Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,539 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? (7414 Views)

What Church Did You Attend As A Child &how Did It Impact You While Growing Up? / THE RED SEA CROSSING. Did It Really Happen? [See pictures] / Why Do Christians Believe The Great Flood In Noah's Story Actually Happened? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by mcfynest(m): 6:29am On Sep 27, 2015
Hi guys, it's another Sunday and we pray it goes well and God's name be exalted through Jesus Christ our Lord.

the question I have here and want us to discuss is this:

How did Jesus feed over 5000 people with only 5 loaves of bread and two fishes Matthew 14:13-21?

did it actually happened or was it allegorical? It was written that "As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”

If it actually happened, where the disciples breaking each bread and it turned to many or what Raymond Brown, a well-known and highly esteemed Catholic scripture scholar was once asked this very question. He responded “I find no reason to dismiss the miraculous from the ministry of Jesus. Indeed, one of the oldest memories of him may have been that he did wondrous things — a memory that could have circulated not only among believers but among nonbelievers.” He goes on to explain that the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves was narrated in all four gospels suggesting, “Obviously the evidence for that miracle is of an earlier date.” This does not mean that miracles related only one time were “invented,” but that it “does allow greater possibility that this miracle story flowed from a later understanding about Jesus.”

if allegorical as the case may be, the bread will signify the word of God, what about the fish, what foes that signify? And what does this verse also signify they all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over

this question has been a debate among theologians and Christians in general.

I am asking this question as a discussion and not as an argument. The bible said

It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.

Happy Sunday Guys

sukkot

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 27, 2015
Of course not. .

1 Like

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by marshalcarter: 6:45am On Sep 27, 2015
Dnt knw cos I wanst there
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by menesheh(m): 6:47am On Sep 27, 2015
It is one of those magics in the bible, Christians nicknamed miracle.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by mcfynest(m): 6:48am On Sep 27, 2015
Freemanan:
Of course not. .

If it didn't happen, what then happened?
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by mcfynest(m): 6:49am On Sep 27, 2015
marshalcarter:
Dnt knw cos I wanst there

grin grin grin grin
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by mcfynest(m): 6:50am On Sep 27, 2015
menesheh:
It is one of those magics in the bible Christian nicknamed miracle.

Lol at MAGIC. Well God is not a magician(trickster). It either it happened or it is a code that we need to decipher
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 27, 2015
mcfynest:

If it didn't happen, what then happened?
It was like a parable the writer uses in conveying his Gospel.
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by menesheh(m): 7:01am On Sep 27, 2015
mcfynest:

Lol at MAGIC. Well God is not a magician(trickster). It either it happened or it is a code that we need to decipher

Magic:
1. The use of rituals or actions, especially based on supernatural or occult knowledge, to manipulate or obtain information about the natural world, especially when seen as falling outside the realm of religion; also the forces allegedly drawn on for such practices.

2.A specific ritual or procedure associated with supernatural magic or with mysticism; a spell

Miracle :
1.A wonderful event occurring in the physical world attributed to supernatural powers.
Many religious beliefs are based on miracles.
An example of a miracle associated with Muhammad is the splitting of the moon.

2.A fortunate outcome that prevails despite overwhelming odds against it.

You have to differentiate between the two.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by permsec: 7:08am On Sep 27, 2015
Is it not getting obvious that our faith is getting weaker by the break of every dawn.

Our Thomas nature should be on crime,politics et al instead of the scriptures.

1 Like

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by somez(m): 7:10am On Sep 27, 2015
See this cheap crippled anti Christ.
Freemanan:
Of course not. .
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Pidggin(f): 7:18am On Sep 27, 2015
@OP are u asking Christians or athiests? As a Christian my religion is based on faith, something an atheist will not have the privilege of understanding.

