Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,880 members, 7,828,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? (65575 Views)

Dad’s Incredible Reaction To News 14-year-old Son Is Not His / Mother Goes Unclad In Birthday Shoot For Her 4-Year-Old Son / If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 30, 2015
gbenga4my:
I pray the lord will change the story of this country, people on here comment based on the situation they find themselves not even looking at the brighter side. When you are rich, you gonna have a changed orientation. U buying the iphone wud be like an average person buying infinix hot. (Which is affordable).
In response to the question, I would gladly buy the phone
A 11year old boy I knw here in PH uses a 48k samsung phone.he earned it though by studying hard.he his in jss1 now.
When I have this money,wait how much is $8000?.....smh
People saying no here should come to rccg kings palace parish gra ph and see young children for yourself!
Trained,responsible yet exotic and expensive looking kids.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by gbenga4my(m): 9:43pm On Sep 30, 2015
Mindfulness:

Are you sure? I think it is rather the kind of thinking that you have that gives you away as a person who is from a poor country.

'My kids have to wait until they are 13 to get a cell phone': Billionaire Bill Gates opens up about his strict parenting rules

Microsoft founder Bill Gates has opened up about being a parent, stating that 13 is an appropriate age for a child's first cell phone.
The 57-year-old, father-of-three revealed on the Today show that his children Jennifer and Rory were not allowed phones until their thirteenth birthday and his youngest daughter Phoebe is still waiting for one.
'We’ve chosen in our family that it’s 13 where you get a phone,' the self-made billionaire explained.

Asked if he keeps passwords to his son and daughters' email and Facebook accounts, Mr Gates said that he doesn’t for Jennifer, 16, who he describes as 'independent'.
He admitted that monitoring online activity is 'a very tricky issue for parents now.'
'They're always coming home, ''All the other kids have one... it's so embarrassing'
Despite their vast wealth Mr and Mrs Gates, who live in Lake Medina, just outside Seattle, Washington, have said they want to give their children as normal an upbringing as possible.
It was previously reported that their youngsters have to complete household chores and are given a modest amount of pocket money.
And in 2010 Mr Gates said that he intends to give most of his $61billlion fortune away rather than hand it down.
(...)'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2270869/Bill-Gates-Billionaire-opens-strict-parenting-rules.html#ixzz3nFbN0Pih
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
I don't mean to be rude , but you comparing youself with another person(bill gate) before making decision. show a lot bout you.

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by aderonkedeborah(f): 9:45pm On Sep 30, 2015
marshalcarter:
Wait lemme search for ma future wife and ask her

#headin to the future
wishing u safe landing
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
gbenga4my:

I don't mean to be rude , but you comparing youself with another person(bill gate) before making decision. show a lot bout you.
Am surprised myself
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by benitwater(m): 9:49pm On Sep 30, 2015
lemme wait till then.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 30, 2015
lampardizik:

Is buying them a phone spoiling them?
When it cost $8000, yes!
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 30, 2015
jcmaiah:
When it cost $8000, yes!
For 8 Grand I would! #YES!
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by grandeoj09(m): 9:54pm On Sep 30, 2015
gold plated iPhone 6 at the age of 14 is not bad but don't be surprised when by age of 18 requesting for gold plated car.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Donemc(m): 9:57pm On Sep 30, 2015
I can't buy it for her..do u wnt my daughter to be kidnap in this country naija..
Guy bone dat yan ..
Or after buyn d phone for her i will start saving money to rescue her weneva she is kidnapd..
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Sammyblaq(m): 10:03pm On Sep 30, 2015
Even if I have it all, am not buying a phone that so costly for a 14yr old...Rather save it for his education.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by mubaarraq(m): 10:14pm On Sep 30, 2015
I will go to a book store and buy him book worth the amount. He will learn to make a better phone. Insha. Allah

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by IYANGBALI: 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2015
Una no fit buy for una pikin,but una fit buy am for una girlfriend,yeye people wey dem don take toto swear for

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by gbenga4my(m): 10:20pm On Sep 30, 2015
IHate9ja1:

