Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,375 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri (8514 Views)

Did You See The Mistake On The Ministerial List Sent To The Senator Saraki? (Pic / I'll Send Corrupt Nigerians To Kirikiri Prison - Buhari / Al-mustapha Welcomes Bode George To Kirikiri Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 1:36pm On Apr 02, 2009
Ibime:

(1.) It is my business to be blinded by filial sentiment - if I am - but I am not the one misconstruing the facts on ground. I have said repeatedly that based on the charge of reckless driving, it would be more apt if she was given an 18 month sentence as that is the sentence I see handed out in the newspaper everyday for similar crimes. How is that being blinded by sentiment? Seun, Jakumo, Doyin and others have expressed the same sentiment.
It is within your prerogative to be blinded by family sentiment. It is however not within your prerogative to wanting to wash it down on your proponents. As I had earlier also posited, do not expect that you can swipe the emotional card on our face, and expect that it would wipe the slates clean. Ibinabo deserves the full measure of the law, however harsh it may seem. Sorry, but that is my view.

Ibime:
(2.) You don come with your small-mindedness again. Does 'disgracing you off the thread' hold any relevance to this discussion? You dey try show machismo even over a sensitive discussion such as this one. You can get your kicks whichever way you like. I dont need to disgrace you to prove anything.
Small-mindedness? I am laughing here again. I am not showing any machismo, as you laid an allegation at me, which I wanted you to prove clearly by quoting out my posts. However, you have failed to do that. Does that correspond to machismo?? Who is now being small-minded here? tongue
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 1:46pm On Apr 02, 2009
Pataki:

Ibinabo deserves the full measure of the law, however harsh it may seem. Sorry, but that is my view.

The full measure of the law for a case like this is not 5 years. I am sorry! 18 months max, except Naija is still in the dark ages.

spikedcylinder:

By the time you people finish with the insults, Ibinabo will be in Kirikiri. cheesy cheesy grin

Case is going to appeal. Except more developments before opening that bottle of bubbly, bad-belle!
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by spikedcylinder: 1:59pm On Apr 02, 2009
Ibime:

Case is going to appeal. Except more developments before opening that bottle of bubbly, bad-belle!

She's gonna have to sell some of you people's AGO to grease more palms if this case is going to go away.
I am still buying my bubbly though. angry
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 2:11pm On Apr 02, 2009
spikedcylinder:

She's gonna have to sell some of you people's AGO to grease more palms if this case is going to go away.
I am still buying my bubbly though. angry

Keep celebrating!!! E go do you like film.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by spikedcylinder: 2:25pm On Apr 02, 2009
Berra come and have a glass. You can only lament but she's going to jail. tongue
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 2:39pm On Apr 02, 2009
See your chin like pesin nyash. Dat your shine-shine eye go see wonders when appeal comes up.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by spikedcylinder: 2:50pm On Apr 02, 2009
Lol.
In fact, I'm awarding you the contract (seeing as "you people" like contracts so much tongue). 5000 "Ibinabo Must Go" placards and you must deliver before payment. tongue
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 3:20pm On Apr 02, 2009
Shut up, you old hag. . . . the initial fine was too light and the latest judgement is too draconian. . .other than that, I have said nothing except that this kind of case is more fitting with an 18 month sentence. . .  .what is so hard for you to understand about that?. . . . . imagine this brainless dolt asking me why I am comparing Nigerian and American justice. . . . infact, you are right!. . . . there is no basis for comparison. . . . one has facilities in place for determining culpability whilst the other does not. . . . only a inane caralho like yourself would justify a harsher sentence in a country where the road traffic authorities are incapable of ensuring transparent standards and post-accident analysis. . . .

