Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Which Artistes Are Overrated? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Which Artistes Are Overrated? (7077 Views)

Caller Tunes Scam...how Upcoming Artistes Are Getting Ripped Off Their Cash / Why Ibadan Artistes Are Not Making It Big — Teazer / List Of The Past, Outgoing & Present Hip Hop Artistes In Nigeria (overrated) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Bamsyle(m): 1:21pm On Apr 01, 2009
I've stumbled upon more than 12 different threads on NL . . . all in respect of underrated artistes . . . mostly rappers . . .

I ain't seen many on the overrated ones.

The few I've seen are mostly indirect . . . mostly passing references to an artiste . . . or asking if an artiste is overrated or not . . . not a thread that wholly seeks to make a long list of overrated acts . . .

This thread seeks to do that.

Now, understand this - an artiste might be actually great . . . but when he/she gets a mark more than is naturally deserved, that's overrating . . .

Example, Artiste XYZ ought to get an 80% pass mark . . . he/she gets anything between 81 and 100, (s)he's being overrated . . .

This ain't about Rap artistes only. Any genre will do.

Mine's a short list . . . and they're rappers: Eminem, 50 Cent, G-Unit . . .

Got any? Post 'em.
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by dejiariyo: 1:56pm On Apr 01, 2009
lil wayne
50 cent
lil john
juelz santana
charles hamilton
bow wow
bird man
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Sauron1: 2:01pm On Apr 01, 2009
Mode9(he deserves 20%, he gets 99%).
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Bamsyle(m): 2:25pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Mode9(he deserves 20%, he gets 99%).

Really

Funny thing is - methinks it's on NL that he's overrated . . . in the real world, he's near being underrated/relatively unknown tongue
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by funkybaby(f): 2:33pm On Apr 01, 2009
Bamsyle:

Really

Funny thing is - methinks it's on NL that he's overrated . . . in the real world, he's near being underrated/relatively unknown tongue

I agree

It's just on this website that so much noise about him

@post
Lil Wayne
Estelle
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by bgees(m): 3:34pm On Apr 01, 2009
mode 9 and MI are overrated on the internet.
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by dejiariyo: 4:03pm On Apr 01, 2009
Bamsyle:

Really

lol nairaland gave him channel o awards? or is he overated in southafrica as well
nas,will i am,wyclef,ll cool j and talib kweli are fool for over rating him
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Bamsyle(m): 5:36pm On Apr 01, 2009
Hehe . . . you can't deny the fact that Mode9 is an underground rapper . . . that's what I mean . . . though I must admit he's the most popular undergee rapper in Naija . . .

The mere fact that he's underground makes him relatively unknown when compared with 'em mainstream cats . . . I mean, ask the average Nigerian about Modenine and he/she would have no clue . . . they're more conversant with Ruggedman, 2shotz, etc . . . even some who know him are only familiar with his single - 'Cry' . . . only the ardent rap listeners know him.

In all, that earlier post of mine was just to drive home a point - an artiste doesn't get overrated on the internet . . . it happens in the real world . . .

I saw naughtiness lurking around the corner . . . and tried to curb it . . . I doubt you understand wink
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Sauron1: 6:26pm On Apr 01, 2009
Bamsyle:

In all, that earlier post of mine was just to drive home a point - an artiste doesn't get overrated on the internet . . . it happens in the real world . . .

U underestimate the power of the internet!!!
The ratings are mostly done on the internet these days. Go to Youtube/various blogs and online polls.
Without the internet, Eminem wouldn't have been rated the best rapper alive.
There's no other medium 920,000 people woulda voted to determine something as flimsy as that.

Respect the INTERNET. grin
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by asha80(m): 6:34pm On Apr 01, 2009
Olu maintain
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Bamsyle(m): 6:50pm On Apr 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

U underestimate the power of the internet!!!
The ratings are mostly done on the internet these days. Go to Youtube/various blogs and online polls.
Without the internet, Eminem wouldn't have been rated the best rapper alive.
There's no other medium 920,000 people woulda voted to determine something as flimsy as that.