A 11year old boy I knw here in PH uses a 48k samsung phone.he earned it though by studying hard.he his in jss1 now.
When I have this money,wait how much is $8000?.....smh
People saying no here should come to rccg kings palace parish gra ph and see young children for yourself!
Trained,responsible yet exotic and expensive looking kids.
You can't really blame people on here saying NO, background do tell on people reactions to things. But what pain most is that pple doesn't read to understand this days, pple read to reply. The op made it clear that in this case, u r extremely rich(its quite affordable) nd am surprised reading post on here saying dey wud prefare buying cheaper phone. When u r rich, the iphone 6 is extremely cheap. Another person sayz no because his parent doesn't brought him up that way. Am sure the father wud av done better if he can afford it in this op case. I think Nigerians should start thinking outside the box.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Lordwheez(m): 10:22pm On Sep 30, 2015
Abeg..... How e take different from the ordinary iPhone 6?
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by ghidefemi(m): 10:24pm On Sep 30, 2015
lampardizik:
You and your spouse are a wealthy couple and indeed very rich

While on a visit to a premium Apple store in Dubia,your 13 year old child asks for a 24 karat gold Iphone 6 ($8000) for his/her 14th year birthday

As a parent,would you get it for him/her?

Dose the fact that you are wealthy enough encourage you to buy such?

Yes?

Why?

No?

Why?

Give your reasons

*copied from BBCM

Would you buy it for your 14yr old child? Answer the question too
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by RexTramadol1: 10:30pm On Sep 30, 2015
Arungun omo!

A good saturday is felt on friday

That kind pikin na Gold digger!
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by zudozz: 10:41pm On Sep 30, 2015
YES.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by WailingWailer00(m): 10:54pm On Sep 30, 2015
What happened to PlayStation 4
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by lampardizik(m): 11:05pm On Sep 30, 2015
ghidefemi:

Would you buy it for your 14yr old child? Answer the question too

I won't

Why?

he is too young to handle that kind of asset

I would have love to assume that he is a big boy and all like many parents do,but it is too big a risk to take!

You have your answer
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by neocortex: 11:06pm On Sep 30, 2015
angieberry:
Shurrup! Look at this miserable, pathetic beggar! It's like you lack basic comprehension skills. Didn't you see the part where I implied that no matter how rich I become, I'd never get that expensive phone for my 14 yr old? It's foolish ones like you that'll do so and when your child becomes foolish in future, you'd wonder where you went wrong.

Haha , this is too harsh a response.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by AngieFan(f): 11:09pm On Sep 30, 2015
Some of the responses in this thread? Have you ever wondered why the rich stay rich i.e Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Dr Dre, Richard Branson etc and the Poor continue to be poor?

A gold Iphone that will probably be worth 50% less its value by the time the next release comes out in a year's time? N to the O!

Reasons

I am all about teaching my kids values in life that will take them further and help them to survive when Mummy and Daddy are no longer around to provide a safety net. Even if I had a 100 billion dollars I would seek to give my kids life lessons and set them up for life by spending my money sending them to the best educational institutions around the globe and other professional training that would put them in good standing among the top in the world. I would teach them the value of hard work, that life was not a bed of roses and that Mummy and Daddy's money did not automatically mean they had money. Mama may have, Papa may have but God bless the child that has his own.

An Iphone, a gold one at that would only seek to teach them that they didn't have to work hard to get anything in life. That everything would fall into the lap just because Mummy and Daddy had money. This is the reason why you see many children of former or deceased Governors who were stinking rich back in the day and able to give their kids a slice of heaven on earth now selling pure water in the market reminiscing about when life with Mummy and Daddy was sweet.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by lampardizik(m): 11:17pm On Sep 30, 2015
gbenga4my:

You can't really blame people on here saying NO, background do tell on people reactions to things. But what pain most is that pple doesn't read to understand this days, pple read to reply. The op made it clear that in this case, u r extremely rich(its quite affordable) nd am surprised reading post on here saying dey wud prefare buying cheaper phone. When u r rich, the iphone 6 is extremely cheap. Another person sayz no because his parent doesn't brought him up that way. Am sure the father wud av done better if he can afford it in this op case. I think Nigerians should start thinking outside the box.

As much as any responsible parent would want to give their children the best,money is not the only price to pay and should not be the only thing to be considered. The monetary price may be cheap,but is it the only price?

Then and in the long run?

1 Like

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 30, 2015
lampardizik:

Even if you and hubby are so wealthy?

