Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,705 members, 7,813,337 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

The Best Striker In The World - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Best Striker In The World (9264 Views)

Messi Not Listed Among Best Striker In Europe! Why? / Obafemi Martins: Most Efficient Striker In The Bundesliga / Best Striker In Europe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Striker In The World by RuuDie(m): 1:23pm On Jun 02, 2009
eerh. . . . .  i believe the topic is "the best striker in the world". . . . . . . what has that got to do with origins, roots and branches

grin grin grin
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 5:43pm On Jun 02, 2009
We've all known Sauron to be of the silly pedantic variety but everytime he outdoes himself! Deeming 50 open goals in one's first 84 appearances as poor speaks a lot about your state of mental health. How many current Utd players achieved that? NONE. But oh! They are all poor players by that definition tongue

By the way, do you sit all day banging at your keyboard and googling up history and stats? Tragic.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 6:24pm On Jun 02, 2009
tocdee:

We've all known Sauron to be of the silly pedantic variety but everytime he outdoes himself! Deeming 50 open goals in one's first 84 appearances as poor speaks a lot about your state of mental health. How many current Utd players achieved that? NONE. But oh! They are all poor players by that definition tongue

You are a miserable sod.
Man Utd are a quality side and thus they have always been blessed with quality players/strikers.
Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored his first 50 goals in 72 matches for Man Utd(how the Bleep am i supposed to be impressed with Nando's 50 goals in 84 appearances for Liverpool)? If your father owns a Bugatti Veyron, BMW X5 will be shit to you. grin

By the way, do you sit all day banging at your keyboard and googling up history and stats? Tragic.

Do i have to google history and stats to put social reprobates like you in their place?
The difference between you and me is simple: I am knowledgeable and you are an ignoramus.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

You are a miserable sod.
Man Utd are a quality side and thus they have always been blessed with quality players/strikers.
Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored his first 50 goals in 72 matches for Man Utd(how the Bleep am i supposed to be impressed with Nando's 50 goals in 84 appearances for Liverpool)? If your father owns a Bugatti Veyron, BMW X5 will be shit to you. grin

Do i have to google history and stats to put social reprobates like you in their place?
The difference between you and me is simple: I am knowledgeable and you are an ignoramus.

mr sauron. van nistelrooy is a good striker no doubts, but don't forget that torres missed half of liverpools season thats why he fell short of van nisterooy. anyways, i'd say for consistency this season, its eto, but overall its torres. that guy is lethal. some of his goals are just out of this world.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 7:49pm On Jun 02, 2009
al-qaeda:

mr sauron. van nistelrooy is a good striker no doubts, but don't forget that torres missed half of liverpools season thats why he fell short of van nisterooy.

The line of argument was. . . .How many football appearances did it take Torres to score 50 goals in comparison to Ruud.
Of course, the matches Torres did miss cannot count.
Ruud scored 50 goals in 72 appearances, Torres scored 50 goals in 84 appearances.

anyways, i'd say for consistency this season, its eto, but overall its torres. that guy is lethal. some of his goals are just out of this world.

How lethal is Fernando Torres?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 8:41pm On Jun 02, 2009
Ruud took penalties. Torres does not. Take away the penalties and a lot of these guys do not have amazing stats. Torres does not take penalties, does not take free kicks, usually plays alone up front,and bangs them in. The guy will control a hard long pass, leave his defender for dead, and create a clear scoring chance in one touch. YOu watch the replays and think to yourself "who the fukc does this guy think he is?!?!" Torres is insanely good. Ruud can't try the stuff Torres does. . . I think it is sad that people don't want to acknowledge just how good Torres is. . it is just criminal
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 02, 2009
Krayola:

Ruud took penalties. Torres does not. Take away the penalties and a lot of these guys do not have amazing stats. Torres does not take penalties, does not take free kicks, usually plays alone up front,and bangs them in. The guy will control a hard long pass, leave his defender for dead, and create a clear scoring chance in one touch. YOu watch the replays and think to yourself "who the fukc does this guy think he is?!?!" Torres is insanely good. Ruud can't try the stuff Torres does. . . I think it is sad that people don't want to acknowledge just how good Torres is. . it is just criminal
my bro, just forget. you can't argue with manure fans. don't waste your time. just ask them, where were they when everyone was in rome.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 9:04pm On Jun 02, 2009
Krayola:

Ruud took penalties. Torres does not. Take away the penalties and a lot of these guys do not have amazing stats. Torres does not take penalties, does not take free kicks, usually plays alone up front,and bangs them in.

