Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (197) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (783859 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrMann1(m): 8:42pm On Jan 12, 2016
Pls what is the best method to make tuition payment
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrMann1(m): 8:46pm On Jan 12, 2016
dannybrown19:

Go to your bank and tell them u want to make use of Form A for ur tuition payment, they will actually request for all ur documents both visa and the rest. The procedure takes like 2 weeks at most.
That's what I used in making my own payment and the rate was 197 but my diamondbank charged me 1% of the naira equivalent
Pls can folks - sponsor do this on my behalf while I'm out of Naija. Thinking of dropping the copies of docs for them

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 9:16pm On Jan 12, 2016
warriboy21:

Hv u tried it b4

I make payment with Paypal and that's how it work because the receiver must have an account with Paypal
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 9:17pm On Jan 12, 2016
tudej:

Thanks so much for this. God bless you

Amen and lets give the thanks to God..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by lobito007(m): 9:23pm On Jan 12, 2016
ProfTPE:

Good morning, I think you should start by researching the decent Petroleum Engineering graduate programmes in the US. There aren't too many of them although they're damn competitive. Most Petroleum programmes like other programmes don't specify an actual GRE score on their website however it's generally believed that a quantitative score of 160+ gives you an edge. (Colorado School of Mines has a required Quantitative score of 155 while UT Austin has an average Quantitative score of 166 and Verbal Score of 155 smiley) The other programs I've researched have no particular score for TOEFL. Colorado is the only PE program that waives TOEFL for Nigerians. However, the TOEFL iBT requirement for most schools is around 79+ or thereabout. TOEFL shouldn't worry you so much though you'll need to do well since you said you'll need funding (GA,RA etc.) The focus now should be your GRE. I can't say anything about grades because I have no idea about how they evaluate that. Your statement of purpose is also very important. That's the summary of the advice I got from a senior colleague. I applied to a number of PE programs for 2016 fall.

UT Austin (Ambitious)

Texas A&M (Ambitious)

Colorado School of Mines (Ambitious)

Focus on these schools;

University of Oklahoma (Moderate)

Texas Tech University (Moderate)

Louisiana State University (Moderate)

University of Houston (Moderate; because the PE department is just four years "old"wink However, Houston is a very good school.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette (Safe)

Those were the schools I looked-into. There are still a number of other ones.....PennState cool, Stanford cool

Nice selection, bro. About LSU, what's their priority deadline for funding?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by haffikem(m): 10:25pm On Jan 12, 2016
vekanem:
Greetings and a happy new year to everyone. Came across the thread some hours ago. It has been informative. Kindly help me on this. I intend going for my masters in the united states. Graduate of petroleum engineering with a 2/2. Here is my questions
What are my chances of getting a scholarship to study a related course in my field?
With a good grade in either TOEFEL or GRE exams. Do I stand a chance of getting it?
Thanks as i anticipate your swift response.

Greetings to you too !

First thing you have to do is to get a WES evaluation of your 2 2 transcript .then get a good score in the standardized exams of both GRE and TOEFL. Before now applying for schools.

But in my own opinion I will strongly advise you leave petroleum engineering for now and try either mechanical which is a broader engineering and will give you limitless opportunities.

The industry is really down and diversification should be what you should be looking at. Abi you no dey watch cnn ?

I am talking from my opinion as the hype about petroleum is highly exaggerated. I was doing masters in petroleum but with the current market situations most companies don't fund schools again. Nobody told me to run without looking back. I am now in Electrical department.

Just do the needful .

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by haffikem(m): 10:30pm On Jan 12, 2016
ProfTPE:

University of Louisiana at Lafayette ( safe )

I won't advice my enemy to come do petroleum engineering in ULL.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by OjaP: 11:37pm On Jan 12, 2016
haffikem:

Greetings to you too !

First thing you have to do is to get a WES evaluation of your 2 2 transcript .then get a good score in the standardized exams of both GRE and TOEFL. Before now applying for schools.

