Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? (65533 Views)

Dad’s Incredible Reaction To News 14-year-old Son Is Not His / Mother Goes Unclad In Birthday Shoot For Her 4-Year-Old Son / If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by emmanuel596(m): 7:28pm On Sep 30, 2015
That money can equipt over 30 nigerian university libraries with good books and Internet connection I can't waste money like dis I rather donate to charity or build a church or free school
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by funkyglitz: 7:28pm On Sep 30, 2015
Evn doe I dey pluck d moni 4m tree 4 my backyard...my pikin go maintain lst position 2rout his/her life 4 mi 2 waste dat kin moni on a 14yrs old child

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by cap28: 7:29pm On Sep 30, 2015
Buying a 14 yr old an $8k phone is asking for trouble that child will grow to know the price .of every thing and the value of nothing

5 Likes

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by jomoh: 7:32pm On Sep 30, 2015
lampardizik:

Why will you not buy it for them,you have the money so why not

No matter how rich I am, I will never buy such for my kids.

Even if they are not careful they won't get to inherit the wealth.

Let them appreciate the fact that people are suffering and the fact that the live in comfort is not a birth right but a privilege. So if they go out on the street and meet not so privilege people, they will learn to respect them and appreciate what they have.

Let them also appreciate that you don't always get what you want. You have to sometimes work hard for what you want.

There's a very thin line between luxurious and superfluous.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Pennah(m): 7:32pm On Sep 30, 2015
lemme ask google
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Fhemmmy: 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2015
Yes, i will if the following conditions are met:
1. The child understands the value of money
2. The child deserves and has worked for it by being smart at school and doing chores in the house . . .basically show that he/she is responsible
3. Wont impact their studies
4. Affect their look at life or make them look down on other people
They are the reason why i work so hard and according to the OP, i i am super rich, yes, i will buy it for them
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Oluboonmi(f): 7:34pm On Sep 30, 2015
lampardizik:

Is buying them a phone spoiling them?
That's not just 'a phone'. It's a 24karat iPhone 6. Would you compare it to an Infinix Hot? A BIG no. I wouldn't buy it, I'd buy a smaller phone. The phone sef can attract kidnappers. #lol
Spoiling your children a bit is allowed sometimes, but they have to know that they don't always get what they want but can get what they need.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Rimamsirufun(m): 7:35pm On Sep 30, 2015
Seuncoded:
Owo Nii Koko

Chai. ...... #JESUS_SAVES

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by LydayBobo(m): 7:35pm On Sep 30, 2015
Why not if he's already a graduate
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by frisky2good(m): 7:36pm On Sep 30, 2015
When you have money you will know that what is reasonable to you is outrageaous to another person. Some parents gove their kids 1000 naira everyday in this country and tell them to manage it. Excluding transport to school o! 1k that is someone elses daily wage.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by thundafire: 7:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
lampardizik:

What about the impression you would be giving him/her at that age?

What about the sort of things his/her young mind can comprehend at that age?
shut up wen u no get mny u go dy wish everybody 2 reason like u get sense dia
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Humblesam(m): 7:43pm On Sep 30, 2015
simdam500:

Haha cheesy shebi is my money na sad

Lemme buy anything for my kid o wink
No way!!!
The money no even enter your hand finish,you don dey spend am for that cheap iphone 6 gold. Abaa!! grin grin grin
May God help us.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by tenderlady: 7:51pm On Sep 30, 2015
Very soon na private JET him go look for no be only I phone..............mtchewwww just passing tho' sad sad sad
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Sunbellar: 7:52pm On Sep 30, 2015
pet4ril:
Wallahi, I no go buy, I rather invest it on the needy...
liar!
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by 400billionman: 7:54pm On Sep 30, 2015
Kids should have phones at 21...

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by CallMeOO7(m): 8:01pm On Sep 30, 2015
LordReed:

Buying a 14year old a phone is not spoiling them but a gold plated iphone is spoiling them rotten. It is spoiling because you are totally skewering their sense of proportion, inundating their tastes with lifestyle choices they know nothing about sustaining. A 14year old can buy a phone for his/her self by doing a part time job or from saving up their allowances and cash gifts but can they reach $8000 that way? I strongly doubt that.

God bless your brain
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 30, 2015
For where? I will rather add it to his/her trustfund. If he/she can't use normal plastic phone case then he/she can go and sit down in one place
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by pet4ril(f): 8:04pm On Sep 30, 2015
Sunbellar:

liar!
sorry
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by hYpErbOi: 8:04pm On Sep 30, 2015
I'll rather open a children bank account and have the money fixed for his/her future rather than buy him/her a gold plated phone that might even get lost or stolen due to his/her carelessness of wanting to show-off among friends..
#Beware - 1year after he/she go dey start dey beg for diamond plated phone. Abi no be kids...? Always asking for more

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 30, 2015
marshalcarter:
Wait lemme search for ma future wife and ask her

#headin to the future

[size=50pt]LEMME ASK YOU MY OWN!

