Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2930) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4432239 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2927) (2928) (2929) (2930) (2931) (2932) (2933) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:52pm On Apr 10, 2022
mufutau55:

I am trying to visualize how they wan do it.
I hope Twinskenny will be keeping us informed.

Hajji M.

The last one is more like it.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:04pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Very good. But I dont think that is what they intended when they casted that stairs. I guess they chnaged their mind. Thanks for the sample pics.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:31pm On Apr 10, 2022
mufutau55:

Very good. But that is not what they intended when they casted that stairs. I guess they chnaged their mind. Thanks for the sample pics.

Hajji M.

Apologies Hajj, I got my wires crossed.

I thought you were talking about this other doozy that Ejire posted.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:27pm On Apr 10, 2022
KelvinCoaster:

The ordeals of Mmotimo.

Suffering and coming here to Bragg and claim rubbish!!

You are very correct

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 6:19pm On Apr 10, 2022
Upside down house

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:20pm On Apr 10, 2022
dongc:
Upside down house
Netherlands?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:42pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Apologies Hajj, I got my wires crossed.
I thought you were talking about this other doozy that Ejire posted.

Got it Sir.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:45pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

You forgot to add my “Padlock Bungalow” grin

They need to see the finished work on that "Padlock Bungalow" now o. smiley Eda o laropin o.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:06pm On Apr 10, 2022
I have a question on something that I've been pondered.

Now that I've shifted into my main house, my 2 bedroom bungalow is just sitting there. I have three options, I think.

1) Rent it out to a hand selected tenant on a yearly basis.

2) Turn it into a AirBnB. This sounds most logical to me since occupancy will be limited. Though it sound fanciful but I haven't done enough research to see the viability due to my location being Elebu.

3) Just leave it alone if it'll be too much hassle. I don't necessarily need the income.

I know that I won't be the first to have this quagmire so I want to tap into experiences and opinions.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Itsrm(m): 7:13pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Now that I've shifted into my main house, my 2 bedroom bungalow is just sitting there. I have three options, I think.

2) Turn it into a AirBnB. This sounds most logical to me since occupancy will be limited. Though it sound fanciful but I haven't done enough research to see the viability due to my location being Elebu.

3) Just leave it alone if it'll be too much hassle. I don't necessarily need the income.

I know that I won't be the first to have this quagmire so I want to tap into experiences and opinions.

Thanks.

How about a 4th option, putting it up for sale? If for any reason this is not an option at this time then option 1 seems to me like your best bet

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:16pm On Apr 10, 2022
Itsrm:

How about a 4th option, putting it up for sale? If for any reason this is not an option at this time then option 1 seem to me like your best bet

Unfortunately it's in the same compound as the main house and thus unsalable.

Option 1 concerns me due to the loss of privacy but it is what it is.

Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:23pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Thanks.

What of shortlet. That is what is reigning in Lagos and people are really making cool money from it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:36pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Thanks.

For me, if I live in a compound full time and if I am blessed money isn't an issue, I will not rent to an outsider.. security, trust issues for me.. and personally, I still be a local man.. I don't like been restrained in my own space..

I like to sit outside alot, eat outside, chit chat outside, dressed in my singlet and shorts and walk around.. I just like to be free in my compound.

Option 1: could be an easy yes for me if I live in the premises part time. If I live there full time, I won't rent it out, if I do ( to raise a bit of income) it has to be someone close to me like a family member or a very close acquaintance, so I can still be free in my space.

Option 2: Air bnb in 9ja shocked I hear people are doing that here in 9ja but I am terrified of that, I could maybe think of airbnb if I don't live in the same compound.. the idea of seeing different people who might possibly use fake ID to book, so you are sharing a compound with someone you dont know and most likely will not know even in your best effort to vet them.. please, man cannot can oo...

Option 3: this will be my choice so I can be free in my own space. If push come to shove, and I want to raise a bit of money, I could grudgingly rent it out if there's a way to section off the bungalow from the main building (fencing).

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:40pm On Apr 10, 2022
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:41pm On Apr 10, 2022
topsy23:

What of shortlet. That is what is reigning in Lagos and people are really making cool money from it

Let me research shortlet. Or if you have time to educate us. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 7:43pm On Apr 10, 2022
Happy Palm Sunday

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:44pm On Apr 10, 2022
Badgers14:

For me, if I live in a compound full time and if I am blessed money isn't an issue, I will not rent to an outsider.. security, trust issues for me.. and personally, I still be a local man.. I don't like been restrained in my own space..

I like to sit outside alot, eat outside, chit chat outside, dressed in my singlet and shorts and walk around.. I just like to be free in my compound.

Option 1: could be an easy yes for me if I live in the premises part time. If I live there full time, I won't rent it out, if I do ( to raise a bit of income) it has to be someone close to me like a family member or a very close acquaintance, so I can still be free in my space.

