Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,582 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri (8515 Views)

Did You See The Mistake On The Ministerial List Sent To The Senator Saraki? (Pic / I'll Send Corrupt Nigerians To Kirikiri Prison - Buhari / Al-mustapha Welcomes Bode George To Kirikiri Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by idupaul: 3:19pm On Apr 01, 2009
hmmm , 5 yrs was really harsh, but its good because some of these lagos so called big gals have this false aura that they are above the law,
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 3:23pm On Apr 01, 2009
Ibime:

I wish people such as the above would stop chatting rubbish. What do they know about the rule of law? Just chatting rubbish with emotions.

The first questions anyone should ask are:

(1.) Was she over the speed limit?
(2.) Was she drunk?
(3.) They say her car skidded and veered into oncoming traffic. Was the steering defective? Were driving conditions slippery? Any potholes on the road? Is the road properly lit? or did she perform an illegal manouvre?

The fact that she fled the scene is secondary. Most Nigerian drivers flee the scene of accidents. Infact, this is the only crime of hers which can be proved.

Situations where involuntary vehicular manslaughter could occur:

(1.) An involuntary manslaughter conviction can be based on excessive speed in combination with other factors, such as running through an intersection without paying attention to traffic signals or stop signs.

(2.) A driver can be found guilty of involuntary manslaughter even though he or she is driving within the speed limit, such as where a motorist approaches an intersection and is not looking forward, which causes the vehicle to veer and strike and kill a pedestrian.

(3.) If a fatal accident is caused by the driver's unconsciousness as a result of a medical condition, such as an epileptic seizure, or by falling asleep at the wheel, criminal liability for involuntary manslaughter can be imposed.

What is Ibinabo's crime and what is admissible in a court of law? Was she over the speed limit? Does the road she was on even have a bloody speed limit? Did she turn without looking? Did she run through traffic light? Does Naija have traffic light? This is ridiculous! How many people do you know serving time for vehicular manslaughter in Naija?

For any charge levelled against a Nigerian driver, government has to bear responsibility for failing in it's duty to protect its citizens. That same Government is liable for gross negligence and has no right to lock-up its citizens for infringements they cannot even determine scientifically. Where are the verification systems for determining guilt and innocence? Street cameras, speed cameras, traffic lights, road signs to warn drivers, street lights, pothole prevention etc. Where trailers park anyhow on the side of the road. And this same Government (Lagos State Government) is actively pursuing a citizen for a crime it cannot measure? Still, idiots are postulating as to the criminality of Ibinabo's actions. This a travesty of justice. How many Governor motorcades kill pedestrians yearly? What is their punishment? 5 years in Kirikiri for what? In a lawless society? Idiots are here talking about law. Which law?
You are an idiot! Who made this statement right on the first page of this thread?

Kirikiri Huh

They have buried my sister alive. Ibinabo should have stayed here in London, not gone back to Naija. I am sure Okinans will never forgive the Judge for the harsh sentence she handed out to Ibinabo. Not to worry, "Good will come" to Ibinabo as her name suggests. She will only serve half of her sentence.

It was YOU. A woman committed a crime, she ran away from the scene of the incident, you are here saying she should have stayed in London and not gone back to Nigeria. What a mannerless and lawless human being you are. Educated but no brain.

For you to now come and start coloring manslaughter with stupidity is absolutely ridiculous. How do you people reason? Nigeria is lawless, so it must continually be so? For you to come here and say, ''we are chatting rubbish with emotions'' is totally senseless from you. Who came here to spit how Ibinabo is related to his family? YOU. No wonder your mind is not stable to objectively see where this woman has gone wrong.

Absolute rubbish.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 3:24pm On Apr 01, 2009
Ibime:

And this same Government (Lagos State Government) is actively pursuing a citizen for a crime it cannot measure? Still, idiots are postulating as to the criminality of Ibinabo's actions. This a travesty of justice. How many Governor motorcades kill pedestrians yearly? What is their punishment? 5 years in Kirikiri for what? In a lawless society? Idiots are here talking about law. Which law?

U make a lot of sense. . . . . . .

