Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri (8518 Views)

Did You See The Mistake On The Ministerial List Sent To The Senator Saraki? (Pic / I'll Send Corrupt Nigerians To Kirikiri Prison - Buhari / Al-mustapha Welcomes Bode George To Kirikiri Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by spikedcylinder: 9:30pm On Mar 31, 2009
I hope Ibinabo doesn't go to jail, in fact, I pray she's released by the court of appeal. After that, I hope she goes to the Uk to relax, you know with a coupla pints and on her way home,I hope she kills one of you. Will N100k do or N50k is just fine? smiley
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 9:31pm On Mar 31, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I hope Ibinabo doesn't go to jail, in fact, I pray she's released by the court of appeal. After that, I hope she goes to the Uk to relax, you know with a coupla pints and on her way home,I hope she kills one of you. Will N100k do or N50k is just fine? smiley

People die everyday, ma friend.
Sending her to jail will not wake the medical doctor.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by bawomolo(m): 9:34pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

People die everyday, ma friend.
Sending her to jail will not wake the medical doctor.

would you feel the same way if the dead was a close relative of yours. Like hey, it was just their time to die.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 9:36pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

Was she breathalysed immediately after the incident?? How do we know she was drunk??
The issue of drunk driving does not apply here cos it was not proven she was drunk when she killed the doctor.

Therefore, we might as well conclude, she (Ibinabo) was not even the one driving the car at that said in time of the accident right? Since no CCTV, no finger prints were taken from the scene of the accident by the police to indicate such?

What a wonder!

spikedcylinder:

I hope Ibinabo doesn't go to jail, in fact,  I pray she's released by the court of appeal. After that, I hope she goes to the Uk to relax, you know with a coupla pints and on her way home,I hope she kills one of you. Will N100k do or N50k is just fine? smiley
With the likes of iReport? N20 is OK to shut her mouth forever. That girl lives in corruption 24/7.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by tope2000(f): 9:39pm On Mar 31, 2009
I dont understand why some people think the judge was harsh with his / her judgement? undecided
She deserves everything that she gets . . . . . for not even showing any remorse cool
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2009
A lot of people chat rubbish based on perceptions imbued by biased tabloid reporting. Yes, Ibinabo is no saint. She has always been a glamorous woman and lived that kind of lifestyle, however some of the rubbish in the media (such as Ibinabo showing no remorse for her actions) is wide of the mark. I do not know Ibinabo personally but I have known of her since I was a kid. I grew up with her cousins and her uncle was my dad's best friend from school days up until his untimely death from cancer. Her cousin is the only person who produces a monthly magazine for the people of Okrika. . . . . . . If you contrast some of the despicable media reporting with Ibinabo's actions, you will find that their depiction of her character is completely fallacious. . . . . . My people, the Okinans (Okrikas) have been engaged in a civil war since the death of the last Amanyanabo in 1998. The war is between the Tuboniju and Coniju people over the right of ascenscion to the throne, plus some political savagery between PDP and ANPP (plus militancy). My whole village was burnt down as a result of this war, and scores, hundreds even, of people killed. Ibinabo was living in London jejely and decided to go back to Nigeria to host a yearly peace festival between both warring factions. Come and see rivals coming together in the name of peace, no small thanks to Ibinabo. I have pictures of the festival (including pictures of another yearly party she throws for Okrika children in Kirike). I would upload them if I can find a scanner. . . . . This kind of action is totally at odds with her media persona. I only add this anecdote to draw a contrast with the virulent and hateful media depiction of Ibinabo. . . . . That aside, one should look at the court case on it's merits, not from a morally judgemental standpoint. It is a case of manslaughter by driving, not DUI (at least not in court). Manslaughter by reckless driving should carry a sentence of 18 months max. Full stop. The case will be appealed again and Ibinabo will get justice.

