Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,740 members, 7,813,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

The Best Striker In The World - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Best Striker In The World (9267 Views)

Messi Not Listed Among Best Striker In Europe! Why? / Obafemi Martins: Most Efficient Striker In The Bundesliga / Best Striker In Europe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
FERNANDO TORRES !!!!!!
Eto is good, no doubt, and Villa is better, But TORRES is simply put, a beauty with the ball, a nightmare for any defence! Just in case you are still in doubt, you can confirm this from the Madrid, ManU, and just recently, the New Zealand defence!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 2:22pm On Jun 15, 2009
Apart from the Fifa World Player of The Year Awards.

How do you mean? Cos Etoo was top 3 in the world some years back Torres hasnt made that.

Sure, he was older (African age too Grin), and you make it sound like he beat Torres to the trophy on his own! Like nadal vs Federer. Grin By that reasoning, Utaka has won the FA cup so he's better than Torres.

Etoo won a trophy with his small club what did Torres do with his small club?

That's a terrible statement. Torres has been at Liverpool for only two years so ALL comparison should be made with this time-frame in mind. Torres scored 50 goals in this time, Eto?

Etoo has 54 goals in the same time frame. So??

Imagine Spain being moved to CAF, then think of all the goals Torres and Villa would score in a single tournament!! My point is this; I can score against countries like Sudan, Zambia, Libya etc. But scoring against Germany, Czech, Italy,etc? That's a different proposition. So again, poor argument.
If Etoo can score goals against Real Madrid, Brazil, Man Utd Chelsea, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, AC Milan so why wont he score in UEFA
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 2:29pm On Jun 15, 2009
Cristiano Ronaldo is better as a striker than Nando Torres.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by khanye(m): 2:42pm On Jun 15, 2009
Eto'o earned his first cap with Cameroon at age 14 on 9 March 1996, in a 5–0 friendly loss to Costa Rica. In 1998, he was the youngest participant in the 1998 FIFA World Cup when he appeared in a 3–0 group stage loss to Italy on 17 June 1998, at the age of 17 years and three months. Eto'o scored his sole goal of the 2002 World Cup when he netted the game-winner against Saudi Arabia during the group stage on 6 June 2002, which was Cameroon's only win of the competition.

Eto'o was a part of the squads that won the 2000 and 2002 Africa Cup of Nations, and was a gold medalist at the 2000 Summer Olympics. At the 2003 FIFA Confederations Cup, in which Cameroon finished as runners-up, he scored his only goal in a 1–0 group-stage upset of Brazil on 19 June

69Goals in 163App. For Mallorca 1999-2004
130Goals in 200App. For barca 2004-2009

David Villa Career Total: 204goals in 407App. (La Liga)
Torres Career Total: 141goals in 327App. (La liga and EPL)
Eto Career Total: 203goals in 399App. (La Liga)
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 2:52pm On Jun 15, 2009
khanye:

Considering the fact that Villa is surrounded by less-talented playes unlike Eto'o(Barca) and Torres(Liverpool), Villa is the best.
This coupled with his international goal record makes him the most feared striker in the whole of Europe.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 3:24pm On Jun 15, 2009
khanye:

If u want to go that far back in time and what not, then players like Thierry Henry, Raul Gonzalez, Ruud, etc would be above eto'o. And those numbers are meaningless without context.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 15, 2009
We have been chanting Eto'o since Sydney 2000 and he is still relevant now! that should tell you something
I also wonder o. Eto'o has been the only recurring name in 'World's Best Strikers' arguments since 2004. In 2004-2006, the argument was Eto'o Vs Shevchenko Vs Henry, who's world's best?. Later he was compared with the likes of Toni, Drogba on same subject, and now with Villa and Torres. That is what is called consistency.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by khanye(m): 3:49pm On Jun 15, 2009
Krayola:

If u want to go that far back in time and what not, then players like Thierry Henry, Raul Gonzalez, Ruud, etc would be above eto'o. And those numbers are meaningless without context.