But in my own opinion I will strongly advise you leave petroleum engineering for now and try either mechanical which is a broader engineering and will give you limitless opportunities.

The industry is really down and diversification should be what you should be looking at. Abi you no dey watch cnn ?

I am talking from my opinion as the hype about petroleum is highly exaggerated. I was doing masters in petroleum but with the current market situations most companies don't fund schools again. Nobody told me to run without looking back. I am now in Electrical department.

Just do the needful .

You're making sense. Mechanical or Industrial Engineering would be a good alternative.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by OjaP: 11:38pm On Jan 12, 2016
haffikem:

Why? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by haffikem(m): 1:11am On Jan 13, 2016
OjaP:

Why? cheesy cheesy cheesy

OjaP, if you come to the dept you will be like ; huh (your jaw will drop )
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by OjaP: 1:32am On Jan 13, 2016
haffikem:

OjaP, if you come to the dept you will be like ; huh (your jaw will drop )

What will make it drop? Is it that there are not enough professors? Or you guys attend classes under trees? I am lost.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 2:37am On Jan 13, 2016
haffikem:

Please, what's the reason for this ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by haffikem(m): 2:47am On Jan 13, 2016
It's a simple advice take it or leave it !

Shine your eye well well
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by OjaP: 3:53am On Jan 13, 2016
haffikem:
It's a simple advice take it or leave it !

Shine your eye well well

While I agree that this may not be the best time to study anything oil and gas related, telling people to run away from the petroleum engineering department at University of Louisiana, Lafayette without any justification won't convince anyone or make prospective applicants to follow your advice.

I have friends who graduated from the geology and petroleum engineering departments in the school working for good oil companies. I have also met many ULL alumni in several oil and gas meetings/conferences including the AAPG and SPE. I have also attended industry trainings with several of them and they all seem to know what they are doing. Few of my co-workers graduated from ULL as well and these guys are very smart.

Many other reasons for your hatred of the department maybe unavailability of funds to international student or favoritism as you may call it. I need to warn you to expect these kinds of treatment even in real life and at your work place; these are not enough reasons not to enroll in the department. I am still curious to know why you think folks shouldn't apply or enroll in the petroleum engineering graduate program in the school though.

-Ojap.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by haffikem(m): 4:19am On Jan 13, 2016
Ojap. If you are interested to know I can give you candid info but most definitely not on this forum. I am not forcing anyone to heed to my advice ; it's just a gentle warning.

They have good Alumni of which was one of the reasons that attracted me because I know one. But I bet you I know what I am saying and I really mean it.

I do not have hatred for the department but I feel we should alert intending students of what's on ground.

Nothing last forever though... but anyone thinking of enrolling in the department (I was specific ) not the school. Might as well think it through and reconsider other options at least for a year !
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dicapino: 5:15am On Jan 13, 2016
haffikem:

how far my guy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dannybrown19: 5:21am On Jan 13, 2016
MrMann1:

Pls can folks - sponsor do this on my behalf while I'm out of Naija. Thinking of dropping the copies of docs for them
Yeah, but I think you have to bear the same last name with the sponsor or he should get an affidavit of support from the court to back it up.. I actually did mine using my own account

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrMann1(m): 5:27am On Jan 13, 2016
dannybrown19:

Yeah, but I think you have to bear the same last name with the sponsor or he should get an affidavit of support from the court to back it up.. I actually did mine using my own account
Ok. Thank you. Pls what is the rate of using your visa or MasterCard over there
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 5:42am On Jan 13, 2016
MrMann1:

Ok. Thank you. Pls what is the rate of using your visa or MasterCard over there
rate is endless as far as there is cash in it, my neighbour uses the GTB platinum card to pay his tuition up until Governor Emiefiele ate his own words,so therefore get a domiciliary account in a "reliable' bank (maybe GTbank platinum card, or either diamond bank or fidelity bank dual currency cards), make sure you test run them a thousand times and request they left off the magnetic strip security(another CBN headache) so you can swipe(our Nigerian debit cards are over protected wink ) so do have a safe trip brother