On to the judge. I believe she is trying to be a hero. I no go talk wetin I dey imply lest I sound like an animal. Una know as Okrika people dey.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by spikedcylinder: 9:42pm On Mar 31, 2009
The oldest quote in the world "something must kill you". What then is the meaning of life? You might as well dash it out. . . .at least, you'll be sure your family will get 100k.

Thats the highest insult sef, 100k.  undecided
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by mustafar1: 9:43pm On Mar 31, 2009
what does the law say is the penalty for manslaughter, whether voluntary or involuntary? if its 6 months then so be it. if its 5years so be it. if its N100,000.00 fine then so be it. but if you dont know what the law states and you critique or support the judges decision i really do not know what you are basing your argument on.

all you saying manslaughter sentence na 12months max, or 5 years minimum. abeg make una provide where una get that one from. is it ur personal opinion or what the law states.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 9:46pm On Mar 31, 2009
bawomolo:

would you feel the same way if the dead was a close relative of yours. Like hey, it was just their time to die.  

Of course. . . . . .
Something has to kill ma close relative. . . . .We cannot live forever.

Pataki:

Therefore, we might as well conclude, she (Ibinabo) was not even the one driving the car at that said in time of the accident right? Since no CCTV, no finger prints were taken from the scene of the accident by the police to indicate such?

There were eye witnesses who saw her. . . . . . .Ibinabo is a Naija celeb with a very rare skin colour.
She has not denied driving on the day of the incident but no one knew if she was drunk or not.
Nigerians are rumour mongers. . . . . If anyone goes over the top with their speed, the most natural reaction of pedestrians is to say the driver is drunk or high on marijuana. It is ridiculous a judge who passed through the 4 walls of a school woulda listened to such heresy.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 9:48pm On Mar 31, 2009
Justice is not based on how you FEEL. If that should be the case then the poor widow that lost her last N100 to a pick pocket may feel like putting him away for life because of N100. Should the court pass the judgment based on how she feels?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 9:49pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

There were eye witnesses who saw her. . . . . . .Ibinabo is a Naija celeb with a very rare skin colour.
She has not denied driving on the day of the incident but no one knew if she was drunk or not.
Nigerians are rumour mongers. . . . . If anyone goes over the top with their speed, the most natural reaction of pedestrians is to say the driver is drunk or high on marijuana. It is ridiculous a judge who passed through the 4 walls of a school woulda listened to such heresy.
Please hear yourself out!

She has not denied driving on the day of incident, please tell me has she denied the allegations of drunk driving-reckless driving?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 9:50pm On Mar 31, 2009
A lot of people chat rubbish based on perceptions imbued by biased tabloid reporting. Yes, Ibinabo is no saint. She has always been a glamorous woman and lived that kind of lifestyle, however some of the rubbish in the media (such as Ibinabo showing no remorse for her actions) is wide of the mark. I do not know Ibinabo personally but I have known of her since I was a kid. I grew up with her cousins and her uncle was my dad's best friend from school days up until his untimely death from cancer. Her cousin is the only person who produces a monthly magazine for the people of Okrika. . . . . . . If you contrast some of the despicable media reporting with Ibinabo's actions, you will find that their depiction of her character is completely fallacious. . . . . . My people, the Okinans (Okrikas) have been engaged in a civil war since the death of the last Amanyanabo in 1998. The war is between the Tuboniju and Coniju people over the right of ascenscion to the throne, plus some political savagery between PDP and ANPP (plus militancy). My whole village was burnt down as a result of this war, and scores, hundreds even, of people killed. Ibinabo was living in London jejely and decided to go back to Nigeria to host a yearly peace festival between both warring factions. Come and see rivals coming together in the name of peace, no small thanks to Ibinabo. I have pictures of the festival (including pictures of another yearly party she throws for Okrika children in Kirike). I would upload them if I can find a scanner. . . . . This kind of action is totally at odds with her media persona. I only add this anecdote to draw a contrast with the virulent and hateful media depiction of Ibinabo. . . . . That aside, one should look at the court case on it's merits, not from a morally judgemental standpoint. It is a case of manslaughter by driving, not DUI (at least not in court). Manslaughter by reckless driving should carry a sentence of 18 months max. Full stop. The case will be appealed again and Ibinabo will get justice.
Of course the media will play their own part after all libel suits in Nigeria are not viable but that doesn't mean the judiciary should follow suit.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 9:51pm On Mar 31, 2009
Keep arguing while madam "superstar" is already in jail.  grin Wish it were an American jail where the biggest dyke would use a plunger as a Love Machine on her stupid ass