Where are these players now
Eto'o have been compared with all sort of strikers
the dude deserve some respect!
I got those figures from Wikipedia, you can check for ur self also

Jarus:

I also wonder o. Eto'o has been the only recurring name in 'World's Best Strikers' arguments since 2004. In 2004-2006, the argument was Eto'o Vs Shevchenko Vs Henry, who's world's best?. Later he was compared with the likes of Toni, Drogba on same subject, and now with Villa and Torres. That is what is called consistency.

The guy dey try jare
Re: The Best Striker In The World by jalether(m): 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2009
You guys are missing the essence of the argument,  i created this topic in 2009

which means who is currently the best striker in the world, i.e the season ended 08/09, so forget all that stats

dating back since Jesus was born
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 7:38pm On Jun 15, 2009
jalether:

You guys are missing the essence of the argument,  i created this topic in 2009

which means who is currently the best striker in the world, i.e the season ended 08/09, so forget all that stats

dating back since Jesus was born

God bless you man. I was about to add Yekini to that list!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 7:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
haha
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 7:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
Jarus:

Consistency my foot!!!

Eto'o has been playing for a BIG TEAM since 2004.
A player as great as Eto'o playing around Messi, Ronaldinho, Deco and Henry in a team as great as Barca would have his name recurring.
It's not rocket science.  

In these years, Torres was in Athletico Madrid(i doubt they played in the UCL when Torres was there).
Villa was in Valencia playing with chumps.
If u replace Eto'o with Torres or Villa since 2004, their names would come up every time as well.
Consistency cannot apply in this case, i beg to differ.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 9:54pm On Jun 15, 2009
~Sauron~:

Consistency my foot!!!

Eto'o has been playing for a BIG TEAM since 2004.
A player as great as Eto'o playing around Messi, Ronaldinho, Deco and Henry in a team as great as Barca would have his name recurring.
It's not rocket science.  

In these years, Torres was in Athletico Madrid(i doubt they played in the UCL when Torres was there).
Villa was in Valencia playing with chumps.
If u replace Eto'o with Torres or Villa since 2004, their names would come up every time as well.
Consistency cannot apply in this case, i beg to differ.

hahahah . . Sauron makes sense!! WHOOOOOOO!!!! *pops champagne*
Re: The Best Striker In The World by A40(m): 10:41pm On Jun 15, 2009
@Krayola
Bobo cut to the chase and simply tell us you can't stand Eto'o and everything would be dandy afterall you even rate Ibrahimovic higher than him! We have analyzed both players in the best way possible and its not hard to tell that Eto'o is better how else do we assess a striker besides primarily his ability to shake the net even in other factors you mentioned there is no clear pointer that Torres is better
Also the fact that Barca has other attacking options other than Eto'o should reduce his tally not increase it.This ir why i rate him higher than Villa and Torres

@Sauron
It is consistency! How easy is it to be a top shota at a club like Barca for the last 5 years make no mistake about it it takes a class act to be that successful don't forget he is African and if he where not performing he would be kicked ou t faster than you could say Eto'o!
And stop dissing Valencia!besides Barca and Madrid no other Spanish club have featured as many times in the UCL (at least recently)
Villa is good too but his goal tally would reduce at Barca because they have more attacking options
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 10:54pm On Jun 15, 2009
A-40:

@Sauron
It is consistency! How easy is it to be a top shota at a club like Barca for the last 5 years make no mistake about it it takes a class act to be that successful

I am not discounting Eto'o's ability. He is a very good striker.
My point is. . . . .Torres/Villa woulda done the same in Eto'o's shoes at Barca.
Look at the players around Eto'o. . . . .He's been playing with the world's best since 2004 till date and his club always play in the UCL.

don't forget he is African and if he where not performing he would be kicked ou t faster than you could say Eto'o!

Drogba is African as well and he is the top DROG at Chelsea.
Ma whole point is, it's been easier for Eto'o than the other 2.
A player averaging 14-17 La Liga goals in Mallorca suddenly turned to 25-30 La Liga goals in Barca.
Of course, players like Messi, Deco, Dinho, Xavi and Iniesta all made impact in his development between 2004-2009.