First off, iya e ni "old hag", you bloody dimwit. Secondly, what is hard for YOU to understand that you are a biased slowpoke? So because the roads are "filled with potholes", she should be allowed to go scot-free? First she should be given "18 months" cos that's the American law for manslaughter, now she shouldnt be punished at all cos the roads are bad. Insensitive mongrel. Why not tell the family of the guy this rubbish. Now you went on about Ted Kennedy like you know what the hell you are talking about. Do you even know the story of the incident? Stop comparing American laws and cases that you know absolutely NOTHING about. You can keep bleating though, doesnt change the fact that your village "superstar" is going to Kirikiri  cool
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 3:23pm On Apr 02, 2009
spikedcylinder:

By the time you people finish with the insults, Ibinabo will be in Kirikiri. cheesy cheesy grin

They should give her time to find the father of her kid(s) before she's off cutting grass in prison.  cheesy
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 3:41pm On Apr 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

First off, iya e ni "old hag", you bloody dimwit. Secondly, what is hard for YOU to understand that you are a biased slowpoke? So because the roads are "filled with potholes", she should be allowed to go scot-free? First she should be given "18 months" cos that's the American law for manslaughter, now she shouldnt be punished at all cos the roads are bad. Insensitive mongrel. Why not tell the family of the guy this rubbish. Now you went on about Ted Kennedy like you know what the hell you are talking about. Do you even know the story of the incident? Stop comparing American laws and cases that you know absolutely NOTHING about. You can keep bleating though, doesnt change the fact that your village "superstar" is going to Kirikiri cool

Sorry, I don't trade insults with ladies. . . . I only made an exception for you because of your bovine reasoning. . . if you ask me again why I am comparing Yankee to Naija, I will e-slap you. . . . if Yankee can impose lesser sentences for 'proven' cases of manslaughter by reckless driving, why should Naija impose draconian sentences for cases they cannot even measure, whether by speed cameras or otherwise. . . .BTW, in a Pataki-esque manner, I implore you to find a quote from me saying that she should be spared jail. . . . of course, thats what I prefer, but that is not my legal opinion. . . . now if your pea-brain cannot understand that, I cannot help you. . . .

DeReloaded:

They should give her time to find the father of her kid(s) before she's off cutting grass in prison. cheesy

Nobody will even give you caralho talkless of pikin. Jealous woman.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2009
Sorry, I don't trade insults with ladies. .

You mean like these

Shut up, you old hag

this brainless dolt

inane caralho

Right? It'd be best if you stop fooling yourself.

This your "caralho" sef, sure it no be your mama middle name? Sounds more like a name for your swamp people. cheesy

Losers that find a bootlegged episode of Law & Order on the street and all of a sudden they think they know about American laws. Dont even know what concerns US laws with this situation.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 3:52pm On Apr 02, 2009
if Yankee can impose lesser sentences for 'proven' cases of manslaughter by reckless driving,

Your point? so because in SOME cases it's lower in The states that means Naija must follow suit? What kind of daft reasoning is this?

The fact that you are THIS biased is nauseating.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Druss(m): 4:09pm On Apr 02, 2009
she should have been treated more harsher ,
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 4:09pm On Apr 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

Your point? so because in SOME cases it's lower in The states that means Naija must follow suit? What kind of daft reasoning is this?

This just gets worse and worse. I dont know how people reason. I am done explaining shit unless you want me to open your head and put it inside.

Its called 'proof'. There is no proof that Ibinabo was contravening any traffic laws. All we have heard is that she crashed and killed someone. In Yankee, they can calculate exactly how fast a car was going, how many traffic lights it jumped etc. In Naija, Ibinabo can claim that she was observing the speed limit, she swerved to avoid another car (which is her actual defence) etc. Prosecutors cannot prove otherwise, this is why only a miniscule amount of vehicular homicide cases make it to court in Naija. The only witnesses are Ibinabo herself and the brother of the deceased, plus maybe some hawkers at the side of the road. To me, any judgement is not based on sound 'proof', therefore that must be taken into account when sentencing. To opt for a longer sentence than applies in established systems such as Yankee is lunacy.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 5:12pm On Apr 02, 2009
All we have heard is that she crashed and killed someone. In Yankee, they can calculate exactly how fast a car was going, how many traffic lights it jumped etc.