Option 2: Air bnb in 9ja shocked I hear people are doing that here in 9ja but I am terrified of that, I could maybe think of airbnb if I don't live in the same compound.. the idea of seeing different people who might possibly use fake ID to book, so you are sharing a compound with someone you dont know and most likely will not know even in your best effort to vet them.. please, man cannot can oo...

Option 3: this will be my choice so I can be free in my own space. If push come to shove, and I want to raise a bit of money, I could grudgingly rent it out if there's a way to section off the bungalow from the main building (fencing).

Bestest Buddy #1, I am in my underwear as I type under my carport with my Dobbies frolicking about with each other. I would totally loose that embarassed

Option 3 is looking more like it though it seems wasteful.

Thanks Man.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:45pm On Apr 10, 2022
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kingdemu: 8:03pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

This is not for an abode with toddlers though

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2022
gbadexy:

Truer words have never been spoken.
With offline contractors, there isn't any means of knowing negative feedbacks and reviews from dissatisfied clients unlike what is obtainable here.
Thankfully we have more people coming out to police this thread and prevent newbies from being scammed or taken advantage of.
These are advantages not easily gotten elsewhere.
I've heard painter and some say there are complaints on color by the topmost paint producer and they informed them to drop it, not go and pick it and come back after certain days. Some even complain of some certain colors fading but only the person directly involved knows and not significant prospective new clients.

Absolutely! Topsy23 has a great reputation, he has supplied me wires for my build and all transactions were faceless and there was never any issues! Even up until last week, close to a million and no issue! Please keep it up.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2022
[quote author=Badgers14 post=111826174]

Hmm, this brings an interesting question for me. I purposely built 2 -3 appt. In the back so there will be someone else in the compound, not because of the income but that there will be some other people in the compound. But, privacy is also as important, what to do, what to do! I have heard of horror tenant story! Mind you, I do not plan to live there full time, but when you are keeping a low profile, tenants will know when you are home, locally built in informant! May Almighty God grant us wisdom!

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:23pm On Apr 10, 2022
Kingdemu:
This is not for an abode with toddlers though

Not for any human being really. I wouldn't step foot on it "fo sho"
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 9:06pm On Apr 10, 2022
[quote author=Jeff68 post=111827338][/quote]

Well, this is the scenario that always concerns abroadians..or folks that build a house but don't reside their full time.

I guess it comes down to planning, that's why I think planning is one of the most important if not the most important of an build.

Depending on the layout of the building, one could still achieve their privacy while still renting out to tenants..

The popular style of house to achieve this would be duplex in the front and 2 bedrooms of 2 flats at the back. I know of someone that was lucky, his lot was on the corner with one street in front and another street at the back.. so he built duplex plus 2 bedroom flats at the back, the tenants access their building from the other street and oga landlord access his duplex from the other street.

Another guy I know, he couldn't have separate entrance because of the location of the build and he doesn't leave their full time.. what my suggestion was for him to have his lawyer put a for let sign in front of the duplex, then pretend it was for rent but when people come to enquire, have them fill out a form ( no fee collected.. ) and the lawyer tells the prospective tenant, there's someone in the pipeline already, so when landlord moved in , folks thought he was a tenant that have a job that takes him around, that's why he is not always home ( landlord doesn't live in Nigeria).

Finding good tenants this days seems like Finding a needle in a haystack. With the high cost of build these days. For you to find a tenant that could be able to pay a market rate sometimes (depending on location) , they are yahoo boys. Average Joe with decent jobs with family do struggle sometimes to afford the rent in a new build.. so when you rent, work with your agent/lawyer.. you might need to work with the "good tenants " with legitimate source of income when you come across them.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 9:10pm On Apr 10, 2022
Buy what I sell

Check my signature
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 9:15pm On Apr 10, 2022
Badgers14:

Well, this is the scenario that always concerns abroadians..or folks that build a house but don't reside their full time.

I guess it comes down to planning, that's why I think planning is one of the most important if not the most important of an build.

Depending on the layout of the building, one could still achieve their privacy while still renting out to tenants..

The popular style of house to achieve this would be duplex in the front and 2 bedrooms of 2 flats at the back. I know of someone that was lucky, his lot was on the corner with one street in front and another street at the back.. so he built duplex plus 2 bedroom flats at the back, the tenants access their building from the other street and oga landlord access his duplex from the other street.

Another guy I know, he couldn't have separate entrance because of the location of the build and he doesn't leave their full time.. what my suggestion was for him to have his lawyer put a for let sign in front of the duplex, then pretend it was for rent but when people come to enquire, have them fill out a form ( no fee collected.. ) and the lawyer tells the prospective tenant, there's someone in the pipeline already, so when landlord moved in , folks thought he was a tenant that have a job that takes him around, that's why he is not always home ( landlord doesn't live in Nigeria).

