Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,369 members, 7,819,328 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (785068 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrMann1(m): 11:09pm On Mar 31, 2016
slimmy2005:
3weeks is enough
Ok. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Fesobi92: 11:14pm On Mar 31, 2016
aamgroup:

Already done that.... Thanks
But they didn't send me any SAT material...
you can check en.bookfi.org or library Genesis to download for free. I downloaded many books for free on these sites. I hope it works for you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 11:15pm On Mar 31, 2016
gunther6:

Did you get funding from UND?
I am at MST geological engineering, don't leave Nigeria if they don't provide some form of funding, UND n SD Brookings are known to give funding for geological engineering(if not for cold wey dey that ends)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by ayosco2008(m): 12:19am On Apr 01, 2016
Fesobi92:
Any mathematician gunning for spring 2017 or Fall 2017 msc/PhD admission in the house? make we hook up with the admission process (from toefl, general GRE to subject test in maths). thanks
I'm applying for fall 2017.. Let's hook up. Contact me thru my signature.. Or u drop urs..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dannybrown19: 12:46am On Apr 01, 2016
exxy:
Who"s a computer science Major here, as many of us here, let's Know each other.
I am a computer science major.
Wetin dey?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 01, 2016
oganlalasokun:
does anyone here need a naira equivalent ? i need $1500 and i have the naira equivalent. i transfer the naira equivalent to your account while u give me dollar here in the US....i need $1500. pls e mail me.......oganlalasokun@yahoo.com
what's your exchange rate?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oganlalasokun: 1:16am On Apr 01, 2016
slimmy2005:
what's your exchange rate?
280 / dollar
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:35am On Apr 01, 2016
oganlalasokun:

280 / dollar
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oganlalasokun: 1:45am On Apr 01, 2016
slimmy2005:
280 abeg
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Denvan: 2:15am On Apr 01, 2016
MsNas:
@Topic:

Like I always say, America is what you make it out to be. Some people chose to see a glass half full, while some prefer to see it as half empty. It is what you make it to be. I know some of the issues I am gonna raise is over-flogged... but irrespective. I am gonna use myself as an example, therefore I will refer to myself a lot in this post.

1. Nobody said its easy. This is the same reasons why I tell people I know (on and off NL) to remove their rose colored glasses before entering America. Trust me, you will have it very very rough at the beginning. Make up your mind to start from the barest bottom of the food chain here and don't expect to be living the high life 1-2 years after getting here. I got here with no funding, cos I had conditional offer as I was switching from a Physics undergrad major to an IT graduate major. I was not supposed to get funding until I did my prerequisite courses and that should take me 1 and a half years. I paid my first semester fees no hassles, but because I knew getting funding for the next semester is gonna make my educational pursuits easier, I got good grades, pressed my graduate advisor, and while that one ran me around in circles, I pressed the graduate school. Point is I never gave up, I eventually got funding (almost 100% and I had just completed 1/4 of my prerequisite course) and my life became simpler. All these while, I never longed to buy a car (my friends were buying), never longed for vacations to Puerto Rico (people around me were going), I was simply focused on getting up the food chain. I have survived on $500 a month before (housing, bills, and to do fine girl o grin). Be prepared to manage for at least the duration of your grad school or education. I rarely ate out when I was in Arkansas and when I do, its $8 Chinese takeout. The people there know me and my friends. Lmao. Anybody who knows me on this thread knows I am an advocate of "Bring plenty food from Nigeria".

The food I brought saved me most of the time cos I barely spent $70 on groceries every month. I never used to eat at fancy restaurants then, unless I go visit my Oga at the top cheesy. I learned how to live within my means. I learned to hunt for bargains and sales. I learnt how to look good but not live beyond my means and run into credit card debt. Where to buy a Micheal Kors coat that retails for $350 for $70 brand new, where to shop for the cheapest groceries, how to cut my utility bills and not have too much to pay at the end of the month, where to buy designer apparel for 1/10 of the original retail price. I learned and learned and those practices got me through the days when I have little or nothing and is also helping me with my savings.

2. I know this has been said before, but I would repeat it. People in certain majors have it easy, but they certainly don't get things handed to them on a platter of gold. This is no fiction, but I applied to more than 150 jobs before landing one. I would mention some monikers at this point ..... people like vivvysparkles, FideliaJohn and co that I came here with had it tough, but they eventually got great paying jobs with superb benefits after months of looking hard. They didn't relent and they were rewarded. even if you are not majoring in the so called hot majors, make yourself employable. I have seen some Nigerians on F-1 visa applying to jobs here with the Nigerian style of resume (date or birth, state of origin, religion. etc) Who does that? Which employer will take a second look at those kind of resumes? cheesy

3. Don't be stuck in your comfort zone. Most people that I know here went to school in one state and got jobs in another state. They looked for jobs outside of the state they studied in. They didn't get too comfortable. Do not concentrate your job search in one state and do not be afraid of change. Change might be what you need to get what you want.

