentice schemes; boys and girls learning work from their oga/madam. The Igbo Nation apprenticeship schemes empower youths than the oil sector and communication sectors put together but unfortunately this is mainly only in the retail trade (buying and selling). If only the Igbo Nation can also offer same opportunity in carpentry, the situation will be different I tell you.

Not until we focus on trade skills instead of paper qualifications, wooden kitchen cabinets as a widespread solution in Nigeria will continue to look like rocket science.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:17pm On Feb 13, 2022
PrinceLat:
Good day all,

An update on my last post here, concerning the wiring of my 3 bedroom, after seeking help from twinskenny and Topsy23 concerning the quantity of wires to be used, i added one each to their proposed quantity to be on the safe side.

Day one
He called that he'll be there before 8a.m, i said very good, he did get there before 8, called me and 30mins later i was there with him, work started and they worked till almost 5pm, he now said he asked me to buy 6 bundles of red 1.5mm, but i bought 5, that now it's not enough, that we will need 2 more, i said i have no cash for that, he then suggested that the 10mm is still remaining so he'll take it back to the seller and use it to get the two red 1.5mm, i was happy, even praising him......

Day two
The previous day, he told me he'll come early again the next day, so i had to give the key to my neighbour, so that he can gain entry when he comes, surprisingly he called around 7 am, that he's on site, like the previous day, i quickly rushed down there again, he brought the two bundles of 1.5mm that he said is needed to complete the job, work commenced, around 3pm, he said the 2.5mm is more than enough that he'll take one bundle of red and black back to the seller and get like half of them back to save money, so that it won't go to waste if he decided to open the new bundles, once again i was excited, i said good choice, go ahead, he quickly put the two bundles in a sack or so i presumed, but while he was working, i decided to check the sack, and saw 3 bundles of wire instead, i challenged him, he said he mentioned 3 not 2 to me, i didn't want to drag it further, so long as we both know it's 3 that's in the sack, no p.....then he says he's stopping the work so that he can come early to finish it as he has other jobs the next day.

Day 3
I told myself something is fishy with this come early style of this electrician, so i decided I'll beat him to his own game, i got to the site 6.20a.m, lo and behold, he came exactly 6.30am, it was so dark, you could hardly see self, so i told him how do you intend to work with the day this dark, he said he needed to quickly finish my job as he is to start another one that same day. I asked him, where's the half bundle of the different wires your said you'll bring, he brought out wires that were hardly up to 20 yards, i laughed and said but you promised 50metres of the wires each, he wanted to start using them, i said no, use the ones remaining.

That was when he started to pull the wires longer than usual, in other to justify him using the one he brought, not to bore you guys with long epistle,

He opened the two bundles of 1.5mm red that he brought simultaneously, which he barely used (claims he'll still use it for looping when we are doing the fittings ....i have like one and a half bundle left) i was able to save wires worth ₦50,500 in cash and still have left over wires that could fetch me ₦30,000 if i decided to sell it,

All these artisans i fear them, it was very obvious in his reactions afterwards that i caught on to his thieving scheme , i remember saying here that except he eats the wires, I'll be there from start to finish, before he devised the early coming tactics when he saw no way for him to steal my wires.

Thanks to the people in this forum, many thanks to Topsy23 and twinskenny, i do not take your input for granted.

grin grin

You see the reason why some of them don't grow? How much will he even make? Maybe 80k maybe less.. now there is a dent on his integrity.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:21pm On Feb 13, 2022
PrinceLat:
Good day all,

Day one

Day two

Day 3

You are welcome Sir, you are smarter than him

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:58pm On Feb 13, 2022
twinskenny:

grin grin

You see the reason why some of them don't grow? How much will he even make? Maybe 80k maybe less.. now there is a dent on his integrity.

you're the one who is concerned about growth and integrity.

Many cares about that quick buck and nothing else
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:37pm On Feb 13, 2022
diordaves:

The woodwork industry like every other industry in Nigeria continue to suffer years of lack of investment. To adopt wood as a solution in the building sub-trade, a nation needs a timber subsector (industry/factory) that can kiln or naturally season dry timber and then CUT THE TIMBER STRAIGHT into various sizes for retail purchase to make kitchen cabinets and internal and external doors and windows.

Due to lack of investment over the years, sawmills up and down the country to date still use machines dating way back before independence to saw raw unseasoned timber into sizes for retail purchase. The results are bent wabbled timber not seasoned. It is a challenge to use such poor quality timber to build kitchen cabinets, doors and windows even with the requisite skill and training.

So the adoption of MDF/HDF which are to a large extent seasoned and cut straight is the classical Nigeria short cut ready made and pure water approach to life.

Another fall out of the lack of investment is the death of the apprenticeship scheme in Nigeria since the introduction of okada/Keke business in the 1980s. The young ones who are not academically inclined have not being encourage by the government to learn a trade like carpentry, joinery or woodwork. So they take the short cut route to employment by riding okada/Keke for business. Senior tradespeople were also not encouraged to continue to offer apprenticeship schemes to the young. The technical colleges/school suffer same neglect by successive government. So today we don't have skilled woodworkers, joiners or carpenters. What we have are just fly by night cut and join pretenders. These people will struggle to put together a wooden kitchen cabinets of the type you have in mind. You will probably need to import the needed wood and labour for a wood kitchen cabinets solution. But if you want cut and join, dem full.

I don't want to bring politics here but it is easy for me to say that Nigeria would have imploded long ago from youth unemployment if not for the Igbo Nation and their apprentice schemes; boys and girls learning work from their oga/madam. The Igbo Nation apprenticeship schemes empower youths than the oil sector and communication sectors put together but unfortunately this is mainly only in the retail trade (buying and selling). If only the Igbo Nation can also offer same opportunity in carpentry, the situation will be different I tell you.

Not until we focus on trade skills instead of paper qualifications, wooden kitchen cabinets as a widespread solution in Nigeria will continue to look like rocket science.
Well written and on point.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:53pm On Feb 13, 2022
diordaves:

tell you the truth, even the Igbo apprenticeship system is dying.

Right now, traders no longer take apprentices but will rather employ people to work and get paid. Unfortunately these people are more interested in their salaries than taking the skills. For the past few years, not a single young person have come to do apprenticeship program in my business. Not just me but my colleagues too. They will come today and complain about the job being too difficult.

The advent of scam "Yahoo" isn't helping matters at all. Why spend years under the scorching heat of the sun when you can dedicate months on pressing phone and suddenly you're a millionaire.

Wahala dey this country unfortunately both the leaders and masses don't even realize it yet. In a decade or two, our population will explode and there's no job to lubricate the economy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agoro2u: 6:02pm On Feb 13, 2022
Blessedsunny2:
Still in stock Spanish products available here

How much is this per/m²?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 6:18pm On Feb 13, 2022
[quote author=agoro2u post=110199003]

How much is this perm²?[/quote
60by60 as for now is 7500 per square meters

(1) (2) (3) ... (2775) (2776) (2777) (2778) (2779) (2780) (2781) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.