Do not rejoice in another person's misfortune because you don't know tomorrow. The least you can do is pray for her

I'll pass. Excuses of "oh if she tried to save someone she would have been lynched" is garbage. She's a selfish animal. She ran away from the scene of the crime, did she get to run away from a prison sentence?  cheesy
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 9:52pm On Mar 31, 2009
iReport:

Justice is not based on how you FEEL. If that should be the case then the poor widow that lost her last N100 to a pick pocket may feel like putting him away for life because of N100. Should the court pass the judgment based on how she feels?
What a senseless analogy and comparison. Pilfering money is now equal to manslaughter and show of arrogance exemplified by Ibinabo?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 9:58pm On Mar 31, 2009
Justice? What justice?

She committed manslaughter, fled from the scene of accident, refused to show-up in court, paid N100K thinking she do be go free, and you are typing: ''. . . . . Ibinabo will get justice.''

I wish you luck in your pursuit of justice.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 9:58pm On Mar 31, 2009
Pataki:

She has not denied driving on the day of incident, please tell me has she denied the allegations of drunk driving-reckless driving?

Pataki, there's a universe of difference between driving recklessly and DUI. . . . . .
I can drive recklessly without ALCOHOL. Blimey, i drive recklessly sometimes if i have to get home quick and answer nature's call.

Ibime:

Manslaughter by reckless driving should carry a sentence of 18 months max. Full stop.

And she cannot even serve maximum sentence of manslaughter by reckless driving because she had no previous record of reckless driving.
I dunno how the judiciary system in Nigeria works but this is disgraceful.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 10:02pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

Pataki, there's a universe of difference between driving recklessly and DUI. . . . . .
I can drive recklessly without ALCOHOL. Blimey, i drive recklessly sometimes if i have to get home quick and answer nature's call.
You are simply not answering my question and circumventing. I asked:
Pataki:

. . . . . please tell me has she denied the allegations of drunk driving-reckless driving?

If the answer is a NO, then the charge against her remains valid.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by MrCrackles(m): 10:05pm On Mar 31, 2009
I hope she rots and wither in jail

Reckless and arrogant fool!
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Riskie(f): 10:11pm On Mar 31, 2009
If this was a normal accident in which she just happened to hit someone while driving, I would understand people saying the sentence was harsh. But considering that she was intoxicated, she fully deserves what she is getting and then some.Why should someone who knowingly drank to the point of being out of control of her senses be allowed to go with a measly fine. Rubbish. The girl is a fool and a bad actress to boot!  angry angry angry
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 10:12pm On Mar 31, 2009
Pataki:

You are simply not answering my question and circumventing. I asked:
If the answer is a NO, then the charge against her remains valid.

She denied DUI. . . . .She admitted she drove recklessly on the day in question.
Pleading guilty in the court of law before the court finds one guilty even takes out 1/3 of the sentence OUT!!!
The fact that she had no previous criminal record of reckless driving also takes out 1/3 which means the maximum she should serve is 6 months.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 10:15pm On Mar 31, 2009
What a senseless analogy and comparison. Pilfering money is now equal to manslaughter and show of arrogance exemplified by Ibinabo?
I think you hit on this woman and she straight up 'bounced' you, is that what you see as arrogance? kiss kiss kiss
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 10:27pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sauron~:

She denied DUI. . . . .She admitted she drove recklessly on the day in question.
Pleading guilty in the court of law before the court finds one guilty even takes out 1/3 of the sentence OUT!!!
The fact that she had no previous criminal record of reckless driving also takes out 1/3 which means the maximum she should serve is 6 months.
This is amazing!