Of cause it really happened, there's no logic behind my belief rather there's faith that it did.
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by kevoh(m): 7:34am On Sep 27, 2015
So 5000 silly people decided to follow jesus without going with their own lunch pack except for the little boy. Clap for yourself!  angryThis can only happen in the era were there were no cameras, no twitter nor facebook, no Linda Ikeji  tongue, no smartphones, no James Randi, heck Criss Angel performs better magic tricks tongue and the only back up to the story is the bible. So little or none of this ''wonderful miracle'' is mentioned by the great rulers and historians except the bible. Yeah, spiderman and thor exist, check marvel comics  for proof!  undecided

On a realistic discussion level, I will go with it just being an allegory.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by englishmart(m): 7:36am On Sep 27, 2015
you should have asked it your being alive is actually real

2 Likes

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Alfred234(m): 7:50am On Sep 27, 2015
it never happened only gullible people will believe that crap

2 Likes

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by An2elect2(f): 8:00am On Sep 27, 2015
Pidggin:
@OP are u asking Christians or athiests? As a Christian my religion is based on faith, something an atheist will not have the privilege of understanding.

Of cause it really happened, there's no logic behind my belief rather there's faith that it did.

Dearie the Christian faith is logical and sometimes supersedes logic. It is not illogical for our God who created the world out of nothing to multiply into thousands few pieces of bread and fish.

3 Likes

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by johnydon22(m): 8:11am On Sep 27, 2015
Pidggin:
1st Op is a Christian. .
2nd we do understand faith far more than you do because we have once being there.
Faith simply means hold on to your convictions whether it is true or not...just believe it....Isn't that dishonesty?

See you have shown how faith is a dishonest position.

First you weren't there, only read it in a book.

2nd you recognize the tendency of the event happening is improbable and against reason or reality.

but then as someone with "Faith" you just have to believe it did..

Your Faith in anything doesn't make it true, it doesn't even make it probably true. .That you have faith that 5bread fed 5,000 and remained 12 baskets doesn't make this true.

That a muslim have faith that muhammed split the moon doesn't make it true..

So you see, you can have faith all you want, it has no effect on reality neither can it make a lie to become true..

Your faith simply means you believe something against reason, logic or coincide to reality...

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Pidggin(f): 8:13am On Sep 27, 2015
An2elect2:

Dearie the Christian faith is logical and sometimes supersedes logic. It is not illogical for our God who created the world out of nothing to multiply into thousands few pieces of bread and fish.

Thanks sis, I know it is logical, but in the first place atheist will contest the line of thought. They don't believe God exists talk less of creating the world. May I ask why you believe He created the world? I know your answer already and it is based on faith.
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Pidggin(f): 8:16am On Sep 27, 2015
johnydon22:
1st Op is a Christian. .
2nd we do understand faith far more than you do because we have once being there.
Faith simply means hold on to your convictions whether it is true or not...just believe it....Isn't that dishonesty?

See you have shown how faith is a dishonest position.

First you weren't there, only read it in a book.

2nd you recognize the tendency of the event happening is improbable and against reason or reality.

but then as someone with "Faith" you just have to believe it did..

Your Faith in anything doesn't make it true, it doesn't even make it probably true. .That you have faith that 5bread fed 5,000 and remained 12 baskets doesn't make this true.

That a muslim have faith that muhammed split the moon doesn't make it true..

So you see, you can have faith all you want, it has no effect on reality neither can it make a lie to become true..

Your faith simply means you believe something against reason, logic or coincide to reality...

I am on my way to church, will respond this later.
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by johnydon22(m): 8:22am On Sep 27, 2015
Pidggin:

I am on my way to church, will respond this later.
I will be waiting

2 Likes

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by An2elect2(f): 8:34am On Sep 27, 2015
Pidggin:

Thanks sis, I know it is logical, but in the first place atheist will contest the line of thought. They don't believe God exists talk less of creating the world
Not all are wise, but we must learn to tolerate the foolish among us dear. Deep down, we all know there is a God, some live all their lives suppressing the truth

Pidggin:
May I ask why you believe He created the world? I know your answer already and it is based on faith.

God created the world for His glory, His pleasure. If we understand this important fact, it will affect the way we see God and this world. Why should He not? Like Jonathan Edwards said, "There is no argument of the emptiness or deficiency of a fountain
that it is inclined to overflow”.