Stop trying to justify this
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by AngieFan(f): 11:26pm On Sep 30, 2015
lampardizik:

As much as any responsible parent would want to give their children the best,money is not the only price to pay and should not be the only thing to be considered. The monetary price may be cheap,but is it the only price?

Then and in the long run?

This reminds me of a story that was in the papers a few years back in the UK. The Dad was extremely successful with a company which turned over £20 million a year. (6.1 billion Naira) His only son had already passed his driving test and so when he turned 18 he bought him the most expensive Porsche on the market. I think the car was worth around £100k which is about 31 million Naira. The first night the guy went out with the car, he crashed it and was killed instantly. Moral of the story is, Money can't buy good driving skills or make an immature 18 year boy a professional driver of a Porsche..In short money does not buy everything a kid needs to make the right choices in life.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by lampardizik(m): 11:34pm On Sep 30, 2015
AngieFan:

This reminds me of a story that was in the papers a few years back in the UK. The Dad was extremely successful with a company which turned over £20 million a year. (6.1 billion Naira) His only son had already passed his driving test and so when he turned 18 he bought him the most expensive Porsche on the market. I think the car was worth around £100k which is about 31 million Naira. The first night the guy went out with the car, he crashed it and was killed instantly. Moral of the story is, Money can't buy good driving skills or make an immature 18 year boy a professional driver of a Porsche..In short money does not buy everything a kid needs to make the right choices in life.

Rightly said,this also brings to mind Bobbi Brown,Whitney Houston's daughter who was more or less overwhelmed by the fortune her mom had left her and we all know the story
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by lampardizik(m): 11:36pm On Sep 30, 2015
neoapocalypse:

Stop trying to justify this

I'm not justifying anything

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion so I'm just trying to be sure where you stand
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by lampardizik(m): 11:37pm On Sep 30, 2015
ewizard1:
No, its not Spoiling then, it's Decaying them.

Loltongue
You try
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by AngieFan(f): 11:40pm On Sep 30, 2015
lampardizik:

Rightly said,this also brings to mind Bobbi Brown,Whitney Houston's daughter who was more or less overwhelmed by the fortune her mom had left her and we all know the story

Bobbi Kristina is a very sad and apt example of how giving child too much, too soon can go terribly wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by lampardizik(m): 11:40pm On Sep 30, 2015
thundafire:

shut up wen u no get mny u go dy wish everybody 2 reason like u get sense dia

These are the kinds of things buying an immature kid things that are way outta their league will cause
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
MrImole:
No be because of my kids I dey work?

God bless iya Akin my second wife.
so the day ur kid says " daddy, I want every penny in you account because I need it to take my gf shopping and to throw a party, you can keep some to sustain you and mother but I want the rest now...." I guess you will smile and write him a cheaque?? After all..... You are working for your kids..... Fine.... You are working to give ur kids a comfortable life style but such an expensive fne at age 13? What are you teaching him or her? Even children of the exuberantly wealthy in developed countries do vacation jobs to put Money in their pockets because their parents won't spoil them rotten ..... Nigerians need to know that continuing such trends of "born in royalty with golden tissue sticking out their a55es is bound to ruin the next Generation........ Learn to teach your kids how to manage what they have and don't go spoiling them by giving them every thing they ask for because d day u CNT give them sth they want, you might get a heart attack.
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by lampardizik(m): 11:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
jomoh:

No matter how rich I am, I will never buy such for my kids.

Even if they are not careful they won't get to inherit the wealth.

Let them appreciate the fact that people are suffering and the fact that the live in comfort is not a birth right but a privilege. So if they go out on the street and meet not so privilege people, they will learn to respect them and appreciate what they have.

Let them also appreciate that you don't always get what you want. You have to sometimes work hard for what you want.

There's a very thin line between luxurious and superfluous.

The future is not yet lost after all
Re: Would You Buy This For Your 14 Year Old Son/daughter? by NemzySeries(m): 11:43pm On Sep 30, 2015
yeye pikin.....so he can not ask 4 a private library abi ?....ne b only gold plated iphone 6 na osun weaved koboko I go buy am

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Caucasian Woman's Traditional Way Of Serving Nigerian Husband Food Causes Stir / My Mother-in-law Told Me Not To Touch My Wife / Marrying A Masturbator!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.