6 months for manslaughter! Where in the article did you read she denied driving under influence?

iReport:

I think you hit on this woman and she straight up 'bounced' you, is that what you see as arrogance? kiss kiss kiss
I do not even know her. I am not a fan of nollywood, so hitting on her is not the question here. If you are in deliberate oblivion to what arrogance means from her attitude to the whole case, you are on your way to Kirikiri as well. Which I must say, you rightly deserve though. grin
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 10:59pm On Mar 31, 2009
I do not even know her. I am not a fan of nollywood, so hitting on her is not the question here. If you are in deliberate oblivion to what arrogance means from her attitude to the whole case, you are on your way to Kirikiri as well. Which I must say, you rightly deserve though.
Do you have any proof of your claims?. Can you prove to us beyond reasonable doubt that you do not have a crush on Ibinabo? kiss kiss
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by mustafar1: 11:07pm On Mar 31, 2009
iReport:

Do you have any proof of your claims?. Can you prove to us beyond reasonable doubt that you do not have a crush on Ibinabo? kiss kiss

are right here is the point where our NL buddy, eyeReport starts to dribble around the point and focus on her claim that pataki has a crush/mirinda on accused.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 11:20pm On Mar 31, 2009

are right here is the point where our NL buddy, eyeReport starts to dribble around the point and focus on her claim that pataki has a crush/mirinda on accused.
Is that not the same basis they used to jail Ibinabo, circumstantial evidence.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by mustafar1: 11:42pm On Mar 31, 2009
abeg commot make i see road, all of una wey turn judge, witness and jury all in one breath.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sagamite(m): 12:44am On Apr 01, 2009
For those stating that she should not be jailed because she is a single mother, don't the children have fathers (*I am assuming there are multiple fathers) they can stay with.

Or people have impunity once they have responsibility for children?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Nobody: 3:55am On Apr 01, 2009
tpia
If the shoe were on the other foot and Ibinabo had been the one killed, would the reactions here be the same?

I'm sure she wont serve out her sentence and besides, she can always try to get extradited to whichever country she claims citizenship of.

Martha Stewart and Paris Hilton both served jail times for various offences. Likewise Bill Clinton got impeached for an offence. All it means is she'll start from a clean slate once she's out.

Deepzone is simply following nuzo, who happens to be her master at the moment. She sings whatever tune she's being hired to sing at any given point in time.

Wetin I do now? angry
Have you been drinking like Ibinabo?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by bilymuse: 1:54pm On Apr 01, 2009
[size=15pt]Fiberesima: Shaming the judiciary[/size]

THE entire Nigerian judiciary and all affiliated instruments of legal justice, including the Lagos State Ministry of Justice and the Nigeria Police, are currently on trial in a manslaughter case that has moved from a spiteful ridicule of the judiciary to an ignoble travesty of justice.

ON February 26, 2005, while driving on the Lekki-Ajah Expressway in Lagos, Ms. Ibinabo Fiberesima, a former beauty queen and famous actress, crashed the Lexus SUV she was driving into the car of Dr. Suraj Alade Giwa, Head of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department, Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), killing him instantly. Giwa’s U.S-based younger brother, who rode with him, was injured.

MS Fiberesima, reportedly left the scene without paying attention to her victim and later claimed to have been hospitalised herself. The policemen who confirmed her hospitalisation did not say who took her to the hospital and how her victims were not helped by the same person(s). It took the intervention of a courageous section of the press, which exposed this matter, before the police and the Lagos State Ministry of Justice became alive to their responsibilities.

WHILE she stayed in the hospital, the police claimed to have impounded Fiberesima’s international passport to prevent her from travelling abroad, but her mother gave a lie to that and even showed journalists her passport. Under pressure from the victim’s family and a section of the press, Fiberesima was later charged to court on a two-count charge of “dangerous driving and manslaughter”. Throughout the period of the trial, she reportedly travelled within and outside Nigeria at will.