Respect the INTERNET. grin

You don't understand . . . agreed that ratings are done on the net . . . but by who MTV, VH1, etc . . . voters are peops like you and me who have the time . . . and atimes the resources . . . to do so.

I'm talkin' ' bout word on the streetz, what's the prevalent consensus amongst the people - students, workers, market women, the elite, the illiterates . . . everyone . . . 90-sumn% of these folks exist outside the internet.

Letz face it . . . majority of the war of words on Modenine on NL are mostly between his haterz and fans . . . most of the neutral minds are outta NL . . . that's where the real rating happens.
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by javalove(m): 6:58pm On Apr 01, 2009
Rug Head Man is over rated
MI is over rated
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Bamsyle(m): 7:13pm On Apr 01, 2009
@Java

MI does tend to get overrated when peops attempt to place the crown of 'King of Naija Rap' on his head.
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Sauron1: 11:56pm On Apr 01, 2009
Bamsyle:

You don't understand . . . agreed that ratings are done on the net . . . but by who MTV, VH1, etc . . . voters are peops like you and me who have the time . . . and atimes the resources . . . to do so.

'The street' is gradually finding it's way to the internet.

I'm talkin' ' bout word on the streetz, what's the prevalent consensus amongst the people - students, workers, market women, the elite, the illiterates . . . everyone . . . 90-sumn% of these folks exist outside the internet.

These days, 'word on the street' are discussed in schools, offices and markets and they tend to continue on the net.
The internet has changed a lot of things. 'Word on the street' is the credibility.
We all know Common, Ras Kass and Rakim are deep lyricists but put a poll online and watch Soulja Boy take em apart in ratings.

The generation gap might have been responsible for this shiznit. . . . . .People who use the net more are today's kids.
Old school listeners don't have time for the net and they hug the 'word on the street'. . . . .New school are satisfied Lil' Wayne and Rick Ross are the best rappers on the planet. grin

Letz face it . . . majority of the war of words on Modenine on NL are mostly between his haterz and fans . . . most of the neutral minds are outta NL . . . that's where the real rating happens.

I agree. . . . . . .
However, the actual statistics can never be determined outside the internet.
Who will conduct the poll on the streets?? cheesy
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by chamotex(m): 1:10am On Apr 02, 2009
Diddy cheesy grin
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by iice(f): 10:37am On Apr 02, 2009
50cent
kanye

I dont remember the others right now
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Bamsyle(m): 11:39am On Apr 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

'The street' is gradually finding it's way to the internet.

These days, 'word on the street' are discussed in schools, offices and markets and they tend to continue on the net.
The internet has changed a lot of things. 'Word on the street' is the credibility.

The generation gap might have been responsible for this shiznit. . . . . .People who use the net more are today's kids.
Old school listeners don't have time for the net and they hug the 'word on the street'. . . . .New school are satisfied Lil' Wayne and Rick Ross are the best rappers on the planet. grin

I agree. . . . . . .
However, the actual statistics can never be determined outside the internet.
Who will conduct the poll on the streets?? cheesy

Nah . . . 'word on the streetz' and the internet are worlds apart . . .

As you said, word on tha streetz is the credibility . . . the internet is largely fake - anything goes . . . it's just like elections in Naija - the so-called 'elected' leaders are actually selected . . . foisted on the people . . . the real leaders are the ones the electorate actually voted for . . . but who never made it to the throne . . . cos of some arm-twisting maniacs . . .

I might decide to mass-market an artiste on the internet . . . that does not mean that artiste is large in the real world . . . forget what I say on the net . . . I might call him superman on the net . . . but he might be so-poor-man in the real world . . . Ruggedman said it - "streetz dey rule, they carve your behaviour" . . .

The only artistes who manage to get credibility on both fronts are the conspicuously good ones . . . key words - good and conspicuous . . . known on both the mainstream and underground scenes . . .

We all know Common, Ras Kass and Rakim are deep lyricists but put a poll online and watch Soulja Boy take em apart in ratings.