And stop dissing Valencia!besides Barca and Madrid no other Spanish club have featured as many times in the UCL (at least recently)

Valencia is inferior to Barca and Real Madrid(it's an open secret)
U cannot compare Joaquin, Angulo, Mata and Silva to Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Henry.

Villa is good too but his goal tally would reduce at Barca because they have more attacking options

Villa's goal tally would reduce at Barca but Eto'o's goal tally didn't decrease at Barca?
David Villa would score more than Eto'o as a Barca player.
His international record speaks volume.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by sisqology(m): 11:08pm On Jun 15, 2009
1st: Torres 2nd: Torres 3rd: Eto
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 11:33pm On Jun 15, 2009
A-40:

@Krayola
Bobo cut to the chase and simply tell us you can't stand Eto'o and everything would be dandy afterall you even rate Ibrahimovic higher than him! We have analyzed both players in the best way possible and its not hard to tell that Eto'o is better how else do we assess a striker besides primarily his ability to shake the net even in other factors you mentioned there is no clear pointer that Torres is better
Also the fact that Barca has other attacking options other than Eto'o should reduce his tally not increase it.This ir why i rate him higher than Villa and Torres

I don't think Eto'o is the best striker in the world. You don't agree with me. The rest na story.

I don't think scoring goals at Barca is mission impossible. Eto'o misses more than his fair share of easy chances and still racks in those numbers. Torres would do better, and so would Ibrahimovic in my opinion. Inter and Liverpool don't create half the chances Barca does and their strikers do very well with what they have. I haven't tried to force anybody to agree with me, only stated my reasons. Na by force? grin
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 11:48pm On Jun 15, 2009
Let me ask you this. . . Pep, when he just took over, wanted to sign Adebayor and get rid of Eto'o. why the hell would he want to do that? I think I know a lil bit about football but I doubt i know half as much as Pep.

Look at all those balls Alves sends in that go begging.  Look at how many one on ones Eto'o misses. look at how many times Eto'o gets knocked to the ground when the ball goes right to him from the back line. Torres holds his ground like a champ and muscles his way past with fury. Plays solo up front in LIVERPOOL for fukcs sake and is banging in goals like there is no tomorrow. Since when was Liverpool a team everyone fears to play, and everyone tunes in to watch? I never thought i would see the day i would wake up at 7am, hungover, on a sunday to watch a liverpool game. I have done so several times.

Not to take anything away from Eto'o he scores some amazing goals, and has a great work ethic. . . But I still think Torres is better than him.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by A40(m): 12:12am On Jun 16, 2009
@Sauron
Jackpot! Thats the keyword "woulda" which is rather speculative than anything else.It is not Eto'o's fault that he is in such a good club the important thing is he has delivered

If Drogba where at Barca he would have been kicked out long ago.Them Catalan giants have higher standards!besides till 06/07 he was a waste of space.If you even look at ish critically you would realize that Mallorca is even lower than Athletico and Valencia but that didnt stop Eto'o from shining

My granny knows Valencia are not as good as Barca and Real thats not the argument!but they are not a poor team! They give Barca and Real hell every other season

It may not reduce but it is unlikely it goes higher because you cant take Messi and Henry outta the equation.Can you compare Mallorca to Valencia sef? Besides Eto'o kills it for Cameroun too! He is faultless

@Krayola
No one is forcing you to agree abeg but there is no guarantee that Torres and Ibracadabra (the magician that vanishes in big games)would fare better than Eto'o at Barca! You guys must be clowning! This dude has scored against every member of the big 4! Utd,Arsenal,Chelsea,Liverpool you could do us a favor by giving us cold hard facts on the conversion ratio of all 3 strikers in all competitions and also chances created by all 3 clubs.I love stats and can't live with abstract ish.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by A40(m): 12:26am On Jun 16, 2009
Barca would not have won that treble without Eto'o besides the Adebayor story was a hoax.Pep had a problem with his personality it was more off-field issues than on-field
Now you don't even have an argument on the Torres issue what has his goals won them?They have not won the Principals Cup never mind EPL,UCL or FA cup since signing him maybe they need to sell him so they could snag some silverware.Who is scared of a team that has won nada for 3 seasons? Torres misses chances and i have seen him play like poop too and you can't deny Eto'o's impact in big games you have beef for Eto'o just admit it! It was so glaring from your last post
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 12:47am On Jun 16, 2009
If the footballing community really thought that highly of Eto'o then how come we are yet, even when we were trying to get rid of him, to receive any reasonable offer for him? And why is Barca so willing to let him go. You know Barca tried really hard to get rid of him last season. . but no one wanted to pay top dollar for him, and no one was willing to match his salary, talk less of what he was demanding.