SUCH a case as this in which the accused had publicly confessed to the crime of manslaughter, though she later pleaded not guilty before the court, would have been expected to be concluded as soon as possible. But not this case, which ought to come to the attention of the relevant judicial authorities. Ostensibly, the police and the public prosecutor were either deliberately shoddy in the handling of the case or were compromised. Whichever it was, it is a disgrace. When the matter first came to court for hearing, Fiberesima, who was not reported to have been detained at all by the police, was granted bail by the magistrate pending the “advice by the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions”. Even the manner of the bail application, as Giwa’s family members revealed, left much to be desired. It was arranged between the police, the accused and the magistrate while the family members of the deceased were yet to arrive at the court from the police station.

IN the end, Magistrate Isaacs of Igbosere Magistrate Court, Lagos, found Ibinabo Fiberesima guilty of the charges and sentenced her to seven years imprisonment for count one and two years for count two. In a scandalous decision that ought to be investigated and punished by the relevant judicial authorities, Magistrate Isaacs gave Fiberesima the option of N100, 000 — which she promptly paid — for carelessly, even if inadvertently, taking a life.

SECTION 28 of the Road Traffic Law, Cap R10 Laws of Lagos State, 2003 under which the convict was found guilty, did not give an option of fine. This then raises a pertinent question: Was Mr. Isaacs ignorant of the law he was administering or did he compromise himself? Whatever might have been responsible for it, Mr. Isaacs’ decision was a perverse and pernicious decision. It was rightly appealed by the Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Olasupo Shasore (SAN), who must be commended for doing so.

ON 20 February, 2009, Justice Deborah Oluwayemi of Lagos High Court sentenced Ms. Fiberesima to five years imprisonment for manslaughter. In delivering her judgment, Justice Oluwayemi held that the N100, 000 fine imposed by the lower court on Fiberesima was tantamount to “judicial recklessness.” According to the judge, it is unreasonable for a magistrate to give an option of N100, 000 fine to someone who has taken the life of another person through dangerous driving. She added that when the term of imprisonment was mandatory, the court could not change it.

HOWEVER, the matter became even more bizarre because, without any excuse, the convict was not even present in the court and no question was asked by the prosecutor and no reason was given by the defence counsel. And many weeks after her conviction, Fiberesima is still walking free. It is a gratuitous slap in the face of the Nigerian judiciary and the rule of law. It is so shameful that even some of her artiste-friends disclaimed the conviction in the press, while one told newspapers that the “matter has currently gone beyond the High Court. It is not for the High Courts to decide as things stand now.”

WHAT is the role of the police in this travesty of justice? Is Fiberesima being aided and abetted by the police to evade justice? Why didn’t the police bring her to the court? Why has she not been arrested and handed over to the Nigerian Prisons Service to serve her sentence? And why hasn’t she been declared wanted if she is running away from the law?

DR. Giwa’s widow in her heart-rending story had said amidst tears, ”With his death, a huge chunk of me is gone, He was a husband every woman would desire to have; a father that is a blessing to the kids. I don’t say so necessarily because he is dead.” She continued: “For goodness sake, this actress who killed a family man has a family and an aged mother. I am accusing the police and court of treating the matter with levity probably because she is a public figure. All we are asking for is justice so that it will serve as a deterrent to other reckless drivers who waste innocent human lives.”

THE woman, her children and other family members are left wondering if anyone, even a former beauty queen, can kill a medical doctor of Giwa’s stature and escape justice, what would happen to millions of Nigerians who have no high social status.

FIBERESIMA’S counsel has since filed a case for stay of execution and expects that, even before a decision on this is taking, the convict should be free. It would seem the lady is committed to do everything that she can to subvert the course of justice and ensure that she escapes punishment for her crime.