4. Prepare to cry, prepare to be frustrated but prepare not to give up. I have been frustrated and angry after I kept getting reject upon rejects from jobs I applied to, I had wanted to give up but I could not afford to. One tip I always give to people is "Until you get what you want, you can afford to give up" When I was applying to those jobs, I would get as much as 8 "We are sorry" emails in a day. At some point, I even got angry and decided to stop applying. But I came here to win, I came here to survive and that is exactly what I am gonna do.

5. Ask for opinions. Ask people who know more than you and they can give you pointers. No man is an island of their own and some people know way more than we do. One of the things I am most grateful to is having someone who always was ready to go the extra mile for me with advise, counselling, resume help, interview pointers.... anything! You name it. Find someone to be your sounding board. Someone to bounce ideas off of and you will gain a lot. I never knew one could have a full time job(not internship), be a full time F-1 student, hold a full time graduate assistantship and not even be in the same state your school is located. I am doing that right now and I wouldn't be able to do that if I had not sought advice from people who knew better than me and could offer concrete advises on the way to go.

6. I saw someone complaining about racism. Lmao. You must be joking. We are NIGERIANS!. Racism is a small thing compared to tribalism and we are the grandmasters of tribalism. I went to school in the bible belt of Southern US (google it) where racism is at its peak, but I refuse to be daunted. I don't even think I pay any mind to it. There has been issues where people have been racist to me, I simply call them out on it, refused to acknowledge it or simply cannot be bothered. Who cares? I have other things to think of than to be thinking of racism. Someone even complained about the cold, lmao. We call one of my friends masquerade because of the way she dresses in the winter. Bundle up oga or madam, you're complaining about cold, people in Naija are complaining about excess heat. Be content.

7. Pray like never before. You sure do need it. Prayers bring good luck and we sure do need that to survive in America. If I tell you the story of one of my friends who also happens to be a Nairalander, you will marvel at the glory of the Almighty!! The person is doing so great now, you will not believe that's his/her story. Prayers have saved me many times.

8. Set realistic goals for yourself and don't "look face" so to speak. When I came here, I walk everywhere I went, my school city had no public transport and I had no car. What would I do? Make good use of my God given car aka my legs! cheesy If you see me walking around in the crazy Arkansas sleet, snow or rain, you will pity me. I even used that to keep my weight in check. Lol. I had friends who had cars, bought cars months after we entered America. I know people that got cars from car dealers and were paying monthly, but I am not here to keep up with the Jones, I won't put myself in financial distress just so I could belong. Let the people at home know your condition, don't pretend. If you pretend to be rich and having a ball in America, they will keep asking you for stuff and how many people you wan explain to for Nigeria that all those your Facebook pictures is just packaging? grin Infact, I deleted more than 400 people off my Facebook when I moved here. I don't need unnecessary stress or demands in my life

One problem with Nigerians is that they expect to enter America and magically things will start to fall into place. Wrong. even natural born citizens have it worse. You can't walk if you don't crawl. You have to fight double or even triple hard to get your foot in the door and trust me, you will forget the days o. Also, cultivate the habit of saving, even if it's $50 a month while a student. That way, it will be easy to save and not get caught up with the good life after you graduate, get a job and start earning them big bucks. That way, you won't end up like those people who have spent decades in the USofA with nothing to show for it. If you are lucky to have trusted people in Nigeria, invest some of those savings back home, real estate is easy money in Nigeria. I'd even advise on taking advantage of the current naira/dollar price in Nigeria and invest back home. $1K will fecth you nothing less than 300K in Naija right now, think about it. You will have something to fall back on if at all there is need to relocate after a while.

I bless the day I decided to quit my job and made the decision to move here, my life is much better, if I had stayed back in Nigeria, I will also be in the same rat race. I am not a millionaire neither do I have a fat bank account but my quality of life is much better. I was in Nigeria in December and I saw things first hand. If you don't have someone to get you in the door in Nigeria, OYO is your case. How many people are making it big and hammering millions on a day to day basis back home? Less than 5%. Majority are living paycheck to paycheck, and that's the fact. If you don't have someone to give you a job, or give you a contract, 80% are gonna end up with a job that pays less than 150K a month. That's even if you get the job sef. I graduated college in 2009 and I know a lot of my former classmates who are working extremely low paying jobs or even with no jobs at all.