Exactly ma point . . .

Thatz where word on da streetz differs from the internet . . . some spoilt buncha kidz would vote a million times to see Soulja Boy win . . . which real hip hop head has time for voting . . . especially on the net . . . the heads keep what they know close to their hearts . . . they reckon with Common, Rass Kass and Rakim . . . they won't even write a biography 'bout 'em . . .

Even amongst these nu-skul listeners, there's acrimony . . . go view comments on Lil 'Wayne and Rick Ross on YouTube . . . some peops still say they suck . . . and ask for the revival of the Golden Age of Rap - with 'em Biggie, 2pac, Rakim and others . . .

Word on tha streetz is what it is . . . it rarely leaves the streets . . . but it's the predominant news . . . everyone knows it . . . it spreads effortlessly . . . but no one is willing to campaign about it . . .

Unlike the internet, its actual statistics are not determined by polls but by common knowledge . . .

I mean, it's common knowledge that Barrack Obama is black . . . why take a poll to determine it

It's called The Truth . . . and The Truth does not fight to defend itself.
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by dammiecool(m): 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2009
Mode 9!!!
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by dammiecool(m): 12:34pm On Apr 02, 2009
If mode 9 says hes God,javalove,khanye n co, will worship him. grin grin grin grin
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Sauron1: 5:45pm On Apr 02, 2009
Bamsyle:

Nah . . . 'word on the streetz' and the internet are worlds apart . . .
As you said, word on tha streetz is the credibility . . . the internet is largely fake - anything goes . . . it's just like elections in Naija - the so-called 'elected' leaders are actually selected . . . foisted on the people . . . the real leaders are the ones the electorate actually voted for . . . but who never made it to the throne . . . cos of some arm-twisting maniacs . . .
I might decide to mass-market an artiste on the internet . . . that does not mean that artiste is large in the real world . . . forget what I say on the net . . . I might call him superman on the net . . . but he might be so-poor-man in the real world . . . Ruggedman said it - "streetz dey rule, they carve your behaviour" . . .

I agree with all these. . . . .
However, it is not feasible to put 'word on the streetz' in statistics.
Observers want to see stats like how monumental Biggie was in his days. How influencial was 2Pac??
People feel more at home with raw data than just 'word on the street' and this is where the internet comes into PLAY.
In a situation where you are determining the strength of 2 excellent rappers, the internet is definitely the best tool to deal with the situ.
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by ofokasibe: 6:15pm On Apr 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

In a situation where you are determining the strength of 2 excellent rappers, the internet is definitely the best tool to deal with the situation.

true talk SAURON IS BACK BITCHES !

@SAURON
do u watch 106 park freestyle friday >?
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Sauron1: 6:19pm On Apr 02, 2009
ofokasibe:

@SAURON
do u watch 106 park freestyle friday >?

I don't miss the show. . . . .
The top rated MC battler got to the final, didn't he??
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by mbulela: 7:15pm On Apr 02, 2009
olu maintain
tony tetuila
mode9
seun kuti
puff daddy (or whatever he calls himself now)
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by Bamsyle(m): 12:09pm On Apr 03, 2009
~Sauron~:

I agree with all these. . . . .
However, it is not feasible to put 'word on the streetz' in statistics.
Observers want to see stats like how monumental Biggie was in his days. How influencial was 2Pac??
People feel more at home with raw data than just 'word on the street' and this is where the internet comes into PLAY.
In a situation where you are determining the strength of 2 excellent rappers, the internet is definitely the best tool to deal with the situ.

I don't agree . . .

We're almost on the same page but you're missing my point by a hair's breadth . . . who are the observers Peops like you and me who've got 2 ears and 2 eyes, who can see, hear, feel and know what the real deal is . . .

Don't tell me that when you want to observe/understudy something, you go to the internet alone . . . whatever happened to the other sources of info - TV, Radio, Newspapers/Magz, Books The internet might be a good source of info, but believe me a lot of ish goes on there . . . it's ridden with scoundrels who just go there to vent their idleness on innocent observers . . . you gotta run a background check on stuff you see on the net . . .