Is it really abnormal to you for one country to treat a crime differently in another country?

seriously?

why do you keep bringing up "Yankee", if you wanna use a country to compare. Why not the UK? What's this "Yankee" business?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 5:30pm On Apr 02, 2009
Druss:

she should have been treated more harsher ,

U disgust me!!!
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 5:43pm On Apr 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

(1.) Is it really abnormal to you for one country to treat a crime differently in another country?

seriously?

(2.) why do you keep bringing up "Yankee", if you wanna use a country to compare. Why not the UK? What's this "Yankee" business?

(1.) The only abnormality in this case is that it is abnormal. . . . in Nigeria. . . . if you are implying that Naija has a stricter record on this than Yankee, then you are defeating your own argument. . . . it we were to observe the axiomatic norm, Ibinabo will walk scot-free just like everyone else who commits vehicular homicide in Naija. . . . your argument simply doesn't make sense.

(2.) Yankee, UK, you name it. The last person I saw serving over 5 years for vehicular manslughter in UK was either a drunk driver, a repeat offender, or a habitual road-traffic offender.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Hauwa1: 5:53pm On Apr 02, 2009
Ibime,
her punishment (5 years) might have been so because they expected her to be a role model as an ex beauty queen, undecided
5 years is a short time, time flies wink
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by osisi2(f): 6:03pm On Apr 02, 2009
Have they measured here for the prison Uniform?
They should also sew a couple of maternity ones since she'll have at least one baby by one of the guards before being released.
That's the law grin
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 6:09pm On Apr 02, 2009
**osisi:

They should also sew a couple of maternity ones since she'll have at least one baby by one of the guards before being released.

grin cheesy
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by PeeDaVinci: 6:10pm On Apr 02, 2009
**osisi:

That's the law grin

Osisi, u bad ooooooo
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 6:23pm On Apr 02, 2009
Ibime:

(2.) Yankee, UK, you name it. The last person I saw serving over 5 years for vehicular manslughter in UK was either a drunk driver, a repeat offender, or a habitual road-traffic offender.

The drunk driver musta been a repeat offender with more than 20 previous convictions.
How can u send a single mother to jail for 5 years?? I weep for Nigeria with all these half-baked female Judges populating the judiciary system.
Ibinabo should not be serving more than 6 months. . . . . .Worst case scenario, 9 months.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 9:15pm On Apr 02, 2009
^^^Women will always hate on other women who are finer than them, including Nairaland women. If you ask them the real reason they hate Ibinabo sef, they will tell you its cos of some nonsense Nollywood intrigue that you neither know nor care about. Thats why they're here celebrating and high-fiving as if justice is supposed to come with a feel-good factor. There are no winners when justice is served for a case like this. Infact, it is supposed to be a sobering thought, not a cause for jubilation. Another factor is that the deceased is a medical doctor. I wonder how some individuals reason. Even the educated ones come here to yarn rubbish about the fact that Ibinabo stole the life of a breadwinner and such, as if that makes it any more grevious than if she hit a street hawker. Another factor is tribe! Believe it or not, if a Ransome-Kuti or such ran over an Okrika fisherman, you would hear a different story from these buffoons.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by bawomolo(m): 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2009
You guys don't fail to disappoint with your gender and ethnic biases. 

she should be out early with good behavior.  Didn't Tafa Balogun get off the hook within 6 months.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2009
Ibime:

^^^Women will always hate on other women who are finer than them, including Nairaland women. If you ask them the real reason they hate Ibinabo sef, they will tell you its cos of some nonsense Nollywood intrigue that you neither know nor care about. Thats why they're here celebrating and high-fiving as if justice is supposed to come with a feel-good factor. There are no winners when justice is served for a case like this. Infact, it is supposed to be a sobering thought, not a cause for jubilation. Another factor is that the deceased is a medical doctor. I wonder how some individuals reason. Even the educated ones come here to yarn rubbish about the fact that Ibinabo stole the life of a breadwinner and such, as if that makes it any more grevious than if she hit a street hawker. Another factor is tribe! Believe it or not, if a Ransome-Kuti or such ran over an Okrika fisherman, you would hear a different story from these buffoons.