WHAT IF WHILE SEARCHING FOR YOUR FUTURE WIFE, YOU NOW FINALLY CAUGHT HER WITH ANOTHER MAN BOTH HAVING CARNAL KNOWLEDGE OF EACH OTHER? WHAT WILL YOU DO?
[/size]

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by gbenga4my(m): 8:04pm On Sep 30, 2015
pet4ril:
Wallahi, I no go buy, I rather invest it on the needy...
Kindly read well b4 u reply , u are extremely rich which means u can afford the phone , still have more than enuf to invest. Nd still have more than enuf in ur account.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by d33types: 8:07pm On Sep 30, 2015
some mature folks,hmm, LordReed and co.

we have some model moralists here..I was almost losing hope with some initial responses

3 Likes

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Greenage: 8:08pm On Sep 30, 2015
I can afford a carton of chocolate but I won't buy it at once for my child, I can afford a crate of soft drink but I won't buy it for my child at once. some stuffs are affordable but are not expedient. Much more than affordability, a child should earn what he or she has developed capacity to handle. Even with God, some prayers are not answered simply because your capacity is not yet developed to handle them.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 30, 2015
NO!

My children will get an age-appropriate amount of pocket money to learn to be economical and also to learn the value, not just the prices, of things.
My children will also learn that material things are not a priority in life and that other values are more important. And they will learn that happiness does not depend on luxuries. They will learn what truly matters.
My children will learn that in life you have to work for things and that it is necessary to save and why charity is important.

I consider the show-off Nigerian mentality snobbish but I do not blame people, this is what poverty does to people's characters. It is easy to spot nouveau riches.

'My kids have to wait until they are 13 to get a cell phone': Billionaire Bill Gates opens up about his strict parenting rules

Microsoft founder Bill Gates has opened up about being a parent, stating that 13 is an appropriate age for a child's first cell phone.
The 57-year-old, father-of-three revealed on the Today show that his children Jennifer and Rory were not allowed phones until their thirteenth birthday and his youngest daughter Phoebe is still waiting for one.
'We’ve chosen in our family that it’s 13 where you get a phone,' the self-made billionaire explained.

Asked if he keeps passwords to his son and daughters' email and Facebook accounts, Mr Gates said that he doesn’t for Jennifer, 16, who he describes as 'independent'.
He admitted that monitoring online activity is 'a very tricky issue for parents now.'
'They're always coming home, ''All the other kids have one... it's so embarrassing'
Despite their vast wealth Mr and Mrs Gates, who live in Lake Medina, just outside Seattle, Washington, have said they want to give their children as normal an upbringing as possible.
It was previously reported that their youngsters have to complete household chores and are given a modest amount of pocket money.
And in 2010 Mr Gates said that he intends to give most of his $61billlion fortune away rather than hand it down.
(...)'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2270869/Bill-Gates-Billionaire-opens-strict-parenting-rules.html#ixzz3nFbN0Pih
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I love this family!
Very intelligent people.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 30, 2015
freecocoa:
My kid will know better than to ask for such, him dey mad?angry

When some people don't have food to eat, he should work and use his own money to buy it, since he doesn't have sense.
lol,u have already exchanging words with d unborn child. Lol.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2015
emmanuel596:
That money can equipt over 30 nigerian university libraries with good books and Internet connection I can't waste money like dis I rather donate to charity or build a church or free school

RESPECT!
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by grandlexuz(m): 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2015
My nine year old daughter has an android phone. It is basically for her games and our communication since she lives in another town with her mum. I bought it for 17 thousand naira. To my dad that is spoiling a kid. The most expensive gadget he ever bought for me was a cane to whoop my ass..Lol However I think an 8000 $ phone is spoiling to its core. However my position might change if I was as rich as Bill Gates. I believe in giving the best to ones kid while instilling in them a sense of responsibility at thesame time.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Fxwarrior: 8:15pm On Sep 30, 2015
Decapo:
I'll gladly buy it because I have the money

I'll buy it for her when she's 18 years. She doesn't need it now.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2015
grandlexuz:
My nine year old daughter has an android phone. It is basically for her games and our communication since she lives in another town with her mum. I bought it for 17 thousand naira. To my dad that is spoiling a kid. The most expensive gadget he ever bought for me was a cane to whoop my ass..Lol However I think an 8000 $ phone is spoiling to its core. However my position might change if I was as rich as Bill Gates. I believe in giving the best to ones kid while instilling in them a sense of responsibility at thesame time.

Read my first on this thread. It is on this page and it is about Bill Gates.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by gbenga4my(m): 8:18pm On Sep 30, 2015
emmanuel596:
No insult intended , but you need a change of your mentality. In this case, you are extremely rich, u can afford to buy the phone, have more than enuf to invest, nd av more dan enuf to equip those library you wanna equip.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 30, 2015
gbenga4my:

No insult intended , but you need a change of your mentality. In this case, you are extremely rich, u can afford to buy the phone, have more than enuf to invest, nd av more dan enuf to equip those library you wanna equip.

It is rather you who has to change his mentality.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by holusormi(m): 8:20pm On Sep 30, 2015
I'll buy him/her an iphone6 or 7 or whichever one is the latest , but it won't be the gold plaited one... Wtf does he/she need gold plaited phone for ? Him wan use am do pendant ?? undecided ... If it were a gold jewelry , no probz (am also a gold lover) but a gold plaited phone ? I'll slap him for asking!! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

When A Man Forces His Wife For Sex, Is It A Rape? / My Quiet Peaceful Home And Reptiles!! / My Husband Paid N580K For My Bride Price But Refused To Help My Family Members.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.