Okay, just checked again. I answered why He created the world, instead of why i believe He did.

Why i believe God created the world and not the world creating itself is because of all i see around me: I will be in denial if i say the earth, the sun and other planetary bodies, the brain, etc with their vast complexities came out of nothing! Look how they function? Even our brains follow logical laws, they don't operate anyhow and if our senses tell us from all indication there is a God we cant doubt! They only time we come to doubt, is when we begin to create our own logic, and that we be no logic at all because Logical rules are universal and we follow them consciously and subconsciously every second and you know the good thing, they don't lie.

I don't need faith to know a building was erected by some men, when i see a house, my common sense tells me someone was behind its construction...If i want to know him, its a different thing all together

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by malvisguy212: 8:59am On Sep 27, 2015
mcfynest:
Hi guys, it's another Sunday and we pray it goes well and God's name be exalted through Jesus Christ our Lord.

How did Jesus feed over 5000 people with only 5 loaves of bread and two fishes Matthew 14:13-21?

did it actually happened or was it allegorical? It was written that "As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”

If it actually happened, where the disciples breaking each bread and it turned to many or what Raymond Brown, a well-known and highly esteemed Catholic scripture scholar was once asked this very question. He responded “I find no reason to dismiss the miraculous from the ministry of Jesus. Indeed, one of the oldest memories of him may have been that he did wondrous things — a memory that could have circulated not only among believers but among nonbelievers.” He goes on to explain that the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves was narrated in all four gospels suggesting, “Obviously the evidence for that miracle is of an earlier date.” This does not mean that miracles related only one time were “invented,” but that it “does allow greater possibility that this miracle story flowed from a later understanding about Jesus.”

if allegorical as the case may be, the bread will signify the word of God, what about the fish, what foes that signify? And what does this verse also signify they all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over

I am asking this question as a discussion and not as an argument. The bible said

It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.

Happy Sunday Guys

sukkot
the bible clearly say it was a miraculous event and it did happened just like the turning of water into wine ,those who doubt the powerful work of God will continue to ask question even Doug they claimed to be a christians .unfortunately atheists don't believe in miracle so they will never accept the powerful work of God . The miracle forestshadow Moses event in the old testament. God (a spiritual being) created the world out of nothing, surly feeding of 5000 with few food is not a big deal.

2 Likes

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 27, 2015
This a very delicate topic.

Personally, I don't believe it happened. Because,

1, I wasn't there.
2, it cannot be replicated.
3, it is only mentioned in the bible.
4, no other source corroborates the story.

If I believe this, then by intellectual honesty, I must believe that Muhammad split the moon. Otherwise, I'm just being a hypocrite.
However,I cannot believe Muhammad split the moon. Hence, I must disregard this as well.

Perhaps the most shocking miracle Jesus performed was the healing of the bleeding woman. It was unconsciously done. And he said that some power had left him. Now, what does that mean? That Jesus is a power bank or what?

Anyway, let me not say much sha. lipsrsealed

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 27, 2015
An2elect2:
Not all are wise, but we must learn to tolerate the foolish among us dear. Deep down, we all know there is a God, some live all their lives suppressing the truth

God created the world for His glory, His pleasure. If we understand this important fact, it will affect the way we see God and this world. Why should He not? Like Jonathan Edwards said, "There is no argument of the emptiness or deficiency of a fountain
that it is inclined to overflow”.

Okay, just checked again. I answered why He created the world, instead of why i believe He did.

Why i believe God created the world and not the world creating itself is because of all i see around me: I will be in denial if i say the earth, the sun and other planetary bodies, the brain, etc with their vast complexities came out of nothing! Look how they function? Even our brains follow logical laws, they don't operate anyhow and if our senses tell us from all indication there is a God we cant doubt! They only time we come to doubt, is when we begin to create our own logic, and that we be no logic at all because Logical rules are universal and we follow them consciously and subconsciously every second and you know the good thing, they don't lie.