Messi scored 28 goals last season, Henry scored 25 . . . both playing on the wings. Any top class player will score goals playing as our striker. . that Eto'o scores so many goals is nothing special . . Torres, Villa, Ibrahimovic, Henry, Rooney, Drogba, Ruud etc will do as well IMO. They dont get half as many chances and they put up impressive numbers. I've tried to as objective and reasonable as I can, but you guys don't want to even see any sense in the arguments I'm making. U just keep throwing a bunch of stats at me.

AThletico and Liverpool have not won League trophies in God knows how long, and now that they have not won one with Torres is being used against him? how ridiculous!!! Judge the player. . not the team
Re: The Best Striker In The World by A40(m): 1:17am On Jun 16, 2009
@Krayola
Milan,Arsenal,Spurs where all interested last season! You guys where half-stepping y'all didn't want him to leave.Like i said before there is no guarantee any of the names you bandied would succeed at Barca so lets work with the facts on ground because you won't hear me say Eto'o would shine at Liverpool,Utd or any other club for that matter but he has shone like a million stars in his current club Barca thats good enough for me

Again i think it is further indictment on your claim that Torres is better than Eto'o since he is yet to win any trophy for his clubside in at least six seasons if he was all that he should have led his club to something Eto'o did that Mallorca and has had a major role in all of Barca's triumphs since getting there
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 1:43am On Jun 16, 2009
A-40 . . with all due respect, people have made those same arguments in the preceding pages and I have responded to them in very detailed posts. I can't keep typing the same thing over and over again. .

Nobody offered decent money for Eto'o, and I don't see anyone desperately wating in line to sign him now either. For a striker with such a reputation don't you find that odd?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 3:47am On Jun 16, 2009
A-40:

l you could do us a favor by giving us cold hard facts on the conversion ratio of all 3 strikers in all competitions and also chances created by all 3 clubs.I love stats and can't live with abstract ish.

Aight . . . I'm using league games only because there was going to be too much extra adding and shit to get all the other competitions into it. If this ain't good enough for you feel free to do it yourself.

My sources are espn stats pages. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=24257&cc=5901  and http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=11718&cc=5901

Samuel Eto'o was injured for a portion of last season, and Torres for a portion of this season, so i'll compare those two seasons. Samuel Eto'o scored 16 in 18 games so he has a clear advantage.

Last season Etoo scored 16 league goals in 18 games. He took 64 shots and had 36 of them on target. His goals per SOT (shot on target is) is 0.444. His goals per shot taken is 0.25

This season Torres scored 14 goals in 20 games. He took 86 shots and had 31 on target. His goals per SOT is 0.451, his goals per shot taken is 0.162.

Torres narrowly edges him in one relevant stat, and Eto'o clearly has an advantage in the other. Eto'o wins it.

Now I'll compare two seasons where both players were healthy.

Last season Torres scored 24 goals in 29 games. He took 93 shots and had 57 on target. His goals per SOT is  0.421, his goals per shot taken is 0.258.

This season Eto'0 scored 30 goals in 34 starts. He took 155 shots and had 67 on target. His goals per SOT is 0.447, his goals per shot taken is 0.193

Eto'o narrowly edges him out in one stat, Torres clearly has advantage in the other. Torres wins it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eto'o plays for Barcelona, the most attacking minded team in the world.

Torres plays for Liverpool . . . nuff said.

