Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? (16295 Views)

Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? / The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? / How Well Did I Understand Grace Before I Understood Grace? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Jeromejnr(m): 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2015
dazzlingd:

to seek truth and knowledge cannot kill, only lack of it can make one perish..

The fact is just that many Christians are too ignorant. They don't even know what they worship, practice and preach. no wonder they can't stand an argument with aethist....
and wen they ve been totally cornered by questions they can't answer, their best escape route is to threaten with eternal damnation or otherwise claim nothing is impossible.

perhaps you are expecting everyone to be converted the way Paul was converted?

people will ask questions, it is their rights, and only the truth can set one free....

But the Lord never reasoned logic and science with persons. Neither did the apostles or their disciples.

For what did the Lord say "what I hear my Father say I say, what I see Him do I do, on My own I can do nothing".
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Here is a list of NL catholics to either affirm or deny the claim: italo, btoks, MariaGoretti, dmandy, SalC, Syncan, Rich4god, FrancisTony, Bluerange, Debbie, Damerry, Ubenedictus, Jnrbayano, Kamsified, Titoetal, Jennydoris, Vest, HurricaneChris, MariaGorreti, Aizenosa, Babestell, e.t.c. cool

weytin dey happen here.

I saw my username,
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2015
dmandy:

It happened, not symbolic. Adam and Eve were real.
i certainly agree that the story of adam and eve in the bible relates a real event in salvation history.

1 Like

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Ovamboland(m): 4:29pm On Sep 24, 2015
TrajansKong:
There is no doubt to those who have studied the scriptures most deeply that the account from God is true. The Bible is without error. A man Adam was created from dust and the breath of God. The woman was called Eve. She was made from his rib to serve him (helpmeet as the scholars informs us). Therefoe Adam and Eve are the mother and father of us all.

To think otherwise is to risk eternal torture in hellfire. Be ye not wise in your own conceits!

See your life, colo-mentality, so those oyinbos are your ancestors. Even their own scientists have so far shown that human life started in Africa
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:53am On Dec 25, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Is the Adam and Eve story to be understood literally? Why is it so important for the account of Adam and Eve to be interpreted literally?

Suggested answer:

Let us assume for a moment that the Adam and Eve story is not to be understood literally. What would be the result? Would Christianity remain essentially the same with a non-literal understanding of the story of Adam and Eve? No. In fact, it would have serious implications for virtually every tenet and doctrine of the Christian faith. If Adam was not a real man, then sin did not enter the world through one man as Romans 5:12 states. How, then, did sin enter world? Further, if the New Testament is wrong about how sin entered the world, what else is it wrong about? If Romans 5:12 is wrong, how do we know that the entirety of Romans 5:8—15 is not wrong? If the story of Adam and Eve is not to be taken literally—if they did not really exist—then there was no one to rebel, there was no fall into sin. Satan, the great deceiver, would like nothing better than for people to believe that the Bible should not be taken literally and that the story of the fall of man is a myth. Why? Because once we start denying parts of the Bible, we lose our trust in the Bible. Why should we believe anything God's Word says if we cannot trust everything that it says?

Jesus taught that God created one man and one woman (Mark 10:6) and mentions Abel, a son of Adam and Eve in Luke 11:51. Was Jesus wrong in His beliefs? Or did Jesus know there were no literal Adam and Eve and He was simply accommodating His teaching to the beliefs of the people (i.e., lying)? If Jesus is wrong in His beliefs, He is not God. If Jesus is intentionally deceiving people, He is sinning and therefore cannot be the Saviour (1 Peter 1:19).

That is why this is such a serious issue. To deny the literalness of Adam and Eve is to place oneself in opposition to Jesus and the apostle Paul. If one has the audacity to claim he is right and Jesus and Paul are wrong, then Jesus is a sinner, not God and not the Saviour; the apostle Paul is a false prophet; and the Bible is not inspired, inerrant, or trustworthy.