I have asked you to tell me which is more difficult. . . .
Scoring a penalty from 12 yards with a keeper in the middle of the goal-post or scoring tap-ins from 2 yards in the empty nets.
Torres does not take penalties and freekicks? It simply means his ability is a tad limited.

The guy will control a hard long pass, leave his defender for dead, and create a clear scoring chance in one touch. YOu watch the replays and think to yourself "who the fukc does this guy think he is?!?!"

There are many strikers who can do that.
Berbatov's first touch is 50000000000000000 miles better than what Nando does.
Ma point is. . . . . .Ruud scored loads of goals. He made an impact when he joined the Premiership.
Won UCL golden boot in his first season, ran Thierry Henry close on the scorer's charts and have won 3 golden boots in 3 domestic leagues.
Of course, Ruud is better than Torres and he played as a lone striker for Man Utd as well.

Torres is insanely good. Ruud can't try the stuff Torres does. . . I think it is sad that people don't want to acknowledge just how good Torres is. . it is just criminal

3 Champions League golden boots in 5 seasons for Man Utd.
3 golden boots in Eredivisie, Premiership and La Liga.
44 goals in 2002/3 season for Man Utd and the 14 goals he scored in the Champions League that season is still the highest till date.
Torres is an apprentice to Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

Scoring a penalty from 12 yards with a keeper in the middle of the goal-post or scoring tap-ins from 2 yards in the empty nets.
Torres does not take penalties and freekicks? It simply means his ability is a tad limited.

Ma point is. . . . . .Ruud scored loads of goals. He made an impact when he joined the Premiership.
Won UCL golden boot in his first season, ran Thierry Henry close on the scorer's charts and have won 3 golden boots in 3 domestic leagues.
Of course, Ruud is better than Torres and he played as a lone striker for Man Utd as well.

3 Champions League golden boots in 5 seasons for Man Utd.
3 golden boots in Eredivisie, Premiership and La Liga.
44 goals in 2002/3 season for Man Utd and the 14 goals he scored in the Champions League that season is still the highest till date.
Torres is an apprentice to Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
its like you missed road. the topic is about the most consistent striker currently playing not the most consistent striker living in the cooler. anyways, i leave you to your opinion.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 9:30pm On Jun 02, 2009
al-qaeda:

its like you missed road. the topic is about the most consistent striker currently playing not the most consistent striker living in the cooler. anyways, i leave you to your opinion.

What is consistent about Torres??
33 goals last season, 17 goals this season, 18 goals for Spain in 61 appearances.
Are you sure u know the meaning of "consistency"?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 9:30pm On Jun 02, 2009
haha, Sauron has somehow managed to convince himself that by replying a post, regardless of how little sense he makes, he has succeeded in making his point. You, my friend, are a class act.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 9:41pm On Jun 02, 2009
Krayola:

haha, Sauron has somehow managed to convince himself that by replying a post, regardless of how little sense he makes, he has succeeded in making his point. You, my friend, are a class act.

These are hard facts that are not far-fetched.
I am not impressed by Nando's goal haul cos i have been spoilt by quality strikers in Man Utd.
Until someone break Ruud's records or at least stay at par with him, i wouldn't give a rat's ass.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 10:25pm On Jun 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

For someone who thinks he's got stats on his scalp, that was quite laughable. Torres was the principal spot kick taker for Athletico BUT at Liverpool, Gerrard is supreme in that department. Of course you won't remember (typically) that Spain's first goal of Germany 2006 (vs tunisia) was a fantastic Torres' penalty. grin

Berbatov?!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin is he even a footballer?

By the way, I've just downloaded that barca vs utd match and LAWD! the mancs looked very comical!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 10:35pm On Jun 02, 2009
tocdee:

For someone who thinks he's got stats on his scalp, that was quite laughable. Torres was the principal spot kick taker for Athletico BUT at Liverpool, Gerrard is supreme in that department. Of course you won't remember (typically) that Spain's first goal of Germany 2006 (vs tunisia) was a fantastic Torres' penalty. grin

U need glasses.
Look at the sentence you put in BOLD. . . . . .I asked a question.
Didn't u see the question mark?? The dude was trying to defend Nando's relatively low goal haul by saying he doesn't play penalties.