Pataki:

For you to now come and start coloring manslaughter with stupidity is absolutely ridiculous. How do you people reason? Nigeria is lawless, so it must continually be so? For you to come here and say, ''we are chatting rubbish with emotions'' is totally senseless from you. Who came here to spit how Ibinabo is related to his family? YOU. No wonder your mind is not stable to objectively see where this woman has gone wrong.

Is there a speed-limit on the Lekki-Ajah expressway?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by bilymuse: 3:30pm On Apr 01, 2009
Bilymuse wrote
DR. Giwa’s widow in her heart-rending story had said amidst tears, ”With his death, a huge chunk of me is gone, He was a husband every woman would desire to have; a father that is a blessing to the kids. I don’t say so necessarily because he is dead.” She continued: “For goodness sake, this actress who killed a family man has a family and an aged mother. I am accusing the police and court of treating the matter with levity probably because she is a public figure. All we are asking for is justice so that it will serve as a deterrent to other reckless drivers who waste innocent human lives.”

The dead ask for justice
The living ask for compassion
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 3:35pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Is there a speed-limit on the Lekki-Ajah expressway?
I do not know whether there is one. I have not been on that road in about two years now. There might be, and there might not be. But whether there was no speed-limit, it does not validate a woman behaving recklessly. She is subject to the law. Let her face it!
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 3:43pm On Apr 01, 2009
Pataki:

I do not know whether there is one. I have not been on that road in about two years now. There might be, and there might not be. But whether there was no speed-limit, it does not validate a woman behaving recklessly. She is subject to the law. Let her face it!

You are a bloody criminal. You cannot tell us whether there is speed limit on the road or not, yet you know what consitutes 'dangerous driving' and how many years one should serve for it. Sciolistic idiot. Since you were there and witnessed the event, maybe you can tell us if she was over the speed limit (thats if there is any speed limit). Was she 'behaving recklessly' or 'driving recklessly' - and what is the mandatory sentence for it? If you are talking about 'reckless behaviour' and not the latter, then keep your emotions to yourself, and lets concentrate only on judicial matters. Also, you can maybe tell us how many years you deserve to serve concurrently for breaking the law by offering rojer to police, JAMB officials etc on countless ocassions. Rule of law my nyansh.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 3:55pm On Apr 01, 2009
Pataki:

No one is saying she ain't subjected to the law but the punishment given to her was OTT!!!
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 3:58pm On Apr 01, 2009
Ibime:

You are a bloody criminal. You cannot tell us whether there is speed limit on the road or not, yet you know what consitutes 'dangerous driving'. Sciolistic idiot. Since you were there and witnessed the event, maybe you can tell us if she was over the speed limit (thats if there is any speed limit). Also, you can maybe tell us how many years you deserve to serve concurrently for breaking the law by offering rojer to police, JAMB officials etc on countless ocassions. Rule of law my nyansh.
Such a goon! Who is the bloody criminal? A silly caitiff coming on the internet to validate lawlessness. Such a stupid fellow you are.

If you are in need of traffic regulations, run along to the FRSC to lay your claims to them. Keep on ranting your frustrations, I am glad that the rule of law is applied to mannerless and arrogant beings such as Ibinabo. You can as well come to naija and drive to your own satisfaction of speed limit. I am not bothered. But once you commit a crime with it, get whatever the law gives to you. What a bloody mofo.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 4:01pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

No one is saying she ain't subjected to the law but the punishment given to her was OTT!!!
Given her stance and attitude to the whole case, following the incident, she surely deserves what she got. I would have thought otherwise, if she had shown a little bit of more concern.

Sorry, I do not see it your way.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 4:02pm On Apr 01, 2009
Pataki:

(1.) I am glad that the rule of law is applied to mannerless and arrogant beings such as Ibinabo.

(2.) You can as well come to naija and drive to your own satisfaction of speed limit.

(1.) You are a fool! I didnt know there was a mandatory sentence for mannerless and arrogant behaviour. Like I said, idiots are just spewing rubbish out of emotions.

(2.) Was I.B over the speed limit? Idiot! Talking rubbish out of emotions again with no knowledge of facts.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 4:09pm On Apr 01, 2009
Ibime:

(1.) You are a fool! I didnt know there was a mandatory sentence for mannerless and arrogant behaviour. Like I said, idiots are just spewing rubbish out of emotions.