Finding good tenants this days seems like Finding a needle in a haystack. With the high cost of build these days. For you to find a tenant that could be able to pay a market rate sometimes (depending on location) , they are yahoo boys. Average Joe with decent jobs with family do struggle sometimes to afford the rent in a new build.. so when you rent, work with your agent/lawyer.. you might need to work with the "good tenants " with legitimate source of income when you come across them.

Thanks! Very good advice.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:21pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Let me research shortlet. Or if you have time to educate us. Thanks.

A short-let is a property which can be let from a few weeks to a few months.
Just like an advance hotel. The apartment must be fully furnished for them to feel at home. Majority of the people using shortlet are the people coming from abroad, expatriate, people coming to a spend weeks in a particular location.

We completed a 3nos 3bedroom flats in gbagada recently and all are for shorlet. The apartments are equiped with:
Refrigerator
Washing machine
Cooker
Ac
Kitchen utensils.q

The occupant/s can cook for the short period he or she will stay.

Also, you must be ready to give 24hrs power supply.. although there is 5kva solar inverter installed in each apartments. The last time I went there the 3- apartments is fully occupied. You can have a room self contain as shortlet.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:23pm On Apr 10, 2022
Jeff68:

Absolutely! Topsy23 has a great reputation, he has supplied me wires for my build and all transactions were faceless and there was never any issues! Even up until last week, close to a million and no issue! Please keep it up.

Thank you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:28pm On Apr 10, 2022
A landlord with 50 tenants already seeks advice for rental of a 2 bedroom.
Please, n3xt next story!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:30pm On Apr 10, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

Thanks.

I will not do Airbnb in Nigeria in my personal aboard. It's a security risk implications to me.

Letting it out is a very tempting option but there are better options. Like you've said, loss of privacy and the risk of generator noise from the tenant are major drawback.

Consider a Learning Center (not a school), Maths and English, Sciences and ICT classes. A preparatory center for Test of English as a foreign language for those looking for Visa abroad, preparatory and registration center for Jamb, WAEC, ICAN, professional certification, Microsoft suits (Excel, word etc), music and piano lessons etc. Opening hours is 9-5pm and then you have your compound to yourself. We do this a lot in the UK. You will need to employ tutors.

Or consider repacking products (manufacturing). So you buy in bulk and repack into smaller retail sizes e.g rice, beans, Amala, lafun, vegetable oil, Palm oil, powdered milk, granulated sugar etc. The smaller units are more affordable to the majority. You will need to employ hands, all you do is just managerial.

These options are better than renting or just locking it up. Here apart from the income, you create employment, empower people and better the life chances of the kids in your community.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:04pm On Apr 10, 2022

Letting it out is a very tempting option but there are better options. Like you've said, loss of privacy and the risk of generator noise from the tenant are major drawback.

Consider a Learning Center (not a school), Maths and English, Sciences and ICT classes. A preparatory center for Test of English as a foreign language for those looking for Visa abroad, preparatory and registration center for Jamb, WAEC, ICAN, professional certification, Microsoft suits (Excel, word etc), music and piano lessons etc. Opening hours is 9-5pm and then you have your compound to yourself. We do this a lot in the UK. You will need to employ tutors.

These options are better than renting or just locking it up. Here apart from the income, you create employment, empower people and better the life chances of the kids in your community.

This is exactly what I did with my space. We converted the space into a pre-school for 0-3 years (runs between 7:30am - 5:00pm).
For the first time in many years, I was able to find a use for my gate house which now serve as drop off/pick up point for the kids.

The future plan is to convert the rest of the space into a Youth Development Center.

I We got better value from this.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 11:44pm On Apr 10, 2022
For kitchen cabinet in a rental property, which is more durable. Wood or MDF/HDF.
One of the carpenters I spoke to said he was going to do something similar to picture 1 with wood which they will spray after installing it.

For wood, what type of wood is best for making the cabinet and how much do they usually cost?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dapotemi: 12:03am On Apr 11, 2022
n3xt:

You can pretend you didn’t know you asked me to tell Topsy23 to send his quote for Electrical Work of the house and also received the same quote and turned it down.

@Topsy23 sorry for the mention. I do not intend to bring your name up in this.

This doesn't matter... I can TURN DOWN any quote i want.. Stop this emotional BLACKMAIL...
A very important issue was raised.. The quote that was eventually accepted, who brought it? When the person sin supplied an INFERIOR material, did you FLAG it to me, as my paid supervisor and if anything for the sake of your NAME!!!
ALL this apologies to topsy na nonsense, he no need am..

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2927) (2928) (2929) (2930) (2931) (2932) (2933) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ojoboak(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.