Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,003 members, 7,852,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:46 PM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (84076 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:30pm On Apr 20, 2010
Alice in Wonderland

Directed by Tim Burton

Starring
Mia Wasikowska
Johnny Depp
Helena Bonham Carter
Anne Hathaway
Stephen Fry
Crispin Glover
Michael Sheen

Your reviews next. .

Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:06pm On Apr 20, 2010
ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2010)

Directed by: Tim Burton

Starring: Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Stephen Fry, Crispin Glover, Michael Sheen, Barbara Windsor, Matt Lucas, Alan Rickman

Image courtesy: http://www.movieposterdb.com

Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:53pm On Apr 20, 2010
What can I say about "Alice in Wonderland (2010)". I enjoyed the adventure. This should be the second Tim Burton movie I enjoyed since "Sleepy Hollow (1999)". My favourite characters in the movie has to be Mad Hatter (played by Johnny Depp), Knaves of Heart (played by Crispin Glover), Dormouse (voiced by Barbara Windsor) and Alice (played by Mia Wasikowska).

I give the film an 88% rating.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 10:16am On Apr 21, 2010
So, let the reviews start. wink
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:57am On Apr 21, 2010
Directed by Tim Burton
Produced by
Richard D. Zanuck
Joe Roth
Suzanne Todd
Jennifer Todd
Written by
Linda Woolverton (screenplay)
Lewis Carroll (book)
Starring
Mia Wasikowska
Johnny Depp
Helena Bonham Carter
Anne Hathaway
Stephen Fry
Crispin Glover
Michael Sheen

Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 11:40am On Apr 22, 2010
Hurray!! My posts has been recovered. cheesy grin grin
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 2:44pm On Apr 22, 2010
Jk, is it your Malasian keyboard that was making your post hiccup like that? Yes, you get banned for bypassing the word filter. tongue
Don't mind Vescucci, he has kraw kraw. grin grin
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:01pm On Apr 22, 2010
Spikey
For some silly reasons. .my posts were gettin deleted. So I had to repost. Then the deleted posts came back. .thus the multiple posts. .
My Malaysian keyboard is still working well. I exchanged with a friend though. Bur I'm scared for him cos he has a report to submit tmrw and he doesn't knw about the fullstops. . .yet. Lol.

vesc has kraw kraw. Lmao. .
Where do u think he got it from?

@ topic
Comin up with my review. .
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 3:16pm On Apr 22, 2010
Vesc got it from eating too much fish eye. His wife, Gabourey Sidibe said he relishes those. tongue grin grin grin
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 4:07pm On Apr 22, 2010
Lmao,
Roflmao. SIDIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahahah. .
spiked has killed me oooooo
Lmaooooo. .

I saw the Sidibe girl on the red carpet and I was like. . . Haaaaaaaaaaaaa?!!!!!!
Lol.

Why naa Vesc. .?
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 4:15pm On Apr 22, 2010
Jus so we're clear spikey. . .
Are u sayin she is all smiles for vesc?

Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 6:35pm On Apr 22, 2010
justkunmi:

I saw the Sidibe girl on the red carpet and I was like. . . Haaaaaaaaaaaaa?!!!!!!
Lol.

That means you have not seen "Precious". She's not that bad looking sha. undecided
[size=4pt]Make we no go off-topic too much for this thread.[/size]
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 3:24pm On Apr 23, 2010
justkunmi:

Jus so we're clear spikey. . .
Are u sayin she is all smiles for vesc?

She's all smiles for him o. He's even sitting in one corner grinning at his feet because he can't stare directly at her. grin grin grin
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 4:13pm On Apr 23, 2010
@Spikey
Madam, we neva see your review for the film wey you vote.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:22am On Apr 25, 2010
Hmmm!! undecided
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 26, 2010
My review of Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Directing: A+
You can always tell when a movie is a Burton piece, and this is no exception. A true genius.

Acting: A
There is some brilliant acting in this movie. Mia Wasikowska plays a very convincing Alice whilst Johnny Depp (Mad Hatter) and Helena Bonham Carter (Red Queen) overact in a way that is fitting for their roles. They same can not be said for the role of Anne Hathaway (White Queen) however, whose theatrical hand movements and comic expressions made it appear as if she got lost on her way to theatre rehearsals.

Cinematography: A+
I was very impressed by the cinematography in the movie (like in all Tim Burton movies). The settings and visuals used are beautiful.

Editing: A+
The artificial colours in this movie are beautiful and the animation is top-notch.

Writing: B-
And this is where the movie falls for me. To me the whole essence of the Alice in Wonderland story revolves around the mystery of the world she enters. It serves as a form of escapism from everyday life. In the movie Wonderland was a real place and the movie was given a supernatural edge. This takes away from the original story in my opinion and puts the plot in line with several other movies with similar plots. It's no longer unique.