U can understand why the females here are celebrating the fall of a fellow woman.
Jealousy is a cardinal SIN. grin
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 02, 2009
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

MIAMI (AP)—Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth surrendered in court Thursday to face charges that he was driving drunk when he struck and killed a pedestrian after a night of drinking at a ritzy Miami Beach hotel. He later was released and expressed condolences to the family of victim Mario Reyes.

Stallworth, 28, was led away in handcuffs after a short hearing before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy. He was released a few hours later on $200,000 bail and was planning to return to Cleveland, according to his lawyer.

In a brief statement outside jail, Stallworth said: “I just want to first extend my condolences to the Reyes family. My prayers are with them.” Stallworth also said he has “full confidence and faith” in the legal system.

Stallworth attorney Christopher Lyons said he would “vigorously defend this case” and that the defense team has already begun its own probe into the March 14 crash that killed 59-year-old Reyes. Lyons also expressed sympathy for the Reyes family.

“We want to stress there are no winners here. It was a tragic accident,” Lyons said.

Stallworth said little at the hearing. He was accompanied by his mother, Donna, in the courtroom, and was driven away in a silver Lexus after his release from jail.

If convicted of DUI manslaughter, Stallworth faces a maximum of 15 years in prison. The NFL and the Browns are reviewing the charges that also include a separate DUI count, and the Browns issued a statement saying the team is “disappointed” with Stallworth’s actions.

The judge set an April 23 arraignment date for Stallworth to enter a plea. Stallworth does not have to be present at that hearing.

A police affidavit said Stallworth’s blood-alcohol level after the crash was .126, well above Florida’s legal limit of .08. Stallworth had been drinking at a club in the swank Fontainebleau hotel in the hours before he got behind the wheel of his black 2005 Bentley GT and headed out on the MacArthur Causeway that links Miami and Miami Beach, authorities said.

Reyes, a construction crane operator just getting off work, was rushing across the causeway shortly after 7 a.m. to catch a bus home. He was not in the crosswalk when he was struck, and Stallworth told officers he flashed his lights and honked his horn in an attempt to warn Reyes.

Stallworth remained at the crash scene and told police “I’m the driver of that car” and “I hit the man lying in the road,” according to the affidavit. The car’s speed was estimated at 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth, who played in college for Tennessee, signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. He previously played for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

We are saddened by the circumstances that have taken place and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Mario Reyes,” the Browns said in their statement. “We have been in communication with the commissioner, who is reviewing the situation under league policies, and we will withhold further comment at this time.”

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would review the case under its conduct and substance abuse policies.

Stallworth will be prohibited from driving while on bail and not allowed to drink alcohol, according to court documents. He also must observe a midnight to 6 a.m. curfew and submit to random alcohol and drug testing through the NFL’s substance abuse program. He is allowed to travel between Cleveland and Miami and must seek permission for any additional travel.

if this had happened in the past(pre 2005) maybe ms celebrity could have picked a few pointers. . .
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 10:53pm On Apr 02, 2009
Ibime:

Dude, just a honest suggestion here; leave this thread and walk out of it. The more you keep typing, the more people will incite you to anger with statements just to annoy you. It is best for you to ignore this thread, as you would be typing based on your emotions and feelings. And seriously at the moment, it smacks of utter gibberish, which I normally and sincerely do not attribute with your postings on this forum.

Just a suggestion though. Still your call nevertheless. undecided
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 11:00pm On Apr 02, 2009
Thanks oyb, like I said some people just make up garbage to feel better.

He stayed at the scene of the crime but apparently Ibinabo couldnt because of the many potholes on the road
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 11:32pm On Apr 02, 2009
oyb:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns
if this had happened in the past(pre 2005) maybe ms celebrity could have picked a few pointers. . .