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrMann1(m): 6:13am On Jan 13, 2016
amanze15:
rate is endless as far as there is cash in it, my neighbour uses the GTB platinum card to pay his tuition up until Governor Emiefiele ate his own words,so therefore get a domiciliary account in a "reliable' bank (maybe GTbank platinum card, or either diamond bank or fidelity bank dual currency cards), make sure you test run them a thousand times and request they left off the magnetic strip security(another CBN headache) so you can swipe(our Nigerian debit cards are over protected wink ) so do have a safe trip brother
Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 6:44am On Jan 13, 2016
meritdee:
Good afternoon fam... Pls is there anyone who can tell me about Dubai POE? Will 2hrs layover be enough to connect to another flight?

Flying with Emirates and the layover in Dubai is just 2 hours. Boston should be my POE tho, but I don't know if Dubai now operates like Doha.
be fast about locating ur gate o because u fit lost for d airport grin

una wait o.... e get d way my body de scratch me at tiimes for ere o for dis kpangolo yankee o embarassed.it usually occurs at some regular intervals..it started wen i first came but i ignored it but now d mata don serious o shocked..i stil de find wetin de cause am i no c. sometimes itches at my back, at my feet. n presently on my laps..and i kn soon it will be on my....( )

is it normal?@ dos older diasporans..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 7:19am On Jan 13, 2016
MrMann1:

Thank you.
good morning sir cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 13, 2016
meritdee:

Lol, now u are gonna make me jealous. 10-star indeed grin..

This is same Sorbital that we were both denied same day yeah? (Aug 5 last year)
Na so o my brother. I refired immediately and got stamped 5days later. Who say God no dey?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 13, 2016
warriboy21:

una wait o.... e get d way my body de scratch me at tiimes for ere o for dis kpangolo yankee o embarassed.it usually occurs at some regular intervals..it started wen i first came but i ignored it but now d mata don serious o shocked..i stil de find wetin de cause am i no c. sometimes itches at my back, at my feet. n presently on my laps..and i kn soon it will be on my....( )

Guy you're not alone on that. Have met two people sha who acknowledged the itchy thing...especially when uou sweat smallllllll. Na wao
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by meritdee(m): 8:23am On Jan 13, 2016
warriboy21:

Lol, okay o.. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by meritdee(m): 8:24am On Jan 13, 2016
Sorbitalll:

Na so o my brother. I refired immediately and got stamped 5days later. Who say God no dey?

God dey my brother
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Senatorbee(m): 8:26am On Jan 13, 2016
Pls what are the likely marital questions the VO can ask a newly married man going for undergraduate programme which will be sponsored by the father
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:28am On Jan 13, 2016
meritdee:

God dey my brother
So you're coming this spring
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 13, 2016
chummygirl:
@ Profojah,
I sent u a PM. Patiently waiting for your response. Thanx
Replied
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bekkyview: 11:10am On Jan 13, 2016
hi here am happy to be one of u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 13, 2016
OjaP:

While I agree that this may not be the best time to study anything oil and gas related, telling people to run away from the petroleum engineering department at University of Louisiana, Lafayette without any justification won't convince anyone or make prospective applicants to follow your advice.
-Ojap.

This is actually a good time to study oil and gas related courses. A lot could/will change in the next 18-24 months, and I think it's good someone is done with school when the industry picks up. Oil price volatility didn't start today, I think the IOCs and NOCs got too comfortable with oil above a 100 USD. It's understandable departmental funding will be reduced, but the truth here is this; research is a continuum. Oil at 35 today doesn't meant research will stop. I read the post that recommended switching to another discipline...That's not easy when you've put in five years for UG. We may not see oil at 100 for the foreseeable future; but it'll definitely rise above the current situation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.