Overall rating: A
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:54am On Apr 26, 2010
@kaethar
We rate films here using percentage. So I'm assuming the "A" rating could be between 90 - 94%.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:55am On Apr 26, 2010
Wow. I absolutely loved the way Kaethar does reviewing. Wow. Like a real pro. I've not even read the review o but I like very much
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 1:27pm On Apr 26, 2010
Kaether
Thank you so much for that piece. .
I think we all should adopt that style. .
We list the categories and the ratings, . Then an overall rating. .
By this. .we would catch those who jus come in and say. ." The movie was nice. . I rate 100%" lol. .

Bur Kaether. .next time. Jus replace the A- and B+ s to percentages.
Nice one.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 1:32pm On Apr 26, 2010
@Justkunmi
Oga, where is your own rating for the movie? cheesy grin
To me, If people want to review using that style of rating no problem. But if you're the type that don't like long long reviews, I see no problem with just giving the rating.
And again, Nairaland's spam bots remove posts that are very long so try not to make the review too lengthy.
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 1:32am On Apr 27, 2010
Thanks everyone. cheesy I simply think it's easier writing reviews in categories. tongue And no problem! Next time I'll put it in percentages instead. cool
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:41am On Apr 27, 2010
That's the same way movies are reviewed on Yahoo! Movies. They grade story, acting, direction and visuals before giving the overall rating.

So, If I'm to use this system, my grading would look like this:
Story: B+

Acting: A-

Direction: A-

Visuals: A

Overall rating: A- (88%)
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:46am On Apr 27, 2010
OFF-TOPIC cheesy

CLASH OF THE TITANS (2010) My Rating

Story: C-

Acting: C

Direction: B-

Visuals: B+

Overall rating: C+
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:59am On Apr 27, 2010
Alice in wonderland. .

I wasn't really expecting much from this movie. I saw it only cos of Depp. Bur it didn't end up very bad. . I think the reason it didnn dissappoint was because I didn't put so much pressure on it being wickedly nice. .

Directing. . Burton is a fantaay director. This is his specialty. He did a good job bur there were times the story and the whole movie got boring. . Then later picked it self up.
Can't say much bad about the Directing. It a Burton directin. .

Acting. . The story wasn't new. The plot wasn't new. The directin wasn't new. So the only thing that gave the movie its verve was the individual acting. Twas good. Best acting was Helena Carter. She beat Depp. She was funny and evil. I think the role of a maniac suits her well. Anyone remember Bellatrix Lestrange in HarryPotter? Shd did a good job.
And obviously. .Depp followed.
And I was askin myself why Anna Hatthaway was in the movie in the first place?

Story. . Cliche

Plot. . Cliche.

I'll give the movie a 60% rating. It doesn't shoutout frm a list of fantasy movies. Or watwver the genre it belongs to.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 9:14am On Apr 27, 2010
@JK
To me, The Mad Hatter character was more entertaining than the Red Queen. Red Queen was evil alright, but all she does is shout. The Knaves of Heart played by Crispin Glover was good as well. And Barbara Windsor had the perfect voice for Dormouse.
Anne Hathaway as White Queen, hmm, was average sha.
The Futterwacken dance performed by The Mad Hatter at the end was done by Johnny Depp's stunt double David Bernal.

Alice in Wonderland (2010) is the highest grossing film of the year so far making $875.5 million worldwide so far.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:40am On Apr 27, 2010
Obi
All the Mad.Hatter did was say a lot of words. . . Don't get me wrong. Depp was spot on bur I jus saw the Red. Queen as a better character.
Remember the scene she shouted ."Pig". And a pink pig came running. .stopped at her feet. .rolled on its back exposing its belly.  The Queen then placed her feet on the pigs belly as a footstool and said. ." I like my feet on a warm pig's belly. .its good for my skin". Lol.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 10:38am On Apr 27, 2010
@JK
"I need a pig here" cheesy I remember that part. She's not a lover of animals that's for sure. Its a nice adventure movie for both kids and adults. It entertained me more than "Clash of the Titans (2010)". cheesy

Off-topic: I'm getting tired of all these yeye spammers wey full TV section. angry Dem go come with their fake sites to watch film wey neva come out yet. angry Abi dem think say we be mumu or what. Nonsense. tongue
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2010
Shall we wrap up this movie?

average rating. 80%
General comment. Not a bad movie to see. Tim Burton is the master fantasy director and the movie didn't disappoint. Nice acting.
See it if you haven't.

Next movie on Review?

I suggest My Sister's Keeper
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 4:03pm On Apr 29, 2010
I feel like yabbing some wack films. cheesy

I'll bring my own suggestions.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 2:31pm On May 03, 2010
You're in the wrong neck of the woods, Goldielux
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:54am On May 07, 2010
Where's everyone?

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (96) (Reply)

Photo Of Thin Tall Tony And Family / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / You're A Legend And Not Getting Any Younger If You Know These Movie Scenes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.