The Bible clearly presents Adam and Eve as literal people who existed in a literal Garden of Eden. They literally rebelled against God, they literally believed Satan's lie, and they were literally cast out of the Garden (Genesis 3:24). They had literal children, all of whom inherited the sin nature, and that nature was passed down to succeeding generations to this very day. Fortunately, God promised a literal Saviour to redeem us from that sin nature (Genesis 3:15). That Saviour is Jesus Christ, called the "last Adam" (1 Corinthians 15:45), who died on a literal cross and literally rose again. Those who believe in Christ will have literal salvation and spend eternity in a literal heaven.

Christians who deny the story of Adam and Eve essentially deny their own faith. Rejecting the literal interpretation of the Bible's historical narratives is a slippery slope. If Adam and Eve did not exist, then were Cain and Abel not real? Did Seth exist, and did he father a godly line that led all the way to Abraham and eventually to Jesus Himself? Where in Luke's genealogy (Luke 3:23–38) do the names stop referring to literal people and start referring to mythical characters? To dismiss Adam and Eve as non-literal is to deny the accuracy of Luke's gospel, cast aspersions on Moses' record, and remove the foundation of the rest of the Bible.

Jesus God's Word claims to be true (Psalm 119:160). Jesus Christ declared God's Word to be truth (John 17:17). All of God's Word is God-breathed (2 Timothy 3:16-17). These declarations include the biblical account of Adam and Eve.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Adam-and-Eve-story.html
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
Ubenedictus:

i certainly agree that the story of adam and eve in the bible relates a real event in salvation history.

Does that mean you do not agree with your Pope who thinks its an allegory?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

hello Conspiracy theorist,The Pope doesn't think so. Pope says even if evolution is correct, it requires creation of things which evolve thereby saying that bible account supersedes scientific evolutionary account.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:08pm On Dec 30, 2015
dmandy:

hello Conspiracy theorist,The Pope doesn't think so. Pope says even if evolution is correct, it requires creation of things which evolve thereby saying that bible account supersedes scientific evolutionary account.

In other words your pope believes things evolve thereby contradicting the six days of creation, no? undecided
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:52am On Jan 01, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

it can also b an allegory of a real event. We dont disagree.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:42am On Jan 07, 2016
Ubenedictus:

it can also b an allegory of a real event. We dont disagree.

You cannot teach and believe that God created the world in 6 days and at the same time believe that God used evolution to create it in billions of years, can you? undecided
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:12pm On Jan 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You cannot teach and believe that God created the world in 6 days and at the same time believe that God used evolution to create it in billions of years, can you? undecided
WHAT DO U UNDERSTAND BY 6 DAYS?
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:34pm On Jan 18, 2016
Ubenedictus:

WHAT DO U UNDERSTAND BY 6 DAYS?

6 billion years? undecided
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by FlipGamBino: 11:43am On Jan 19, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

So you think it might not be 6 consecutive days? undecided

If it wasn't 6 consecutive days then I don't know why God had to take the 7th day off.

The Genesis rendition same as all other creation stories are clearly allegorical, speaking of deep mystical secrets in literally every line. It is not originally Hebrew as it was clearly borrowed from a vast number of creation stories told centuries before its writing.

It is incomplete, if a literal read was to be made; the Vedas would be more appropriate.

The Adam and Eve story is also not complete even going by Jewish lines, one should consider the story of Lilith- Adams first bride and how this follows with the "deciever" probably Lilith's new consort Arch angel Samael coming into play and a more robust story of the banishing of both from the garden. This would have made a fuller read.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:41pm On Jan 20, 2016
FlipGamBino:

If it wasn't 6 consecutive days then I don't know why God had to take the 7th day off.

The Genesis rendition same as all other creation stories are clearly allegorical, speaking of deep mystical secrets in literally every line. It is not originally Hebrew as it was clearly borrowed from a vast number of creation stories told centuries before its writing.

