Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 9 - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (1039890 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by berexio1: 6:02pm On Sep 22, 2015
ganiyuadeoye:
@berexio1....I have a good CGPA but i don't have a relevant experience in that field. I have been in an IT and Software field since i finished my BSC but i see myself as been able to come up with a reliable SOP.

What do you see about my chance now?

You stand a chance, like I said u need to mail ur program coordinator to get their opinion. No be me go give u admissions..so do that bro!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by busayo21: 6:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
Hi,

anyone recently submitted SOWP?

Hubby's application (online) with upfront medicals submitted on Friday.

Please what the average processing time?

Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by lekan008(m): 8:34pm On Sep 22, 2015
ganiyuadeoye:
Am applying for the master program, kindly update me of any information.
I've sent u a pm
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by berexio1: 8:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
busayo21:
Hi,

anyone recently submitted SOWP?

Hubby's application (online) with upfront medicals submitted on Friday.

Please what the average processing time?

Thanks
60 days!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ajaereogechi: 10:12pm On Sep 22, 2015
Hie how long does it take for your passport to be out after medical?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by benefe: 10:18pm On Sep 22, 2015
berexio1:
No supervisor needed. I am going for a course-based program.I hope u know the difference btw research-based and course based masters..The later don't require a supervisor. If you complete all that is required, u should get ur admission under 3weeks
Okay,thanks.
My research interests makes me go for graduate study in engineering as I have a science background,does my sop have to be extremely strong
Kindly reply.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by berexio1: 10:42pm On Sep 22, 2015
benefe:

Okay,thanks.
My research interests makes me go for graduate study in engineering as I have a science background,does my sop have to be extremely strong
Kindly reply.
U have a science background? And ur going for MSc in Engineering? I don't really get u well bro. Kindly be specific abt what u studied at UG and what u intend to study at PG

And for the records, having a science background would require u to stick to a science course of work for PG. Research MSc are more intense and require thesis. In addition to a few course work,which u will write in order to be awarded ur degree with thorough supervision during ur research.Sometimes evidence of previous research at UG level will demonstrate how adequate u fit-in to the program. So yes SOP can talk abt all that!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 10:56pm On Sep 22, 2015
@benefe @berexio1
No, having a science background does not require you to stick to science course work for PG. You can go for MSc in Engineering if you want. All you need is to be able to plausibly explain in your SOP to the admissions committee what synergies you see between your science undergrad and proposed research area in the engineering course that you choose.

In fact, it is extremely common for people with science BSc to do MSc in a related engineering field. Lots of physics BSc people do MSc in several engineering areas. Lots of chemistry BSc people do their research MSc in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, etc. And the list goes on and on. There are large overlaps between several scientific fields and engineering, don't let the department boundaries limit your research interests, so long as you can justify it. These days a lot of research is interdisciplinary and you should leverage that.

6 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chichi89(f): 11:00pm On Sep 22, 2015
ganiyuadeoye:
I there any penalty if you mail more than one supervisor in the same department asking them to be your research supervisor.

Congratulations.

Thanks man.

Hello, I'm female.
I really have no idea if there's a penalty for that.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chichi89(f): 11:05pm On Sep 22, 2015
benefe:

Hi Chichi, I will like to know how long does admission process take for engineering graduate studies. secondly did you do TRV, I am a bit confused because on CIC, I saw that temporary resident visa is for visitors but here I can see students still apply for it. kindly enlighten me. thanks
Hi!
I'm not an engineering student but it took me a month + to get a reply from the school. The important thing is to apply before the deadline set by the dept for applications.
Yes TRV is what you will apply for from Nigeria. It is the visa that allows you get into Canada because you really are a visitor. At the POE you will be asked to produce certain documents and asked some questions after which you will be issued a study permit; an important piece of paper that will be stapled to your passport. It is the study permit that gives you status in Canada . TRV is more or less a travel document.

To clarify, I believe its the study permit form that will be filled and submitted in Nigeria but a TRV will be issued.
You'll get your study permit when you arrive in Canada. I hope I haven't confused you.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by berexio1: 11:07pm On Sep 22, 2015
thesoj:
@benefe @berexio1
No, having a science background does not require you to stick to science course work for PG. You can go for MSc in Engineering if you want. All you need is to be able to explain in your SOP to the admissions committee what synergies you see between your science undergrad and proposed research area in the engineering course that you use.

In fact, it is extremely common for people with science BSc to do MSc in a related engineering field. Lots of physics BSc people do MSc in several engineering areas. Lots of chemistry BSc people do their research MSc in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, etc. And the list goes on and on. There are large overlaps between several scientific fields and engineering, don't let the department boundaries limit your research interests, so long as you can justify it. These days a lot of research is interdisciplinary and you should leverage that.
I agree with the examples cited....Sometimes the departmental requirements and the research areas are a factor to whether u have that leverage to exploit..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chichi89(f): 11:11pm On Sep 22, 2015
ganiyuadeoye:
Hello my great guys, please which of the season indicate january admission application.

Fall, Summer and Winter

I have battle so long with this, i don't want to make any mistake as i will love to put in for a january admission and the school said there january application closes October ......

I believe Spring should indicate January but nothing like Spring admission in the application portal.

Thanks as i Anticipated u guys response
Fall -sept to Dec
Spring/summer - may to Aug
Winter - January to april
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by busayo21: 1:23am On Sep 23, 2015
berexio1:
60 days!

Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chukwuma4891: 5:02am On Sep 23, 2015
Hello everyone, I submitted my paper route application since July 21 15 and no word from CIC up till now. Person don tire oo
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 23, 2015
Hello house, is there anyone here attending or applying to York university Toronto Holla!!!!!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 23, 2015
Hello house, Which school can a 3.6 CGPA get into for masters
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Khalesi: 8:40am On Sep 23, 2015
Hello house, I want to apply via online route. Under which category can I upload my academic documents WAEC, Neco, Transcripts, NYSC, CV. Should I put them all under LOE? Will appreciate a prompt response.

If I consider paper route, can I do my biometrics same day I go to VAC to submit my application?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by benefe: 8:53am On Sep 23, 2015
chichi89:

Hi!
I'm not an engineering student but it took me a month + to get a reply from the school. The important thing is to apply before the deadline set by the dept for applications.
Yes TRV is what you will apply for from Nigeria. It is the visa that allows you get into Canada because you really are a visitor. At the POE you will be asked to produce certain documents and asked some questions after which you will be issued a study permit; an important piece of paper that will be stapled to your passport. It is the study permit that gives you status in Canada . TRV is more or less a travel document.

To clarify, I believe its the study permit form that will be filled and submitted in Nigeria but a TRV will be issued.
You'll get your study permit when you arrive in Canada. I hope I haven't confused you.
@chi chi thanks you,u have not confused me,it's well said.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by benefe: 9:00am On Sep 23, 2015
thesoj:
@benefe @berexio1
No, having a science background does not require you to stick to science course work for PG. You can go for MSc in Engineering if you want. All you need is to be able to plausibly explain in your SOP to the admissions committee what synergies you see between your science undergrad and proposed research area in the engineering course that you choose.

@you guys thanks. It's well said. I am female not male. And secondly i have a degree on Microbiology and my research interest is taking me to environmental engineering. I do believe if a supervisor is willing to take one in the school then d case is solved,just to make my sop solid for visa application.
Thirdly, must the transcript be original copy if using paper route for visa application?
someone please respond, thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by EmmaMsc(m): 9:09am On Sep 23, 2015
Khalesi:
Hello house, I want to apply via online route. Under which category can I upload my academic documents WARC, Neco, Transcripts, NYSC, CV. Should I put them all under LOE? Will appreciate a prompt response.

If I consider paper route, can I do my biometrics same day I go to VAC to submit my application?

I am also applying online..

I am going to upload those docs under Letter of Acceptance since they are "academic". Then CV under LOE.

i suggest you also upload a one page doc under LOE itemizing all the documents uploaded under each section and the order to make it easier for the VO to understand
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Khalesi: 11:11am On Sep 23, 2015
EmmaMsc:

I am also applying online..

I am going to upload those docs under Letter of Acceptance since they are "academic". Then CV under LOE.

i suggest you also upload a one page doc under LOE itemizing all the documents uploaded under each section and the order to make it easier for the VO to understand
Thanks EmmaMsc
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by acolad(m): 11:58am On Sep 23, 2015
Keep on praying.. God will answer everyone's prayer. It will all be good news for the remaining parts of this year.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Sjvictor21: 1:13pm On Sep 23, 2015
Hello NairaLanders,

Please i need help, I have sent close to 30 mails to different professors all around schools in Canada, asking if any of them can supervise me. Most of them end up telling me that they need students with extensive research experience, or students that can apply for external funding. Please biko, how do i go about this? I am a final year medical student, where am i suppose to get such experience? or does this have to do with the way i write my emails? Some of the professors do not even bother to reply me. Another question is that, how do i write a research statement for heaven's sake. This is getting frustrating. Please kindly help.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by eridemilade: 1:40pm On Sep 23, 2015
[quote author=ganiyuadeoye post=38270222]

Ganiu Adeoye!!! Is dat you
Unilag shey
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by lonzo(m): 6:42pm On Sep 23, 2015
lonzo:
Hello to the gurus in the house.

i intend applying next month for my study permit

who can i send my SOP to help me proof read ?

@tnuola @team12 @justwise @fhemmy

Regards
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 23, 2015
[quote author=chichi89 post=38285441]
are you sure the same deadline goes for international students?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 23, 2015
Sjvictor21:
Hello NairaLanders,

Please i need help, I have sent close to 30 mails to different professors all around schools in Canada, asking if any of them can supervise me. Most of them end up telling me that they need students with extensive research experience, or students that can apply for external funding. Please biko, how do i go about this? I am a final year medical student, where am i suppose to get such experience? or does this have to do with the way i write my emails? Some of the professors do not even bother to reply me. Another question is that, how do i write a research statement for heaven's sake. This is getting frustrating. Please kindly help.

Google, your friendly answerer
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ajaereogechi: 8:35pm On Sep 23, 2015
How long does it take after medical for u to get your passport?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Habeeb521(m): 9:24pm On Sep 23, 2015
have you heard anything from seneca about admission letter
for winter 2016
ohammed199:
yes bro.... Senecca all the way !!!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 10:12pm On Sep 23, 2015
@sjvictor21
These tips on getting a research supervisor should help you.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 10:32pm On Sep 23, 2015
@thesoj what school are you in or applying to

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (401)

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.