(2.) Was I.B over the speed limit? Idiot! Talking rubbish out of emotions again with no knowledge of facts.

Dude, you are dangerously daft! Manner-less and arrogant behavior? And yet another human being's life was lost? What remorse did she show to the case? It speaks volume of how you reason. What a waste of air and education.

Keep on crying as a family member of hers. She thoroughly deserves what she got. However harsh it seems.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 4:12pm On Apr 01, 2009
Pataki:

Given her stance and attitude to the whole case, following the incident, she surely deserves what she got. I would have thought otherwise, if she had shown a little bit of more concern.

What is her stance and attitude?? Have u seen her since the incident??
Did she justify the death of the medical doctor or what is your point here??
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sagamite(m): 4:17pm On Apr 01, 2009
To me, this is as silly as saying because their are no signs on our Express roads if a petrol tanker driver decides to park his tanker on one lane (remember no signs telling him not to) and some cars going at 100 Km/hr crash into it, bust into flames and kill all the occupants then we can not and have no right to charge the tanker driver for anything.

Especially as he was even stationary unlike the woman that was in control of the car.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 4:18pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Do I need to see her? Of what value does it add to her case? Justify the death of the medical doctor What are you talking about here?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 4:20pm On Apr 01, 2009
Sagamite:

To me, this is as silly as saying because their are no signs on our Express roads if a petrol tanker driver decides to park his tanker on one lane (remember no signs telling him not to) and some cars going at 100 Km/hr crash into it, bust into flames and kill all the occupants then we can not and have no right to charge the tanker driver for anything.

Especially as he was even stationary unlike the woman that was in control of the car.
The idiot called Ibime would never see it as such! Too blinded by family sentiments and emotional ties and cries to articulately rationalize the whole case.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 4:21pm On Apr 01, 2009
Pataki:

Do I need to see her? Of what value does it add to her case? Justify the death of the medical doctor What are you talking about here?

So what makes you 100% sure that she has not shown any remorse??
Are you just 2nd-guessing or you can't stand her celebrity status??
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 4:27pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

So what makes you 100% sure that she has not shown any remorse??
Are you just 2nd-guessing or you can't stand her celebrity status??
Celebrity status

I do not even know her. Even after seeing her picture here, I still have no idea who she is. I am not a nollywood fan, so whatever celebrity status she holds is best fitted with Ibime's village.

What I cannot stand is how she has acted throughout the whole court proceedings. The mere fact that this incident happened since 2005 indicates that, buttons must have been pressed in high places to suppress the case, and from the last court judgment given and the statement emanating from the judge, I am more convinced that was the case.

Again I reiterate, she deserves her sentence. Let her go and face the walls of Kirikiri.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 4:35pm On Apr 01, 2009
Pataki:

Celebrity status
I do not even know her. Even after seeing her picture here, I still have no idea who she is. I am not a nollywood fan, so whatever celebrity status she holds is best fitted with Ibime's village.

U dunno her but you know for a fact that she exuded a negative attitude throughout??
Pataki, listen to yourself.

What I cannot stand is how she has acted throughout the whole court proceedings. The mere fact that this incident happened since 2005 indicates that, buttons must have been pressed in high places to suppress the case, and from the last court judgment given and the statement emanating from the judge, I am more convinced that was the case.

Pataki, were you at the court to know how she has acted??
Has she boasted or shown any inhumane attitude since the incident??
I think you are basing your judgement on hearsays. Pretend this woman ain't no celeb and you would see the injustice in this shiznit.

We all know court cases in Nigeria moves at the speed of snail.
There are people awaiting trials for 15 years in Nigeria Prisons. The judiciary system is a joke.
Have they sentenced Al-Mustafa and Abacha's son since they were arrested in 1999/2000??

Again I reiterate, she deserves her sentence. Let her go and face the walls of Kirikiri.