ON 19 March, Justice Oluwayemi had to order the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Marvel Akpoyibo, to immediately arrest Ms Fiberesima and lock her up in Ikoyi Prisons from where she must be brought to court. Justice Oluwayemi refused to hear her application for a stay of execution of her jail sentence until she appears in court and frowned upon her flouting of the judgment. The court also frowned on the attitude of Fiberesima’s counsel, Kamasuode Wodu, and the Ministry of Justice, Lagos State, represented by the State’s Director of Public Prosecutions, Olabisi Ogungbesan, accusing them of encouraging Fiberesima to flagrantly disobey court order.

WE call on the Governor of Lagos State, the Attorney-General of the State, the Chief Judge of the State and the Commissioner of Police to immediately step into this matter to ensure that this series of disgraceful actions and inaction on the side of the prosecution, the police and the accused end forthwith. Ms. Fiberesima is not only a convicted criminal that wants to escape justice; she also wants to shame the whole process of the administration of justice in Lagos State. Her beauty and fame cannot be stronger than the institution of justice.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/01042009/edit.html
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 2:31pm On Apr 01, 2009
And you can imagine someone here saying: ''she should have stayed in london'' in order for her to avoid all these issues. She will definitely pay for her crime, the family of the victim should not relent in continually pressing this matter until true and sincere justice is melted out to that silly girl. No one is meant to be above the law.

Justice delayed is not justice denied.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 2:57pm On Apr 01, 2009
I wish people such as the above would stop chatting rubbish. What do they know about the rule of law? Just chatting rubbish with emotions.

The first questions anyone should ask are:

(1.) Was she over the speed limit?
(2.) Was she drunk?
(3.) They say her car skidded and veered into oncoming traffic. Was the steering defective? Were driving conditions slippery? Any potholes on the road? Is the road properly lit? or did she perform an illegal manouvre?

The fact that she fled the scene is secondary. Most Nigerian drivers flee the scene of accidents. Infact, this is the only crime of hers which can be proved.

Situations where involuntary vehicular manslaughter could occur:

(1.) An involuntary manslaughter conviction can be based on excessive speed in combination with other factors, such as running through an intersection without paying attention to traffic signals or stop signs.

(2.) A driver can be found guilty of involuntary manslaughter even though he or she is driving within the speed limit, such as where a motorist approaches an intersection and is not looking forward, which causes the vehicle to veer and strike and kill a pedestrian.

(3.) If a fatal accident is caused by the driver's unconsciousness as a result of a medical condition, such as an epileptic seizure, or by falling asleep at the wheel, criminal liability for involuntary manslaughter can be imposed.

From the quote above, the oyinbos have showed us that before one is accused of a crime, there should be measures in place to quantify its severity.

What is Ibinabo's crime and what is admissible in a court of law? Was she over the speed limit? Does the road she was on even have a bloody speed limit? Did she turn without looking? Did she run through traffic light? Does Naija have traffic light? This is ridiculous! How many people do you know serving time for vehicular manslaughter in Naija?

For any charge levelled against a Nigerian driver, government has to bear responsibility for failing in it's duty to protect its citizens. That same Government is liable for gross negligence and has no right to lock-up its citizens for infringements they cannot even determine scientifically. Where are the verification systems for determining guilt and innocence? Street cameras, speed cameras, traffic lights, road signs to warn drivers, street lights, pothole prevention etc. Where trailers park anyhow on the side of the road. No police or witnesses on the scene, at least none who know what constitues 'dangerous driving'.

And this same Government (Lagos State Government) is actively pursuing a citizen for a crime it cannot measure? Still, idiots are postulating as to the criminality of Ibinabo's actions. This a travesty of justice. How many Governor motorcades kill pedestrians yearly? What is their punishment? 5 years in Kirikiri for what? In a lawless society? Idiots are here talking about law. Which law?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by spikedcylinder: 3:17pm On Apr 01, 2009
If anyone is spewing anything with emotions here, its you, Ibime. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria / Why Have South-East Leaders Remained Silent About Boko Haram? / Obasanjo Is A Joker, Liar, He Was Behind Third Term – Nnamani, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.