It is incomplete, if a literal read was to be made; the Vedas would be more appropriate.

The Adam and Eve story is also not complete even going by Jewish lines, one should consider the story of Lilith- Adams first bride and how this follows with the "deciever" probably Lilith's new consort Arch angel Samael coming into play and a more robust story of the banishing of both from the garden. This would have made a fuller read.

If you are saying that the genesis account is an allegory then you are saying that the story is a myth and our Lord Jesus Christ did not descend from a myth. Maybe God intends us to take a billion years off as rest if we are to go by your allegories. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:38pm On Jan 20, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

6 billion years? undecided
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by FlipGamBino: 1:12pm On Jan 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

If you are saying that the genesis account is an allegory then you are saying that the story is a myth and our Lord Jesus Christ did not descend from a myth. Maybe God intends us to take a billion years off as rest if we are to go by your allegories. undecided

My good friend, the Lord definitely walked the earth, lived as a rabbi and died, clearly not a myth, the times depicted by the bible might not be completely accurate with regards his living, many things point to this, but he lived. That being said Jesus Christ was a biological decendant of Joseph and Mary, not Genesis.

With regards the creation story what either you or I believe is insignificant on the grand scale of things, what's more important is that you unapologetically believe it.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by orisa37: 5:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
For those drinking milk, yes. But for those eating meat, every word in the Bible is a figure of speech, a parable and God's own way of instructing, directing and discerning us, because we are many and we keep reducing and increasing in number.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23pm On Jul 01, 2016
orisa37:

For those drinking milk, yes. But for those eating meat, every word in the Bible is a figure of speech, a parable and God's own way of instructing, directing and discerning us, because we are many and we keep reducing and increasing in number.

I disagree. The Bible is not just figure of speech. You have historical and scientific facts in the Bible. You will also discover that there are prophecies, psalms, poetry and above all, it is a spiritual book. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by orisa37: 3:28pm On Jul 01, 2016
It's a Spiritual Book. That's why I like the Book and your comments.
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:15pm On Jul 07, 2016
orisa37:

The Bible can be said to be Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. Remain blessed. smiley
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:43am On Nov 03, 2017
orisa37:

Way to go! smiley
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by orisa37: 1:42pm On Nov 03, 2017
It is The Theory and Practice of Life.
It tells us how to Act, Produce and Distribute the products and articles of our actions.
It tells us how to Interact, improve, expand, increase, advertise righteously and rationally the products and services of our interactions.
It empowers us with Motion of limbs and senses to cooperate, coordinate and compute relationships.
It is The Spiritual Fundamentals of our Faith, Hope, Peace, Patience, Perseverance, Humility and Love for our Creator and ourselves.
On these Fundamentals, Jesus came to show and tell us He is The Way to go, The Truth and The Life in Adam, Eve, Abraham, Mary and all of us.
No one returns to The Creator without Him!!!
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:19am On Jun 04, 2018
orisa37:

It is The Theory and Practice of Life.
It tells us how to Act, Produce and Distribute the products and articles of our actions.
It tells us how to Interact, improve, expand, increase, advertise righteously and rationally the products and services of our interactions.
It empowers us with Motion of limbs and senses to cooperate, coordinate and compute relationships.
It is The Spiritual Fundamentals of our Faith, Hope, Peace, Patience, Perseverance, Humility and Love for our Creator and ourselves.
On these Fundamentals, Jesus came to show and tell us He is The Way to go, The Truth and The Life in Adam, Eve, Abraham, Mary and all of us.
No one returns to The Creator without Him!!!

Should the Genesis account be understood literally? undecided
Re: Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:56pm On May 09, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Is the Adam and Eve story to be understood literally? Why is it so important for the account of Adam and Eve to be interpreted literally?

It is important that the Adam and Eve Story is to be understood literally.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? / Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Storms Abuja For Partners, Sons & Daughters Night / Is It Possible To Change God's Will Through Prayer ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.