If observers need stats on the legacies left behind by Biggie/Pac, they can get 'em from various sources . . . from documentaries to movies (e.g. "Notorious"/"Resurrection"wink . . . from what their living colleagues say about 'em (Nas, Jay-Z, Scarface, Dr Dre, Eminem, Snoop, Busta Rhymes, etc) . . . some of them were privileged to have collabed with them . . . it's called an eyewitness account . . . they can cop their albums, listen to them and friggin' judge for themselves . . .

The internet cannot be the best tool . . . it's fraught with a plethora of different blogs, websites and fora . . . each expressing their personal sentiments . . . if tomorrow I decide that Soulja Boy is the best rapper ever to have strode on the planet called Earth, I'll just open up a website for him and pour all the accolades under heaven on him, geddit

Word on tha streetz is what is commonly known . . . and agreed on by all and sundry . . . it needs no poll . . . no debate . . . it's entrenched in our hearts and minds . . .

Raw Data If you need one, ask 10 neighbourz to go round houses on yo' street asking all the residents who the best rapper ever is . . . multiply by responses from 10 other streets . . . collate all the answers and do the maths . . . what could be more raw than that
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by dejiariyo: 1:35pm On Apr 03, 2009
ruggedman he is highly overated, he shud be selling cars its seems he knows more about cars than hiphop
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by baslone: 11:49pm On Apr 03, 2009
Will Smith
Mode 9
Vanilla ice.
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by shotster50(m): 2:15am On Apr 04, 2009
Lil wayne
50 Cent
Jim Jones
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by unix4real1(m): 3:41pm On Apr 05, 2009
dejiariyo:

ruggedman he is highly overated, he shud be selling cars its seems he knows more about cars than hiphop

grin grin grin grin
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by rapjunkie(m): 7:00pm On Apr 05, 2009
M.I is the most overated musician in naija today. The hype surrounding this guy is scary. PLUS he bites loads of Mode9 lyrics and still gets props.

I saw the profile mesage on his FB recently and he reckons that the new music outta naija is not impressing him. Who the f*ck does he think he is? the messiah? Is he taking this 'Naija Kanye West' thing too seriously. He'll be throwing tantrums next!!!

Now I have to put up with that rubbish 'illegal mixtape' where he is singing nursery rhymes with a vocoder !!!!. . . . arrghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

angry angry angry angry
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by eldee(m): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2009
Notorious B.I.G

I'm not saying he's anything less than what he is, but c'mon . . .
This dude was/is the luckiest rapper ever, one 5-star album, one other album and voila, he gets a post-humous movie, collections of artistes swapping collabos on his songs, and Diddy milking millions from his 'legacy'.

Ever imagined what would have happened if he lived long enough to release 8-10 albums like Hov and Nas??
Or have you ever imagined the level Eminem woulda been placed if we were only to judge him on his best two albums??

I'm very sure of one thing though, if he'd been alive today, he'd prolly be one of the 'legends' that only come on TV to frown about the 'state of modern hiphop'.
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:37pm On Apr 05, 2009
iice. Kanye? *waka* angry tongue
Seriously best thing to happen to hip-hop now. The only rap artist now worthy of my itouch. tongue

eldee

which of Biggie's albums do you consider to be the 5-star one?
Re: Which Artistes Are Overrated? by eldee(m): 8:20pm On Apr 05, 2009
@TOH
C'mon, it has to be Ready to Die

His first-person description of the Rags To Riches story is next only to Nas

Kanye is prolly the most underrated rapper of our time
I don't get ths thing about 'hiphop heads' discriminating against people that speak middle-class English
He's prolly the only rapper I'll be able to relate one-on-one with, if we met this evening

Besides, his bravery is out-of-this world . . . started the whole respectable gentleman thingy in hiphop
For once rappers didn't have to put the whole costume up to drop bars, his creativity?? damn . . . another day's topic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Behind-The-Scenes Photos Of 'I Wish' By Waje / Ciara Vs Aaliya / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.