This analogy lacks any nous. . . .
How many times have drivers been lynched in Lagos after causing accidents.
Ibinabo feared for her life. . . . . .The scenario is different in the USA where pedestrians and other drivers don't act like savages.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by IGWEUSA(m): 4:24am On Apr 03, 2009
Its a pity that most of nairalanders are here lobbying for the reckless bitch [ ibinabo] without even considering what the family of the deceased is going 2tru.

Infact , she deserves a life sentence. embarassed
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by texazzpete(m): 7:21am On Apr 03, 2009
~Sauron~:

Ibinabo feared for her life. . . . . .The scenario is different in the USA where pedestrians and other drivers don't act like savages.

How many female drivers have ever been lynched in lagos?
How many drivers have been lynched for causing the death of a single person, driving a vehicle? Typically it's when a vehicle goes off the road and crushed okadas/market women/hawkers etc.

The first reaction should never be to run away. That's what is known as a hit-and-run. The first reaction should be to stop to help the victim in case he/she can still be saved. Why put yourself first after you may have killed someone?

Ibime:

^^^Women will always hate on other women who are finer than them, including Nairaland women. If you ask them the real reason they hate Ibinabo sef, they will tell you its cos of some nonsense Nollywood intrigue that you neither know nor care about.

It makes you no better for supporting this woman simply for tribal reasons

Ibime:

Thats why they're here celebrating and high-fiving as if justice is supposed to come with a feel-good factor. There are no winners when justice is served for a case like this.

The celebration comes from the fact that finally justice is served. There must be an end to people escaping their just punishment simply because of their 'celebrity status'.

Ibime:

Another factor is that the deceased is a medical doctor. I wonder how some individuals reason. Even the educated ones come here to yarn rubbish about the fact that Ibinabo stole the life of a breadwinner and such, as if that makes it any more grevious than if she hit a street hawker.

You call that rubbish, eh?
It takes so long and so much sacrifice to train a medical doctor that it throws up the N100000 fine as being extremely ludicrous.
It doesn't make it any less grievous if she had killed a street hawker. Does a street hawker not qualify as a breadwinner too?

Ibime:

Another factor is tribe! Believe it or not, if a Ransome-Kuti or such ran over an Okrika fisherman, you would hear a different story from these buffoons.

One thing is sure. We'd have heard a different story from you. It is worthy of note that you have always extended support and sympathy to MEND and their fellow criminally minded 'millitants' even though many of the Niger Delta people have suffered at their hands.

I wonder if you vigorously protested the earlier judgement of N100000 fine as you protest now?

We need to set a precedence that no-one is above the law. This is what the NDLEA protests about; people get caught with 15 kg of cocaine and yet courts impose only fines of N200000. We need harsh sentences like these to drive the message home.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Ibime(m): 9:29am On Apr 03, 2009
Pataki:

Dude, just a honest suggestion here; leave this thread and walk out of it. The more you keep typing, the more people will incite you to anger with statements just to annoy you. It is best for you to ignore this thread, as you would be typing based on your emotions and feelings. And seriously at the moment, it smacks of utter gibberish, which I normally and sincerely do not attribute with your postings on this forum.

Advice taken, however it is my prerogative to act a fool if I wanna.

~Sauron~:

The analogy lacks any nous because his is a drink driving case whilst I.b's is not.

texazzpete:

(1.) It makes you no better for supporting this woman simply for tribal reasons

(2.) The celebration comes from the fact that finally justice is served. There must be an end to people escaping their just punishment simply because of their 'celebrity status'.

(1.) I have called for an 18-month sentence which is usually what holds for cases like this. Nothing tribal about that.

(2.) You call making sick jokes about guards raping someone celebratory? You have another think coming. I.B is not a surreal fantasy or some Hollywood celebrity to make sick jokes about. This is a real person and I can name her whole family if pronged - and I know them personally, up to her grandfather. Hence my disgust at people making sick jokes. There is a difference between calling for a sentence and making sick jokes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wikileaks: SECRET CABLE FROM US EMBASSY ABUJA / Photo: Goliath's Skull Found In Holy Land / Pictures Of The Ebonyi State International Airport Constructed By David Umahi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.