Eto'o was injured in most of 2006. In 2005 it took him 132 shots to score 26 goals. The only season where he was truly outstanding was in 2004 when he scored 24 goals with 47 shots. And if anyone remembers, under Rijkard the system was very intricate, and Ronaldinho and Eto'o were so perfect together that Eto'o used to get the most beautiful of chances. It was new to Liga then and the defences were caught off guard. He has since struggled to produce that kind of form.

Personally i still don't think these stats show anything . .like I said I'm not big on stats, but you insisted. For example I think Rooney is top draw even though he has never put up very impressive numbers. I always thought Higuain was a special player before he came big for Madrid of late. His numbers were previously woeful.

It is unfortunate that you think I have something against Eto'o. He is a Barca player and has won us lots of trophies so i have mad love 4 him. But I don't bring sentiment into my analysis. He gets paid millions to do a job, so if there are more efficient players out there I would rather see them playing for my Club.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 4:15am On Jun 16, 2009
Etoo plays for a team where goal scoring responsibilities are shared unlike in Liverpool where all goal scoring duties are by Torres and Gerrard,

Do not forget Etoo spent 5-6weeks at the Nations cup last season which would have affected his goals tally
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 4:26am On Jun 16, 2009
haha. . you guys no just wan gree sha

I never said i was going to show beyond a shadow of a doubt that Torres is better than Eto'o. I'm just saying that people that say he is have very good reasons to say so. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Although i admit it would be nice to change someone's mind  grin . .but I know boys no dey gree so it's still all good.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 2:03pm On Jun 16, 2009
dayokanu:

Etoo plays for a team where goal scoring responsibilities are shared unlike in Liverpool where all goal scoring duties are by Torres and Gerrard,

Responsibilities are shared but he still took 155 shots. 52 more than Torres, and only scored 6 more goals than Torres.

dayokanu:

Do not forget Etoo spent 5-6weeks at the Nations cup last season which would have affected his goals tally

I measured number of shots taken, the stats aren't affected by his absence. Besides Eto'o still played 5 more games than Torres so ur argument isn't valid.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by DrKitaun(m): 4:45pm On Jun 16, 2009
Villa shits on them both currently . . .

but over time, Etoo has been phenomenal . . .

who and where was Torres couple of seasons ago ? IN THE LAND OF OBSCURITY !

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT ! cheesy

ETOO IS CLASS, TORRES IS STILL COMING UP, IT REMAINS TO BE SEEN IF HE CAN STAND THE TEST OF TIME . . .

WITH ALL THE NOISE MADE THEN, WHERE IS RONALDINHO TODAY ?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 16, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

Good talk Dr. Kit. Eto'o had been around before Ronaldinho, and today after Ronnie, Eto'o is still up there with the best. Eto'o deserves some respect.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by jalether(m): 5:12pm On Jun 16, 2009
It is absolutely impossible to win an argument on this forum grin, this can go on forever

C ronaldo is currently portugals best player/winger, does that suggest he is better than the legendary

L Figo of 2000-2002 offcourse not, using Torres form at athletico madrid is competely useless in the context

of this argument.

sentiments apart i think villa and Torres are the top two candidates other strikers including Eto'o falls behind
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 6:14pm On Jun 16, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

Villa shits on them both currently . . .

No he does not. But since all you look at is number of goals scored I can see how you would think that.

Dr Kitaun:

but over time, Etoo has been phenomenal . . .

This isn't a longevity contest.

Dr Kitaun:

who and where was Torres couple of seasons ago ? IN THE LAND OF OBSCURITY !

Thats a rather shallow statement IMO.

Dr Kitaun:

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT ! cheesy
ETOO IS CLASS

I agree
Dr Kitaun:

, TORRES IS STILL COMING UP, IT REMAINS TO BE SEEN IF HE CAN STAND THE TEST OF TIME . . .

That Ronaldinho destroyed his career does not change the fact that he was the best player in the world 3 years ago. Like I said, this is not a longevity contest.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by DrKitaun(m): 6:21pm On Jun 16, 2009
The best striker in the world ?

when ?

for the longevity of this thread ?

na wa o embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tricks On How To Win Football Betting In Naija / Nigeria Vs Congo: What Is Your Prediction? / Winners Golden Bet Introduces Special Bonanza For Their Agents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.