I don't need faith to know a building was erected by some men, when i see a house, my common sense tells me people someone was behind its construction...If i want to know him, its a different thing all together
so . . . let's agree that God created the earth.

Who created God?

1 Like

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by An2elect2(f): 9:16am On Sep 27, 2015
Teempakguy:
so . . . let's agree that God created the earth.

Who created God?

Does it make sense to you that God can be created undecided If so, who would call Him God? Maybe you should start by asking what God means and what attributes He must possess to be called God. sad
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 27, 2015
An2elect2:

Does it make sense to you that God can be created undecided If so, who would call Him God? Maybe you should start by asking what God means and what attributes He must possess to be called God. sad
Why is it difficult for you to believe that the earth was created by natural means, but is easy to believe that God came out of nothing?

The formation of the sun is very well known. In fact by 2025, we will finish completing our own mini-sun on earth.

The formation of the earth is also well known. It is a form of fractional distillation. In fact, unlike what genesis 1 claims, when earth was newly formed, it had no water at all. It was a completely dry ball. water . . . arrived later.

The life forms you see now, developed over billions of years.

It's all really easy to explain with science. And because of this, we have started replicating these phenomena.

What will you people then say when we recreate everything God is said to have created.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by hahn(m): 10:19am On Sep 27, 2015
Yes.

And I was there grin
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by sorextee(m): 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2015
No one noticed He spoke to the 5000 people, without a microphone.. u Christians are only concerned about the food part...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 27, 2015
mcfynest:

Happy Sunday Guys

sukkot

U can't preach to 5000 people without microphone.
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by sukkot: 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2015
ok first of all you need to loose that image of Jesus Christ you attached to the post because that is falsehood and it is perpetuating white supremacy. Jesus Christ is not a white man. the white images of Jesus Christ were painted by michelangelo and leonardo da vinci during the european rennaisance. so let me just throw that out there first lol. lets see if we can get this to frontpage

Lalasticlala frontpage material seeing as it is a sun day

1 Like

Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by sukkot: 1:49pm On Sep 27, 2015
[b]now lets get to the koko of the matter. you have to understand that the bible has astro-theological foundations meaning that everything in the universe including us humans are coded into the bible. now the verse about the bread is straight-forward because there is a verse in the bible which tells you bread means the word. now with the two fishes is a zodiacal representation of pisces which pisces represents wisdom knowledge and understanding of the celestial kind meaning ' the word '. so basically a multitude of people were preached to is what that story represents. now the success rate at this revival was so great that the converts went out to try to convert other people >>> ' the converts became fishers of men. i shall make you fishers of men '. the converts becoming fishers of men is what is presented as ' they all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over '. and what that means is that the word was multiplied because there were many more people spreading the word now. so that what this means >>> ' they all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over ' .

so the bible is a book that is not meant to be read literally. almost nothing in the bible is literal reading. there is a deeper meaning behind everything. [/b]
Re: Feeding Of The 5000, Did It Actually Happened? by kolajamesjnr(m): 2:05pm On Sep 27, 2015
sukkot:
[b]now lets get to the koko of the matter. you have to understand that the bible has astro-theological foundations meaning that everything in the universe including us humans are coded into the bible. now the verse about the bread is straight-forward because there is a verse in the bible which tells you bread means the word. now with the two fishes is a zodiacal representation of pisces which pisces represents wisdom knowledge and understanding of the celestial kind meaning ' the word '. so basically a multitude of people were preached to is what that story represents. now the success rate at this revival was so great that the converts went out to try to convert other people >>> ' the converts became fishers of men. i shall make you fishers of men '. the converts becoming fishers of men is what is presented as ' they all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over '. and what that means is that the word was multiplied because there were many more people spreading the word now. so that what this means >>> ' they all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over ' .

so the bible is a book that is not meant to be read literally. almost nothing in the bible is literal reading. there is a deeper meaning behind everything. [/b]
Wot is dis 1 saying

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Satan / Archangel Michael Is Not Jesus Christ / How To Discover Your Purpose, Or Destiny?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.