U have not convinced me she deserves her sentence. tongue
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 4:36pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Are you minding the idiot? Mumu is reading tabloid columns and drawing conclusions. The first rule for any defendant in a vehicular accident is never to admit culpability, even if they feel they were at fault. You could go to any lawyer and this is the first rule in the handbook they give to defendants. If you want to know whether I.B is sorry or not, its best to speak to her family, cos she will never show contriteness in the media whilst still defending herself in court lest its seen as an admission of guilt. Pataki reasons like a neanderthal. Just like the judge, he is waiting for an emotional outburst from I.B before he softens his stance and reduces the sentence that he thinks she deserves. Animal! We are here discussing legal facts which should inform any judgement, the idiot is employing his bleeding heart to make decisions for him. To me, that is the definition of lawlessness.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 4:38pm On Apr 01, 2009
I wonder if you'd be this wounded if she wasnt a "family member" Ibime.

The fact that she tried to do away with the situation by sending money proves that she had no remorse.

why else would she send money?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by A40(m): 4:41pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

U dunno her but you know for a fact that she exuded a negative attitude throughout??

I think you are basing your judgement on hearsays. Pretend this woman ain't no celeb and you would see the injustice in this shiznit.

There are people awaiting trials for 15 years in Nigeria Prisons. The judiciary system is a joke.

Have they sentenced Al-Mustafa and Abacha's son since they were arrested in 1999/2000??

Yup Nigeria was in the Guinness Book of Records of 1999 for highest number of prisoners awaiting trial

Heck i didn't know they sent people to jail for perpendicular vehicular homicide that happens almost on a daily in Naija now but i don't know who's side to take here its hard to plead for leniency when someone has lost the breadwinner of their home due to another person's carelessness its just hard
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 4:45pm On Apr 01, 2009
DeReloaded:

I wonder if you'd be this wounded if she wasnt a "family member" Ibime.

The fact that she tried to do away with the situation by sending money proves that she had no remorse.

why else would she send money?

What do you mean by sending money? You think this is Western Union?

The judge fined her a paltry sum, she didn't send anyone money. The initial judgement to fine her only N100,000 was a poor judgement and led to great consternation from the media followed by virulent attacks and emotional OVERREACTION from the public and now, the judge. Infact, Ibinabo is only suffering now because of the earlier judgement. She has been made a scapegoat, and they wanna make a statement with her that nobody is above the law. But then, what is the law?

A-40:

Heck i didn't know they sent people to jail for perpendicular vehicular homicide that happens almost on a daily in Naija now

My point exactly. The idiot police do not even have proper traffic detectives who can piece together the cause of an accident after it has already happened.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 4:48pm On Apr 01, 2009
Ibime:

The judge fined her a paltry sum, she didn't send anyone money. The initial judgement to fine her only N100,000 was a poor judgement and led to great consternation from the media followed by virulent attacks and emotional OVERREACTION from the public and now, the judge. Infact, Ibinabo is only suffering now because of the earlier judgement. She has been made a scapegoat, and they wanna make a statement with her that nobody is above the law. But then, what is the law?

The Judge is an idiot and this is what i keep saying about female Judges.
Her primary reason for dishing out such nonsensical sentence might be the fact that Ibinabo is more successful and prettier than her.
Women put ridiculous sentiments before common sense and if there's any justice in the world, the judge would fall to stray bullets of em MOPOL.
Arrant nonsense. . . . . . . . . .How can u jail someone for 5 years because of reckless driving??
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 4:51pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

The Judge is an idiot and this is what i keep saying about female Judges.
Her primary reason for dishing out such nonsensical sentence might be the fact that Ibinabo is more successful and prettier than her.
Women put ridiculous sentiments before common sense and if there's any justice in the world, the judge would fall to stray bullets of em MOPOL.

If she is lucky, she will fall to MOPOL. Wait till MEND or Okrika Bush Boys catch her, she will hear wien.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 4:51pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

I do not need to convince you about her sentence. She has rather convinced the judge she deserves her sentence, which I must say is well befitting. wink

Now back to other part of your quote. . . . . . . .

On what are you basing your arguments on? Was it not what you read from the newspapers? Have you interviewed the family of the victim? Have you interviewed Ibinabo herself? I can understand Ibime's point of view, because he is so blinded by family and emotional sentiments. But until YOU can show me otherwise, in that, why she does not deserve what she got based on her arrogance and malodorous attitude to the whole case, I still insist she utterly deserves what she got.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 4:54pm On Apr 01, 2009
western union. good one . . Not.