Berbatov?!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin is he even a footballer?

Dimitar??
41 goals in 67 appearances for Bulgaria?
He is a messiah.

By the way, I've just downloaded that barca vs utd match and LAWD! the mancs looked very comical!

I downloaded Liverpool V Chelsea at Anfield last night too.
It was a show of shame. grin cheesy
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 10:40pm On Jun 02, 2009
The problem with stats is that they never tell the whole story. .

this is an example,  Lampard vs Iniesta,  who is the better midfielder. If you look at this thru the lens of stats alone, Iniesta does not have a case. His name wouldn't even come up. But all you have to do is watch both players in action, and you can see that they are both very talented players that do different things very well,  Stats paint one picture, but the reality is different.

You come here and say Torres has had x appearances,  how many of those games did he actually start? Till about two or three years ago Raul and I think Morientes were Spain's main strikers. Torres was a bench warmer that made little to no impact (sub appearances here and there). what then do those numbers you post mean? Sauron, the arguments you make will work against idiots that do not know anything about anything. But against informed people all you do is advertise your cluelessness.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by jalether(m): 10:48pm On Jun 02, 2009
these are my top three strikers respectively

Villa- torres- Forlan, even though i ve to admit its an extremely close call between Villa and Torres

if anyone says Torres is better, i can honestly respect that cos he is class, but Villa is just doing it 4 me
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 10:56pm On Jun 02, 2009
Krayola:

Sauron, the arguments you make will work against idiots that do not know anything about anything. But against informed people all you do is advertise your cluelessness.

wink

~Sauron~:

I downloaded Liverpool V Chelsea at Anfield last night too.
It was a show of shame. grin cheesy

Oh! Did you download any of the Manc Vs Liverpool matches too?  grin grin I'd love to have a copy!! I love the scene where Vidic had this twisted smile when Torres ran circles around him! wink
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 11:18pm On Jun 02, 2009
@ Sauron

Fernando Torres' international stats.

2003-2004. 1 start
2004-2005 3 starts 6 sub appearances, 1 goal
2005-2006 2 starts 1 sub, 1 goal
2006-2007 8 starts 3 sub, 4 goals
2007-2008 1 start, 1 sub
2008-2009 18 starts, 1 sub, 5 goals, 2 assists
2009-2010  1 start.

David Villa's International stats

2006-2007 9 starts 2 subs, 5 goals
2007-2008 2 starts
2008-2009 22 starts 6 subs, 19 goals
2009-2010 1 start, 1 goal

Now in the Euros and in qualifying, Torres played behind Villa (and does pretty much whenever they play together). .  and was instrumental in most of Villas goals. Creating space, destabilizing the defense,  he played his role to perfection.(Torres and Villa started together in most of the games where Villa racked up his numbers). You are using stats to compare two strikers that play on the same team, are on the pitch together, when one's role is totally different from the other. What does that say about your understanding of this game we call football?

I can't say for sure but I doubt Torres has ever played as an out and out striker for Spain.   he plays in a supporting role.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 11:32pm On Jun 02, 2009
jalether:

these are my top three strikers respectively

Villa- torres- Forlan, even though i ve to admit its an extremely close call between Villa and Torres

if anyone says Torres is better, i can honestly respect that cos he is class, but Villa is just doing it 4 me

Exactly. . . It is debatable. They both have strong cases to make. But Sauron is trying to claim they are miles apart. I don't understand how he plans to prove that.

I must admit though, Sauron is a necessary evil. He make this forum tick.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by davidif: 11:44pm On Jun 02, 2009
As much as i hate to say it, Samuel Eto'o is the world's best striker followed very very closely by El Nino himself, Fernando Torres.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 6:30am On Jun 03, 2009
Name a Madrid-born player playing in Barcelona or name a Catalonian playing in Real Madrid.

Buncha illiterates!!!

Sharon read up on Ricardo Zamora, Josep Samitier, Miguel Soler and Quique Estebaranz I have told you several times you are an Illiterate when it comes to European soccer
Re: The Best Striker In The World by RuuDie(m): 9:06am On Jun 03, 2009
davidif:

As much as i hate to say it, Samuel Eto'o is the world's best striker followed very very closely by El Nino himself, Fernando Torres.

