Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,982 members, 7,810,738 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:09 PM

Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? (16223 Views)

Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? / The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? / How Well Did I Understand Grace Before I Understood Grace? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:59am On Sep 11, 2015
Is the Adam and Eve story to be understood literally? Why is it so important for the account of Adam and Eve to be interpreted literally?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2015
if not literally, how else can it be interpreted? cuz i don't see it as a proverb...

1 Like

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Scholar8200(m): 12:05pm On Sep 11, 2015
Aye, why not?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by gunpoint(m): 12:13pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
Is the Adam and Eve story to be understood literally? Why is it so important for the account of Adam and Eve to be interpreted literally?
I don't think so...
Genesis is not a literal story
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:16pm On Sep 11, 2015
Dharniel:

if not literally, how else can it be interpreted? cuz i don't see it as a proverb...

Roman Catholics for instance, believe it is allegorical.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23pm On Sep 11, 2015
gunpoint:

I don't think so...
Genesis is not a literal story

Why not, are you Roman Catholic?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Scholar8200(m): 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Why not, are you Roman Catholic?
Is it true that Roman catholics do not take it literally? I need an objective answer.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2015
Scholar8200:

Is it true that Roman catholics do not take it literally? I need an objective answer.

Let's wait for them to give their own side of the story. Hopefully. undecided
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
Man has become intelligent, Man has understood that the Adam n eve ish na Hebrew Myths n Legends.

5 Likes

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
Scholar8200:

Their Pope has spoken. God is not a magician. cool

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Scholar8200(m): 3:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Interesting; still waiting for an affirmation or denial by a NL
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:15pm On Sep 11, 2015
Scholar8200:

Interesting; still waiting for an affirmation or denial by a NL

Here is a list of NL catholics to either affirm or deny the claim: italo, btoks, MariaGoretti, dmandy, SalC, Syncan, Rich4god, FrancisTony, Bluerange, Debbie, Damerry, Ubenedictus, Jnrbayano, Kamsified, Titoetal, Jennydoris, Vest, HurricaneChris, MariaGorreti, Aizenosa, Babestell, e.t.c. cool
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by TrajansKong: 4:38pm On Sep 11, 2015
There is no doubt to those who have studied the scriptures most deeply that the account from God is true. The Bible is without error. A man Adam was created from dust and the breath of God. The woman was called Eve. She was made from his rib to serve him (helpmeet as the scholars informs us). Therefoe Adam and Eve are the mother and father of us all.

To think otherwise is to risk eternal torture in hellfire. Be ye not wise in your own conceits!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Here is a list of NL catholics to either affirm or deny the claim: italo, btoks, MariaGoretti, dmandy, SalC, Syncan, Rich4god, FrancisTony, Bluerange, Debbie, Damerry, Ubenedictus, Jnrbayano, Kamsified, Titoetal, Jennydoris, Vest, HurricaneChris, MariaGorreti, Aizenosa, Babestell, e.t.c. cool

Yes, who called me.

I am a proud Catholic. I am a Nairalander.

Wetin happen?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:02pm On Sep 11, 2015
dmandy:

Yes, who called me.

I am a proud Catholic. I am a Nairalander.

Wetin happen?

Yes. I conjured you up to answer the pertinent questions on this thread. Is the story of Adam and Eve allegorical or literal? smiley
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Yes. I conjured you up to answer the pertinent questions on this thread. Is the story of Adam and Eve allegorical or literal? smiley

Okay,

I think it's literal.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:05pm On Sep 11, 2015
dmandy:

Okay,

I think it's literal.

That's interesting. May I ask why you think so?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Scholar8200(m): 5:05pm On Sep 11, 2015
dmandy:

Okay,

I think it's literal.
Any other catholic seconding this before we move on with the thread?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 11, 2015
Scholar8200:
Any other person seconding this before we call it a thread? smiley

Speak in English
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Scholar8200(m): 5:07pm On Sep 11, 2015
dmandy:

Speak in English
Unfortunately nairaland is not like whatsapp where audio messages can be sent! smiley

Did I just inspire somebody?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

That's interesting. May I ask why you think so?

It's a creation story, it ought to be literal.

If your confusion is about the use of day 1 and day 2, instead of the following day there is no need to be. To me, what matters is that it took a day to undertake each of those. It may not necessarily mean sequentially. Although what do I know?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 11, 2015
Scholar8200:
Unfortunately nairaland is not like whatsapp where audio messages can be sent! smiley

Did I just inspire somebody?

Yes brother you did.

Okay, write in English.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:15pm On Sep 11, 2015
dmandy:

It's a creation story, it ought to be literal.

If your confusion is about the use of day 1 and day 2, instead of the following day there is no need to be. To me, what matters is that it took a day to undertake each of those. It may not necessarily mean sequentially. Although what do I know?

So you think it might not be 6 consecutive days? undecided
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

So you think it might not be 6 consecutive days? undecided

Not necessarily. What do you think yourself?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:19pm On Sep 11, 2015
dmandy:

Not necessarily. What do you think yourself?

I need to fully understand what you meant by saying that the creation story should be understood literally before I tell you what I think. cool
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

I need to fully understand what you meant by saying that the creation story should be understood literally before I tell you what I think. cool

It happened, not symbolic. Adam and Eve were real.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:28pm On Sep 11, 2015
dmandy:

It happened, not symbolic. Adam and Eve were real.

Is this a uniformed teaching in the Roman Catholic Church or this is just what you think? undecided
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Is He?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Is this a uniformed teaching in the Roman Catholic Church or this is just what you think? undecided

Yes Catholic church believes its a real story. But the consecutive part is mine.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by ayoku777(m): 5:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

The story of Adam and Eve is a literal story. They were literal living beings with souls.

Gen 2v7 -And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

And remember also that Jesus is the second Adam. If the second Adam is a literal being, who came to redeem us from the consequences of the sin of the first Adam. Then the first Adam must have been a literal being who sinned.

Secondly, if Adam and Eve were an allegory, then from where do we trace the genealogy of mankind?

There is no account of God ever going back to the ground to create a new set of mankind from which we can trace the literal lineage of man, if indeed Adam and Eve were myths or an allegory.

All the genealogy in scripture traced the genealogy of man all the way to Adam or from Adam.

Luke 3v38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

If Adam and Eve were myths or allegory, the genealogy would not be possible, because it would mean that literal beings were born of allegorical beings, Adam and Eve.

The only other option would therefore be to conclude that every other bible character and story were allegories. Noah and the flood, the catching up of Enoch, Abraham, Lot, etc. Because they were born of Adam and Eve.

But Enoch was called the seventh from Adam, meaning Enoch, a literal being, was seventh generation of the lineage of Adam.

Jude 1v14 -And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

Adam must have been a literal being for him to be the seventh generation parent of another literal being.

The scripture did make sure claims that all these bible characters were literal beings. And that the serpent did really beguile Eve (2Cor 11v3)

Literal men were condemned to death by the sins of a literal man, Adam. Not the sin of an allegory. That is why they needed to be saved by the obedience of another literal man, the last Adam.

Adam and Eve and their lives are literal stories, not allegories.

Shalom.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

You see how human beings communicate?

I am answering your questions now, you are happy. Throwing in more. But if I ask you one now, you will go like shocked shocked shocked

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Jeromejnr(m): 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2015
ayoku777 has explained it all.

No need for assumptions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Six Important Things You Should Seek From God / Service In Your Room Is Never The Same As Going To Church. / Why Was Mary Chosen To Birth Jesus Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.