Sorry for the long epistle. cheesy grin
Hello, pls reply; I sent you an email. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 5:13am On Apr 01, 2016
oganlalasokun:
does anyone here need a naira equivalent ? i need $1500 and i have the naira equivalent. i transfer the naira equivalent to your account while u give me dollar here in the US....i need $1500. pls e mail me.......oganlalasokun@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cosxzbay: 5:14am On Apr 01, 2016
dicapino:

Lolz. How far please can expand this plagiarism. My thoughts are if I do a write-up and put references at the end. I am good
Putting references at the end is not sufficient. The best way to avoid plagiarism is to always apply this 2 key rules : ensure you reframe the author's work to your own understanding and acknowledge the author by citing him/her or if you must copy the author's work let it be a quote and cite the author. When you get used to this rules you will become smarter and understand how to play around it without really keeping 100% to the rules above.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by frankicon(m): 6:12am On Apr 01, 2016
HELP ALERT!!

Please i need you guys input i changed my sponsor from my brother inlaw to my Dad and my school Santa Ana college to
Kansas State University. How can i convince the VO on WHY I CHANGED MY SPONSOR AND MY SCHOOL please guys ur swift response is need
Thank yoou so much..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 6:44am On Apr 01, 2016
frankicon:
HELP ALERT!!

Please i need you guys input i changed my sponsor from my brother inlaw to my Dad and my school Santa Ana college to
Kansas State University. How can i convince the VO on WHY I CHANGED MY SPONSOR AND MY SCHOOL please guys ur swift response is need
Thank yoou so much..

We do not know why you changed, only you know that.

Have you considered telling them the TRUTH of your reason or is that too difficult and you need us to make up a lie for you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:08am On Apr 01, 2016
Has anyone seen this page? : http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/visa_agents.html

Nairaland is mentioned as a tool for interaction with the VOs.

cc Justwise
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by justwise(m): 7:20am On Apr 01, 2016
Fortissimo:

cc Justwise

Seeing it for the first time.

Positive news for travel section though.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:37am On Apr 01, 2016
justwise:

Seeing it for the first time.

Positive news for travel section though.

Yes o. Kudos!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by youngmoney416: 8:27am On Apr 01, 2016
Now I know that @justwise and others are VOs. So guys be careful with your lies
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 8:31am On Apr 01, 2016
Fortissimo:
cc Justwise

That is very good, but some are too blind to take notice!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 8:34am On Apr 01, 2016
youngmoney416:

We have proven that you make all different claims in your posts.
You are not the one to come here attacking people like Mr justwise!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by youngmoney416: 8:53am On Apr 01, 2016
worry359:

We have proven that you make all different claims in your posts.
You are not the one to come here attacking people like Mr justwise!
I didn't get your point
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 9:02am On Apr 01, 2016
youngmoney416:
I didn't get your point
You call other people liars yet you do not use the truth in your own posts.
Anyway I will not argue with you
You are not worth my time! angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by youngmoney416: 9:21am On Apr 01, 2016
worry359:

You call other people liars yet you do not use the truth in your own posts.
Anyway I will not argue with you
You are not worth my time! angry
This shows why you fail in class. You lack common deductive reasoning. I simply reffered to juswise as a VO being the op of this thread not as a liar. You coming here again here to exhibit your ignorance by accusing me of lieing when you have no prove to your claims and again displaying your insolence by mentioning that you don't have my time. Why can't you seat down to analyse your thought before expressing it. A word of advice for you. Peace!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aamgroup: 9:32am On Apr 01, 2016
Fesobi92:

you can check en.bookfi.org or library Genesis to download for free. I downloaded many books for free on these sites. I hope it works for you.

Thanks brother
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrMann1(m): 10:06am On Apr 01, 2016
dannybrown19:

I am a computer science major.
Wetin dey?

Computer Science major here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Fesobi92: 10:51am On Apr 01, 2016
Any maths major in the house? please mark your attendance here....fesobi92? present sir!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by lionlee216(m): 11:34am On Apr 01, 2016
anybody heading to Bridgeport?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by vivyval(f): 11:42am On Apr 01, 2016
MsNas, you are one bad-ass girl. smiley Thanks for the long epistle.it will surely help me. I arrived America on 31st. Thanks everyone for your inputs!

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 01, 2016
youngmoney416:
Not necessarily anyway, there are threads here on Nairaland that US Visa officers answer visa related questions freely. Here's one [U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (26) - Nigeria] is good,have a look at it! https://www.nairaland.com/2669622/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s/26

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.