God bless you. . . . . when d'em hala about Torres, Villa & Roger Milla finish; them go settle for we candidate!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Shyn: 10:36am On Jun 03, 2009
Sentiment apart dis Tores guy is a bomb.He can displace any defnda in d world whoeva u ar.Wat he did 2 Vidic @ Old trafrd ws 2 much.I am a Man U fan,bt sntment apart,Tores is 2 tght.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by binhozie(m): 11:35am On Jun 03, 2009
pls vidic arent criteria for judging a good striker any body with speed can zoom past him
nasri against arsenal c ronaldo against portugal kaka against ac milan eto against barca th e guy is only good for slow nd muscular fellas
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Shyn: 11:54am On Jun 03, 2009
I dnt evn undstnd hw smbdy dat cals himself a futbal fan can b mention'g Drogba's name hia.D type of goals he misses evn my grandmum wnt miss dem.I dnt knw hw Chelsea fans feels abt him.Tores is a bomb.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 2:44pm On Jun 03, 2009
Sentiment apart dis Tores guy is a bomb.He can displace any defnda in d world whoeva u ar.Wat he did 2 Vidic @ Old trafrd ws 2 much.I am a Man U fan,bt sntment apart,Tores is 2 tght.

Did you see what Etoo did to the same Vidic in Rome?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 4:39pm On Jun 03, 2009
dayokanu:

Sharon read up on Ricardo Zamora, Josep Samitier, Miguel Soler and Quique Estebaranz I have told you several times you are an Illiterate when it comes to European soccer

I have told you several times you were born with a penis in your brain.
Ricardo Zamora?? Was that before or after General Franco's dictatorship?
U had to go as far back as World War I to cite an example?? grin grin grin grin grin
Give it up, you are not fit for purpose.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 4:57pm On Jun 03, 2009
Let's put it this way;
1. EVERY MANAGER IN THE WORLD WOULD WANT TO HAVE EITHER TORRES OR VILLA IN HIS TEAM (WHO CARES WHAT little sauron SAYS ABOUT TORRES ANYWAY?).

2. They belong to a class where the world expects them to score whenever they take to the pitch

3. Aerially, Torres is in a class of his own. Villa has better close ball control.

4. Torres WILL achieve legend status since age is on his side.

5. Eto is an excellent striker. Third best for me.

6. The above points are just my opinion.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 5:07pm On Jun 03, 2009
tocdee:

Let's put it this way;
1. EVERY MANAGER IN THE WORLD WOULD WANT TO HAVE EITHER TORRES OR VILLA IN HIS TEAM (WHO CARES WHAT little sauron SAYS ABOUT TORRES ANYWAY?).
2. They belong to a class where the world expects them to score whenever they take to the pitch

No one has denied Torres is world class. Of course, he is up there with the best strikers in the world.

3. Aerially, Torres is in a class of his own. Villa has better close ball control.

Villa works harder, tackles more, more clinical and can lead a line on his own.
Aerially?? Torres needs to beat Miroslav Klose, Cristiano Ronaldo and Vidic.

4. Torres WILL achieve legend status since age is on his side.

Time is not on his side.
He needs to win a title fast and Liverpool are not heading in that direction at all.
No single title in 2 seasons for Torres. grin

5. Eto is an excellent striker. Third best for me.

Torres and Eto'o?? Very close.
I think Eto'o edges it(just)!!

6. The above points are just my opinion.

Your opinion counts when you make sense but that is as rare as seeing the full moon.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 6:53pm On Jun 03, 2009
~Sauron~:

Villa works harder, tackles more, more clinical and can lead a line on his own.

How can you say that Villa works harder? Do you even watch Torres play for Spain? He does all the hard work behind Villa while the latter does the scoring. And Torres is much better at leading the line in a sole role. Villa DOES NOT play as a lone-striker for Spain BUT Torres did an excellent job there against Germany at the Euro finals when villa got injured.

~Sauron~:

Aerially?? Torres needs to beat Miroslav Klose, Cristiano Ronaldo and Vidic.

By 'beat' you mean outscore them with headers ,don't you? Because 6 out of his 13 league goals this season were headers. Plus he scored a lot more in the same way last season. How many did Ronaldo score with his conceited head? Klose is special aerially but even he is going a bit downhill. And Vidic? LOL!!!