Ibime:

The initial judgement to fine her only N100,000 was a poor judgement and led to great consternation from the media followed by virulent attacks and emotional OVERREACTION from the public and now, the judge. Infact, Ibinabo is only suffering now because of the earlier judgement.
[quote][/quote]

Ok what should have been the initial judgement according to you. since you know paying a sum was wrong, and apparently you diagree with her sentence so what would have been the best "punishment"
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 4:55pm On Apr 01, 2009
Ibime:

Are you minding the idiot? Mumu is reading tabloid columns and drawing conclusions. The first rule for any defendant in a vehicular accident is never to admit culpability, even if they feel they were at fault. You could go to any lawyer and this is the first rule in the handbook they give to defendants. If you want to know whether I.B is sorry or not, its best to speak to her family, cos she will never show contriteness in the media whilst still defending herself in court lest its seen as an admission of guilt. Pataki reasons like a neanderthal. Just like the judge, he is waiting for an emotional outburst from I.B before he softens his stance and reduces the sentence that he thinks she deserves. Animal! We are here discussing legal facts which should inform any judgement, the idiot is employing his bleeding heart to make decisions for him. To me, that is the definition of lawlessness.
Such a dolt you are. Why not address me and stop quoting others to pass your vituperations at me. I am not a poltroon like you. Face it man, your sister is going to Kirikiri. Nigeria is not a hell hole where lives are killed like Christmas chicken and you can come wipe the emotional card at our face to assume it wipes the slates clean.

What a wasted wastrel.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 4:58pm On Apr 01, 2009
Ibime:

If she is lucky, she will fall to MOPOL. Wait till MEND or Okrika Bush Boys catch her, she will hear wien.

PRICELESS!!!!
Pataki:

I do not need to convince you about her sentence. She has rather convinced the judge she deserves her sentence, which I must say is well befitting. wink

The Judge is eccentric. . . . . . .There's no question about that.

On what are you basing your arguments on? Was it not what you read from the newspapers? Have you interviewed the family of the victim? Have you interviewed Ibinabo herself? I can understand Ibime's point of view, because he is so blinded by family and emotional sentiments. But until YOU can show me otherwise, in that, why she does not deserve what she got based on her arrogance and malodorous attitude to the whole case, I still insist she utterly deserves what she got.

This is a case of i-want-to-be-the judge-that-sent-a-celeb-to-jail.
The Judge wants to be famous. . . . . . .So she can be recommended like Dora-Akunyili in decades to come.

A Magistrate court had tried this case before. The sensible Judge there ruled Ibinabo should pay 100,000 Naira fine and the case was buried.
This new judge felt she had to do something and she exhumed the case. . . . . .She tried it with prejudice and found Ibinabo guilty.
Can you not see this case has many flaws??
What are the Nollywood actresses doing. . . . . .I expect a Union strike.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 4:59pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Arrant nonsense. . . . . . . . . .How can u jail someone for 5 years because of reckless driving??
Reckless driving leading to manslaughter. Are you deliberately missing that part out?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 5:02pm On Apr 01, 2009
Pataki:

Reckless driving leading to manslaughter. Are you deliberately missing that part out?

It was an accident. . . . . . .
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 5:03pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

This is a case of i-want-to-be-the judge-that-sent-a-celeb-to-jail.
The Judge wants to be famous. . . . . . .So she can be recommended like Dora-Akunyili in decades to come.

A Magistrate court had tried this case before. The sensible Judge there ruled Ibinabo should pay 100,000 Naira fine and the case was buried.
This new judge felt she had to do something and she exhumed the case. . . . . .She tried it with prejudice and found Ibinabo guilty.
Can you not see this case has many flaws??
What are the Nollywood actresses doing. . . . . .I expect a Union strike.
The statements quoted above is more than enough to humor me at the medieval courts. You sure deserve a place there! grin

Please go back and read the story objectively.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 5:14pm On Apr 01, 2009
Pataki:

The statements quoted above is more than enough to humor me at the medieval courts. You sure deserve a place there! grin
Please go back and read the story objectively.

U are not serious. . . .

Who would you rather have?? A female boss or A male boss??
Be honest here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? / FG Uncovers Overpayment Of N430bn To Fuel Marketers / Photo: Goliath's Skull Found In Holy Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.