~Sauron~:

He needs to win a title fast and Liverpool are not heading in that direction at all.

I found this line quite amusing. You can't resist, can you? Liverpool improved this season in leaps and bounds WHILE United, Chelsea and Arsenal actually didn't improve on last season's perfomance. Also they broke so many of their club records taking maximum points off Utd and Chelsea (home and away), had the least losses (2), scored the highest number of goals in the league with Gerrard and Torres playing together just 13 times while inflicting Utd's greatest EPL defeat at Old Trafford! I call that progress.

A win against Wigan and Stoke instead of draws would have seen them lift the trophy. NOW THAT"S PROGRESS. cool

PS- The average age of the Liverpool's first team is lower than that at Utd(And this includes managerial staff ages). So there's time, don't you think?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 7:05pm On Jun 03, 2009
tocdee:

How can you say that Villa works harder? Do you even watch Torres play for Spain? He does all the hard work behind Villa while the latter does the scoring. And Torres is much better at leading the line in a sole role. Villa DOES NOT play as a lone-striker for Spain BUT Torres did an excellent job there against Germany at the Euro finals when villa got injured.

Villa works harder than Torres.
Torres can be a liability sometimes. . . . .The honest Liverpool fans will tell you Torres sulks when things don't go his way.
Villa is a warrior. He has the grit of Rooney and the clinical finishing of Eduardo.
Torres did a job in Euro finals because Villa got injured. Had the reverse been the case, Villa woulda done the same.

By 'beat' you mean outscore them with headers ,don't you? Because 7 out of his 13 league goals this season were headers. Plus he scored a lot more in the same way last season. How many did Ronaldo score with his conceited head? Klose is special aerially but even he is going a bit downhill. And Vidic? LOL!!!

Ronaldo is not an out-n-out striker.
You can tell the aerial ability of a player when he gets into dangerous positions once in a while.
I saw Ronaldo rose like the flight of the phoenix against Roma last season to power home a fierce header. 20 Torres' couldn't have done that.
Vidic?? No one attacks the ball like he does. Jose Mourinho would tell you one or two things about Vida.

I found this line quite amusing. You can't resist, can you? Liverpool improved this season in leaps and bounds WHILE United, Chelsea and Arsenal actually didn't improve on last season's perfomance. Also they broke so many of their club records taking maximum points off Utd and Chelsea (home and away), had the least losses (2), scored the highest number of goals in the league with Gerrard and Torres playing together just 13 times while inflicting Utd's greatest EPL defeat at Old Trafford! I call that progress.

How did Liverpool improve?
In 2004/5, they won the Champions League. . . . .A season later, they won the FA cup and the Community shield.
Since then, they have not won a single title(not even the Carling cup) and you say they have improved.
The number of points means shyte. . . . .Stop buying the gibberish the media puts on your table.

Liverpool broke records? Which records? Their own records or what?
Man Utd won the highest number of league games, copped the highest number of points.
United had the best home record winning 16 of their 19 league games at OT(dropping just 7 points out of 57 available).
We can spin records inside out. The biggest record is winning a title and leaving your rivals in pandemonium and United have done that.

A win against Wigan and Stoke instead of draws would have seen them lift the trophy. NOW THAT"S PROGRESS. cool

Just like a win against Newcastle(opening day of the season) and a win against Spurs at WHL woulda put United so far ahead Liverpool wouldn't have been in the race in the first place.
All those silly talks don't hold water. You talk like only Liverpool had their share of bad luck.
Every football fan would tell you 4 or 5 goals that were wrongly disallowed.

PS- The average age of the Liverpool's first team is lower than that at Utd(And this includes managerial staff ages). So there's time, don't you think?

The average age? Are you sure.
Are you aware Rafa Benitez has 62 players in his kitty at Liverpool and the way he shops and bins, that average age stat will change dramatically before August. grin grin grin
Re: The Best Striker In The World by funnypal(m): 7:09pm On Jun 03, 2009
Torres or no other. he is too much!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Glo-CAF Award To Hold In Lagos On January 8 / Iheanacho, Lookman Among Leicester Players Who Tested Positive For COVID-19 / Tricks On How To Win Football Betting In Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.